Thank you, Taylor Larimore!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Snarfanio

Post by Snarfanio » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 am

On this anniversary of D-Day I want to thank you, Taylor Larimore, and all people of the Allied Armed Forces for defeating Evil, allowing me to grow up in freedom in the Netherlands. I hope we will never forget. I certainly will not.

mac808

Re: Thank you, Taylor Larimore!

Post by mac808 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am

Thank you Taylor! You continue to make an impact; your posts (whether financial advice or just stories from the past) were very influential on me when I first stumbled upon the forum, and continue to be something I look forward to.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 am

Thank you Taylor

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 am

Thank you Taylor!

Once you wrote that the ones who didn't make it home were the real heroes. Thank you for remembering those who couldn't speak about their own ultimate sacrifice. In your gentle way, as always, you draw our attention to what is most important. Today I see that you have posted about many things, but finances aside, thank you for being here for all of us and for pointing us the right direction.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:57 am

Thank you Mr. Larimore!! I often think that WWII could very well have had a different outcome. It was not a foregone conclusion that we would win the war. The world would be a VERY different place without your sacrifice and that of so many others.

Truly the Greatest Generation! Thank you again!

Therapist Investor

Post by Therapist Investor » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:15 am

Here here. Thank you Mr. Larimore!
"Get what you can, and what you get hold, 'Tis the stone that will turn all your lead into gold." | -Benjamin Franklin

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:17 am

Thank you Taylor!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:24 am

Thank you Taylor! I appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom from the school of hard knocks - both on and off the battlefield!

Best Regards.

treadingwater

Post by treadingwater » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 am

Thank you Taylor for your service to this site and to our country! We are better for it!

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:44 am

Thank you for your service Taylor, and also for the wisdom you impart here that has benefited so many others over the years!

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am

mac808 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am
Thank you Taylor! You continue to make an impact; your posts (whether financial advice or just stories from the past) were very influential on me when I first stumbled upon the forum, and continue to be something I look forward to.

My sentiments exactly & I can't say it any better. Thank you Taylor!
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Epictecus

BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 am

Taylor Larimore: a hero in more ways than one!

ThisTimeItsDifferent

Post by ThisTimeItsDifferent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 am

+1

Thank you Taylor Larimore for your service then and now.
Also, thank you to other veterans.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 am

Thank you Taylor - both for your military service and your role in creating and sustaining the Bogleheads community.

sabtastic

Post by sabtastic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 am

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you Taylor!

Your wise and sound advice over the years has improved the lives of thousands of people. And those people have influenced their children and many others.

All of the Bogleheads owe you a debt of gratitude.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 am

Snarfanio wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 am
On this anniversary of D-Day I want to thank you, Taylor Larimore, and all people of the Allied Armed Forces for defeating Evil, allowing me to grow up in freedom in the Netherlands. I hope we will never forget. I certainly will not.
+1000 :beer

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 am

Kitty Telltales

Thank you Taylor!
Once you wrote that the ones who didn't make it home were the real heroes. Thank you for remembering those who couldn't speak about their own ultimate sacrifice. In your gentle way, as always, you draw our attention to what is most important. Today I see that you have posted about many things, but finances aside, thank you for being here for all of us and for pointing us the right direction.
+1

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you, Taylor Larimore! For all that you have contributed to our world and our knowledge...
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 am
Kitty Telltales

Thank you Taylor!
+1

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you, Taylor Larimore! For all that you have contributed to our world and our knowledge...
+1 as well.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 am

Didn't know that about Taylor until today. Can't agree more we owe you and your generation a debt of gratitude. Thank you for your service and sacrifice sir.
Snarfanio wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 am
Thankful for all of the freedoms we enjoy, meaningful work, safety, and security living in the country we do.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Taylor,

With today being the 75th anniversary of D-Day, my thoughts immediately turned to you. Bogleheads and others are indebted and eternally grateful for the sacrifices that you and other members of the greatest generation made.

Over the years I had neighbors, friends, relatives, teachers and colleagues who were veterans of WW II. Last night on a TV tribute to D-Day I learned that only 4 percent of WW II veterans are still living. We on this forum and others are beneficiaries of you being a member of the fortunate 4 percent. Your leadership and contributions have been and continue to be immeasurable. Thank you.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Thank you Taylor Larimore for all your contributions!!

I always enjoy and look forward to your posts here. I have learned a lot from them.

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 pm

RESPECT and Thank You Mr Larimore

Day9

Post by Day9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you very much Mr Larimore.

I just found this 12 year old thread from the old forum and would like to share it:
Taylor...where did you serve in World War II?
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from

rojas65

Post by rojas65 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Just wanted to add my thanks to Taylor and all of the veterans and civilians from the Greatest Generation. This is indeed a historic and important date in history (and for future generations) and we must always remember.
God bless you and all of those who never made it home.

peetsperk

Post by peetsperk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Thank you Taylor for your service. For my fellow Bogleheads, if you have not seen the attached Youtube video, it is well worth 6 minutes of your time. It shows the number of American soldiers who have given their lives on distant shores including Normandy. It's staggering. The accompanying music is Hymn to the Fallen by John Williams ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omd9_FJnerY ).

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:04 pm

mlebuf wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am
Hi Taylor,

With today being the 75th anniversary of D-Day, my thoughts immediately turned to you. Bogleheads and others are indebted and eternally grateful for the sacrifices that you and other members of the greatest generation made.

Over the years I had neighbors, friends, relatives, teachers and colleagues who were veterans of WW II. Last night on a TV tribute to D-Day I learned that only 4 percent of WW II veterans are still living. We on this forum and others are beneficiaries of you being a member of the fortunate 4 percent. Your leadership and contributions have been and continue to be immeasurable. Thank you.
I knew lots of the World War II vets, sad that most now are gone. So Taylor, want to let you know that you are appreciated around here and again want to thank you for your World War II service. I always enjoy your annual "My Christmas Present to You" posts commemorating your service as a paratrooper during the Battle of the Bulge. If I remember correctly, you were at Bastogne. So anywho, many best wishes. Ned.
A fool and his money are good for business.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Sincerely,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Thank you, Bogleheads

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Dear Bogleheads:

I cannot express how grateful I am to read the above posts. You make my time on the Bogleheads forum feel very worthwhile. This forum is full of very nice people.

I was attending Newark College of Engineering for the Army on D-Day. Casualties were more than expected and they soon shipped me to Europe on the SS Queen Mary. My first combat was six months later during the Battle of the Bulge with the 101 Airborne Division Paratroopers (paratroopers were all volunteers) where we were soon surrounded by the Germans at Bastogne, Belgium. The Germans demanded our surrender. Our commander, replied: "Nuts."

Last Christmas, I invited the decedents of the Bastogne family that sheltered me to come to Miami for a Bahama cruise. Tears were everywhere. Your posts honoring me have the same result.

We must never forget the soldiers, sailors and airmen that never returned home. These are the real hero's of any war.

Thank you for caring--and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

NotTooDeepLearning

Post by NotTooDeepLearning » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm

From a millennial in their 20's, thank you Taylor! The world is a better place because of your service.

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Thank you, Taylor!

cogito

Post by cogito » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 am

Taylor,

I am a millenial video game developer who recently worked on the title Call of Duty: WWII. I learned a lot over the course of that experience, and am reminded of it on this 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. I have so much to be grateful for. Because of you and your generation, I have grown up with a life of relative peace and prosperity in this wonderful country of opportunity. Because of you and Jack Bogle, I have great hope and a clear vision for my family and our financial goals. Thank you.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 am

Let me add my heartfelt thanks, Taylor, for your role in WW2 in some of the most terrible and frightening conditions in the Ardennes, and for your role in shepherding this incredible website.

If there's anyone who hasn't watched the opening minutes of Saving Private Ryan, tonight would be a good time.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

avecmoi

Post by avecmoi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:44 am

Thank you Mr. Larimore and your fellow protectors of the world. I hear of multiple stories where soldiers of the greatest generation kept their medals for heroism secret to their family and friends. Their loved ones only found out after they died going through their possessions. So humble in their heroism.

So different from the current culture of preschool graduations and social media sharing of the food people eat...

I remember when I rotated through the VA system. I was trying to do my first blood draw on a veteran that volunteered. I was so nervous that my hands and even my whole body was shaking. The veteran told me the last time he faced this much fear was over 50 years ago in Europe.

God bless you and all veterans, especially WWII (who had the face the Great Depression in their childhood before the war).

rossington

Post by rossington » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:17 am

Thank you Taylor,for your service and commitment to our country past and present (and sharing your wisdom with all of us) ....God Bless You.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 am

After many yrs of personal interest & research, my views on the usa's wartime or policing actions have changed.
Schoolings history as I'd learned it was propaganda driven. Imho.
The Civil war was not fought primarily* to free the slaves. imho
This "links" info below, however biased, always comes to mind about how veterans have been treated over & over by the .gov,.. till it's exposed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ret ... 765c9b38ea

Taylor, you're financial insights & advocacies over the yrs have helped myself and I'm sure many, many others also.
It goes w/o saying Taylor, sir.. 'thx for your service'... sir.
This post has no political agenda. jmho.

Best wishes to all vets.
Last edited by aspirit on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

shawcroft

Post by shawcroft » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 am

Taylor:

My wife and I send along our thanks and best wishes to you. It was an honor to meet you at a recent BH Conference.

We also acknowledge the debt we owe to so many other US -and Allied- service members who also served in Europe and in the Pacific during the Second World War. The service and sacrifice of the Greatest Generation preserved the freedoms we enjoy today.

Shawcroft

srt7

Post by srt7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:47 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 pm
Dear Bogleheads:

I cannot express how grateful I am to read the above posts. You make my time on the Bogleheads forum feel very worthwhile. This forum is full of very nice people.

I was attending Newark College of Engineering for the Army on D-Day. Casualties were more than expected and they soon shipped me to Europe on the SS Queen Mary. My first combat was six months later during the Battle of the Bulge with the 101 Airborne Division Paratroopers (paratroopers were all volunteers) where we were soon surrounded by the Germans at Bastogne, Belgium. The Germans demanded our surrender. Our commander, replied: "Nuts."

Last Christmas, I invited the decedents of the Bastogne family that sheltered me to come to Miami for a Bahama cruise. Tears were everywhere. Your posts honoring me have the same result.

We must never forget the soldiers, sailors and airmen that never returned home. These are the real hero's of any war.

Taylor
Classic Mr. Larimore!!

It is because of people like you that me and my family are able to live free. Words cannot express how grateful we are for it. Thank you for your services.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 am

rossington wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:17 am
Thank you Taylor,for your service and commitment to our country past and present (and sharing your wisdom with all of us) ....God Bless You.
+1000

JPM

Post by JPM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:02 am

Thank you Taylor and your comrades. And my dad and my uncles and their friends whose service and sacrifices made possible for me and my children lives they never dreamed of.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you Taylor and all the men and women of the United States military for your service and sacrifice to our country!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Dear Bogleheads:

Taylor
Thank you Taylor!

wije

Post by wije » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
This forum is full of very nice people.
I'm not a nice person, but I think you're the best Taylor!

lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:59 am

Thank you Taylor. Since words alone can't convey what the world owes you and your comrades, I won't try to come up with anything more clever than what I've read above.

Spinola

Post by Spinola » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Thank you for your service to your country and mankind and thank you for continued wisdom and guidance to the Boglehead community. You are an example to us all.

columbia

Post by columbia » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 am

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 am
Thank you Taylor - both for your military service and your role in creating and sustaining the Bogleheads community.
+1

ebeard

Post by ebeard » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 am

Day9 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:20 pm
Thank you very much Mr Larimore.

I just found this 12 year old thread from the old forum and would like to share it:
Taylor...where did you serve in World War II?
Very powerful. Thank you, Taylor.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:56 am

Thank you, Taylor!

My great-grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge, part of a tank company. One day he was delivering a message to a general and a shell struck nearby. He was severely wounded, nearly lost an arm, and spent a couple years in hospitals after the battle...but he survived and lived to be 92. I’m so lucky to have known him...I knew he had served, but never knew the details until very late in his life. One of my greatest heroes.

yvette

Post by yvette » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 am

Thank you Taylor!