2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WAIT LIST IS AVAILABLE.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WAIT LIST IS AVAILABLE.

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

WE'RE SOLD OUT AND REGISTRATIONS IS CLOSED.

If you'd like to be added to the wait list in case of cancellations, feel free to indicate your desire to be put on the wait list by stating so at the end of this thread.

We are pleased to announce that our 2019 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 16, 2019. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 18, 2019.

We plan to make the Conference a Celebration of Jack Bogle’s life. We think Jack would like that, since he really enjoyed being with his Bogleheads.

Our previous Conferences were sold out within a few hours, so we suggest you not delay in registering and making your payment. Due to the size of our venue, our maximum attendance is limited.

Investing notables expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, Bogleheads Queen Laura Dogu, Rick Ferri, Mel Lindauer, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll share some memories of Jack Bogle, followed by a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with the various authors and experts in attendance. There will also be a breakout session with author and financial advisor, Allan Roth, CFP, CPA, MBA, as well as an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll have a presentation from Gus Sauter, followed by another Q&A session with the Panel of Experts. (Agenda is subject to change.)

The registration fee for this meeting is US$325 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your reservation and submit your payment right now to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very quickly and we expect to do so again this year. So if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration form by going here
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

Please notice that after submitting the registration form, you will be directed to PayPal for payment for the conference. You can pay with a credit card or debit card. You DO NOT need a PayPal account to complete your payment. You are not registered until payment is acknowledged. Once the conference has reached capacity we will terminate registration. If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com

Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $149 per night (king or double queen) plus 11% tax. This special rate is available from October 14 through October 19. Other nights are available at a reduced rate for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
oldcomputerguy

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION OPEN ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Wow. Talk about luck. Just happened to hit the forum and saw this. I'm in!

Eagerly awaiting hotel info.... :happy
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

After registering and paying via Paypal, I was taken to a webpage with the schedule info for Bogleheads 2018 (Oct 3-5), but I hope I am actually registered for 2019, is that correct?
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am After registering and paying via Paypal, I was taken to a webpage with the schedule info for Bogleheads 2018 (Oct 3-5), but I hope I am actually registered for 2019, is that correct?
It says, "on October 3 - 5, 2018." Those are the dates from last year. Presumably someone forgot to update for 2019. Anyway, I'm in.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am After registering and paying via Paypal, I was taken to a webpage with the schedule info for Bogleheads 2018 (Oct 3-5), but I hope I am actually registered for 2019, is that correct?
Yes, you're registered for 2019. We can't find where PayPay got that old link, so just ignore it.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

In true Boglehead fashion, I'm considering buying 10 spots and then selling them to the highest bidder... :moneybag :greedy

Ok, I'm not really... :wink: Would have to have too many fake names.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Thanks Mel for your hard work in setting this up. Also thanks to your hard working team.

Looking forward to it.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am In true Boglehead fashion, I'm considering buying 10 spots and then selling them to the highest bidder... :moneybag :greedy

Ok, I'm not really... :wink: Would have to have too many fake names.
Apparently, you overlooked the "non-transferrable" portion of the announcement! We'd catch you! :D
tenchy46

Post by tenchy46 »

By mistake, I registered twice in my name. What should I do to include my spouse? Thanks in advance.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as airport to hotel transportation options.
The link Paypal sends us to after paying instructed us that we should ¨email BogleheadsConference@gmail.com¨ for hotel info after getting Paypal confirmation.

I did this immediately but then wondered if the procedure this year is different and maybe the organizers were planning to send that info automatically to registered and paid participants (rather than dealing with hundreds of individual emailed requests.)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

tenchy46 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 am By mistake, I registered twice in my name. What should I do to include my spouse? Thanks in advance.
Register and pay for your spouse.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as airport to hotel transportation options.
The link Paypal sends us to after paying instructed us that we should ¨email BogleheadsConference@gmail.com¨ for hotel info after getting Paypal confirmation.

I did this immediately but then wondered if the procedure this year is different and maybe the organizers were planning to send that info automatically to registered and paid participants (rather than dealing with hundreds of individual emailed requests.)
You'll receive a separate email from us, confirming that you're registered and paid and providing all the needed information.
brainstorming

Post by brainstorming »

I am so excited to be apart of the 2019 Bogleheads Conference as we celebrate Jack Bogle. I awoke this morning after our “Cyclone Blizzard” and checked the forum. Registered and I got in! I am looking forward to meeting all those that have guided me in seeking my financial independence - after 30 years, now I am retired while helping others, and living the dream in Colorado.
Last edited by brainstorming on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

SimplicityNow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am Thanks Mel for your hard work in setting this up. Also thanks to your hard working team.

Looking forward to it.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very fortunate to have a great team. It definitely takes a great team to pull this off.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Can't make it this year.
The rest of you have a good time with it...
Attempted new signature...
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

Registered, returning after attending one conference in which I met Mr. Bogle.

I never returned before because I really wanted other people to get a chance to meet him, now seems the right time. I don't know what to expect except the people who attend these conferences are really top notch rare individuals with level heads. Always great conversations. I hope Laura can come.

I hope Christine Benz and Rick Ferri can also get to attend, they always light up the room.

Last time I was there I was trying a new type of digital camcorder and took lots of video I finally decided not to post it online since it was agreed the location needed to remain anonymous. Things have changed. If anyone wants it perhaps if its approved it can be made availalble again.

The last time I saw Jack was at the Bershire Hathaway meeting in Omaha Nebraska when Mr. Buffet was honoring him.. quite a shocker when I had just seen him previously at the Bogleheads conference. I think what they say about Quantum Entanglement is true.. once you cross paths your life is forever changed.

I'm so excited to be attending this conference!

Thank you
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 am
SimplicityNow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am Thanks Mel for your hard work in setting this up. Also thanks to your hard working team.

Looking forward to it.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very fortunate to have a great team. It definitely takes a great team to pull this off.
Very welcome and well deserved.

On another note: Do you know when the e-mail will be going out with conference details and hotel information?
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Yay, I got in! Living on the West Coast, I thought I may miss out on an early morning announcement, so very happy to participate and share and gain wisdom with other Bogleheads.

Thank you so much Mel and team, for your unending dedication to Jack’s principles. I really hope Taylor can attend also. See you in October.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

jwillis77373 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 am Registered, returning after attending one conference in which I met Mr. Bogle.

I never returned before because I really wanted other people to get a chance to meet him, now seems the right time. I don't know what to expect except the people who attend these conferences are really top notch rare individuals with level heads. Always great conversations. I hope Laura can come.

I hope Christine Benz and Rick Ferri can also get to attend, they always light up the room.

Last time I was there I was trying a new type of digital camcorder and took lots of video I finally decided not to post it online since it was agreed the location needed to remain anonymous. Things have changed. If anyone wants it perhaps if its approved it can be made availalble again.

The last time I saw Jack was at the Bershire Hathaway meeting in Omaha Nebraska when Mr. Buffet was honoring him.. quite a shocker when I had just seen him previously at the Bogleheads conference. I think what they say about Quantum Entanglement is true.. once you cross paths your life is forever changed.

I'm so excited to be attending this conference!

Thank you
Glad you' were able to attend previously and meet Jack.

The hotel name and location SHOULD NOT be mentioned, so don't post or provide any video for that reason.

And, yes, both Rick Ferri and Christine Benz will be attending again this year.

See you in Philly in October!

Mel
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

SimplicityNow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 am On another note: Do you know when the e-mail will be going out with conference details and hotel information?
Just to try to save many folks from having to ask the same question, here is the response I got in my email after emailing the "bogleheadsconference" email:
You'll get a confirmation email from us, providing all the needed information. Right now we're working on the registration. Confirmation will come later.
So I'm gonna sit tight and keep an eye on my Inbox. I'm guessing that the team has their hands full at the moment. :wink:

:beer

Edited to add: Just got the email. So to all those who have registered, sit tight.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am
SimplicityNow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 am On another note: Do you know when the e-mail will be going out with conference details and hotel information?
Just to try to save many folks from having to ask the same question, here is the response I got in my email after emailing the "bogleheadsconference" email:
You'll get a confirmation email from us, providing all the needed information. Right now we're working on the registration. Confirmation will come later.
So I'm gonna sit tight and keep an eye on my Inbox. I'm guessing that the team has their hands full at the moment. :wink:

Thanks for the info.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

keith1660 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 am I am so excited to be apart of the 2019 Bogleheads Conference as we celebrate Jack Bogle. I awoke this morning after our “Cyclone Blizzard” and checked the forum. Registered and I got in! I am looking forward to meeting all those that have guided me in seeking my financial independence - after 30 years, now I am retired while helping others, and living the dream in Colorado.
Looking forward to seeing you in Philly in October.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am

Edited to add: Just got the email. So to all those who have registered, sit tight.
My teammate, Mel Turner, a/k/a TOM (The Other Mel) is just starting to send out the confirmation emails.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

So looking forward to seeing the Philly area again in autumn!! This year I hope to have my reading homework done before listening to the great panelists.

Here's hoping that there is again a large South Florida contingent. :sharebeer
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We have a few people who signed up but didn't pay. Remember, you're not registered until you've paid. Once we reach capacity, it will be too late for you to pay and you'll be shut out.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

The Wizard wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am Can't make it this year.
The rest of you have a good time with it...
Sorry you won´t be there this year. I went in 2015 and 2016, but decided to sit out a couple years to let others attend in 2017 and 2018. Glad that I did, since I already had the very special privilege of meeting and hearing Jack Bogle in person. Happy to back again this year.

Thanks to all the volunteers who make this work. I hope to find a way to contribute as a volunteer this year.
brainstorming

Post by brainstorming »

Made all necessary reservations including renting an SUV for 10/15 - 10/20. Looking forward to meeting everyone and maybe connecting with some experienced "Boglehead Philly guides" to show me the best sites. See ya there. Cheers!
Old Blue Chair

Post by Old Blue Chair »

My wife and I are attending our first Boglehead Conference. We are very Excited!
Last edited by Old Blue Chair on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

keith1660 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm Made all necessary reservations including renting an SUV for 10/15 - 10/20. Looking forward to meeting everyone and maybe connecting with some experienced "Boglehead Philly guides" to show me the best sites. See ya there. Cheers!
Plenty of Philly Bogleheads to offer suggestions. If you're a history buff, you'll have more than enough to see and do (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin's grave and so much more) right in the heart of the City.

And be sure to run up the steps at the Art Museum that "Rocky" made famous in his movies.

In suburban Philly, don't miss the Valley Forge Historic Park where George Washington and his troops spent a miserable winter. There's also Brandywine Battlefield and Longwood Gardens to name just a few.

See you in Philly in October.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in October.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

+1 on Longwood Gardens. My wife took them in last year while we were in town; I think she may just hitch a ride with me this year back to Philly for the sole reason of going back to them.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post from a member offering to AirBnB his apartment for the conference and make few bucks profit.

That's not against the conference rules, but it is against the forum rules. See: No Solicitation
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wovenhearts

Post by wovenhearts »

Looking forward to our first conference! We are from the Seattle area - was wondering how easy it is to visit the sites without a car - or is it important to rent a car? Would love to see Liberty Bell and a few sites. Arriving Wednesday evening by air and thinking of leaving by train Saturday mid-afternoon.

Thanks for your help.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Wovenhearts, you will probably want a rental car to make best use of your time. I sent you a PM
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Thanks Mel for organizing! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again this year!
Trapper
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in October.

And for those who don't know, LadyGeek will be doing her very popular Wiki demonstration during the book signing session.
SGM

Post by SGM »

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney quote reminds me of the inner glow of Jack Bogle... Let the light that shines in you be brighter than the light that shines on you.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm I removed an off-topic post from a member offering to AirBnB his apartment for the conference and make few bucks profit.

That's not against the conference rules, but it is against the forum rules. See: No Solicitation
Thanks, LG.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ABQ4804 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm Wovenhearts, you will probably want a rental car to make best use of your time. I sent you a PM
Agree that you'll want a car to get around. Some of those neat places mentioned are in the suburbs.
IHateCasinos

Post by IHateCasinos »

Looking forward to it.
I am SUPER Excited to finally get a chance to go!! :) and meet all the peeps! what great timing! thanks!
IHateCasinos
wovenhearts

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS OPEN ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by wovenhearts »

I'm being adventurous. Found a B&B in the heart of the old city to stay in Friday & Saturday night after the conference. It is within walking distance of many historic sites (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc). We've never toured these sites, so don't think we need a car. I'm told we can take a subway to a block from the B&B. We leave Philly by Amtrak on Sunday, so that is an easy subway ride.

And I believe we can get from the airport to the Conference by train on Wednesday evening when we arrive. Still checking out schedules.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. I learned so much from this site when we realized 10 years ago that we didn't have a good plan for investing. After reading a few books, and lots of blog posts, we put our money in Vanguard and never looked back. It was a great decision. I really appreciate all the help and advice that people give on this site.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

IHateCasinos wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Looking forward to it.
I am SUPER Excited to finally get a chance to go!! :) and meet all the peeps! what great timing! thanks!
IHateCasinos
No casinos at the Conference! :-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:03 am
It says, "on October 3 - 5, 2018." Those are the dates from last year. Presumably someone forgot to update for 2019. Anyway, I'm in.
They didn't forget, as I had notified them of the discrepancy. There were some problems and they decided to leave the 2018 site link alone. In any case, I'll see you in October.

Attendees can ask questions in this thread: What to see in Philly?
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I had wanted to go for the first time this year but unfortunately I can’t make these dates work (actually at another conference). Anyway hope you all have a great time and hope to see you in 2020.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:03 am
They didn't forget, as I had notified them of the discrepancy. There were some problems and they decided to leave the 2018 site link alone. In any case, I'll see you in October.

Attendees can ask questions in this thread: What to see in Philly?
We can't find out where that PayPal link came from or how to get rid of it. We also can't figure out how PayPal ended up with a misspelled "Bogleheads" (Boggleheads). Gremlins at work!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FINAL WARNING TO THOSE WHO SIGNED UP BUT DIDN'T PAY YET

You're not registered until you've paid. Were approaching a sellout of folks who've paid, so those of you who signed up and didn't pay yet will not be able to get a spot once we shut the registration down.

Pay up now or get shut out; it's that simple. Don't say you weren't warned.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:07 pmThey didn't forget, as I had notified them of the discrepancy. There were some problems and they decided to leave the 2018 site link alone. In any case, I'll see you in October.
Looking forward to seeing all y'alls.
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pmWe can't find out where that PayPal link came from or how to get rid of it. We also can't figure out how PayPal ended up with a misspelled "Bogleheads" (Boggleheads).
Boggles the mind, eh? ;)
Gremlins at work!
Gremlins or not, kudos for implementing online payments and hotel reservations. Makes it much faster and easier to register (especially for those of us outside the US.)

Thanks!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

wovenhearts wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm I'm being adventurous. Found a B&B in the heart of the old city to stay in Friday & Saturday night after the conference. It is within walking distance of many historic sites (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc). We've never toured these sites, so don't think we need a car. I'm told we can take a subway to a block from the B&B. We leave Philly by Amtrak on Sunday, so that is an easy subway ride.

And I believe we can get from the airport to the Conference by train on Wednesday evening when we arrive. Still checking out schedules.
As someone who absolutely hates to drive while traveling (unfamiliar roads, dealing with challenges of parking, hassles of allowing time to pick up and return rental cars, etc.) and avoids it whenever possible, I think your plan is awesome and very doable.

I have attended two Bogleheads conferences without a car and yes it was completely doable on public transit. SEPTA rapid transit commuter trains and subways are awesome. I expect that will be the case again this year. I absolutely would not be attending if a rental car were necessary. Once again this year, my BH conference travel plans involve no rental cars, just Amtrak and SEPTA. (Happy that I will be getting senior discounts on both of those this year, now that I am over 65! Seniors get 50% off on SEPTA and 10% off on Amtrak.)

I have stayed in downtown Philly in the past (same area as where you plan to stay after the conference) and found there was so much to do within easy walking distance, way more than enough to fill up a weekend with great experiences and memories.

I am very familiar with the area in general as I attended college in Jack Bogle´s hometown over four decades ago. I got around very well on SEPTA and on foot back then and plan to do the same now.

Yes, as others have mentioned above, there are some historic sites out in the burbs that you need a car to access, but it would take weeks to do justice to everything in the region, and there is so much right in the heart of the city itself that if you have only a few days in the area, there is absolutely no need for a rental car to have a great experience. If you are traveling by Amtrak and want to visit historic sites in the city, a rental car is just an expensive nuisance to deal with.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am
jwillis77373 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 am

And, yes, both Rick Ferri and Christine Benz will be attending again this year.

See you in Philly in October!

Mel
Any chance that Jason Zweig will be able to attend this year? My one big regret about not signing up last year was missing the chance to meet him. I am a huge fan, as was my late husband.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WAIT LIST AVAILABLE.

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We're sold out and registration is closed.

If you would like to put your name on the wait list in case of cancellations, feel free to indicate your desire to be put on the wait list by stating so below.