In which companies do you own a single share, or token amount, of stock?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mpsz

Re: In which companies do you own a single share, or token amount, of stock?

Post by mpsz »

5 shares of BRK-B for the Geico discount.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Walmart
Coke
Mcdonalds
Linde
Dominion Energy
Disney

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Yeah, some play money in AMZN, GOOG, MSFT.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
csan

Post by csan »

MSFT, INTC, BP & BRK.B
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

Did a lot of reducing over the years, so we're down to

AMZN, NFLX, APPL, V (200-400% return, 10-50 shares left)
BRK.B (25 shares left)
CRM (25 shares)
T (100 shares left, just spits out 6% and does nothing else, but that 6% covers my wireless costs :)
ECL (forget how many)

Sold off Disney, which I kind of regret, but whatever.
Owned 10 shares of TSLA, but dumped them a while ago.

No real impact, but makes things interesting. I never ask "What is VTSAX up to today?"
jwfrazier

Post by jwfrazier »

dbapaddy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm Very unboglehead of me but I have several shares of Visa.
Ha, good for you. I own several hundred shares of Visa. Probably one of the best financial decisions I have made. I may not be smart enough to beat the market long term, but I have for the past 6 years largely due to Visa.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I own Prudential stock that was given to policy holders when the company demutualized. I keep it because the qualified dividends are comparable to treasury bills and to avoid capital gains taxes. The cost basis is zero for the shares.

DMW
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I've been slowly selling off my old ESOP shares in MO. At one time it was 10% of my 401K and now it's less than 1%.
TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 »

I own 9 shares of Nvidia.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

planetmike wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 am I still own 10 shares of Apple. I originally bought 20 shares in early 2000s, just so I could say I owned some. I'm so glad I didn't sell a couple years later when my stockbroker suggested I sell. Since I didn't need the money at that time, I held.
Can you blame stockbroker? They need you to sell or buy to be able to eat.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

500 shares of GM from the IPO.... Get like $190 quarterly in dividend check that goes to the Wife for her to have fun... Keep thinking I should sell it but....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I own quite a bit of individual stock.

Over half my paper/theoretical net worth is tied up in private equity of a tech startup I co-founded.

Got 105,000 shares of MoviePass.

10,000 shares of an Aussie pot stock I bought a few years ago on a gamble (pre-BH).
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We have often held a quite small number of shares of one or two individual stocks, partially to "Scratch the itch" of doing something occasionally other than buying and holding. Our single holding at the moment is Amazon, purchased several years ago. Our previous one was Google, and the one before that was Apple. Both were sold.

Tim
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

I hold a insignificant amount of Apple in a Robinhood account.
jcarter1272

Post by jcarter1272 »

I own 1 share of the Green Bay Packers, Inc. (which of course has no value and can't be traded). It looks good framed and I get to brag I'm a Packers owner.
schwank

Post by schwank »

19 years ago I was not long out of school, working at a software startup. I had just started investing my own money, and had made a few bucks on AAPL when the gumdrop iMac was a success. I took a $300 and invested in 100 shares of a small company making tech for traffic and traffic enforcement automation, as one of my coworkers fathers was on the board. A couple years later the stock had tanked and did a 10-1 reverse split, before eventually closing up shop.

I didn't know enough at the time to write those off and missed my window. Today the 10 shares sit worthless in my Fidelity account. I keep them there as a reminder to always perform my due diligence, and to know the rules of the games I play.
sco

Post by sco »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:50 am 2 shares of Bkh.b for the Geico discount.
1 share for the same reason
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

sco wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:40 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:50 am 2 shares of Bkh.b for the Geico discount.
So far 4 BHers have posted that they own 1-4 shares for the GEICO discount. When I went with GEICO I also considered buying a small amount of stock for the discount.

But I learned that FREE online membership in the Freelancers Union gave me the same discount. So I skipped buying the stock and simply joined https://www.freelancersunion.org/.

I was also told, but did not verify, that GEICO didn't actually check for Bkh.b ownership. I don't think that they checked my Freelancers Union membership when they gave me that discount.

I do not own a token amount of any stock.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I used to own a couple shares of Apple. Sold them years ago when I needed the money. Probably should have kept them ;)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
sco

Post by sco »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:50 am
So far 4 BHers have posted that they own 1-4 shares for the GEICO discount. When I went with GEICO I also considered buying a small amount of stock for the discount.

But I learned that FREE online membership in the Freelancers Union gave me the same discount. So I skipped buying the stock and simply joined https://www.freelancersunion.org/.

I was also told, but did not verify, that GEICO didn't actually check for Bkh.b ownership. I don't think that they checked my Freelancers Union membership when they gave me that discount.

I do not own a token amount of any stock.
Interesting, I guess I’ll let it ride though :)
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I sold off the individual stocks I owned, many of them I had a certificate of at least one share of, owning the single shares of stock became a paperwork nightmare. No broker tracking basis, dividends, or other accounting for you. Tax statements and dividend checks amounting to pennies. If you don't cash the penny checks they get sent to state unclaimed property. Trying to convert the shares to electronic deposits at a broker sometimes required Medallion signature guarantees from a bank. It was a mess that I'm glad to be done with.
The only company I own shares of now is the Registered Investment Company that is "Vanguard Index Funds" / Vanguard 500 Index

P.S. GEICO offers me a better discount through my career/professional group than claiming a BRK owner discount, and you can't stack them :(
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
danaht

Post by danaht »

I usually buy token shares of companies that I like and I buy these commission free in my Merrill Edge account.

SJM - 4 shares - I really like their peanut butter!
BAC - 15 shares - Bank of America offers a great loyalty program for credit cards and free stock trades
INTC - 5 shares - I have liked their 8086 chips for decades.
WBA - 4 shares - I like Walgreens - but like CVS a lot more (I have a much bigger position in CVS).
1stlink

Post by 1stlink »

BAC.L Sold some but kept 30 sh Love the div & minimal risk :sharebeer
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

tristessa79 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am I know it's not exactly the Boglehead way, but I'm sure most of us here own a few individual company stocks outside of our index funds.

I'm interested in hearing about the ones you own for not-just-financial reasons: your beliefs, your interests, sentimentality (!) or the freebies, such as:
  • I'm a fan of Warren Buffett's wisdom, so bought a single share of BRK-B in order to have some skin in the game. (Just like betting to make a basketball game more "interesting"!) Also, so I could get a ticket to the shareholder's meeting.
  • A friend brought a single share of Tesla stock in symbolic and philosophical support of clean energy (almost "putting his money where his mouth is").
  • I think I recall a Buffett interview once where he described buying 100 shares of a friend's company just to keep tabs on them.
  • I know a number of companies offer discounts on their products to shareholders.
Which companies do you own a piece of for reasons like the above?
OP - what constitutes a "token amount" in your thread title?
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I bought two shares of Aurora Cannabis ACB just for fun and lost money right away. Canopy is doing much better. 🙁

I'm not even much of a proponent so it was a counter intuitive thing for me.
primetime5

Post by primetime5 »

Outside of index funds I own a few percent of the privately held company I work at. It was a huge risk at the time with next to nothing in sales to show for it. It's up to $80M and climbing now so I just hope it keeps heading in the upward direction. It definitely keeps me on my toes.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

primetime5 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:12 pm Outside of index funds I own a few percent of the privately held company I work at. It was a huge risk at the time with next to nothing in sales to show for it. It's up to $80M and climbing now so I just hope it keeps heading in the upward direction. It definitely keeps me on my toes.
Per the title of this thread, does your "few percent of the privately held company I work at" represent a single share, or do you consider $80M a token amount?
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Own 1 share of NewsCorp. Get $.10 every quarter. Can't be sell due to trading fee of $25.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm I have 4.129 shares of Wabtec, shares spun off by a business deal involving Wabtec and GE.
I was just trying to remember the name of it after seeing the thread title. Thanks!
  • I have exactly 1 share of Wabtec due to the spin-off. I guess I should go ahead and sell that since I don't have a reason to keep it..
  • Around 1% of my portfolio is in the stock of a former employer. It is a mid-cap value company that based on what I know of the company I believe has a decent chance of outperforming the rest of market, and at a minimum a low risk of significant loss, but I honestly would not own it were it not for my historical connection to the company.
  • I do NOT own any shares outside of index funds of my current employer, although I used to before I worked here. I'm not keen on potential correlation between their financial health and my employment, but the reason I sold them was simply because I thought they were getting over-valued.
  • My wife has 1 share certificate in a local community bank her grandparents gifted her decades ago. The non-financial reason we have it is she simply lost track of it at some point growing up, until it showed up in box we unpacked after moving.

The bank no longer exists. It appears to have sold out at some point to a regional bank. I've been intending to look up the successor and inquire whether the certificate is in any way redeemable.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I own exactly 7 shares of Amazon. I bought when I thought the price was good (~$950), and I had the cash available. I’ll probably just hold it and it’ll remain a small percentage (~3-4%) of my portfolio.
primetime5

Post by primetime5 »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am
primetime5 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:12 pm Outside of index funds I own a few percent of the privately held company I work at. It was a huge risk at the time with next to nothing in sales to show for it. It's up to $80M and climbing now so I just hope it keeps heading in the upward direction. It definitely keeps me on my toes.
Per the title of this thread, does your "few percent of the privately held company I work at" represent a single share, or do you consider $80M a token amount?
I own a token amount of shares in an $80M company.
pearlie42

Post by pearlie42 »

small shares of intc, msft,goog, kr, aapl,gold. All together, they are under 5% of portfolio, the rest are in index funds in 401k account
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Small holding of 5.xx shared of NVidia (NVDA). Used to have a couple of Spotify because I liked the idea of it, and Dropbox because I have used them ever since they started and I wanted to be part of the company. Sold those (SPOT was in the green, DBX deep red :D )

I have a few more holdings in other companies but these are significantly higher in terms of number of shares (although not really *significant*).
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I still hold some shares of AMZN, FB, AAPL, NFLX, and MSFT from years ago. I sold off BRKB, T, HON, V, WMT over the last few years and put it all into VTI/VEA. I also bought a small amount of Pinterest when it IPO'd last year for fun. Up 80% of that bet currently.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

Currently own:
Berkshire B, AMD, and a free stock called X which I'm just keeping out of entertainment (what is the chance a random stock going belly up)

Been beating the market so far. Ehh. Could have been cause I was entirely lucky with AMD and AMD has been literally flying to the moon.
But ya, that's my stock life.

Pretty much all my friends has been 'beating the market' but I think that's more cause we are taking far more risks than the market (by being exposed to only a few companies) and cause tech has been doing so well.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Ok, I am buying one and calling Geico today :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm I have 4.129 shares of Wabtec, shares spun off by a business deal involving Wabtec and GE.

Currently on my holding I am up 13 cents, stock trading at $78.01, but I'm holding out for $79/share with a limit order I put in a couple of days ago.

All my other individual stocks are each valued in the thousands of dollars. So a holding worth $315-$320 seems to qualify as a token amount.

Broken Man 1999
I received only 2 shares of Wabtec during that spin off. I got cash for the fractional shares.

And I plan to keep them forever just in case Wabtec buys out GE some day.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I bought one share of Starbucks decades ago because I live in Seattle and they used to have great annual shareholder meetings with live entertainment, made-to-order coffee drinks, and gift bags at the end with a pound of coffee, snacks and a mug. Also, the annual report used to have a coupon for a free drink at any Starbucks. The benefits dwindled over the years but I came out way ahead of the price of one share.

I bought one share of Amazon 5 years ago so that I could attend the shareholders meeting and see Bezos in person. The security to get into the meeting rivaled any airport security I've ever been through. I think there were as many security guards there as people attending.

And 1 share of Berkshire for the hard copy annual report and in case I ever want to go to the annual meeting.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Doc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Currently on my holding I am up 13 cents, stock trading at $78.01, but I'm holding out for $79/share with a limit order I put in a couple of days ago.

All my other individual stocks are each valued in the thousands of dollars. So a holding worth $315-$320 seems to qualify as a token amount.

Broken Man 1999
I received only 2 shares of Wabtec during that spin off. I got cash for the fractional shares.

And I plan to keep them forever just in case Wabtec buys out GE some day.
A blast from the past! I sold all my Wabtec. I still have GE, to the tune of 1000 shares. I am ever the optimist on GE. I made some nice bucks in another round of individual stocks that included GE. At the moment my GE stock is my hair shirt of individual stock investing. Fortunately my current (and last) round of buying individual stocks had/has Apple and Microsoft, so I did/am doing well even with my GE
boat anchor.

I am tempted to buy Apple again, but that would just be a greedy move on my part. Still....

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
snowox

Post by snowox »

1% of my AA which is part of my cash is in a fun Trading account. Currently holding mostly a couple of baskets of spec/turn around stocks betting 5G, Retail, Pharma for the most part. Kinda a hobbie and I like learning about what companies are doing and the research. Retirement hobbie
terran

Post by terran »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 am We only own one share of BRK.A because it would cost too much to sell. The kids will get the stepped up basis.
I didn't look too far into it, so you'd want to research it, but it seems you can convert BRK.A to BRK.B in a (one way) conversion. Kind of like converting VTSAX to VTI. You'd still have just as much gains in total, but if you wanted to harvest those gains slowly now or at some point in the future or if you wanted to give them to the kids equally that might be helpful.
sco

Post by sco »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:03 pm
Do it online :)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Currently, none.

For a number of years I owned forty shares of an electric company and once traveled to their annual meeting and introduced a shareholders' resolution, which was defeated by, I don't remember, something like 99.25% against, 0.75% for.

I gave a stock certificate for a single share of Target to my granddaughter when she was fourteen or so--along with a $50 EE savings bond and a $50 series I savings bond--in hopes that she would learn something from them, but as best I can tell, she didn't. The Target stock was a really terrible deal because I bought it from an online firm that specialized in doing that sort of thing, and I paid something like $110 for a stock certificate for a share of stock worth about $50, in a cheesy cardboard frame... because it was way too difficult to try to do it any other way.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

3 shares of Google in my fun account.

I had to dig up the old login to my penny stocks account for this one.

https://imgur.com/a/oIaX9C2

I think I purchased a nominal amount of AIG stock during the 2008 recession, thought I could catch a falling knife. There was a subsequent reverse stock split, I think the brokerage rounded down.

I told myself that would be the last time I dabbled in penny stocks. There were a couple of relapses in the 2010's but for the most part got a lot better.

I would love to figure out how to get rid of that delisted position that's worth zero in the top row…
Doc

Post by Doc »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm A blast from the past! I sold all my Wabtec. I still have GE, to the tune of 1000 shares. I am ever the optimist on GE.
In the spring of '09 DW said "the market is way down we should buy some stock". I told here we already had plenty of stock mutual funds. She replied "No not stock funds. Real stocks." So I bought the GE as a means to try to get diversity from a single "stock".

We still own the GE but I did tax loss harvest it once. It's at a loss again but I am not going to tell her.

And I will never sell the Wabtec.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Post by 123 »

I have a small amount in an equity ETF based on the country of my ancestors. It doesn't trade very much and I have some concerns that it could be closed. But it's just a nice reminder of my heritage every time I look at my portfolio. It does give me some insight into how things are going "over there". I learned about it in a posting here at bogleheads.org at few years back and decided I wanted to hold some ot it as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Greenman72

Post by Greenman72 »

The Green Bay Packers
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:03 pm
How would they even know if you’re a shareholder?

Just call and tell them you’re a shareholder and get a discount?
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Southwest airlines and a couple of silver mining companies. Just old holdings I have failed to close out.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I own a fraction of a share in DuPont, held at Schwab. It came about from the Dark Ages when I (thought I) sold all of my shares decades ago, but apparently made a mistake. So there it sits. I've asked Schwab to make it go away, and they agreed, but it's still there. At this point, it is being ignored. :D