Can't contact VG & "Your account information is temporarily unavailable"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
RetireBy55

Can't contact VG & "Your account information is temporarily unavailable"

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 am

[merged two other similar threads and their replies into this one - moderator prudent]

Anyone know if there's a Vanguard outage at the moment? I tried logging on (to both my and DW's account - I'm an agent for her) and get "Your account information is temporarily unavailable".

Tried calling the Flagship line..didn't answer (just rang) first time. Got through second time and after entering last 4 of SSN I just get a repeating series of chirping sounds after it says "let me try to transfer you". Same thing happens calling the non-Flagship line.

Disconcerting at best..anyone else having an issue?

jhfenton

Re: Can't contact VG & "Your account information is temporarily unavailable"

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am

I'm seeing the same thing on the website. I haven't tried to call.

aaflygirl

Post by aaflygirl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am

Same thing happening to me!

roadnottaken

Post by roadnottaken » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am

It was down for me for about 5 minutes, but looks like it's back-up again

jaxinvestor

Post by jaxinvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 am

Same here. How often does this happen? Very frustrating....

Topic Author
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am

Still no luck logging on..

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

roadnottaken wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am
It was down for me for about 5 minutes, but looks like it's back-up again
It's still squirrelly. I was able to get to the Yubikey challenge page, but that threw an error. And now I'm back to the same unavailable message.

z-man

Post by z-man » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

Re-prompted for security auth text and now just spins.. They should probably do maintenance after hours :oops:

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am

Maybe they are using their limited computing resources to calculate 2nd quarter distributions :beer
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

92irish

Post by 92irish » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:04 am

Wouldn't be surprised if it is a denial of service attack - where hackers try to overwhelm a website and keep people from logging on. It seems hackers like to do this during a time when there is large swing in the market (strong open today), as it bothers people that might be trying to buy and sell. This happens to a lot of financial institutions - couple years ago Schwab was getting harassed a lot with this problem.

aaflygirl

Post by aaflygirl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 am

92irish...I think you are right.

Topic Author
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 am

DOS most likely wouldn't affect the call-in lines.

I can't even get through on the Flagship #. Just rings. Main, non-flagship # is also gorked - was prompted to enter zip code and it wasn't able to recognize what I entered.

samsdad

problem logging into Vanguard

Post by samsdad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:09 am

I'm trying to login and keep getting this response this morning (June 18, ~ 10:57 am eastern):
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I'm able to login to Fidelity without any problem whatsoever (and have never had a problem with them).

I've seen other posts about having problems logging into Vanguard periodically on this forum, but have dismissed them as de minimus. Now it's happened to me! :shock:

Here's my take: if your credit card doesn't work when you need it to, it ain't a credit card, it's a piece of plastic. If your car doesn't work when you need it to, it's just an object on four wheels. If I can't access my investments when I need to, then what good is the place where I keep them?

I love Vanguard, but if I can't rely on them to give me access when I want (save for pre-announced outages, of course), then they are at fault, and I'm at fault for continuing to use them. Perhaps Vanguard should spend a little extra $$$ and upgrade or expand their IT department. I'd gladly pay an extra bp or two to get uninterrupted access (again, save for weekend-type announced outages).

EDIT:

I just tried again and got this:
Your account information is temporarily unavailable

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later, or contact us for assistance. If you have:

An individual nonretirement or retirement account, call Vanguard Client Services (888-285-4563) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Eastern time.

A Vanguard Brokerage Services issue, call Vanguard Brokerage Services (800-992-8327) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time.

An employer-sponsored retirement plan account, call Vanguard Participant Services (800-523-1188) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern time.

A specific Vanguard representative, call him or her during normal business hours.

A Vanguard Variable Annuity or Fixed Annuity, call Vanguard Annuity & Insurance Services (800-462-2391), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time.

An Institutional Investment Only account, contact us at (800-998-2741), Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5p.m., Eastern time.
EDIT NO. 2:

When I went to return to the homepage I got this:
Our website is undergoing maintenance
We appreciate your patience while our website undergoes scheduled maintenance and is temporarily unavailable.
This is rather disappointing from a place that has $5.3 trillion AUM as of September of last year. Should I expect better?

fsh71

Vanguard down?

Post by fsh71 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am

Mobile app won't login, and after signing in on desktop I get "your account is not available at this time". Can't imagine this was a planned outage at 10am on a Tuesday. Hopefully it's short-lived.

TheDDC

Re: Vanguard down?

Post by TheDDC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 am

fsh71 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am
Mobile app won't login, and after signing in on desktop I get "your account is not available at this time". Can't imagine this was a planned outage at 10am on a Tuesday. Hopefully it's short-lived.
I got in via web and mobile, but the site is dog slow.

-TheDDC

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am

RetireBy55 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 am
DOS most likely wouldn't affect the call-in lines.

I can't even get through on the Flagship #. Just rings. Main, non-flagship # is also gorked - was prompted to enter zip code and it wasn't able to recognize what I entered.
If they are using VoIP lines, it is possible.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am

I just posted the same. It's down for me too.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:15 am

I got in via web. I don't use mobile.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:17 am

It's back up for me at 11:16 eastern.

Vernn

Post by Vernn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am

I had a scheduled appointment and rep just called and said they are down so can't do portfolio review.

Scrapr

Re: problem logging into Vanguard

Post by Scrapr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 am

Just popped in no problem. Maybe reboot your computer?

Topic Author
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

Seems to be back..was finally able to log on.

Not overly confidence building. VG needs to get their act together in terms of IT. So far has consistently been the least impressive of all the different brokerages I work with. There's good corporate expense management..and then there's just plain not investing in your systems and technology to the level you need to in order to run the business and take care of your customers.

fsh71

Post by fsh71 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 am

Vernn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am
I had a scheduled appointment and rep just called and said they are down so can't do portfolio review.
So it's your fault! How complicated is your portfolio that they take down the site to avoid your portfolio review? May I direct you to the wiki --

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 am

I am finding that for some reason that chrome will not connect, but Edge is doing fine....

BTW, I have been having a similar issue with aetna.com for the last week. I am wondering if there was an update in Chrome that is breaking some websites (mostly around access / authentication).

Topic Author
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am

Using FF here..

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 am

I was unable to log in without calling a non-Vanguard brokerage twice within 3 business days due to hacking attempts. No money was lost, but hackers were using current user IDs. The rep told me to not just change my password, but also change my user ID. The brokerage was receiving thousands of hacking attempts daily in many accounts.

I suspect Vanguard is not immune to these attacks either. They could also be receiving thousands of robocalls that tie up the phone lines as has occurred at some hospitals recently.

jst

Post by jst » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

I can't connect right now in Safari or Chrome.

clip651

Post by clip651 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:50 am

jst wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am
I can't connect right now in Safari or Chrome.
That's probably related to this mess:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288016

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

A good reason to have and keep paper statements, just in case.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am
Well that just took a chunk out of my confidence in VG. (but I agree with your point)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
I keep the monthly ones in PDF form and they mail the December one to me - even though I am on edelivery. I would never rely on an institution's system to be the only repository of my statements. For the same reason, I keep track of all my cost basis - even for covered shares.

Not too long ago I was doing taxes for a retiree who brought in her brokerage statement (tax form and year end statement). The two could not be reconciled and I finally noticed that some of the transactions on her tax form were for securities that she never owned. Apparently they had somehow co-mingled her stuff with another client when producing the consolidated tax statement. This was a major brokerage house -- a household name.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
I keep the monthly ones in PDF form and they mail the December one to me - even though I am on edelivery. I would never rely on an institution's system to be the only repository of my statements. For the same reason, I keep track of all my cost basis - even for covered shares.

Not too long ago I was doing taxes for a retiree who brought in her brokerage statement (tax form and year end statement). The two could not be reconciled and I finally noticed that some of the transactions on her tax form were for securities that she never owned. Apparently they had somehow co-mingled her stuff with another client when producing the consolidated tax statement. This was a major brokerage house -- a household name.
Incredible.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm

We have a mutual fund only account structure with year to date statements. At year end we save the annual statement.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"