Page 1 of 1

Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am
by hdas
True to their spirit, Vanguard website is a mess for me today. Anybody else having the same issue? :annoyed

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am
by jhfenton
No. It was working this morning, and it is working now.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am
by Phineas J. Whoopee
hdas wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am
True to their spirit, Vanguard website is a mess for me today. Anybody else having the same issue? :annoyed
Are you willing to give us any specifics about what's wrong?

PJW

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:32 am
by hdas
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am
hdas wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am
True to their spirit, Vanguard website is a mess for me today. Anybody else having the same issue? :annoyed
Are you willing to give us any specifics about what's wrong?

PJW
It takes a long time to put an order in and even more time to modify it. H

ps. My internet connection is perfect and all other apps are ok.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am
by Volkdancer
Since it is propitious then it is a very good thing to have happened!

Karl V

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am
by Phineas J. Whoopee
hdas wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:32 am
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am
hdas wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am
True to their spirit, Vanguard website is a mess for me today. Anybody else having the same issue? :annoyed
Are you willing to give us any specifics about what's wrong?

PJW
It takes a long time to put an order in and even more time to modify it. H

ps. My internet connection is perfect and all other apps are ok.
Thank you.

Maybe some helpful poster also plans to place an order with Vanguard today and can comment on that particular aspect.

I have no reason to place any orders any time soon via anyone, so I don't volunteer to be the test case.

PJW

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 am
by jhfenton
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am
Maybe some helpful poster also plans to place an order with Vanguard today and can comment on that particular aspect.

I have no reason to place any orders any time soon via anyone, so I don't volunteer to be the test case.

PJW
I just bought 6 shares of VFVA/Vanguard US Value Factor ETF in my Roth IRA and transferred money from checking to cover it, with a few extra dollars going into VFMFX/Vanguard US Multifactor Admiral Shares to make the contribution a round number. According to my original $500/month schedule, it was part of my August and September IRA contributions, but I'm a bit ahead in both of our Roth IRAs.

Everything went smoothly and quickly.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:57 am
by Watty
I just entered an order to sell some shares of a mutual fund and I did not have any problems.

I am pretty sure that my account was converted to a brokerage account a long time ago.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm
by dratkinson
Backup plan. Call a CSR and submit a phone transaction. Works for me.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm
by bondsr4me
I logged in without any issues....

I made no changes, no order entry; just viewed a few things.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:27 pm
by ColoradoRick
About 2 hours put in an order for a specific stock and it executed flawlessly.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 pm
by wolf359
Placed manual buy orders on 2 different Vanguard accounts today for VTSAX. No issues either time. Since it was a mutual fund order, though, there were no timing issues.

Did you try to reach out to customer service? What issues were you experiencing, exactly?

Also as an alternative, did you try the mobile app?

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:39 pm
by Wyodoc
Did some TLH today using ETFs on Vanguard. No problems whatsoever with selling or buying.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm
by indexfundfan
I did encounter a slowdown while placing an order this morning. But the incident did not last long.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 pm
by whodidntante
This is a really common error. The problem is that Vanguard's account opening process works.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:46 pm
by Cheez-It Guy
It sounds like this is not the issue for the original post, but I use Apple Safari on a Mac as my primary browser with extensions Safari AdBlock and Ghostery enabled. I noticed when I logged in yesterday evening that the primary navigation bar was missing, which made certain tasks difficult or impossible. This was fixed by whitelisting personal.vanguard.com in Safari AdBlock. I don’t know if this was due to a change on Vanguard’s end, or a Safari or extension update. The extensions update automatically, and I did install a Safari update same day (12.1.1). Sharing only in case it helps someone else encountering the same issue. I didn’t notice any ads after whitelisting, although I did get a rather annoying prompt for Personal Advisor Services during previous recent logins.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 am
by hdas
Again down today.........anybody else having the same issue? :greedy

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 am
by HomeStretch
Yes, similar reports in two other threads.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 am
by pokebowl
Getting a 502 proxy error at the moment. I think we broke it. :(

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:28 am
by oldcomputerguy
They are apparently having technical issues since yesterday, there is an ongoing discussion here.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 am
by rkhusky
No problem viewing accounts this morning, other than the annoyance that Vanguard still isn’t recognizing my computer and requiring 2FA.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am
by aristotelian
I can log in and account balances look more or less correct, but holdings are completely blank.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am
by vectorizer
I had no reason to access the site today, but reading these posts, I had to try. Like picking at a scab. :-)

And for the record, I'm getting no response after hitting the logon button.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am
by RickBoglehead
And the more that try, the worse the issue gets. And then more try. And more.

[Picture of lemmings going over cliff here]

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 am
by standard7
>And for the record, I'm getting no response after hitting the logon button.

Loooong delay and finally displayed a blank page, then another minute or 2, and the page displays. Tried a couple different browsers and a couple computers all bad. They definitely have issues today.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am
by Freefun
I’m having problems logging on as well. Getting a bit nervous about having my holdings with them.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 am
by rasta
no problems for me.

for those with problems, try clearing cookies/cache and rebooting, this has worked in the past.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
by RickBoglehead
Website is an interface to a picture of your data. Has zero to do with your investment, or how they are managed. The more that jump on and try to log in, when there is an issue, the more it won't work. Take a chill pill and try tonight or tomorrow. Or the weekend.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm
by FIREchief
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
Take a chill pill and try tonight or tomorrow. Or the weekend.
Or, just move to Fidelity and be done with it. :P

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 pm
by catalina355
aristotelian wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am
I can log in and account balances look more or less correct, but holdings are completely blank.
Then you don’t have to worry about Vanguard’s mispricings :D

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 pm
by catalina355
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
Website is an interface to a picture of your data. Has zero to do with your investment, or how they are managed. The more that jump on and try to log in, when there is an issue, the more it won't work. Take a chill pill and try tonight or tomorrow. Or the weekend.
Good idea. Maybe Vanguard should only allow 1000 people a day to log in and make a transaction.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm
by MichCPA
New slogan:

Active Management: Bad for investing, good for websites.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
by catalina355
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
Website is an interface to a picture of your data. Has zero to do with your investment, or how they are managed. The more that jump on and try to log in, when there is an issue, the more it won't work. Take a chill pill and try tonight or tomorrow. Or the weekend.
Would you say the same thing if Amazon's website behaved like this? With a proper front end design (load balancers etc) there is no reason for the Vanguard website to have ongoing issues.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:45 pm
by edgeagg
Umm. It may not be a frontend issue. If VG uses a relational DB then that can easily be a choke point - even more so with network failures and retry logic in the frontend.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm
by BlueCable
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm


Would you say the same thing if Amazon's website behaved like this? With a proper front end design (load balancers etc) there is no reason for the Vanguard website to have ongoing issues.
I distinctly remember Amazon being down one day, so they showed a picture of a cute dog saying "Sorry." Maybe it was even on Amazon Prime day one year.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 pm
by Broken Man 1999
Most of my credit cards, and definitely ALL my CU accounts have had issues at one time or another with their online websites.

Amazon, Sam's Club, Target, and Costco websites have had burps and wheezes as well.

At the end of the day, they are fixed, usually. If not, the next day.

My power is lost at least once a week, just long enough to have to set the MW and range clocks.

Crap happens, and will continue to happen. Annoying, yes. Very.

Maybe there is a unicorn brokerage site. Or maybe not. Anyone seen such a website?

Broken Man 1999

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm
by catalina355
edgeagg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Umm. It may not be a frontend issue. If VG uses a relational DB then that can easily be a choke point - even more so with network failures and retry logic in the frontend.
Yes. Very true. Likely it is a RDB. However, the inability to have people be able to log on is an issue in front of the RDB. I would also hope they had caches and not direct DB access.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm
by catalina355
BlueCable wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm


Would you say the same thing if Amazon's website behaved like this? With a proper front end design (load balancers etc) there is no reason for the Vanguard website to have ongoing issues.
I distinctly remember Amazon being down one day, so they showed a picture of a cute dog saying "Sorry." Maybe it was even on Amazon Prime day one year.
One day. What we are talking about here are continuing issues.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 pm
by FIREchief
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
Would you say the same thing if Amazon's website behaved like this? With a proper front end design (load balancers etc) there is no reason for the Vanguard website to have ongoing issues.
VG has great prices on the majority of what they "sell." Amazon has great prices on the majority of what they sell. Amazon is obviously wasting money on good systems. If they had crappy systems, they could pass along the savings to the customers. It might save me up to a nickel on many things that I buy. 8-)

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am
by edgeagg
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm
edgeagg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Umm. It may not be a frontend issue. If VG uses a relational DB then that can easily be a choke point - even more so with network failures and retry logic in the frontend.
Yes. Very true. Likely it is a RDB. However, the inability to have people be able to log on is an issue in front of the RDB. I would also hope they had caches and not direct DB access.
@Catalina: Not having experienced the issue myself, I'd imagine that if they had caches for for login, then we'd still have to display account information post login from the DB. If you got a blank page here, then you'd probably guess DB. If login failed entirely, then that would be a different problem - which would be completely amenable to horizontal scaling. BTW in most cases, AMZN doesn't use RDB in the loop (if you remember the classic paper on dynamodb). They got that lesson early. But not so sure about VG.

However it seems to me that the business models are a bit different: If you can't login to the amzn site, they lose a sale. If you can't log into VG during high traffic period, it reduces the buy/sell transactions on funds, which might be considered a feature - kind of like Odysseus being strapped to the mast to get away from the sirens.

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am
by hdas
edgeagg wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am
However it seems to me that the business models are a bit different: If you can't login to the amzn site, they lose a sale. If you can't log into VG during high traffic period, it reduces the buy/sell transactions on funds, which might be considered a feature - kind of like Odysseus being strapped to the mast to get away from the sirens.
This idea is truly preposterous. If you need that kind of constrain you should be paying a manager and not enforce dysfunctional nonsense on the rest of us. Besides, volume is correlated with volatility and those days are very productive for adjustments.

Cheers :greedy

Re: Vanguard website fail at the propitious moment

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am
by edgeagg
hdas wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am
edgeagg wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am
However it seems to me that the business models are a bit different: If you can't login to the amzn site, they lose a sale. If you can't log into VG during high traffic period, it reduces the buy/sell transactions on funds, which might be considered a feature - kind of like Odysseus being strapped to the mast to get away from the sirens.
This idea is truly preposterous. If you need that kind of constrain you should be paying a manager and not enforce dysfunctional nonsense on the rest of us. Besides, volume is correlated with volatility and those days are very productive for adjustments.

Cheers :greedy
Humor seems to have gone by the wayside - 'nuff said. If you need to tune your portfolio quite that much, perhaps we differ more fundamentally. Ctrl-Z'ing now....