Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
dbr
Posts: 31348
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by dbr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 am

beyou wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am
miamivice wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
My experience when I call a company. (Not actual story, but representative)

Me: <rings Vanguard>

Rep: How can I help you?

Me: I would like to buy 2 shares of Amazon

Rep: Oh, you should know that Vanguard recommends buying low cost index funds rather than individual stocks. individual stocks are high risk.

Me: I would like to buy 2 shares of Amazon

Rep: OK. However, you have $5,000 in your account and we cannot sell you fractional shares. What would you like to do?

Me: I would like to buy 2 shares of Amazon

Rep: Sir, I am trying to help you here but I am finding your question difficult. Can you phrase your question in a different way?

Me: <click> <Goes online>
I think he is trying to demonstrate an interaction where the rep is just completely off base regarding how he responds to the request. One step is inappropriate unsolicited advice and the next step is a non-sequitor objection when there is enough in the account to buy 2 shares. The last step is that the conversation concludes with the rep being completely helpless. I don't know if that is common with Vangaurd Flagship reps, but that is the point being made. It could be those reps really are intentionally helpless when asked to do something that is not what they think their job is, such as purchase shares. In that case the response should be that he is not able to do that but that it can be done by placing the order on line, and that if the customer does not know how to do that he can connect him with an agent who can walk him through it.
Ridiculous, Flagship reps where NEVER intended to fill orders/make trades.

WWV
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 am
Location: Northwest of Chicago

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by WWV » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 am

My 2 cents

Current FS rep is great-they were around for a while-will miss them. Found them very helpful when I had to deal with a relatives death and handle financial issues. Much better than the contradictory information we got from different reps every time we went into Chase branch.

Wife has talked to FS rep-found them easy to work with. A comfort to me in case of my untimely demise-she had a point of contact. Probably the most valuable thing for us. (Side question-anyone have knowledge where a remaining spouse contacted generic Vanguard-what was the experience?)

Previous FS rep was no where as good.

"You don't know what you got till its gone"

Agree that Vanguard should have "indexed" the qualifications for FS-but I guess they did with FS Select. I seem to recall at one time the step above FS was $10 million-but now "only" $5 M.

Bob
"The average investor has only 11,000 more genes than a worm"-New York Times

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm

ee_guy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm
As others suggested, this may be dependent upon asset level. I received this last week:

"I wanted to let you know that I recently accepted a new position within Vanguard. With my transition, you'll be assigned a new Flagship representative. You should expect to receive more information about your representative in September."
Got the same email today, as did a relative with funds I oversee.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

RetiredArtist
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by RetiredArtist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

For decades my only Vanguard investments were modest retirement funds. There was a bad mix-up (contributions from 2 different employers were mingled). As a plebeian, I spoke to a different inexperienced rep each time--this pot luck approach meant each rep had their own take on what to do next. I did not have a desk job & could not be phoned at work, so I could only speak to Vanguard on Saturday mornings. These were the days before cell phones & email; it took several years to untangle.
Later my assets rose to Flagship level. For several years, I faced a complicated situation (trustee situations, distributions, rollovers, transfers). My Flagship rep could not have been more helpful, especially with Vanguard's puzzling forms. He was deservedly promoted a few years ago.
My current rep is fine, & I do find it convenient to make phone appointments. If my rep becomes a team, and I had a problem, I would ask that one rep be assigned to see it through.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:25 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm
ee_guy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm
As others suggested, this may be dependent upon asset level. I received this last week:

"I wanted to let you know that I recently accepted a new position within Vanguard. With my transition, you'll be assigned a new Flagship representative. You should expect to receive more information about your representative in September."
Got the same email today, as did a relative with funds I oversee.
Strange. Back in January I got an email stating that my Flagship rep was away on leave but that I could work with any available rep. No further communication. Recently I noticed that there is no longer any rep listed on my account page.

Maybe I should troll Vanguard by calling and asking when my rep will be back … or a new one assigned. :twisted:

User avatar
laughlinlvr
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: ID, NV

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by laughlinlvr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Hmmm... So many posters saying they didn't use a flagship rep and therefore don't care the service is going away, and many others posting how much more brilliant they are at getting things done directly on the website.
I will miss my rep a lot. She came to know our situation from the cash flow crunch caused by emergency bypass surgery through the benefits of real estate arbitrage from the Northeast to rural intermountain America. I made a point of calling her this week to say goodbye in person. After a pleasant several minutes she made a plea that I put in place the cognitive decline agent. (There's been a recent Vanguard mailing on this topic.) She said she had personally witnessed the draining of two clients' accounts through elder abuse. You won't get that through a website.
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm

laughlinlvr wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Hmmm... So many posters saying they didn't use a flagship rep and therefore don't care the service is going away, and many others posting how much more brilliant they are at getting things done directly on the website.
I will miss my rep a lot. She came to know our situation from the cash flow crunch caused by emergency bypass surgery through the benefits of real estate arbitrage from the Northeast to rural intermountain America. I made a point of calling her this week to say goodbye in person. After a pleasant several minutes she made a plea that I put in place the cognitive decline agent. (There's been a recent Vanguard mailing on this topic.) She said she had personally witnessed the draining of two clients' accounts through elder abuse. You won't get that through a website.
Are you referring to the "trusted contact" info one gives to Vanguard?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by heartwood » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm

My mileage varies from most comments above. I've had a number of flagship reps over the years. I recall that all added value. My last two have been outstanding. My current rep has been with me for maybe 5 yrs+/-. i call him for any reason (probably a half dozen times a year): I need checks; how do I transfer funds from my account to our trust, etc. He answers the phone directly 80% of the time. He knows me and my extended family after all this time. My issues are varied but usually not complex. He's like an excellent concierge at an upscale hotel. I find it so much easier to talk with him than start from scratch with whomever answers the phone, although I have few complaints with that either.
I've had no notice that our relationship might end.

Gnirk
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Gnirk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:05 pm

Just received this email from my flagship representative:

"Dear XXXXXX

First and foremost, I hope this email finds you well.

I wanted to let you know that an upcoming change will result in my transition into a different role within Vanguard. With my
transition, you’ll be assigned a new Flagship representative. You should expect to receive more information about your
representative in September.

If you should need anything in the meantime, there’s a team of Flagship representatives who will be glad to assist you. You
may reach them at 800-345-1344 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern time.

Please know that it has truly been a pleasure working with you.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Vanguard.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
Registered Representative
Vanguard Flagship Services"


I really enjoyed working with him, and I'm sorry to see he will no longer be our Flagship Representative. I find it interesting that the message says that we will be assigned a new representative, with others getting emails that they no longer have a flagship representative. We'll see what happens.

LongAlpha
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by LongAlpha » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 pm

I believe that all Flagship primary ($1m-$5m) assigned representatives are going away. Flagship Select ($5+) will remain.

I don't believe this to be a cost cutting move but rather a realignment of business resources. As others have mentioned, Vanguard has been testing the waters on this team-based service model for a few years and has found it successful.

Most people only need an assigned rep when they are going through something that requires more than one touch. Your mutual fund trade or form request can be handled by most phone reps at the firm. For those scenarios that require more than one touch, my understanding is that you will be assigned someone to see it through. Again, this model has been in place on a limited basis for a few years now.

Flagship Select is a different story largely because it still makes sense to allocate resources accordingly. There are sufficient clients in FS Select that have frequent complex request (numerous time sensitive large in-kind charitable distributions right at year end, private equity cap calls, ect.), and having people familiar with those requests is significantly more efficient than having a bullpen field the call and have to figure all the details out live.

While there are a lot of people who value their FS rep, for the large part, you'll be serviced the same way. And it will likely be more efficient.

Rather than looking at the "loss" here, taking a step back and evaluating this as Vanguard making tough, but well-informed, strategic decisions to improve their business is a management quality I find appealing.

User avatar
asset_chaos
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by asset_chaos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Just received this email from my flagship representative:

"Dear XXXXXX

First and foremost, I hope this email finds you well.

I wanted to let you know that an upcoming change will result in my transition into a different role within Vanguard. With my
transition, you’ll be assigned a new Flagship representative. You should expect to receive more information about your
representative in September.

If you should need anything in the meantime, there’s a team of Flagship representatives who will be glad to assist you. You
may reach them at 800-345-1344 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern time.

Please know that it has truly been a pleasure working with you.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Vanguard.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
Registered Representative
Vanguard Flagship Services"


I really enjoyed working with him, and I'm sorry to see he will no longer be our Flagship Representative. I find it interesting that the message says that we will be assigned a new representative, with others getting emails that they no longer have a flagship representative. We'll see what happens.
Just got one of those too. I can't remember if this will be the 4th or 5th rep in the 15 or so years I've been flagship, but the note does say we'll be assigned another specific rep.
Regards, | | Guy

pyld76
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by pyld76 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:36 am

LongAlpha wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 pm

I don't believe this to be a cost cutting move but rather a realignment of business resources. As others have mentioned, Vanguard has been testing the waters on this team-based service model for a few years and has found it successful.

Most people only need an assigned rep when they are going through something that requires more than one touch. Your mutual fund trade or form request can be handled by most phone reps at the firm. For those scenarios that require more than one touch, my understanding is that you will be assigned someone to see it through. Again, this model has been in place on a limited basis for a few years now.
So, preface this by stating that I and DW aren't flagship worthy yet (at VG) because my 401k cannot be held there. That said, my parents have had a flagship rep for awhile, and are losing her (they got the "dear john" email referenced above). Some thoughts:

Vanguard's move to a "team based service model" is only "successful" if you only need a transaction involving that team. I've had them mess up a few things which must cross teams in the past couple of years because, contrary to what you are stating, there is nobody assigned to see it thru absent Flagship qualification. It's straight up workflow absent any context or ownership. And, to be brutally candid, this shows.

My folks have had a very diametrically opposite experience. They have had complex issues which we basically know cross the "team/process" lines within VG, but presumably the FS rep owned/chased the issue to resolution. (I've seen this as I hold their POAs and am involved in these things as they occur)

So, you can call it whatever you'd like, but my observation is that VG really isn't very good at any process that involves any manner of complexity. Eliminating "advocates" (whose role is to smooth that out for high NW clients) is cost cutting, not any sort of resource optimization.

It's commodiization/Walmartization. VG makes very good product (index funds and ETFs). They don't do services well at all. This move doesn't do anything except reinforce that.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Within the previous month, we received notification that our family’s rep (all accounts were linked due to the consolidation of assets for accounts using the same mailing address — PO Box with most communication being digital) would be taking another job within Vanguard and that we’d be assigned a new rep. We’d had him for probably about 7 years. For a couple of weeks after that, he remained our assigned rep, and we even communicated once. Then, at least once when I logged in, we showed no rep assigned. Now, sure enough, we have a new guy. So it’s not completely transparent how they decide who has an assigned rep and who doesn’t. We are not Flagship Select level. I have interacted with the rep quite a bit, usually on technical matters (and mostly before I joined Bogleheads), so maybe that level of usage factored in. I would be fine without one as long as messages and calls continued to be answered promptly. Sometimes they were addressed by other reps such as when the primary was on vacation or otherwise out of the office. As we simplify the portfolios (my task), there will be less need to interact with a rep, as others have rightly pointed out.

renue74
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by renue74 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Within the previous month, we received notification that our family’s rep (all accounts were linked due to the consolidation of assets for accounts using the same mailing address — PO Box with most communication being digital) would be taking another job within Vanguard and that we’d be assigned a new rep. We’d had him for probably about 7 years. For a couple of weeks after that, he remained our assigned rep, and we even communicated once. Then, at least once when I logged in, we showed no rep assigned. Now, sure enough, we have a new guy. So it’s not completely transparent how they decide who has an assigned rep and who doesn’t. We are not Flagship Select level. I have interacted with the rep quite a bit, usually on technical matters (and mostly before I joined Bogleheads), so maybe that level of usage factored in. I would be fine without one as long as messages and calls continued to be answered promptly. Sometimes they were addressed by other reps such as when the primary was on vacation or otherwise out of the office. As we simplify the portfolios (my task), there will be less need to interact with a rep, as others have rightly pointed out.
I met a Vanguard employee in Charlotte last month at a meetup. He said that the reps may be reassigned and that some low maintenance accounts would probably not have reps. He said that the "high" maintenance accounts would still have a personal assigned rep. He said basically clients who call in a lot or have a lot of messaging about their accounts.

I still have my original rep. I only message a few times per year and every time I do, I always get a response from somebody else with an answer or a phone # to call....not my personal rep.

I don't really care. I get my answers either way.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Good insight. I feel the same way, but I kind of hate that I’ve created the perception of a high-maintenance account. Yeah, I’ve asked questions and sought clarity when appropriate, but that’s how I learn. I’d rather understand the impacts of a decision up front than act impulsively and then come on Bogleheads and complain about Vanguard’s poor customer service.

Mopar440
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Mopar440 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 pm

I received an email from may old Flagship rep in August that he was moving to a new role at Vanguard. He said that I would be assigned a new rep in September. Sure enough today a new Flagship rep has appeared on my account page. I use my rep once in awhile. Hopefully this one speaks better English than the last, was very hard to understand.

Nutmeg
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Nutmeg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm

He said that the "high" maintenance accounts would still have a personal assigned rep. He said basically clients who call in a lot or have a lot of messaging about their accounts.
This has not been my experience. My accounts are probably more high maintenance than most because I have made some transactions as attorney in fact and have needed help with transfers and other issues recently.

My dedicated Flagship Representative was removed from my account with no notice. On two of the last four phone calls with random Flagship reps, my call was cut off and the rep didn’t call me back, so I had to start over with a new rep. Our last contact with Vanguard resulted in Vanguard stopping email notifications for the accounts for which I am agent, and the rep said that only way that could be fixed would be for the principal to contact Vanguard. That was disappointing because the reason the principal named me as agent was that the principal didn’t want to have to deal with mutual funds. We are fortunate that the principal is not incapacitated.

I am very disappointed with the current level of customer service and the assistance I have received from random Flagship reps.

azanon
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by azanon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:01 am

So we all know what these "new roles" they're moving to are - Vanguard Personal Advisory Services, right? Supposedly, they're way understaffed or it has been more successful than they anticipated so there's going to be more revenue for Vanguard seeing to it that VPAS is as good as possible vs. keeping Flagship+ investors happy that aren't paying extra for an advisor.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Makes sense.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 am

My new Flagship representative appeared on my account today. In checking LinkedIn, he has a Bachelor's degree in Finance, and has not worked anywhere but Vanguard in his 2.3 years of employment. Have not heard from him as of yet.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by bertilak » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 am
My new Flagship representative appeared on my account today. In checking LinkedIn, he has a Bachelor's degree in Finance, and has not worked anywhere but Vanguard in his 2.3 years of employment. Have not heard from him as of yet.
That's odd. MY Flagship Rep vanished a while back. I thought specifically-assigned reps were taken away yet you got a new one. Perhaps there is a step above Flagship where assigned reps were still the norm.

Do you happen to be enrolled in PAS? Perhaps the "P" in PAS really means something!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

azanon
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by azanon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:15 am

bertilak wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 am
My new Flagship representative appeared on my account today. In checking LinkedIn, he has a Bachelor's degree in Finance, and has not worked anywhere but Vanguard in his 2.3 years of employment. Have not heard from him as of yet.
That's odd. MY Flagship Rep vanished a while back. I thought specifically-assigned reps were taken away yet you got a new one. Perhaps there is a step above Flagship where assigned reps were still the norm.

Do you happen to be enrolled in PAS? Perhaps the "P" in PAS really means something!
bertilak - for anyone over 500K enrolled in PAS, will get a specific financial advisor assigned to them. So yes, for over 500K, it definitely does. Under 500K, you get a "team of professions" which is a nicer way of saying, whoever's available at the time you want to meet.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:12 pm

bertilak wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 am
My new Flagship representative appeared on my account today. In checking LinkedIn, he has a Bachelor's degree in Finance, and has not worked anywhere but Vanguard in his 2.3 years of employment. Have not heard from him as of yet.
That's odd. MY Flagship Rep vanished a while back. I thought specifically-assigned reps were taken away yet you got a new one. Perhaps there is a step above Flagship where assigned reps were still the norm.

Do you happen to be enrolled in PAS? Perhaps the "P" in PAS really means something!
I am not enrolled in PAS.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Big Dog
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Big Dog » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:24 pm

renue74 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:39 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Within the previous month, we received notification that our family’s rep (all accounts were linked due to the consolidation of assets for accounts using the same mailing address — PO Box with most communication being digital) would be taking another job within Vanguard and that we’d be assigned a new rep. We’d had him for probably about 7 years. For a couple of weeks after that, he remained our assigned rep, and we even communicated once. Then, at least once when I logged in, we showed no rep assigned. Now, sure enough, we have a new guy. So it’s not completely transparent how they decide who has an assigned rep and who doesn’t. We are not Flagship Select level. I have interacted with the rep quite a bit, usually on technical matters (and mostly before I joined Bogleheads), so maybe that level of usage factored in. I would be fine without one as long as messages and calls continued to be answered promptly. Sometimes they were addressed by other reps such as when the primary was on vacation or otherwise out of the office. As we simplify the portfolios (my task), there will be less need to interact with a rep, as others have rightly pointed out.
I met a Vanguard employee in Charlotte last month at a meetup. He said that the reps may be reassigned and that some low maintenance accounts would probably not have reps. He said that the "high" maintenance accounts would still have a personal assigned rep. He said basically clients who call in a lot or have a lot of messaging about their accounts.

I still have my original rep. I only message a few times per year and every time I do, I always get a response from somebody else with an answer or a phone # to call....not my personal rep.

I don't really care. I get my answers either way.
Hmm, I call Vanguard once every few years, but still have a Flag rep assigned....(at least as of today!)

Swimmer
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Swimmer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:24 pm
renue74 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:39 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Within the previous month, we received notification that our family’s rep (all accounts were linked due to the consolidation of assets for accounts using the same mailing address — PO Box with most communication being digital) would be taking another job within Vanguard and that we’d be assigned a new rep. We’d had him for probably about 7 years. For a couple of weeks after that, he remained our assigned rep, and we even communicated once. Then, at least once when I logged in, we showed no rep assigned. Now, sure enough, we have a new guy. So it’s not completely transparent how they decide who has an assigned rep and who doesn’t. We are not Flagship Select level. I have interacted with the rep quite a bit, usually on technical matters (and mostly before I joined Bogleheads), so maybe that level of usage factored in. I would be fine without one as long as messages and calls continued to be answered promptly. Sometimes they were addressed by other reps such as when the primary was on vacation or otherwise out of the office. As we simplify the portfolios (my task), there will be less need to interact with a rep, as others have rightly pointed out.
I met a Vanguard employee in Charlotte last month at a meetup. He said that the reps may be reassigned and that some low maintenance accounts would probably not have reps. He said that the "high" maintenance accounts would still have a personal assigned rep. He said basically clients who call in a lot or have a lot of messaging about their accounts.

I still have my original rep. I only message a few times per year and every time I do, I always get a response from somebody else with an answer or a phone # to call....not my personal rep.

I don't really care. I get my answers either way.
Hmm, I call Vanguard once every few years, but still have a Flag rep assigned....(at least as of today!)

+1

User avatar
JaneyLH
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by JaneyLH » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I just logged into Vanguard and see I have a new rep! Disappointed I didn't get a personal (well, sort of) email to advise me of the transition. I have had two reps in 5 years and liked them both. The first helped me massively while transitioning my portfolio to a 3-fund (mostly) and the second helped us when my husband took over as POA for his aging father, who has an account with Vanguard. I usually ask whoever is available if I had a brief transactional question, but like the ability to set up an appointment with someone so I could be assured I'd get a full 30 minutes of someone's time.

I clicked the box to set up an appointment so I could get acquainted with the new rep, but only got "The information is temporarily unavailable. Try again later. " in response. :?

We're closer to $5M than to $1M, so I'm hoping we won't lose our rep entirely.

Gnirk
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Gnirk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 am

I also checked my Vanguard page, and found I have a new Flagship rep assigned to me. Her photo and extension are displayed on my page. And my DH has the same new rep on his page.

Checked her profile on LinkedIn: She's been with Vanguard for 6 years, and prior to that she was a stage manager and operations assistant at ESPN. :shock:

I hope she's as helpful as my previous long-time rep.

Hamburglar123
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:31 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Hamburglar123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 am
I also checked my Vanguard page, and found I have a new Flagship rep assigned to me. Her photo and extension are displayed on my page. And my DH has the same new rep on his page.

Checked her profile on LinkedIn: She's been with Vanguard for 6 years, and prior to that she was a stage manager and operations assistant at ESPN. :shock:

I hope she's as helpful as my previous long-time rep.
Gnirk, I actually know that Flagship rep as she was my MIL's for a long time until she lost her with the rep change from $1-5mil. Assuming her initials are AM? She is amazing and my MIL was actually heartbroken to lose her. As far as customer service goes, she is top notch.

Gnirk
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Gnirk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Hamburglar123 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am
Gnirk wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 am
I also checked my Vanguard page, and found I have a new Flagship rep assigned to me. Her photo and extension are displayed on my page. And my DH has the same new rep on his page.

Checked her profile on LinkedIn: She's been with Vanguard for 6 years, and prior to that she was a stage manager and operations assistant at ESPN. :shock:

I hope she's as helpful as my previous long-time rep.
Gnirk, I actually know that Flagship rep as she was my MIL's for a long time until she lost her with the rep change from $1-5mil. Assuming her initials are AM? She is amazing and my MIL was actually heartbroken to lose her. As far as customer service goes, she is top notch.
Thank you, good to know. I had an issue last week...entirely my fault...and she graciously fixed my doozy of a screw-up. I give her an A+!

bhsince87
Posts: 2642
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:27 pm

I just got a glossy flyer in the snail mail today telling me about "Vanguard Personal Advisor Services".

It seems to imply that I can now get a team of specialists who will work for me and with me.

And for the record, I've never used a Vanguard advisor for anything in the past.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Scooter57
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Scooter57 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm

The "Personal Advisory Service" is a paid service that will cost you a non-trivial percentage of your assets under management. Not like the free dedicated rep. And all they will do is invest your assets in a boilerplate way based on the most superficial assessment of your needs. A whole different thing, and very unlikely to provide any actual personal relationship. It would be very interesting to know how many customers each of those PAS reps has to serve.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Personal Flagship Representaive Going Away

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:28 pm

I'm kinda wondering when Vanguard will rollout their digital robo service.

Right now I don't need any help, but I might later on. And DW will certainly need some help when I am no longer capable, or just not around any longer.

Has anyone seen the Vanguard product yet? Schwab's robo pricing is pretty low, but I don't want to move anything. I would rather use Vanguard.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Post Reply