For those who were wondering what really happened...

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

For those who were wondering what really happened...

Post by Rick Ferri »

A lot of people have asked or wondered what really happened three years ago that caused me to leave Portfolio Solutions. Now that a non-compete is over, I opened up to ThinkAdviser reporter Bernice Napach. Hold on to your hats!

Rick Ferri Is Back in Business, Challenging the AUM Fee Model

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
aspirit

Re: For those who were wondering what really happened...

Post by aspirit »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm A lot of people have asked or wondered what really happened three years ago that caused me to leave Portfolio Solutions. Now that a non-compete is over, I opened up to ThinkAdviser reporter Bernice Napach. Hold on to your hats!

Rick Ferri
Thx for that info RICK!
:happy
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Sorry you had to go through that, but congrats on winning.
Greenman72

Post by Greenman72 »

I'm still waiting on my royalty check for the "Core 4" name that you stole from underneath me.
In case you've forgotten my address, you can PM me.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

At least your not claiming ownership of my name. Long story!
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Thank you very much. I admit to curiosity and some concern, particularly about the surprisingly small size of your full-time RV.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hi Rick -

Interesting story and I wish you and the new firm a lot of luck and success.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 »

Very cool, and congratulations. May I ask: How did you arrive at $450/hour, and in general how could newcomers judge whether someone is charging a fair hourly rate?
Already impartial now...and you have a nice day.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Welcome back Rick. Glad to hear that you are out from under the NCC. I think you're one of the good guys and I look forward to seeing you back on the forum more often. I know that you have a few detractors but I'm sure you are used to that by now. It's a new day.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Rick Ferri wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm A lot of people have asked or wondered what really happened three years ago that caused me to leave Portfolio Solutions. Now that a non-compete is over, I opened up to ThinkAdviser reporter Bernice Napach. Hold on to your hats!

Rick Ferri
It is nice to see a favorable outcome for a good guy like Rick. Congrats and keep up with your crusade.
DB2

Post by DB2 »

Hey Rick,

I think you do a really nice job laying out the portfolio options, examples, and specific fund options, etc. on the Core 4 site. Good stuff.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

saintsfan342000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:51 pm Very cool, and congratulations. May I ask: How did you arrive at $450/hour, and in general how could newcomers judge whether someone is charging a fair hourly rate?
I am also interested in this question.

Please note: This is NOT an implied criticism of the rate that you have chosen, it is a question of the process of choosing an appropriate rate to charge for intellectual services.

Thanks,

Ralph
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I asked Allan Roth.

Rick Ferri
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm I asked Allan Roth.

Rick Ferri
Just remember if your schedule fills up, you are not charging enough. I must admit it seems like sort of a niche service between the people who will do it all themselves and the ones that want to outsource most of it . How many people will rebalance, do tax efficient withdrawals, TLHJ, and so on but can't pick out assets? Seems like someone familiar with Rick would also be up on the various passive portfolios. But niche services still need to be filled.
Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit »

“A client with $2 million paying 0.9% of AUM annually is told that half the fee is for planning and half is for investment management, but continues to pay $9,000 every single year for a financial plan that’s already done, explains Ferri.”

Not to nitpick but 0.9% AUM of $2M is $18k.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
software

Post by software »

Time2Quit wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 pm “A client with $2 million paying 0.9% of AUM annually is told that half the fee is for planning and half is for investment management, but continues to pay $9,000 every single year for a financial plan that’s already done, explains Ferri.”

Not to nitpick but 0.9% AUM of $2M is $18k.
And half of 18k is...? (Hint: re-read the quote)
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Congrats Rick. Good article. The $450/ hr and $500 one-time initial are compelling values. There are a lot of folks who are very DIY but would benefit from a second pair of eyes.
Cheers
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

Harry Livermore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 am Congrats Rick. Good article. The $450/ hr and $500 one-time initial are compelling values. There are a lot of folks who are very DIY but would benefit from a second pair of eyes.
Cheers
I agree, even if it's just getting a confirmation we're "getting most of it right and not making any big mistakes".
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
DEZ1

Post by DEZ1 »

I gave Mr. Ferri’s new business a try and was very satisfied! Highly recommend!
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Count me in as curious what this 90 minute session would provide to a typical Boglehead. One instance I could see is providing some professional reassurance that an investor can DIY if they have a spouse, parent, etc... that is dubious.