Vanguard Sent Transfer Request to Incorrect AMPF Division

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
SML

Vanguard Sent Transfer Request to Incorrect AMPF Division

Post by SML » Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Just a heads up. If anyone is getting ready to transfer money into Vanguard from AMPF.
The person handling the transfer request selected the wrong division of AMPF and got a 0 transfer completed.

They had all of the correct paperwork and account statements but sent the request to Riversource. Further, there was confusion and lack of understanding on the part of the customer service person when I called to inquire (I was noticing odd entries in the transfer tracking section). The end result is I will call them in the morning to see if they can get this corrected and expedited. The person I spoke to did not inspire confidence. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

unclescrooge

Re: Vanguard Sent Transfer Request to Incorrect AMPF Division

Post by unclescrooge » Sun May 12, 2019 10:11 pm

When you pay peanuts, you often get monkeys.

Vanguard is not known for its steller customer service.

Topic Author
SML

Post by SML » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Dear unclescrooge,

That's one way to put it. I had hoped this would not be the case though. I had good experiences with the people I spoke to on the phone and they helped me a lot with what I thought was complex paperwork in my scenario. This last bit, whoever it was, that clicked the wrong drop down option on their screen and sent the request to the wrong place, that was a big surprise TBH.

On the flip side, I have to say that I had a bunch of odd conversations with Fidelity prior to making my decision. For each question I had there was a different department and it was not easy getting correct answers to my questions. They had a high level of professionalism but gave me incomplete/incorrect/speculative information so I decided to not go that route.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm

All companies make mistakes, what matters is how they fix them. Hopefully they will fix this in a timely manner.

Topic Author
SML

Post by SML » Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm
All companies make mistakes, what matters is how they fix them. Hopefully they will fix this in a timely manner.

Yes, all companies make mistakes. Unfortunately, the conversation about fixing it was not what I expected. I think I may have gotten a very inexperienced rep. The details of the call would sound either dramatic,boring, or crazy etc so I won't go into it.

The error happened 10 days ago so it's time for them to get things moving in the right direction. As you can imagine, I am eager to put this behind me so this added level of stress and uncertaintity is not something I want right now. :shock:

Topic Author
SML

Post by SML » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I now have my money in the Vanguard account! :D :D :D :D :D :D