Taleb says he's invested in gold and keeps away from stocks

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
steve321

Taleb says he's invested in gold and keeps away from stocks

Post by steve321 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:44 am

Since I know there are some fans of Taleb on this forum, I was wondering whether they were following his advice here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfnsOT1ys8
Basically he's invested in gold and says he tries to keep away from stocks as much as possible at thi spoint in thime, and when he invests in stocks or long term bonds he hedges his positions. Are any Bogleheads who admire Taleb following his example?
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde

drk

Re: Taleb says he's invested in gold and keeps away from stocks

Post by drk » Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am

Doesn’t he still work for a fund that aims to hedge against exposure to stocks?

BJJ_GUY

Post by BJJ_GUY » Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am

drk wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am
Doesn’t he still work for a fund that aims to hedge against exposure to stocks?
Don't think he's been active there for many years. Not sure if he owns a piece of the GP, but regardless, he isn't trading for them

gjlynch17

Post by gjlynch17 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for linking the interview. I like Taleb and I agree with many of his points from the interview (e.g. celebrating entrepreneurship, agency risk and unsustainable federal debts) but moving to gold and primarily derivatives that pay off in a large crash is not for me. I do not like gold as an investment (and interestingly neither does Taleb although he is at least somewhat invested in it). Derivatives conceptually make sense but require more time and effort to understand and execute than I am able and willing to put into it.

Taleb identified inflation as a lurking risk and TIPS and unhedged international equities could mitigate against it. I have heavily in the latter and will be moving towards TIPS over the next few years as I edge closer to retirement.