Episode 010: Bogleheads on Investing - guests Debbie Fuhr and Robin Powell

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Each month on the Bogleheads on Investing podcast, I interview a special guest on a specific topic of interest to like-minded Bogleheads.

Debbie Fuhr and Robin Powell are my guests on Episode 10. Our focus is on the global growth of index investing and ETFs. Debbie is the Managing Partner & Founder founder of ETFGI, the world's leading independent research company. ETFGI has become the dominant independent research and consulting provider providing insights on the entire global industry of ETFs and ETPs listed globally as well as the service providers. Robin is a journalist who lives and works in the UK. He is an investor advocate, consultant to progressive financial advisers and asset managers in the UK and US, and the founder of The Evidence-Based Investor website.

Enjoy!

Rick Ferri
Your Host
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: Episode 010: Bogleheads on Investing - guests Debbie Fuhr and Robin Powell

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 pm

This is a very informative podcast. Listen through til the end. I guarantee you will learn a lot!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 am

This is definitely a “Rick Ferri” week.

Just heard you also on the newest “White Coat Investor” podcast that came into my feed yesterday. Excellent discussion with Dr. Jim!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am

I think Mr. Ferri gave out more information than his guest. I'm not sure why the journalist made a documentary and why he was surprised that it didn't do well.

Sorry, Mr. Ferri, didn't make it until the end.

rojas65

Post by rojas65 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:39 am

I knew the guy's voice sounded familiar! I actually watched this documentary through Amazon Prime, "Index Funds: The 12-Step Recovery Program for Active Investors" several months ago. The title seemed a bit cheeky but you can't help but marvel at the big-hitters he brought in including Markowitz, Fama, Samuelson, Gross, Sharpe, Malkiel, and French, just to name a few! Check out the 'Special Thanks' credits at the end for the whole list. Now, I don't think he interviewed everyone he thanked, but it shows well-researched thesis and commentary. It was interesting to me although a little basic at times, and I had to laugh to myself at various points because he sounded so incredulous at the evidence and results. Those were my favorite part. And, there are some pretty cool paintings and artwork bridging the sections (the 12 steps) and also at the end.

I think it's a boon to the passive indexing world to have a journalist discover, learn, embrace and then evangelize passive vs active strategies. Mr. Powell referenced the UK ban on investment commissions, but I am curious to hear about the alternate ways of earning revenue via hourly advice, or AUM, or some other hybrid. Kudos for this interview and speaking with Mr. Powell.

I will listen to the second interview on my commute home today. :thumbsup :thumbsup Two thumbs up from me so far, Rick.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 am

Whakamole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am
I think Mr. Ferri gave out more information than his guest. I'm not sure why the journalist made a documentary and why he was surprised that it didn't do well.

Then you missed out. My second guest, Debbie Fuhr, is world’s leading ETF analyst and had plenty of interesting information for us.

Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am

Rick Ferri wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 am
Whakamole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am

The you missed out. My second guest, Debbie Fuhr, is world’s leading ETF analyst and had plenty of interesting information for us.

Rick Ferri
I will fast-forward then. :thumbsup

indexlover

Post by indexlover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Any idea when transcript of the podcast will be made available in the future ?
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm

indexlover wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:45 pm
Any idea when transcript of the podcast will be made available in the future ?
When we have a volunteer to do it.

Rick Ferri

bck63

Post by bck63 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Listened today. Great podcast.