What is your one favorite fixed income for retirement?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Bronco Billy

What is your one favorite fixed income for retirement?

Post by Bronco Billy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

I am getting close to retiring in the next couple of months. Most of my life i been on the Warren Buffet plan in the S&P 500 and making money. Its been good and have a couple of annuities, CD and cash in the MM. With you're help i would like to see what other options people are using once they do retire.

Thanks in advance,
Billy
It's a POOR woman that cannot support ONE man.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: What is your one favorite fixed income for retirement?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm

generally the three fund portfolio is recommended which means for the fixed income portion an intermediate high quality bond fund will work. The recommendation often is the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund (or something comparable at competing fund families). This is U.S. only and now Vanguard offers an international index fund and a global bond fund, but for U.S. investors who don't have a target date retirement fund the Total Bond Market Index Fund (U.S.) is sufficient. It contains 70% government bonds and 30% corporate. Short, intermediate and long term bonds and the average duration is 6.0 years. Contains 8463 bonds. All investment grade (no junk).

However, others prefer shorter durations due to fear of rising rates. So they might use a short term bond index fund. They may reduce volatility somewhat but also give up returns as well (risk/reward tradeoff).

Some like TIPS for some inflation protection. I believe TIPS will do better than the bond fund if inflation is unexpected but will do worse than bond funds if inflation is as expected.

Others use CDs, high yielding, generally through online banks. check bankrate.com
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

laidback_and_relaxed

Post by laidback_and_relaxed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm a little different than most folks on this site, I use individual corporate bonds (A rated and above), Treasuries, and CDs, all in a ladder that goes through the next 7 to 8 years. You'll see mention here and in the field to it as a "Liability Matching Portfolio", and I used corporate bonds mostly. I'm somewhat unique here though.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm

I avoid corporate bonds, because I prefer to take risks with stocks instead.

So Treasuries, TIPS, and cash equivalents.

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

The exact fixed income product you use doesn't matter all that much - how you take risk on the equity side is far more important, because equities are so much riskier in general. You still want to minimize costs, though. I'm currently leaning towards individual TIPS bonds, due to costs (zero through treasurydirect.gov) and how the bonds match up with your expected expenses.

Currently I'm really early in accumulation phase, though, so all I actually have right now is a rewards checking account for short-term budgetary cash management. Kicks me like $10/mo for putting direct deposit through that particular checking account, basically.
Current portfolio: 60% VTI / 40% VXUS

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm

My favorite FI thing would be TIAA Traditional at around 4%, actually 3.75% starting this month for new money.
This version of Trad isn't "liquid" but that's fine for me...
Attempted new signature...

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm

For me, short term U.S. Treasuries of less than 2 years duration and Treasury bills in a money market fund of 30 days average duration. I take all my risk on the equity side. My equities are 100% S&P 500 index funds. Similar to the Warren Buffett suggestion. I am 15 years to retirement and my wife 20 years. I have cash/short treasuries of about 10%. As I get closer to retirement I anticipate more like a 70/30 or maybe 60/40 about 5-10 years out. I like to stick with U.S. treasuries. No corporate. No foreign bonds. I came to that conclusion after reading David Swenson’s book “Unconventional Success”. Although he suggests a longer duration nominal treasuries and TIPS.
Last edited by Ferdinand2014 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Bronco Billy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm
have a couple of annuities, CD and cash in the MM. With you're help i would like to see what other options people are using once they do retire.
SS, pensions and the VG Total Bond Fund are the majority of my fixed income - so, I guess they are my favorites.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm retired and all of my fixed income (46%) is in money market funds, so my fixed income duration is zero (0). I'm thinking of raising the duration a smidgen to match the DFA short-term funds which ride the yield curve. For example, the DFA one-year govt fund is currently at 0.87 years duration. I would proceed by adding an SST fund or an STBI fund or maybe even ST TIPS.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm

All investments are personal decisions, so suggest reading both recommended bond books to come up to speed on your options. Search Wiki for list of recommended "books".

Why read both bond books? Where recommended authors agree, that is the central road to Dublin. Where recommended authors disagree, those are alternate routes and more risky. You must know you can tolerate more risk before following an alternate route.

You'll need to live with your choice(s) for several years to see how they fit you. Don't be surprised if your initial choices are not your final choices.

My current favorite FI is an IT single-state muni fund, paired with a LT national muni fund to reduce single-state risk. Both return more after-tax than TBM (total bond market index fund).

It required ~10years of trying different FI options to settle on these. During that time I was learning about me, and what investments fit me.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm

social security!!! :sharebeer
Act soon... time is running out

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm

More or less favor the idea of a 5 year CD ladder where 5 years of living expenses at least are accounted for. Adding to that a 10 year TRSY ladder if AA permits. Don't live in a high tax situation so muni's do not seem like much help. Overall AA would be moderate.

If interest rates were more normal and higher than ticker BLV (VG LT bond index) would get some serious consideration, the majority of the bond AA.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

Spinola

Post by Spinola » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Social Security (increases the longer you wait to start) and TIAA Traditional, are the "main course" fixed income sources of my retirement. Stocks are just the gravy, TIAA Real Estate the mashed potatoes, and bonds are the peas. :mrgreen:

Elric

Post by Elric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm

laidback_and_relaxed wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm
I'm a little different than most folks on this site, I use individual corporate bonds (A rated and above), Treasuries, and CDs, all in a ladder that goes through the next 7 to 8 years. You'll see mention here and in the field to it as a "Liability Matching Portfolio", and I used corporate bonds mostly. I'm somewhat unique here though.
While individual corporate bonds are probably unusual for Bogleheads, I use a mix of an intermediate investment-grade corporate bond ETF (Vanguard Interm-Term Corp Bond ETF, VCIT), Treasuries, and muni's (the latter in taxable). The muni's and treasuries are laddered. If we have another 2008, my corporate / Treasuries mix will likely do a bit worse than Vanguard's total bond fund, as it did then. Short of that, I hope to get a bit more total return.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:50 pm

MMKT: VMMXX or PCOXX flip a coin
Short: BSV
Interm.: AGG, BIV

dcop

Post by dcop » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm

VWETX - Vanguard Long-Term Investment-Grade Fund Admiral Shares is my favorite fixed mainly because I don't care about the share price, only the interest payout each month which is about 4.7% of my original purchase not including any Cap gains paid out. The total return adds up quickly with that interest rate. I also have a chunk of my fixed in my Vanguard MM settlement fund paying about 2.5.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Dodge & Cox Income Fund (DODIX). Fairly low cost, experienced and stable management team, good critical mass for efficient buy/selling, bond market allocations that change reasonably with fixed income market conditions, and consistently good performance. Owned since 2004. If I get to pick 2, it would be DODIX and individual Treasuries.

antiqueman

Post by antiqueman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

[quote=pascalwager post_id=4495546 time=1555358362 user_id=31062]
I'm retired and all of my fixed income (46%) is in money market funds, so my fixed income duration is zero (0). I'm thinking of raising the duration a smidgen to match the DFA short-term funds which ride the yield curve. For example, the DFA one-year govt fund is currently at 0.87 years duration. I would proceed by adding an SST fund or an STBI fund or maybe even ST TIPS.
[/quote]

Pascal, why do you use a MM fund for such a large percentage of you assets? Why not ladder cd's or 1 to 5 year treasuries.

I know you know a lot about investing from reading your posts. So I would appreciate you advising why you have such large percent in MM?

Thanks.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

For me Social Security and a pension, both of which are fixed and income as opposed to fixed income which is neither. I don't have an answer whether I would buy an SPIA if there were no pension income, but people should always be aware of such things.

But more seriously I can't see a rationale for any single sort of cash and bonds distinct from all others. I guess I see any form of low cost intermediate duration bond index funds to be as good an answer as there is for long term retirement investments. I don't have a strong argument against using CDs either, and, of course, stable value funds can work very well. The nature of the problem is that there are lots of perfectly good right answers.

What needs to be remembered is that the result of the whole is what counts and there are many roads to Dublin.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Rental incomes🤓

honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 pm

LSFYX or LSFAX if account is not large enough (A share require 100K). These are loan funds.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 pm

If you are old school and have the stomach for it: dividends from individual stocks.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 pm

However, that's income not fixed income - big difference!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund.
Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund.

Topic Author
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Paisley wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 pm
If you are old school and have the stomach for it: dividends from individual stocks.
I do want to think a little outside of the box.. never really played with stocks but have looked at VYM and SPHD.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 pm

antiqueman wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm
pascalwager wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Pascal, why do you use a MM fund for such a large percentage of you assets? Why not ladder cd's or 1 to 5 year treasuries.

I know you know a lot about investing from reading your posts. So I would appreciate you advising why you have such large percent in MM?

Thanks.
There are no attractive yields right now--the yield spreads are less than 0.20% (20 bps)/year of maturity. So why take any risk? But some deplore doing this and call it market timing, and I guess they're right. After all, interest rates could rise/fall and increase/decrease the MMF value and produce the opposite effect (fall/rise) on the bond fund. It's probably best to pick a duration to match your risk appetite/time horizon and just stay there regardless of fund yields. It helps that I've been a very short-term bond investor for a long time, so zero duration isn't a dramatic change.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:30 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 pm
antiqueman wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm
pascalwager wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks.
There are no attractive yields right now--the yield spreads are less than 0.20% (20 bps)/year of maturity. So why take any risk? But some deplore doing this and call it market timing, and I guess they're right. After all, interest rates could rise/fall and increase/decrease the MMF value and produce the opposite effect (fall/rise) on the bond fund. It's probably best to pick a duration to match your risk appetite/time horizon and just stay there regardless of fund yields. It helps that I've been a very short-term bond investor for a long time, so zero duration isn't a dramatic change.
Also, I don't like laddering, too inconvenient compared to funds; but you can hold to maturity and be assured of getting your money back.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:57 am

In tax deferred: All target funds.

In taxable: A municipal bond fund (FHIGX) and intermediate treasury index fund (FUAMX), split 50/50.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

My favorite is a TIAA traditional SPIA that's paying 5.61% until both of us are gone. Non-inflation-adjusted, but it currently covers most of our expenses. Spouses SS fills the gap, and my SS at 70 will put us well over the top.
The portfolio, with both VTSAX and VBTLX is the cherry on top.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am

I have multiple types of fixed income assets but overwhelmingly they are FDIC insured or US Treasury backed.
Last edited by AlwaysaQ on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 am

I like (bank or brokered) CDs and Vanguard Prime MMF (VMMXX) for money we will need in the next 5 years, due to safety of principal.

teacher

Post by teacher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

Our favorite fixed is a Stable Value fund in the 401k which is generating about $48 a day ($17,520 annual). Rates don't vary much and the fund doesn't require management on our part, with the exception of RMD withdrawals. When we make RMD withdrawals from SV, we put the residual after taxes in CDs which requires looking for best interest rates and maturity dates each year. We replenish the SV fund with 401k equities (TSM) after the equities side recovers from the RMD withdrawal.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:00 pm

My 457b stable value at 4.75%.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:37 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm
My favorite FI thing would be TIAA Traditional at around 4%, actually 3.75% starting this month for new money.
This version of Trad isn't "liquid" but that's fine for me...
I see that RC went from 4.25% to 4%.

Trust_In_TylerDurden

Post by Trust_In_TylerDurden » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Dear laidback_and_relaxed, I really like your approach, but don't know enough to put together a portfolio by myself. Would you be willing to share your picks with the ladder?

Cheers,
Sam

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Trust_In_TylerDurden, Welcome! A basic tenet of investing is "Never invest in anything you don't understand".

May I recommend you start a new thread in the Personal Investments forum and post your portfolio using the Asking Portfolio Questions format? It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

You may only need information to complete a ladder, but we might be able to provide some alternatives that you haven't thought of.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm

"TIAA Tradtional" was recommended is several posts in this thread.
So can anyone invest in this? It looks like a good deal for fixed income.

(I thought you had to be a teacher or have some related public sector job to have this. I know anyone can start an account in TIAA bank, but I had no idea you could invest in these higher interest rate vehicles from outside an employer plan. But is sounds like you can from the posts up above. Thanks for any clarification.)

This was a quote from this thread:

This version of Trad isn't "liquid" but that's fine for me..

I found this fact sheet online:

https://www.tiaa.org/public/pdf/TT_FAQ.pdf

Topic Author
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:18 am

teacher wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am
Our favorite fixed is a Stable Value fund.
Can you tell me more about this fund? I googled Stable Value fund and it showed TIAA has a Stable fund and the interest was like 2%. Is this what you are talking about?

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 am

delamer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm
I avoid corporate bonds, because I prefer to take risks with stocks instead.

So Treasuries, TIPS, and cash equivalents.
+1 Clarification: TIPS are treasuries.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 am

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm
"TIAA Tradtional" was recommended is several posts in this thread.
So can anyone invest in this? It looks like a good deal for fixed income.

(I thought you had to be a teacher or have some related public sector job to have this. I know anyone can start an account in TIAA bank, but I had no idea you could invest in these higher interest rate vehicles from outside an employer plan. But is sounds like you can from the posts up above. Thanks for any clarification.)
A fairly wide class of investors can get access to TIAA Traditional in an IRA.

However, even if you could, you shouldn't--the IRA version is inferior, currently paying only 1.3% on new contributions. At those rates, you'd be better off using CDs for your IRA space.

To get access to the useful forms of TIAA Traditional, it needs to be available in your employer's retirement plan.

bigskyguy

Post by bigskyguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 am

TIPS ladder, with a longevity annuity chaser (been there, done that).

Set it and forget it.

teacher

Post by teacher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am

Bronco Billy asked:
Can you tell me more about this fund? I googled Stable Value fund and it showed TIAA has a Stable fund and the interest was like 2%. Is this what you are talking about?
Last time I checked, a few years ago, stable value funds were not available in either IRAs or taxable accounts due to regulations. You can get them through a 401k, 529, 403b or 457b. If you have access to a stable value fund, check the expense ratio and yield. Also, some SV funds have withdrawal restrictions. Ours does not.

Poster Sereant on this thread said his stable value fund is at 4.75%. DH's 401k is through AT&T at Fidelity and his SV yielded 2.55% this past year, but that is good enough for us because every day, for nine years, the fund value has gone in the right direction, up, currently, averaging $48 a day.

Note:
Stable value funds invest in high-quality government and corporate bonds, short-term, and intermediate term. They are no different from any bond fund, except they are insured. An insurance company or bank is contractually obligated to protect the fund's investors from any loss of capital or interest.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/st ... e-fund.asp

laidback_and_relaxed

Post by laidback_and_relaxed » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Trust_In_TylerDurden wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm
Dear laidback_and_relaxed, I really like your approach, but don't know enough to put together a portfolio by myself. Would you be willing to share your picks with the ladder?

Cheers,
Sam

Hi Sam,

It wouldn't make sense to copy my portfolio, each persons' ladder in a Liability Matching fashion is custom to the individual's expected liabilities, and the time frame required to fund the liability. Idealy you start building the ladder years before the liability matching needs to occur. That way you can purchase bonds and notes with a minimum of x years before they mature. In my case I started building the ladder 5 years before I retired and needed the income and maturing bonds/notes to fund the liabilities. So now my average duration is about 4 years.

Having access to an investment platform helps. Fidelity is the one I use, buying bonds and notes is pretty easy there and the ask/bid price spreads pretty easy to see. Treasuries and new CDs are commission free.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am

Elric wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm
While individual corporate bonds are probably unusual for Bogleheads, I use a mix of an intermediate investment-grade corporate bond ETF (Vanguard Interm-Term Corp Bond ETF, VCIT), Treasuries, and muni's (the latter in taxable). The muni's and treasuries are laddered. If we have another 2008, my corporate / Treasuries mix will likely do a bit worse than Vanguard's total bond fund, as it did then. Short of that, I hope to get a bit more total return.
Same here. Same as Elric. (say hi to Stormbringer for me).
VCIT / Treasuries / Munis

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:30 pm

From the time I devised my portfolio in 2007, my fixed income has been 50/50 bond index and stable value. I haven't seen any reason to change that in retirement.

I might consider some TIPS holdings in the future.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jjustice

Post by jjustice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

TIAA Traditional, hands down. You have to work for an institution that has it in its retirement plan. There may be a public IRA version, but it would pay less.
John