Anyone buying Beyond Meat stock?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BWildt

Anyone buying Beyond Meat stock?

Post by BWildt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am

Anyone? :D

bloom2708

Re: Anyone buying Beyond Meat stock?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am

Has it been added to the index the Total US Stock index tracks?

If so, yes. If not, no.

Up too fast. Down big. Sounds familiar.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

BWildt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am
I tried to short bynd yesterday in my "fun money" account many times but couldn't borrow any shares.
Perhaps JP was gobbling up all the shares for shorting before releasing their analyst comment today?

David Althaus

Post by David Althaus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Before investing it might be interesting to read the ingredients label and then (as corollary) determine how long it will be before the PC police and some enterprising researcher determine those ingredients are bad for you? Fashions come and go. A delicious Certified Angus beef hamburger endures forever.

All the best

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am

I sold BYND short. Not a large amount, but I had to do something. The "cult" pushed the stock to an insane valuation.
Funding secured

pepys

Post by pepys » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 am

David Althaus wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am
Before investing it might be interesting to read the ingredients label and then (as corollary) determine how long it will be before the PC police and some enterprising researcher determine those ingredients are bad for you? Fashions come and go. A delicious Certified Angus beef hamburger endures forever.

All the best
A huge part of this is environmental and ethical, not just health. It isn't unreasonable to think that once vegetarian burgers taste like the real thing, that a huge number of people will fully or partially switch over, regardless of whether it is healthier. The reasoning I've seen for why people eat the real beef over the vegetarian one is almost always taste (as you said, "delicious"), while they generally concede that the vegetarian one would cause less suffering and be more environmentally friendly.

sjt

Post by sjt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:40 am

"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I had a chance to participate in the IPO but said no after tasting the meat. Had a metallic taste. Obviously, I did not anticipate the astronomical run-up. I have since thought about shorting it.

Gleops2

Post by Gleops2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

BYND shares quite a few of the ingredients in Rachel Ray's DOG FOOD.

I saw a commercial comparing Blue Buffalo Dog Food to Rachel Ray's.....when they ticked off the ingredients in her food, I thought....HMMMMMM....

WHY does that list sound so familiar????

I had looked up "what is Beyond Meat made of" earlier that day, so it had a familiar ring.

While not ALL the ingredients are the same, pea protein is featured in both.

GIve me a juicy fatty rib-eye or a thick juicy medium rare burger made of....beef.

Life is too short to eat "fake meat". When I get to the nursing home and they're serving me mashed pablum for three meals a day, that'll be close enough to substituting real food for me. And I hope I'm senile while I'm eating it.

Bleeechhhhhhh. I will probably regret not buying the stock, because there a LOT of people who will dive into this gimmick, just like they do all the other gimmicky stuff with cutesie names today.

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 pm

This won’t be a small market in the future.

I have no idea if Beyond will last or be profitable, however. I do know that their products are pretty decent. :)

beyou

Post by beyou » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:43 pm

How many have tasted their product and/or their main competitor (Impossible Burger).

Had impossible burger and while it initially tasted good/real, made me sick to my stomach after the meal.
Not sure if BM is any better, will try it but definitely not buying stock in a company whose products make me sick.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Gleops2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I saw a commercial comparing Blue Buffalo Dog Food to Rachel Ray's.....when they ticked off the ingredients in her food, I thought....HMMMMMM....

WHY does that list sound so familiar????

I had looked up "what is Beyond Meat made of" earlier that day, so it had a familiar ring.

While not ALL the ingredients are the same, pea protein is featured in both.
You know meat is dog food, right?

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:45 pm

This type of product is here to stay, but competition will increase. Good acquisition target. Is it worth 7-8 billion? Gotta get those margins up.

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 pm

No, I did try the "meat" from Carls Jr., not sure if it's the impossible or beyond meat, but I wouldn't have it again. I'd have a real one for the price I paid (I think it was $8 for that special burger). It didn't seem worth the price vs the veggie burger we tried from Trader Joes. If it's your thing go for it, I'm sure the vegan/plant based market will expand but not sure how Beyond Meat as a stock will go once Tyson or one of the other giants goes to this space.

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:51 pm

flyphotoguy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 pm
No, I did try the "meat" from Carls Jr., not sure if it's the impossible or beyond meat, but I wouldn't have it again. I'd have a real one for the price I paid (I think it was $8 for that special burger). It didn't seem worth the price vs the veggie burger we tried from Trader Joes. If it's your thing go for it, I'm sure the vegan/plant based market will expand but not sure how Beyond Meat as a stock will go once Tyson or one of the other giants goes to this space.
Nestle already has.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm

I’m confident that this market will take at least 10-20% market share from beef burgers, in the coming years. I’m not confident that Beyond Meat is the company that will beat its competition. If there was a “meatless meat index fund”, I would definitely be an investor. But I just don’t know enough about the company itself to invest in BYND.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 pm

I will buy IOWA farm grow Non_GMO soybean and make myself fresh soy milk every day. If I want meat flavor, I buy costco rotisserie chicken, eat the meat and use chicken bone to make soup stock, put None GMO soy to make a soup. No expensive none meat substitute. You can buy Non-GMO soy from amazon and they ship to you directly from farm. learn to make fresh soy milk and tofu. Soy is very rich in protein.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Well, this non-hamburger stock is certainly on sale today!

It is definitely taking a beating.

I won't be buying the stock or the product. I do believe there is a market for the stuff, but who knows which one will win out?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

richard37

Post by richard37 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 pm

The impossible burger is really good IMO. I enjoy a good burger off the grill and although this isn't quite the same, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Good texture, "bleeds" like meat. Could see myself eating these from time to time and eating less real burgers as a result.

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 pm

The reason this concept will really take off in the long run is down to: it’s already a more environmentally sound method, and will eventually be a more cost effective way, to deliver protein.

Whether it’s healthier for humans is a side issue; it’s definitely healthier for cows. ;)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm
Well, this non-hamburger stock is certainly on sale today!

It is definitely taking a beating.

I won't be buying the stock or the product. I do believe there is a market for the stuff, but who knows which one will win out?

Broken Man 1999
Looks like the short squeeze may be over.

FireAway

Post by FireAway » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Gleops2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm
I just looked at the ingredient list for my dog's food, and apparently one of the main ingredients is the same thing they put in fried chicken: chicken meat. Guess I'm never eating fried chicken again. :oops:

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:03 pm

BWildt, $126/share is what other investors think Beyond Meat (BYND) stock is worth.

Why do you think it is worth much more than that?

What are some specific things you know about the company that the rest of the world doesn't know, or isn't putting enough weight on?

I know it's been in the news. I know that its flagship product is imitation hamburger made from plant sources. I know that it's had success getting a number of big supermarket chains to distribute it. I know that Consumer Reports said
The Beyond Burger patty is thick, like a real burger, and has a fatty mouth feel—that’s from coconut oil. The outside doesn’t get crispy like real meat, but that might be something you could remedy by grilling it, says Claudia Gallo, senior technician and food tester at Consumer Reports. The texture was very similar to ground beef, but on its own it didn't measure up to ground beef in flavor. “Still, it might not be the best burger you’ve ever tried, but on a bun and with all the toppings, it’s a pretty tasty burger."
High praise, indeed.

For comparison, when they tried the "Impossible Burger," they wrote
The Impossible Burger develops a nicely browned crust. When you bite into it, you get the same browned flavors, fatty mouthfeel, and burst of juiciness you would in a burger, but not the distinct flavor of the beef juices. The meaty flavor and red color comes from a plant-based heme protein called leghemoglobin, an iron-rich molecule, and coconut oil is responsible for the mouthfeel, Impossible Foods’ CEO Patrick O. Brown, M.D., Ph.D told me. On a bun with lettuce, tomato, cheese, a Thousand-Island-style sauce, and pickles—which is the way I was served it—you might be hard pressed to say it wasn’t a beef burger.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

brcarls

Post by brcarls » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

columbia wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 pm
it’s definitely healthier for cows. ;)
Not really healthy for the species or population as a whole... If humans stopped eating meat, most breeds of cattle would quickly head towards extinction. :oops:

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 pm

$12 bucks gets you 4 teeny patties at my local grocery store. I’ll stick with the real thing. I only own stocks in the S&P 500. If the company meets criteria to enter the S&P 500 then I will own it.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 pm

BWildt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am

Yes, on the IPO. Sold it already though!! that was Fun.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm

They served it as an option at work this week. It was actuat really good. Might buy the product but the stock is pure speculation.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:38 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm
They served it as an option at work this week. It was actuat really good. Might buy the product but the stock is pure speculation.
My experience with substitute and imitation foods is that they often do taste really good the first time you try them, but on repeated tasting you start to notice various off-tastes. Instead of growing on you, they shrink on you, as it were. I'm mildly interested in trying them when I get a chance, but I'll be surprised if they still taste good after the third or fourth time you try them.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Soy = bad for men due to significant phytoestrogens.
If you want to reduce animal suffering and the environmental of posturing cattle, then tissue cultured beef grown in vitro with the much better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of grass fed beef would be the way to go.

pepys

Post by pepys » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm
If you want to reduce animal suffering and the environmental of posturing cattle, then tissue cultured beef grown in vitro with the much better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of grass fed beef would be the way to go.
This is an oversimplification. Soy has several healthful benefits, so even if there are harms, you have to determine if they're greater than the benefits. For example, from Soy and Health Update: Evaluation of the Clinical and Epidemiologic Literature:
Soy protein also directly lowers circulating LDL-cholesterol levels and may also modestly lower blood pressure.
And claims that the amount of phytoestrogens anyone would get in their diets would cause harm is not supportable:
Isoflavones are proposed as having a number of health benefits although not surprisingly, the degree to which the evidence supports these claims varies. For example, there is solid evidence in support of isoflavones alleviating hot flashes and improving arterial health in menopausal women whereas the evidence that they reduce risk of breast and prostate cancer, not surprisingly, is more preliminary. Concerns that the estrogen-like properties of isoflavones produce untoward effects in some subpopulations, such as postmenopausal women, are not supported by the clinical and epidemiologic research.
On the other hand, there is support for saturated fat being harmful. I don't know enough about grass-fed beef to comment on whether the possible benefits outweigh these potential harms, but using the logic of your original statement, I could just say: "grass-fed beef = bad for men due to significant saturated fat".

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm

pepys wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm
rj342 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm
This is an oversimplification. Soy has several healthful benefits, so even if there are harms, you have to determine if they're greater than the benefits. For example, from Soy and Health Update: Evaluation of the Clinical and Epidemiologic Literature:
Soy protein also directly lowers circulating LDL-cholesterol levels and may also modestly lower blood pressure.
And claims that the amount of phytoestrogens anyone would get in their diets would cause harm is not supportable:
Isoflavones are proposed as having a number of health benefits although not surprisingly, the degree to which the evidence supports these claims varies. For example, there is solid evidence in support of isoflavones alleviating hot flashes and improving arterial health in menopausal women whereas the evidence that they reduce risk of breast and prostate cancer, not surprisingly, is more preliminary. Concerns that the estrogen-like properties of isoflavones produce untoward effects in some subpopulations, such as postmenopausal women, are not supported by the clinical and epidemiologic research.
On the other hand, there is support for saturated fat being harmful. I don't know enough about grass-fed beef to comment on whether the possible benefits outweigh these potential harms, but using the logic of your original statement, I could just say: "grass-fed beef = bad for men due to significant saturated fat".

Beyond Meat's product is loaded with saturated fat. Coconut oil.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

pepys

Post by pepys » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Beyond Meat's product is loaded with saturated fat. Coconut oil.
Yeah, I was just responding to the soy comment. They have a lot of sodium too, and probably some other issues that I'm not aware of.

bligh

Post by bligh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Had an impossible burger and it basically tasted like meat to me. By that I mean that if someone had not told me, I would have assumed it was meat. I by no means mean it tasted amazing, there is a huge variance in the quality of meat burgers one can get too. Not sure if it was how it was cooked or how it is by nature but it was a bit dry to me.

Not buying the stock because I am a boglehead and I no longer invest in individual stocks

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 pm

I’m pretty sure the Beyond line is soy free.

I wish I would have bought the IPO as I have tasted them and offered samples to lots of people and found them well received. I personally didn’t like burgers but the sausage was very good.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 pm

You can buy pea protein burgers at Trader Joes. They're fine, in the same way that Boca burgers or Quorn or any of the other vegetarian burger substitutes are fine. It's a source of protein that you can put in a bun.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm

I removed an off-topic post and reply (ethical issues of eating meat). This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed, no longer discussing the investing aspects). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Also note this previously locked thread: Short BYND? (beyond meat, IPO today)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.