Hitting Critical Mass and then dealing with those feelings of Surreal

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
B. Wellington

Re: Hitting Critical Mass and then dealing with those feelings of Surreal

Post by B. Wellington » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am

Carol88888 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 am
When I was first starting out investing every unanticipated expense like replacing a vacuum cleaner caused me a lot of anguish because it was less money to invest. A big veterinarian bill - same hand wringing.

But now I feel like I have more than achieved more than I hope and one of greatest benefits is just being free of distress to handle these minor "catastrophes" without thinking about it.

Also, I have been able to give money away to friend in dire straits. Nothing drives home the feeling of abundance more than realizing that one can comfortably do this.

I like to eat in restaurants but if I don't eat at home to balance it out, the pleasure of it wears off.

I am going to be traveling outside of the country this year but it is the first time in over 10 years that I have done this. It's almost like I have to take the trip so that I don't regret not taking it down the road. (But actually I might be just as happy staying here - if that makes sense).

My suggestion is to go slow and savor what you have earned. But as to that extra $8 for the meal - I say enjoy!
Right there with you Carol. I try to remind the DW (and myself) of how far we have come on this incredible journey and that we no longer have to "sweat the small stuff" and (most) of it really is small stuff if you stop and think about it. Having the ability to help family and friends in some way also helps keep things in perspective.

That said, we are still basically the same frugal couple we always have been only with more freedom and choices than before. We are just as "happy" staying at home sometimes (after years of long hours working and travel) as taking a vacation.

Today, I try to tune out as much of the noise surrounding the financial news as possible. The BH community has opened my eyes to the amount
of misinformation that bombards us on a daily basis. Take time to just enjoy the day and sit back and enjoy the journey. :beer

abonder

Re: Hitting Critical Mass and then dealing with those feelings of Surreal

Post by abonder » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:58 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:50 am
peterinjapan wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:10 pm
I've got a large enough portfolio that I was down $100k in two days in the February 2018 VIX-tantrum, and am up or down $15k pretty much weekly, so the depression is real. You see so many posts here that make Bogleheads looks like Zen Masters who never experience the slightest concern about their portfolios, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of "mask-wearing" going on.
Yeah, there’s a lot of “whistling past the graveyard” on BH.

As Mike Tyson said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Love this quote as it says so much with great brevity. Hard to imagine somebody as controversial and seemingly unhinged as the great Mike Tyson could show such Insight.