A serious question about REITs

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
B185CS

A serious question about REITs

Post by B185CS » Thu May 24, 2007 9:41 am

So, is it "rite" or "reet"? I've been saying "rite" because, due to my four years of high school German, when I see an "ei" in an unfamiliar word I automatically think long "I". However, I watched an episode of Veronica Mars the other day that featured a REIT as a plot element and the show's characters said "reet". As I said, a very serious question. One that may affect the portfolios of thousands of investors. :shock:

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 am

It's "reet".
"Anything free | costs twice as much | in the long run | or turns out worthless." | -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller » Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 am

You know its in a bubble when you see it on Veronica Mars and the Sopranos. :P

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 am

Elmer Fudd would call it "wheet", though.

Be vewy, vewy qwiet. I'm hunting wabbit. Hehh, heh, hheh.
"Anything free | costs twice as much | in the long run | or turns out worthless." | -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

nick22

Heh, Heh, Heh

Post by nick22 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:57 am

Is it jsut me or are Heh, Heh, Hehs kind of creepy when in typed format?
Nick22

Valuethinker

Re: A serious question about REITs

Post by Valuethinker » Thu May 24, 2007 10:06 am

B185CS wrote:So, is it "rite" or "reet"? I've been saying "rite" because, due to my four years of high school German, when I see an "ei" in an unfamiliar word I automatically think long "I". However, I watched an episode of Veronica Mars the other day that featured a REIT as a plot element and the show's characters said "reet". As I said, a very serious question. One that may affect the portfolios of thousands of investors. :shock:
There is a test you can do somewhere of your regional accent.

Well Yankees say 'Reet'.

What they should say is 'Ree-It'.

Damned Yankees :D

Jazztonight

Re: Heh, Heh, Heh

Post by Jazztonight » Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 am

nick22 wrote:Is it just me or are Heh, Heh, Hehs kind of creepy when in typed format?
Or "cweepy" at the least.

also, thanks to MY high school German, I too said "rite" and learning to say "reet" still isn't easy!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

jiclemens

Rites

Post by jiclemens » Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 am

I guess if 'rites' is the proper pronunciation then us non-yankees will need to switch from saying ree-its to saying 'rats.'
Southerners are never rat all of the time but one can see they are certainly rat some of the time. And rites will become rats at some point.
-John

Valuethinker

Re: Rites

Post by Valuethinker » Thu May 24, 2007 11:45 am

jiclemens wrote:I guess if 'rites' is the proper pronunciation then us non-yankees will need to switch from saying ree-its to saying 'rats.'
Southerners are never rat all of the time but one can see they are certainly rat some of the time. And rites will become rats at some point.
-John
I put two (different) thoughts into 1 post, creating confusion. Yankee actually means *all* Americans, where I am from. Your damndedness comes from recent disagreements in 1776 and 1812: the first which you won 1-0, the latter which was 1-all.

Reminding me of the Mad Magazine cartoon, where the Italian tour guide begins to apologise to the American tourists for the 'Yankee go Home' written on the wall.

One of the tourists interrupts him to say 'we are from Atlanta'. :)

'Yankee' to an uniformed Brit means all of ya', not just the bit north of New York :D

Spyder

Re: Rites

Post by Spyder » Thu May 24, 2007 1:44 pm

Valuethinker wrote:I put two (different) thoughts into 1 post, creating confusion. Yankee actually means *all* Americans, where I am from. Your damndedness comes from recent disagreements in 1776 and 1812: the first which you won 1-0, the latter which was 1-all.

Reminding me of the Mad Magazine cartoon, where the Italian tour guide begins to apologise to the American tourists for the 'Yankee go Home' written on the wall.

One of the tourists interrupts him to say 'we are from Atlanta'. :)

'Yankee' to an uniformed Brit means all of ya', not just the bit north of New York :D
That reminds me of a conversation I once had with a lady originally from Alabama. I said there was a distinction between being "British" and being "English". England is only a part; there is also Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, ect. She said, "No they're all the same." I said, "That's like me calling you a Yankee." She didn't like that. She exclaimed, "I ain't no Yankee."

It's all a matter of perspective.

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu May 24, 2007 2:06 pm

Imagine the problems new investors have with 'GNMA', not knowing it's said Ginne Mae -- which sounds like a name for your aunt.

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu May 24, 2007 2:28 pm

Imagine the problems new investors have with 'GNMA', not knowing it's said Ginne Mae -- which sounds like a name for your aunt.
It would be just like some Boglehead to name their daughters Fannie Mae and Ginne Mae. :)

Paul

Latestarter

Post by Latestarter » Thu May 24, 2007 2:30 pm

If this is a serious question about REITs, what would a superficial question be? "Is this a good time to invest in them?"

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu May 24, 2007 2:35 pm

Latestarter wrote:If this is a serious question about REITs, what would a superficial question be? "Is this a good time to invest in them?"
Until recently REIT has been going up the roof!!!!

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu May 24, 2007 2:59 pm

If this is a serious question about REITs, what would a superficial question be? "Is this a good time to invest in them?"
I just sort of did. I'm moving sideways to free up space to realign some accounts. I'll try selling VNQ tomorrow.

Paul