Best Taxable Bond Funds IRA

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
elainet7

Best Taxable Bond Funds IRA

Post by elainet7 »

I have Inter term and long term corporate/govt bond funds and High Yield
Any other suggestions or consolidate all to total bond fund
Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: Best Taxable Bond Funds IRA

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

elainet7 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 am I have Inter term and long term corporate/govt bond funds and High Yield
Any other suggestions or consolidate all to total bond fund
It isn't possible to provide good guidance with such a small amount of information. If you want good advice, you can post in our Asking Portfolio Questions format. To keep all the information together you can edit your first post, using the button that looks like a pencil.

PJW
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I would add that after you have formatted your post you should be more specific with your question. "Best" means so many different things to different people as to be an almost meaningless word.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
mega317

Post by mega317 »

We actually have no idea if that is a simple question or a very complex question.

It doesn't really matter if a fund is doing well when you take your RMD because you can just buy it back in taxable.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

"Best" is subjective and depends on your individual preferences and risk tolerance. High yield would have the highest long term return but the highest risk. Short Term Treasury would be least risky, lowest return. Some would say that Roth IRA shouldn't have bonds.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Taxable or IRA?!
Corgitodd

Post by Corgitodd »

mega317 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 am We actually have no idea if that is a simple question or a very complex question.

It doesn't really matter if a fund is doing well when you take your RMD because you can just buy it back in taxable.
[/quote

That assumes you plan to reinvest the RMD. Asking for someones complete financial rundown seems to automatically assume a complex question. I understand the reasoning, but it seems like the knee jerk response to just about any question that isnt premised with a 3 paragraph financial run down, which some people may not be comfortable sharing on the internet.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I guess what I'm saying is the RMD has very little to do with it. If it's not the fund you want to sell then sell whatever you want in a different account and buy the one from the RMD that you didn't want to sell.

People can post as much or as little as they are comfortable with, but the OP was just a list of different types of bonds with no context whatsoever. I hope s/he returns so we can talk about it.
Topic Author
elainet7

Post by elainet7 »

this money is all IRA
I have a few Vanguard bond funds and ETFS in bonds
Long Term, Inter Term, Hi Yield
RETIRED age 69, wife 68
Large IRA 4.15m
OWN MUNI BONDS in Taxable acct
Taking d istributions for last 10yrs