What websites do you use for the latest investing news?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mugz

What websites do you use for the latest investing news?

Post by Mugz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 am

I like to keep up with the most recent investing news throughout the day and use marketwatch, bloomberg new and reuters. What sites do you prefer to monitor throughout the day for financial news?

I have been watching stocktwits some lately however it doesn't offer much with respect to good advice.

mega317

Re: What websites do you use for the latest investing news?

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am

Welcome to the forum.

Develop a plan and stick to it. The daily news is just noise with nothing actionable. If there was advice that consistently beat the average, it would quickly become the average.

Topic Author
Mugz

Post by Mugz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am

mega317 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am
Welcome to the forum.

Develop a plan and stick to it. The daily news is just noise with nothing actionable. If there was advice that consistently beat the average, it would quickly become the average.
Yes I agree. Its more for entertainment. I like reading the latest news and articles.

nyanchu021

Post by nyanchu021 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am

Well , I always see cnbc & investing.com( through iphone app)

I read latest investing news only for my interest and I'll try to avoid emotional
trading by the news.

I think just reading investing news is only waste of time, and in some cases
worsen my portfolio performance. so I try not to affect my buying decision by sudden
news. I enjoy reading just for my interest!
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.(Santayana) I'm Japanese living in TOKYO.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 am

As others have indicated, the daily "business news," really is NOT news-----it is "business entertainment." One should operate accordingly.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 am

I use Bogleheads.

jcar

Post by jcar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am

So much of the so called investing news is just hype being engendered by press releases being sent out by companies and brokerages to news outlets. This makes the news organizations job much easier. I used to see this in my job prior to retirement. I would treat the "news" as entertainment only.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

Some of us are still learning and gain significantly from daily news. A new term may be mentioned that leads to new knowledge, it is a quick way to get a read on different sectors and their performance, and, perhaps most importantly, it does suggest what is driving the market up or down at that particular time which aids in staying the course or evaluating what may be a changing risk tolerance. Morningstar is one web site followed, CNBC, Money magazine which gives performance of many Vanguard funds (among others) that is of interest. There is more to learn from daily news than that it is simply marketing, noise or generally useless for those of us who are not as sophisticated in our knowledge as some others.
Tim
Last edited by Nowizard on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

Whenever I start regularly reading investment and market news I develop an unhealthy urge to mess with my portfolio.

I do subscribe to Matt Levine's newsletter on Bloomberg, but that's mostly because he's a hilarious writer. He's quite good at explaining various Wall Street hijinks in an understandable and funny manner. I'll also read the business and finance sections of The Economist.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 am

I like how the headline writers are never surprised. "Stocks surge on jobs report" or "Wall Street cautious on oil worries". Never "stocks advance DESPITE something".

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 am

This website is the primary source for me. Posted external links people find are frequently good.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 am

Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, and Bogleheads.

DatWayMon

Post by DatWayMon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:34 am

Bogleheads.org and Vanguard. The former to cut through the noise and the latter to make sure my weekly investments are being credited and allocated correctly.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I don't -- unless I happen to see it with the other news. Even then, I don't pay attention, since my strategy/tactics/plan and AA won't change.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

asif408

Post by asif408 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am
Some of us are still learning and gain significantly from daily news. A new term may be mentioned that leads to new knowledge, it is a quick way to get a read on different sectors and their performance, and, perhaps most importantly, it does suggest what is driving the market up or down at that particular time which aids in staying the course or evaluating what may be a changing risk tolerance. Morningstar is one web site followed, CNBC, Money magazine which gives performance of many Vanguard funds (among others) that is of interest. There is more to learn from daily news than that it is simply marketing, noise or generally useless for those of us who are not as sophisticated in our knowledge as some others.
Tim
My suggestion if you are still learning is to go through the suggested reading list and read some of the books (or re-read them if you have already read them): https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews. The historical ones, such as Devil Take the Hindmost, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, and Four Pillars of Investing are my personal favorites that I re-read often, because I don't think you can ever learn too much about financial history and the psychology of investing.

The suggested reading gives a beginner to intermediate investor the historical and psychological understanding to weather the most emotionally challenging aspects of investing. Because once you learn the basics of developing an investment approach that is widely diversified and avoids excessive fees, it's sticking with that strategy and rebalancing occasionally that is the most difficult part. And reading the daily news makes that much more difficult. It took me less than 6 months to get a low cost, widely diversified portfolio set up. But it took me a good 5 years to get the hang of the psychological aspects of investing, and I'm still not sure I've mastered them all.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm

I sometimes switch to one of business channels at 4 pm to see how the market performed that day. Daily market moves don’t influence my investment decisions. I like to compare the yields on treasuries to the yields on CDs of similar duration.

DMW

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Mugz wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 am
I like to keep up with the most recent investing news throughout the day and use marketwatch, bloomberg new and reuters. What sites do you prefer to monitor throughout the day for financial news?

I have been watching stocktwits some lately however it doesn't offer much with respect to good advice.
It depends on what you want from daily investing news and your previous posts suggest you are interested in picking individual stocks. As you can see from the posts here, you're on a forum that advocates mainly low-cost index funds for the long run, keeping it simple, diversifying, and allocating based on ability, willingness, and need to take risk.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Mofritty

Post by Mofritty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

“The latest investing news“. Is there any? I remember when “breaking news” was a real thing. Now it’s an everyday occurrence. Everything is breaking news. Which means nothing is. I think a lot of investing news is the same. I realize that commentary doesn’t answer the question. So if I had to have a latest investing news site it would be the collective crowdsourced information from this site. Otherwise, I mostly don’t care. I’m much more into investing than investing news.

vu8

Post by vu8 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

I don't watch the scammy news WSJ and Bloomberg pushes out everyday, prompting people to panic buy and panic sell single stocks, gambling with futures and options, and sell stocks and buy commodities in a stock market correction... Stop paying and reading these terrible news sources that destroys your judgment.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Tim
I have found if you follow market news daily, before too long you will see "Market awaits XYZ report" before the market opens, "Market sinks on XYZ report" in the morning, followed by "Market rises on XYZ report" in the afternoon. You'll see a Google News headline "S&P plummets" right next to data showing the S&P being up on the day (or vice versa). Some news breaks that makes the market react violently - and the next day it returns to where it was previously - so did the news really matter? Maybe for one day, meaning it didn't matter at all. Then you come to realize nobody knows nothing, and it's simply that there are people out there in dreary jobs who have to churn out headlines and market briefs all day long.

I can see value in reading such stuff to learn terminology, but with the understanding there's nothing actionable there for a stay-the-course investor. I would suspect it could actually be harmful to keep looking at performance data if it would make one more likely to jump in and out of sectors and funds. Data shows the average investor's market returns over time are far below the actual market's performance, due to jumping in and out of things with terrible timing.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Mugz wrote:
I like to keep up with the most recent investing news throughout the day
Why?
it doesn't offer much with respect to good advice
There is no good investing information available on TV unfortunately. Just the way it is. The useful stuff usually finds its way here to be honest, and even that is few and far between.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:59 pm

asif408 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm
My suggestion if you are still learning is to go through the suggested reading list and read some of the books (or re-read them if you have already read them): https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews.
The suggested reading gives a beginner to intermediate investor the historical and psychological understanding to weather the most emotionally challenging aspects of investing. Because once you learn the basics of developing an investment approach that is widely diversified and avoids excessive fees, it's sticking with that strategy and rebalancing occasionally that is the most difficult part. And reading the daily news makes that much more difficult. It took me less than 6 months to get a low cost, widely diversified portfolio set up. But it took me a good 5 years to get the hang of the psychological aspects of investing, and I'm still not sure I've mastered them all.
Good points. Those psychological aspects of investing are the "not easy" part of Warren Buffett's famous quote: "Investing is simple, but it's not easy."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Last year, someone recommended Schwab Market Update. SMU reports market status 4 times a day. It's (mostly) just the facts, and quite satisfying. Many thanks to the person who recommended it originally! :beer

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 pm

It’s all sound and fury signifying nothing. Far better to shut out all daily so called business news and spend a quiet hour or so in evening reading one of the investment books referenced on this site. Or even better a leisurely reading of War and Peace. I do read WSJ and NYT daily but for macroeconomic news. No TV news, no radio news, and of course no internet business news. And cancelled all business magazine subscriptions. All noise and click bait. Except this site. Also makes life less stressful. And allows time for me to check the honeybee hives. Good luck.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 am

Some of us do enjoy what the OP suggests and integrate website news/information with more analytical aspects of investing. Personally, the psychological aspects of investing are quite interesting, and web sites are filled with those psychological opinions. The opposing feeling for those of us who engage in this aspect of investing/learning may be that there are at least an equal number of people who enjoy delving into very minute aspects of fund analysis, portfolio configuration, etc. that has very little to do with actual performance since "Nobody knows nothing" about the market. The two aspects do not have to conflict, and there are those among us who enjoy perusing web sites who also have done fine with investing over periods of time. This is not meant to be defensive, just to point out that this is one area where the complexity of investing is revealed in terms of standard recommendations. Yes, "Ignore the noise" is a wise suggestion, but "Evaluate in the context of your own needs" is an appropriate counterpoint.

Tim

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 am
I use Bogleheads.
+1

Beliavsky

Post by Beliavsky » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 am

This article is from a few years ago, but many of the sites mentioned still exist.

How to Read Financial News: Tips from Portfolio Managers
By Robert J. Martorana, CFA
Enterprising Investor (CFA Institute blog)
August 9, 2016

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 am

Mugz wrote:

I don't watch investing news, it's basically useless and a waste of time.

I look at Morningstar and Bogleheads, but not for "news"
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 am

The most I ever do is Google the S&P 500 or Dow roughly once a week or so. I tried listening to Bloomberg radio for a while, but found it annoying and of little to no value.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 am

MJS wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm
Last year, someone recommended Schwab Market Update. SMU reports market status 4 times a day. It's (mostly) just the facts, and quite satisfying. Many thanks to the person who recommended it originally! :beer
Thanks for the link!

Beliavsky

Post by Beliavsky » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 am

Many Bogleheads have said that following investment news is of zero or negative value. I wonder what the results would be if you chose Fidelity brokerage customers at random and gave half of them 1-year online subscriptions to the Wall Street Journal or Barron's. How would the performance of their portfolios compare to the control group? Maybe the most positive effect would be increased contributions to retirement and college savings accounts, since the WSJ and Barron's do carry personal finance articles on such topics.

When my kids are grown I may gift them online WSJ subscriptions.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am

I personally enjoy the pimco insights and blogs. I find the fixed income side more interesting to learn about and keep up to date with.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am

I use the U.S. stocks in free fall thread. If that thread jumps to the top, I know stocks are down.

Otherwise, I don’t find it useful to pay much attention. I don’t have a clue where the S&P 500 is right now. All I know is that my accounts were doing fine the last time I checked, so the market must be up.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 am

Over the years I learned that news just cluttered my thoughts. I never acted on any of it, and it took time and energy away from useful stuff. I tuned out many years ago. I've found that I'm much happier thinking for myself as opposed to having others think for me. I'd be dishonest if I didn't give credit to my son and daughter for leading by example. Thanks kids!
“To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.” Confucius

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:53 am

Bogleheads, Vanguard Market Summary & to some degree Twitter. Twitter to find out what happened when major swings occur. Actual investing news has zero effect on my strategy - automatic investing weekly into small cap & total stock.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:45 am

I don't look for the latest investing news, throughout the day or otherwise, but I'm interested in economics. I primarily read Reuters for breaking economic news, then if my curiosity is piqued enough a few days later I look for somebody's analysis of it, which could be from Reuters. Frequently I disagree, but I'm not afraid of reading things I might disagree with, and when it happens it's a good mental exercise to work out precisely why I disagree. Sometimes I end up changing my mind.
PJW

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:28 pm

If I want entertainment I checkout TMZ. For actionable financial info I believe Bogleheads is number one.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:39 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Whenever I start regularly reading investment and market news I develop an unhealthy urge to mess with my portfolio.
I do subscribe to Matt Levine's newsletter on Bloomberg, but that's mostly because he's a hilarious writer. He's quite good at explaining various Wall Street hijinks in an understandable and funny manner. I'll also read the business and finance sections of The Economist.
Matt Levine is hilarious, and often teaches me something.

If I’m driving in my car early in the morning, I listen to Bloomberg Surveillance. It is informative and occasionally over my head (Fed, FX, etc). I do not listen to Bloomberg stock pundits (Dave Wilson, et al).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

josehde

Post by josehde » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm

KSOC wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:53 am
Bogleheads, Vanguard Market Summary & to some degree Twitter. Twitter to find out what happened when major swings occur. Actual investing news has zero effect on my strategy - automatic investing weekly into small cap & total stock.
+1 on Twitter, although I have to look past many tweets that aren't helpful/related to what I'm looking for.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm

I've been a happier, more content person since I stopped keeping up with the news in general. There's virtually nothing I can do in response to it, so there's no added value in constantly being bombarded with bad news.

Regularly watching the 'financial' news will convince all but the most stalwart souls that it should be easy to beat the market and that the stock market is just about to plunge all the time.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

ankonaman

Post by ankonaman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 pm

I will listen on the radio to some investment pundits for entertainment. If you listen to them long enough you will see a pattern emerge. They are all over the place. For example when a stock is in decline "they told you to sell and not buy". Then when it's up they recommend buying and keep touting how it was one of their recommendations. Bottom line is you follow their investment schizophrenia you will go broke. Good for a laugh and not much more IMHO. Get your asset allocation in place and enjoy the peace of mind that you are not on the investment guru advice roller coaster.

ankonaman

Post by ankonaman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:26 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm
I've been a happier, more content person since I stopped keeping up with the news in general. There's virtually nothing I can do in response to it, so there's no added value in constantly being bombarded with bad news.
Exactly turn off the noise and enjoy life. TV in general these days is nothing but a litany of doom and gloom. The news is bad enough but when you also get bombarded to an endless parade of lawyer, drug, and the disease dujour commercials you will soon need the newest psychotropic medication they are running across your TV screen. Go outside and listen to the birds singing.

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:14 am

Bogleheads.org. I have the finest research team in the world.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | There are many roads to doublin'. | Original Vanguard Diehard

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 am

Mugz wrote:
I actively avoid market news sites since taking in this type of communication is detrimental to my net worth.
Taking "risk" since 1995.

zeal

Post by zeal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 am

Any "news" is typically brought up by someone in the Bogleheads forum's active topics. I can then form my own opinions, view intense debates from the community on the credibility of the news, or if I want to learn something new about the topic, someone generally links some great information.

If I am curious to learn more or I hear new terminology, I generally go here and can find the answers I ultimately need. Simplicity is key for maintaining sanity.

Also, I stay up to date in the investing world by listening to Rick Ferri's Bogleheads on Investing podcasts, found on your podcast app or this link.

Once in a blue moon I'll listen to a Dave Ramsey podcast (and fast forward through all the commercials). I like to hear a sob story or two so I never forget where I came from and always remember to appreciate all we have now. I also like to hear some debt free screams and see how crazy someone went to get out of debt--some inspiring stories about setting goals and exceeding them.

I must admit, even before joining Bogleheads, I have always been the one who "lives under a rock." I avoid all news like the plague, not just financial news. I log in to Facebook once per year to thank people for wishing me a happy birthday and reconnect with any old friends whose phone numbers I've lost.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:42 am

4th and Inches wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 am
This website is the primary source for me. Posted external links people find are frequently good.
+1 Although I subscribe to & follow the 3 fund portfolio, I am always seeking to gain more understanding of the financial world. Bogleheads postings & wiki contains a wealth of information & educates without the distracting noise.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Epictecus

Greg in Idaho

Post by Greg in Idaho » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 am

Yep, news is noise...but I have found that checking the WSJ regularly for financial headlines and market numbers has been an excellent and rather stark ongoing reminder of the truth of the BH motto 'nobody knows nothin'

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 am

Morningstar
Bogleheads
Otherwise, not much on the latest news, or news discussions of news discussions of . . . of any type beyond skimming broadly.
"Avoid Noise" = less stress = stay the course.

I very much appreciate the wealth of quality links posted by others on this forum in the threads.
j

Spinola

Post by Spinola » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:05 pm

I get all my financial news from the onion. It is just as actionable and useful as most other sources but far more entertaining.. 8-)

https://www.theonion.com/tag/finance
Last edited by Spinola on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm

mega317 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 am
I like how the headline writers are never surprised. "Stocks surge on jobs report" or "Wall Street cautious on oil worries". Never "stocks advance DESPITE something".
I'm still waiting for the headline "Stock surge and we have no idea why, and we have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow!"

I get financial news from Yahoo! and my financial analysis from Bogleheads. I pay a bit of attention to the market just to know when it is time to check if I've hit my rebalancing bands, but otherwise breathless headlines don't cause me to adjust my investments.