Did you get spooked by the December 2018 fall and gave up on passive?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Wricha

Re: Did you get spooked by the December 2018 fall and gave up on passive?

Post by Wricha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Not as smart as the rebalancing folks in December. Although, I did sell $100k worth of loses and bought an ETF that moved up with the market locking in my short term loss. I guess I am a market timer now.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 pm

I was 90/10 in 2008. Ditto for 2011, 2015, 2016, and 2018. I will be adding bonds this year - not because I'm spooked, but because I'm getting older and plan on gradually shifting my AA over the next 25 years.

The only thing I've been questioning is whether to hold on 60/40 US:International, but figured I'd give it another 3 years to see how things shake out. Even if I did change, the lowest I'd ever go is 25% international (and more likely 30%), so all I'd really have to do is stand still and not rebalance. If the US continues to beat international, I all I need to do is wait. If international outpaces the US, then my doubts about my AA will likely ease.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Nah. Even the question is kind of ridiculous!

I watch the market. I donated some $32K when the market was high in October to the DAF to lower 2019 taxes. Then as the market dipped a bit in December, I kept up the usual buying. No changes. I like my AA,

I sleep well at night like other Bogleheads.
Here's to rational behavior! :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
Here's to the reward for rational behavior! :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 pm

revhappy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm
The December plunge was brutal and to rub salt on injury, lots of experts said cash is an asset class that will now compete with equities. So now that the markets have reverted back to their early December 2018 levels, are you feeling like getting into cash, or have already gotten into cash?

Just want to know how many people are feeling like me. I sold a chunk of my equities last week and now I am down to 33% equities from 50% equities.
I was annoyed because I had to withdraw some money at the end of December for upcoming tuition bills, and felt like I was doing it at a "bad" time. However I never considered going to cash or becoming more conservative with my investments.

clown

Post by clown » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 pm

With all due respect, I would recommend that OP needs to go back and learn a LOT more about market history. Also he would be well advised to learn about reversion to the mean. Finally, I would suggest hunting to find a chart that shows the top performing asset class for each of the last 50 or so years. I've seen such a chart but cannot remember where. The point is that the top performer is different almost every year. PS - If the market goes down 1000 points and you own 100 shares of XYZ company, you still own the 100 shares and there was no change. Don't panic.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 am

My dad's Trust Account, to which I am the trustee, was removed from an Advisor Mgmt in October. I took advantage of the Dec drop to sell everything while booking only a $1500 Cap Gain instead of $20,000 if there had been no December Dip. I then bought index funds.

I did this to get away from all the routine account buys/sells and Mutual Fund Cap Gains that were getting booked that we having to pay taxes on each year. I have not yet reconciled 2018, however in 2017 there were $18000 of Mutual Fund Cap Gains and Trading Gains resulting in $5000 of taxes on top of the $5000 Advisor Fee. The adding of extra tax on top of the fee was causing a drag of 2.7% that will be avoided as we go into 2019. Eventually the whole account will get a step-up basis, so current year income and it's taxes is really undesirable.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:20 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 pm
I gave up long ago on predicting the future.
retire2022 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 pm
no I was not worried, as of tonight I'm approx 40K from all time high August 27, 2019.
You two need to talk.😊

Getting back to the topic at hand, during my investing career I've survived Black Monday, the Dot-com bubble, and Financial crisis of 2007–2008 to name a few.

December 2018 was to me just the market behaving like the market can and does behave. I just stuck to what my investment policy statement dictated. No rebalancing bands were hit so to the best of my recollection I did nothing.

Since the OP is relatively new here, they might want to read A time to EVALUATE your jitters which is one of the better posts on subject of dealing with market movements.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 am

I literally didn't know what occurred until a couple days later. The holidays keep me too preoccupied. Since I DCA hoping there'll be plenty market swings for the next 10 years.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:22 am

The only thing I did was Tax Loss Harvest a recently-purchased ETF and rebalanced to my usual 30/70 allocation.

Outside of that, nothing was bought or sold. Only now I have $30k in stock losses to use, so good for me. My advice to people who get jittery when the market declines is ... don't look at the market. You'll be a FAR more successful investor that way.

jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 am

Nope. Luckily, I had CD's worth 100k that matured end of December that I was going to put in my taxable anyway. So, I lump summed it all in according to my asset allocation.

EnjoyTheJourney

Post by EnjoyTheJourney » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:58 am

I had an interesting and educational experience this past October - December.

I went through 2000 and 2008-9 with 100% equities without losing any sleep. In fact, I upped my deferred tax contributions by over 50% as a % of wages in 2007 and viewed the financial crisis as a buying opportunity. But, that now I'm quite close to retirement I was more engaged with managing our portfolio and had been reading about bond tents, glide paths, that kind of thing. Over the last couple of years I shifted from 100% S&P to about 25% bonds, 75% equities, with equities split about equally between US and non-US. When December rolled around my anxiety level started to peak and for the first time ever I lost some sleep over the course of a few days because of anxiety about portfolio performance; I worried that our portfolio could become so damaged that retirement plans would be jeopardized if we had another complete market meltdown. So, in order to sleep better and before our plans seemed to be truly in jeopardy I shifted some equity into a TIPS ETF to bring it closer to a 50/50 equities / bonds split.

Because of the October - December equities drop our total portfolio balance went down year-on-year for the first time since the global financial crisis. But, new contributions, dividends, and interest payments received still kept the total dollar size of that loss small overall. Plus, with new contributions and automatic reinvestment still in place (we're still in accumulation mode) we still have a larger number of securities than before the recent market dip. That gives us more upside, thinking longer term.

The lesson I took away from my experience is that my risk tolerance shifted once I became more engaged with managing our asset allocation and as retirement neared. It's a rather pedestrian observation, having written it onto the screen. But, I had always thought of myself as very comfortable with high levels of risk before last December.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 am

Tax loss harvested and bought more equities on 12/24. No one can successfully time the market. BTW, we still have not recouped from the highs of September 20, 2018.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 am

I retired last year and getting better at not watching the news. At all. And, we are in "won the game" mode and "keep it simple" mode. So, December...what, me worry? Or even know about? Still totally passive, VG target income fund (VTINX) mostly.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 am

The short answer. As long as the world population increases, then more people needing more goods/services supplied by businesses, should cause the world market to continue to rise over the long run. The short run is noise and to be ignored, but it may provide a buying/TLHing opportunity.

This implies we should have a long-term investing plan and follow it.
--Don't invest money you can't afford to lose.
--When stocks are up, it may be a buying/rebalancing (TLHing maybe) opportunity for bonds.
--When stocks are down, it may be a buying/rebalancing/TLHing opportunity for stocks.

The long answer. In Nov-Dec I was TLHing munis and had some cash ready to re-invest, in munis I thought. But the market had been going lower for several weeks and VTSAX's ex-dividend date (24 Dec) was approaching. My buying either munis or VTSAX would not have triggered a rebalance band. What to do?

I decided to buy VTSAX on it's ex-dividend date. And did.

I documented my thoughts (17 Nov and 27 Dec posts) at the time.
See: viewtopic.php?p=4283720#p4283720

Then the market rebounded. A blind squirrel....

The market could have continued downward. In which case the stock buying opportunity would have continued when I next rebalanced.

I'm not investing money I can't afford to lose, so I SWAN and rebalance each month into what the market says is currently cheapest (= most under it's desired AA).
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Misciagno

Post by Misciagno » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:18 am

I rebalance quarterly, so I bought a lot of equities on Jan 2 out of my bond fund, and did some respectable TLH prior to the end of 2018. The markets haven't fully "recovered" yet, but I am still way ahead of where I ever was. Be greedy when others are fearful, and vice versa. (Benjamin Graham?)
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 am

December wasn't brutal.. It was a down month though. I didn't change anything. I followed my investment policy statement which required me to sell bonds and buy stocks. I am enjoying the fruits of that now as equities climb. Best wishes,

student

Post by student » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:42 am

No. I did not. I only did TLH.

ivk5

Post by ivk5 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 am

clown wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 pm
Finally, I would suggest hunting to find a chart that shows the top performing asset class for each of the last 50 or so years. I've seen such a chart but cannot remember where. The point is that the top performer is different almost every year.
Think you mean Callan’s periodic table, linked toward top of thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=273048#p4383864

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 am

Why would you be surprised that the stock market fluctuates? This fact is on par with weather variations in New England.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:20 am

I think a lot of people got lucky (like me) because they TLH’d towards the bottom of the dip in December and put their backdoor Roth funds in at the beginning of the calendar year. The jump in returns is just a blip over time and could have just as easily been a loss, but it still feels good :beer

It is nice when the people “getting spooked” give the folks who are “staying the course” a bump in returns, even if for a moment.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:33 am

Strayshot wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:20 am
I think a lot of people got lucky (like me) because they TLH’d towards the bottom of the dip in December ....
It would be extremely rare to TLH at an all-time market high. For all practical purposes, TLHing occurs near the intermediate-term bottoms, by definition.

Note how careful I was with my English. I did NOT state that TLHing only occurs at intermediate-term bottoms.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 am

I was 90/10 and only once did I think, "Do I wish I had more bonds?" I realized I didn't. When I rolled over a 401K last month, I didn't purchase any bonds, so now I'm about 95/5. It was just a very mild test of my risk tolerance. I'll want more bonds someday but that day isn't today.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 am

CABob wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 pm
No I didn't make any changes, but I find it interesting that cash was the top performing segment for the year.
Callan Table
It's interesting that cash went from worst to best and emerging markets went from best to worst from 2017-2018. It's a testament to the inability to predict the markets.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am

Not at all as that fall was negligible. 2007-08 was bad. 1930s? that was brutal. If I was invested in that Depression. I would have been so depressed, i would have probably not been invested any longer. (In that latter, my father lost everything....house and everything else and went to prison because he stole $5 from someone's US Mail to feed us and help pay for the basement they rented. He went to the federal prison for a year for that only infraction in his life. My mother found some very low paying store selling to feed us. When he returned, he found some work and they recovered.) Now THAT was brutal.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:17 am

December caused some stress but we bought, not sold.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:19 am

livesoft wrote:
I take a view completely contrary to yours. December was totally fantastic for investors who could rebalance into the teeth of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Yours truly, made a bunch of money by exchanging bond fund assets into equity fund assets. So much money, that I had to rebalance this month already back from surging equities into bonds.

Doom & Gloom Rulz!

If anything, December 2018 totally confirms and supports the idea of passive investing along with stay-the-course to follow the plan of Buy, Hold, and Rebalance.

I gave up long ago on predicting the future. But I am pretty good at observing the very recent past which is actionable.
Personally, I wish there were a bit less volatility. I was okay with the magnitude of the decline, but I really needed it to stay there for a while. Between the 30 day rule and the 60 day rule I didn't get all the TLHing in that I wanted to, much less invest a lot of money. I invested at the beginning of December and the beginning of January and missed most of the buying opportunity!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 pm
I never hit a re-balance point so did nothing.
Same.

Blip on the Christmas season radar. Too brief of a blip for me to have been able to execute some extra stocking stufffers of equities for the kid’s 529 plan.

Usually max out on my company match and 401K in early summer due to monthly variables for compemsation based upon quarterly bonuses (percentage based monthly contribution). There after I contribute monthly to taxable accounts for forced saving and a means for dollar cost averaging for the entire year. By the time a realized something “spooky” had happened it was already the New Years and first of monthly automatic contributions kicked in again.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am

I’m 100 percent passive with a 60/40/0 allocation. I made no changes in December 2018, and I’ve made no changes in 2019, nor do I plan to make any changes. My investment plan assumes that the stock market will go up and down, so I was not surprised when it did.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:20 am
livesoft wrote:
I gave up long ago on predicting the future.
retire2022 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 pm
no I was not worried, as of tonight I'm approx 40K from all time high August 27, 20192018 typo.
You two need to talk.😊

Getting back to the topic at hand, during my investing career I've survived Black Monday, the Dot-com bubble, and Financial crisis of 2007–2008 to name a few.

December 2018 was to me just the market behaving like the market can and does behave. I just stuck to what my investment policy statement dictated. No rebalancing bands were hit so to the best of my recollection I did nothing.

Since the OP is relatively new here, they might want to read A time to EVALUATE your jitters which is one of the better posts on subject of dealing with market movements.
Peculiar Investor, the 2019 was a typo

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 am

retire2022 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am
the 2019 was a typo
I knew that. I just thought it was humourous to see the juxtaposition of the back to back posts. I didn't mean to offend, typos are an everyday part of the interweb.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 am
retire2022 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am
the 2019 was a typo
I knew that. I just thought it was humourous to see the juxtaposition of the back to back posts. I didn't mean to offend, typos are an everyday part of the interweb.
Peculiar not offended, glad you did not take it as such, neither did I. Have a good day!

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am

No, I did not sell stocks back in December. In fact, I didn't sell any stocks on Black Monday back in October of 1987 when the Dow lost 22.6% in one day (the stock market finished up for the year). Nor did I sell anything during the corrections of the 1990's, or 2001-2002, or 2008-2009.

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:57 am

Nope. It was a good tax loss harvesting opportunity though.

DatWayMon

Post by DatWayMon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Nope. I just saw it as a great buying opportunity and had to control myself from dumping money into VTSAX at a faster rate than is part of my investment strategy.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I rebalanced to some stock in December.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:17 pm

What happened in December? Seriously, I do my year ends late December and if necessary rebalance. I kept looking at my AA but never reached the equity lower band so didn't do anything. Only had a couple hundred in losses so wasn't worth the effort to TLH, so funded both Roths and added remainder to 1 yr CD at 2.75% which will pay off mortgage at end of 2019.

Something about staying the course but it was interesting to see our IPS guidance and overall porfolio weathered the storm quite well.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 pm

I did a little trading to exploit what I believed was a short term drawdown and it worked, but overall it had minimal impact on my life. The same would have been true if I were wrong.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:06 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:19 am
Personally, I wish there were a bit less volatility. I was okay with the magnitude of the decline, but I really needed it to stay there for a while. Between the 30 day rule and the 60 day rule I didn't get all the TLHing in that I wanted to, much less invest a lot of money. I invested at the beginning of December and the beginning of January and missed most of the buying opportunity!
Although I did not sell any shares for a loss in my taxable account in all of 2018, I would not have let any TLH, nor 30- nor 60-day rules interfere with any rebalancing that I would want to do. I had plenty of bond funds in tax-deferred and simply sold them and bought equity funds following my IPS.

In retrospect, I bought too soon, too often, and too little. But at least one of the days for buys was 12/24. :twisted:

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Seriously? You think you would have fared better with active? If your risk tolerance isn't appropriate for your current asset allocation, adjust it. It sounds like you need to assess that.

Spinola

Post by Spinola » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Not all. I stayed the course. Was rewarded for it too. Decide your risk tolerance level and AA and stick with it.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:22 pm

I've lived through a lot worse and passive just suits me. Patience is fullness. I'm only wanting good enough long term returns.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:25 pm

I didn't do anything. I just decided to finally once and for all to uninstall the Vanguard app from my phone. I was looking too much. No more.
VTWAX and chill.

Socrates

I ended up buying

Post by Socrates » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm

I had some cash and ended up buying about $20,000 worth of equities

for me it was worrisome, but I am sticking with my allocation and risk tolerance as I have time and I need risk to get better returns.

what I did realize, when I am ready to go to a safer allocation such as cash/bonds, I need at least 50-60% to feel safe for a real (more significant) down turn.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Experienced just minor heartburn in December which tells me my allocation is about right. No changes here.

Munir

Post by Munir » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 pm

I assume we have two different universes trying to find common paths and wisdom where it doesn't exist. One universe is of accumulators, let's call then the under-70 years old group. The other is retirees in a mainly distribution phase . You can even have subgroups such as investors under 40 and retirees over 80 but that gets too nitpicky. I am over 80 and find very little in common (investment-wise) with the accumulators. In summary, when I read comments of what respondents' thoughts or actions are in situations as described above, my first question would be about what age group are they in. That will put their comments in perspective.
PS: does anyone have figures or estimates of how many posters on this site are over 80?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Munir wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 pm
In summary, when I read comments of what respondents' thoughts or actions are in situations as described above, my first question would be about what age group are they in. That will put their comments in perspective.
PS: does anyone have figures or estimates of how many posters on this site are over 80?
I am in my early 60's and fully retired for several years now.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 pm

revhappy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm
The December plunge was brutal and to rub salt on injury, lots of experts said cash is an asset class that will now compete with equities. So now that the markets have reverted back to their early December 2018 levels, are you feeling like getting into cash, or have already gotten into cash?

Just want to know how many people are feeling like me. I sold a chunk of my equities last week and now I am down to 33% equities from 50% equities.
Where have you been in 1998 Asian market crash, 2000 Dot Com bubble, and 2008 Financial Crisis?

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Munir wrote:
I assume we have two different universes trying to find common paths and wisdom where it doesn't exist. One universe is of accumulators, let's call then the under-70 years old group. The other is retirees in a mainly distribution phase . You can even have subgroups such as investors under 40 and retirees over 80 but that gets too nitpicky. I am over 80 and find very little in common (investment-wise) with the accumulators. In summary, when I read comments of what respondents' thoughts or actions are in situations as described above, my first question would be about what age group are they in. That will put their comments in perspective.
"No, I did not sell stocks back in December. In fact, I didn't sell any stocks on Black Monday back in October of 1987 when the Dow lost 22.6% in one day (the stock market finished up for the year). Nor did I sell anything during the corrections of the 1990's, or 2001-2002, or 2008-2009."

I'll be turning 74 in a few weeks. I retired in January of 2001 (early retirement package).

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Munir wrote:
I'm 58 still working, people should not only seek downward motions as a buying opportunity, they should include Traditional IRAs, 401, 403b & 457b as Roth conversion opportunities esp younger folks who have this, otherwise the traditional will box them in at a higher tax rate at 70.5 RMD.

I'm in this boat.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pm

No, we did not.