Any one ever use paid subscriptions from Seeking Alpha ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Tatala

Any one ever use paid subscriptions from Seeking Alpha ?

Post by Tatala » Mon May 27, 2019 2:52 pm

There are a few paid monthly subscriptions offering high dividends or growth with impressive records. Of course they are all picking from 20-40 stocks. They claim to be better than index funds.

retire2022

Re: Any one ever use paid subscriptions from Seeking Alpha ?

Post by retire2022 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Tatala wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:52 pm
There are a few paid monthly subscriptions offering high dividends or growth with impressive records. Of course they are all picking from 20-40 stocks. They claim to be better than index funds.
I've connected through my gmail/google account to read for free and to get behind the pay wall, personally if you are BHer it is not really worth it, but to satisfy a curiosity and be informed then perhaps it is a good value.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 pm

I used to have access, but I never paid for it. In my opinion, it is not worth reading if you have a boglehead investment philosophy.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm

No. I avoid reading seeking alpha but have news articles about AAPL pop up on feeds periodically (perhaps via yahoo finance). A google search on "seeking alpha apple" shows a schizophrenic attitude to that stock. I can only assume they are similarly inconsistent for other stocks.

- "Apple's Stock Is Facing Even Steeper Declines" (May 22)

+ "Apple: Love The Small Dividend Hike" (May 17)

+ "Apple Is Valued As If Tariffs Were 105%" (May 16)

- "Apple: The 2019 iPhone Problem" (May 16)

+ "Apple's Buybacks Provide Strong Long-Term Upside" (May 14)

- "Apple: More Downside Ahead" (May 13)

I don't mind if they are positive or negative on a specific company. But if they can't even be consistent with one stock how are they going to help me with investment decisions?

I've decided that seeking alpha is really seeking clicks, and avoid clicking on their articles.

pward

Post by pward » Mon May 27, 2019 3:40 pm

ccieemeritus wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm
I don't mind if they are positive or negative on a specific company. But if they can't even be consistent with one stock how are they going to help me with investment decisions?
To be fair here... SA is mostly a distribution channel for independent authors and analysts. Each of those authors is analyzing things a different way. It's better to have a news platform provide arguments from all sides so their readers can actually hear all the arguments and form an educated opinion, as opposed to putting forth all of their news skewed with a bias. Every day there are professional analysts and traders that are bullish and bearish on everything. That's what makes a market. They actually do have some good authors, at least in comparison to their competition (MarketWatch, Yahoo Finance, etc).

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:44 pm

pward wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:40 pm

To be fair here... SA is mostly a distribution channel for independent authors and analysts. Each of those authors is analyzing things a different way. It's better to have a news platform provide arguments from all sides so their readers can actually hear all the arguments and form an educated opinion, as opposed to putting forth all of their news skewed with a bias. Every day there are professional analysts and traders that are bullish and bearish on everything. That's what makes a market.
Agreed, admittedly BH philosophy is limiting by not being aware of both sides, and not informed, but that being said at the end of the day one gets to the same place.

pward

Post by pward » Mon May 27, 2019 3:48 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:44 pm
pward wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:40 pm

To be fair here... SA is mostly a distribution channel for independent authors and analysts. Each of those authors is analyzing things a different way. It's better to have a news platform provide arguments from all sides so their readers can actually hear all the arguments and form an educated opinion, as opposed to putting forth all of their news skewed with a bias. Every day there are professional analysts and traders that are bullish and bearish on everything. That's what makes a market.
Agreed, admittedly BH philosophy is limiting by not being aware of both sides, and not informed, but that being said at the end of the day one gets to the same place.
If someone is going to buy and hold then these articles are of course nothing more than entertainment value. But, if someone wants to be informed for one reason or another, then there are much worse places to get info from than SA, imo.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:53 pm

pward wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:48 pm

If someone is going to buy and hold then these articles are of course nothing more than entertainment value. But, if someone wants to be informed for one reason or another, then there are much worse places to get info from than SA, imo.
agree, I can think of Motley Fool and Jim Cramer :)

Yohanson

Post by Yohanson » Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Yesterday I read an article from a writer that I've followed for a while, Colorado Wealth Management Fund. This article is as about as opposite to the Boglehead philosophy as you can get but you have to check out the beginning of the article and the picture referring to spending the golden years on a cruise ship. I hadn't laughed that hard all weekend.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/426620 ... ter-widget

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 pm

There are some good articles on seeking alpha but they are mixed in with a lot of crap. I have trouble imaging the paid version is worth it.

jcar

Post by jcar » Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm

fennewaldaj wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 pm
There are some good articles on seeking alpha but they are mixed in with a lot of crap. I have trouble imaging the paid version is worth it.

I agree. My problem is so many SA writers use pen names who are selling a supposed information service. The free side is fine for ideas, but not much else.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon May 27, 2019 9:39 pm

The articles I have read on SA about my (former) megacorp employer led me to the conclusion that a subscription to SA would be detrimental to my wealth.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Seeking Alpha is dividend investing heaven.They are just as staunch in their beliefs in dividends as BH are about total return.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:53 pm
Seeking Alpha is dividend investing heaven.They are just as staunch in their beliefs in dividends as BH are about total return.
So is Warren Buffett, a value investor (dividend investor), which is different from BHers, the ability to distinguish between the two makes one a better investor instead of being a sheep and follow a cult.

klaus14

Post by klaus14 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm

i did and lost 1/3 of my portfolio in couple months.
needless to say, i no longer use Seeking Alpha or do any stock pickings.

venkman

Post by venkman » Mon May 27, 2019 10:44 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 pm
hoops777 wrote:
So is Warren Buffett, a value investor (dividend investor), which is different from BHers, the ability to distinguish between the two makes one a better investor instead of being a sheep and follow a cult.
Does that mean Buffett would recommend not buying Berkshire, since it doesn't pay a dividend? :D

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:44 am

venkman wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:44 pm
retire2022 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Does that mean Buffett would recommend not buying Berkshire, since it doesn't pay a dividend? :D
Berkshire is a holding company, its dividends reinvested makes their stock more valuable, everyone who has looked over Warren Buffet and his method knows he is a disciple of Benjamin Graham the father of value investing, it is the only method which survived the great depression. Something to be said regarding value.

Getting back to Op question, it is matter of whether or not op requires income currently, if so value or dividend stocks mathematically could serve that purpose, I leave it to the op to decide whether or not they need income versus growth.

If one is currently weighted in growth all one does is sell off some growth to provide income, if value weighted they live off of dividends.

Some years Value out performs Growth, some years vice a versa, so I leave it to Op (68 from reading previous posting) to decide what is best.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Seeking Alpha is pretty close to an aggregation of stock picking newsletters. I have seen a personal friend gone into the dark side of the stock picking newsletters, and the results are not pretty. He might lose his retirement savings voluntarily. Avoid stock picking newsletters at all cost!
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm

OP have you considered the following funds?

Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund Admiral Shares (VWIAX)

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vwiax

67 stocks, 1039 bonds, 0.16% expense ratio, 9.22% 10 years performance

Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund Admiral Shares (VHYAX)
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vhyax

421 stocks, no bonds, 0.08% expense ratio, 9.88% 5 year performance, fund has been in existence less than 10 years

Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index Fund Admiral Shares (VDADX)

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VDADX

183 stocks, no bonds, 0.08% expense ratio, 10.71% 5 year performance, fund has been in existence laess than 10 years