Having lunch with a retiree

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Having lunch with a retiree

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:08 am

For those not yet retired, if you could go to lunch with a respected retiree, what one question would you like to ask him/her?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Random Walker

Re: Having lunch with a retiree

Post by Random Walker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 am

What do you do with your time? Do you like being retired?

Dave

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:35 am

If I was sure the retiree chose to retire (rather than retiring early due to loss of job/prospects or health reasons), I would ask if actual retirement (socially, financially, etc.) was working out the way they had anticipated.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:03 am

I would want to know their former annual expenses and how much they had when they retired and how that works out for them now. Was it realistic? What are their sources of income and how do they do that? What is their lifestyle, before and now?
Did their projections allow them to live the way they want or have they had to modify to the more frugal side.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:58 pm

What's good here? :) :D

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Are you enjoying retirement?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm

I go out for lunch with retirees all the time. We talk about our kids, our vacations, politics, the food, our pets, and whose turn it is to pick up the tab.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Are you buying?

Then I'd ask him/her what keeps them awake at night.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:25 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:08 am
For those not yet retired, if you could go to lunch with a respected retiree, what one question would you like to ask him/her?
In a way, all of us get to have a "virtual lunch" with more very well respected retirees than we might meet in person in a lifetime. . . . .

every day . . . . .

at "Bogheadville Diner" . . . .

. . . and we ask a whole lot . . . :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:37 pm

We go through a number of turning points in life; entering schools and graduations, jobs, marriage, kids ... They are all to the "positive" direction, but I cannot stop associating retirement with loss. I am anxious to know how they deal with this feeling - I may be biased.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Once met a 40-ish retiree on a live aboard boat to snorkel with humpback whales. He had sold his interest in a famous megacorps that he was a co-founder of. He had bought all 13 weeks on board the boat so he could work on his underwater photography. I asked him several questions about retirement. He told me that you have to have something to do or you'll be unhappy and restless. He also warned me that you are likely to spend more than you think, because you'll have time for travel and other activities. It's important to keep your brain active. He liked Sudoku.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:48 pm

About every month 7 of my friends and I meet for Cuban coffee and cheese toast. We had worked together as project managers, though we had moved on to other positions long before any of us left the company. We last worked together in the late 1980ties.

We are united by our general disdain for a particular manager we reported to.

Arguably we see more of each other now than we did after moving on to other positions.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm

One of my longtime friends (same age) had a full career with the Federal government. He was not married UNTIL, in his mod 50's, he retired from the federal government, married a woman who had been married twice before (once divorced, once widowed) - and they adopted three very young children from Central America.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm

On a somewhat related topic, Stanley found 25 years ago that the activity millionaires were most likely to be engaged in over the prior month was spend time with their family, especially their grandchildren.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:18 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:37 pm
We go through a number of turning points in life; entering schools and graduations, jobs, marriage, kids ... They are all to the "positive" direction, but I cannot stop associating retirement with loss. I am anxious to know how they deal with this feeling - I may be biased.
Yes, I lost things when I retired:
Getting up early whether I wanted to or not
Commuting
Commuting in bad weather
An unreasonable boss
Doing things only on weekends and evenings
Needing to ask for permission to take a vacation
Being nice to disagreeable co-workers
Traveling to undesirable locations
Dealing with unreasonable customers
Being responsible for the mistakes of others
Age discrimination at work and when changing jobs
Having a high workload with deadlines
etc.
etc.

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:25 pm

sport wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:18 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:37 pm
Yes, I lost things when I retired:
Getting up early whether I wanted to or not
Commuting
Commuting in bad weather
An unreasonable boss
Doing things only on weekends and evenings
Needing to ask for permission to take a vacation
Being nice to disagreeable co-workers
Traveling to undesirable locations
Dealing with unreasonable customers
Being responsible for the mistakes of others
Age discrimination at work and when changing jobs
Having a high workload with deadlines
etc.
etc.
Love it. I used to be asked what I did with all my free time: "whatever I wanted"
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:46 pm

As I was approaching retirement, I set up time to sit one-on-one with several friends who were further along the path. We all shared experience volunteering at the Zoo and were all single. In the invitation to meet, I said I wanted to talk about their retirement experiences and assured them that this would not be about the money aspects.

I can't remember all the questions on my list, but two were 1) What is the best thing about retirement? and 2) What would you have done differently?

There were no big surprises but I did get some ideas about using my time, particularly around volunteering.