[Vanguard ongoing glitches, August 12-13, 2019]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bck63

Re: [Vanguard ongoing glitches, August 12-13, 2019]

Post by bck63 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:08 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm
Although the website pales in comparison to Fidelity (the only other management company I'm familiar with), it's important to note that a broken website cannot break your investments. There is no concern that your money will disappear.
Actually I have funds at both Fidelity and Vanguard and much prefer the Vanguard site, for one overriding reason. I'm reading "Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig, and I notice as I read that the Fidelity website is set up specifically to prompt you to ACT (that is, to trade). For example, the most prominent piece of information is the daily gain or loss. This, says Zweig, is one of the main pieces of information that will prompt someone to trade, even though your total balance is much more relevant and important.

I then noticed that Vanguard does not make it overly easy for you to find that information. You have to dig, just a little. Not much, but a little. It's as if Vanguard is doing what it can to protect you from your own behavioral mistakes.

I like Fidelity a lot. But I always maintain my awareness that Fidelity is a profit-making company, and that I am an *owner* at Vanguard.

Angst

Post by Angst » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:35 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm
Angst wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:36 pm
...I feel at least a bit better off knowing that between Treasury Direct, Fidelity, my 529 and HSA providers and a couple other outside fund companies, about 25% of my financial assets are not held by Vanguard.
Although the website pales in comparison to Fidelity (the only other management company I'm familiar with), it's important to note that a broken website cannot break your investments. There is no concern that your money will disappear.

See the wiki: Vanguard safety (Custody)
[Snip...]
My bolding.
As it is though, JPMorgan Chase was not involved in the recovery of my missing (disappeared) transaction from yesterday, and to my understanding, if I had not been on top of this and intervened by calling Vanguard, I have no way of knowing for sure that the transaction would ever have re-posted to my account on its own. This is a big deal. Bringing up the standard 3rd party custodian facts that cover all mutual fund companies in the context of my post is somewhat of a distraction.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 pm

bck63 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:08 pm
Actually I have funds at both Fidelity and Vanguard and much prefer the Vanguard site, for one overriding reason. I'm reading "Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig, and I notice as I read that the Fidelity website is set up specifically to prompt you to ACT (that is, to trade). For example, the most prominent piece of information is the daily gain or loss. This, says Zweig, is one of the main pieces of information that will prompt someone to trade, even though your total balance is much more relevant and important.
Click the "Customize" button on the Fidelity Summary page to choose which information cards to show or not show.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 pm
bck63 wrote:
Click the "Customize" button on the Fidelity Summary page to choose which information cards to show or not show.
That daily gain/loss isn't an information card, and to my knowledge can't be hidden or removed. It's across the top of the summary page with the accounts total. If you know how to remove or hide it, I would welcome the info.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

bck63 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 pm
tuningfork wrote:
bck63 wrote:
That daily gain/loss isn't an information card, and to my knowledge can't be hidden or removed. It's across the top of the summary page with the accounts total. If you know how to remove or hide it, I would welcome the info.
Oh I see now. It's funny the way my brain works, I tend to not see headlines in large print at the top of a page, instead focusing on the content. Trips me up occasionally. No, I don't see a direct way to hide that, although you could use a browser extension that can modify the html code to hide that <div> element.

Logging into my Vanguard account, I notice the top of every page shows the current market index prices with green/red indicators for today's gain/loss. Seems like an investor susceptible to act on such information would be likely to panic if they saw a red 500 point loss on the Dow, just as if they saw a red dollar loss. Smaller font than Fidelity, but it's at the top and it's on every page.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm
bck63 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 pm
tuningfork wrote:
bck63 wrote:
Oh I see now. It's funny the way my brain works, I tend to not see headlines in large print at the top of a page, instead focusing on the content. Trips me up occasionally. No, I don't see a direct way to hide that, although you could use a browser extension that can modify the html code to hide that <div> element.

Logging into my Vanguard account, I notice the top of every page shows the current market index prices with green/red indicators for today's gain/loss. Seems like an investor susceptible to act on such information would be likely to panic if they saw a red 500 point loss on the Dow, just as if they saw a red dollar loss. Smaller font than Fidelity, but it's at the top and it's on every page.
Ahhhh...I didn't notice that. Looking at it now. And no way to get rid of that either. Maybe my answer is to not sign in so much. 8-)

pokebowl

Post by pokebowl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:30 am

Site glitches continue into this morning. I am finding on both mobile and on computer, parts of their website are not redirecting correctly or spitting out scripting errors. Example when I went to delete a secure message from my inbox, it spits out a scripting error:
bug fix: first element can't be script

You have selected to display:
Statement and transaction confirmations
None
Nullius in verba.