Foresight question: did YOU make a killing on NECCO Sweethearts candy?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Foresight question: did YOU make a killing on NECCO Sweethearts candy?

Post by nisiprius »

There's a more-than-half-serious point here.

The New England Confectionary Company, NECCO, founded in 1901 by the merger of even older companies. When I was attending MIT in the 1960s, they had a factory a few blocks away and you could often smell the chocolate.

As you probably know, they are most famous for NECCO wafers, the mysteriously awful-yet-wonderful flat, dry, chalky, fragile, thin disks, with pastel colors and faint flavors--strong enough to make them taste different from each other, but not strong enough to identify if you didn't know what they were supposed to be.

They were also the dominant maker of "Sweethearts:"

They collapsed so suddenly that no other candy maker--even ones like Brach's, that actually make their own "conversation hearts"--was ready to gear up in time for Valentine's day.

(In what is surely karma--but good or bad I cannot tell--GE has abandoned its plans for big new headquarters in Boston and is going to move into... old NECCO buildings!)

Anyway, here's my point. Did you see the Sweethearts shortage coming? There had even been an early warning back in April, 2018, when it was reported that manufacture of NECCO wafers had stopped... followed by other reports--ultimately false--that NECCO had been rescued.

It seems now, in hindsight, that someone wise in the ways of balance sheets could have seen disaster ahead, early in 2018, if not before. It would have been easy to buy up Sweethearts in bulk and re-sell them for a tidy profit for Valentines' Day 2019. It wouldn't even have been necessary to do it retail in onesies and twosies. Surely, in theory, one could have found, let's say a small regional chain of some kind of store that would have been interesting in buying thousands of dollars' worth in order to have them when nobody else did. And you could have done this with only a few thousands of dollars, it wouldn't have required millions.

So, I repeat--did you see it coming? I mean, strongly enough to act on, put real money behind it? Not the usual boring thing where you merely think "wow, maybe I should max out my credit card and really do it" and, at the same time, "nah, that would be dumb"--and a year later only remember the "right" thought and forget the "wrong" one.

The other side of the coin, equally important is: if you really had decided to make a serious bulk purchase of Sweethearts in early 2018... how many other candies are sitting in your garage, that you bought on speculation of a shortage, that have not gone up in price?

It is not trivially easy to spot "great buying opportunities" (except in hindsight).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Stinky

Re: Foresight question: did YOU make a killing on NECCO Sweethearts candy?

Post by Stinky »

Darn it! Missed another "gift horse" buying opportunity!

As for me, I'm "long" Kit-Kats. I have boxes and boxes stowed in my garage - just waiting for the chance to sell at a huge profit. It may be a long wait .....
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I saw it coming soon enough to buy skybars in bulk for my own consumption. I am happy to report that a small company has bought the rights to skybars and plans to make them.

I can't remember if Necco was one of those companies like Sears that was bought by a hedge fund, stripped of value and then tossed in the trash.

Sad to see this happen, anyway.
dkturner

Post by dkturner »

I loaded up on forever stamps in early January, before the 11% price increase. Anybody interested in making a bulk purchase at $.495 per stamp?
Last edited by dkturner on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dkturner

Post by dkturner »

duplicate
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

And even if someone had the predictive capability to buy up sweethearts, did they also put the logistics in place to rapidly distribute the candy and access all of the underserved markets during the 72 hours or so leading up to Valentine’s Day? Any inventory held after that day likely became a loss......
youngpleb

Post by youngpleb »

I once found a blog (forget the name) run by a woman who a couple years ago started to produce the same little candy hearts but the text was customized based on user order. IIRC she got so many orders the first Valentine’s Day that she was unable to have them all filled by the company she was using. So the next year she brought the machine needed to do it herself and I want to say she made like $70K in the span of a few months.

Haven’t checked the blog lately but I wonder if her business has been positively impacted by this!
SGM

Post by SGM »

Thanks for an update on NECCO and the factory, The aroma reminded me of eating the NECCO wafers as a child but not the Sweethearts which were sickeningly sweet. I don't consider the NECCO Sweethearts to be much of a deal. It requires purchasing, storing, delivery and marketing. There are easier ways to make a killing.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Stinky wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:07 am Darn it! Missed another "gift horse" buying opportunity!

As for me, I'm "long" Kit-Kats. I have boxes and boxes stowed in my garage - just waiting for the chance to sell at a huge profit. It may be a long wait .....
And of course in the summer the chocolate will melt :(
Hatch Batten

Post by Hatch Batten »

In my experience, candy hearts are among the first in the candy dish to go stale at room temperature, going from a brittle chalkiness to tooth-cracking firmness in a matter of months. So this might have been an exercise in food science as well as in simple logistics.

I did have a small operation with a friend that purchased cube refrigerators from outgoing students at the local college in spring and sold them to incoming students the next fall. I wouldn't say we made a killing, but we did turn a profit. Any other small-time schemers on the forum?
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Hatch Batten wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 amIn my experience, candy hearts are among the first in the candy dish to go stale at room temperature, going from a brittle chalkiness to tooth-cracking firmness in a matter of months.
But is that "going stale" or it is "aging and ripening?" Which way are they supposed to be?
youngpleb wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 am I once found a blog (forget the name) run by a woman who a couple years ago started to produce the same little candy hearts but the text was customized based on user order. IIRC she got so many orders the first Valentine’s Day that she was unable to have them all filled by the company she was using. So the next year she brought the machine needed to do it herself and I want to say she made like $70K in the span of a few months.

Haven’t checked the blog lately but I wonder if her business has been positively impacted by this!
M&M's has had the ability to order custom-printed M&Ms for some years now: https://www.mymms.com . There are various levels of customization and pricing, but you can choose from two or three dozen colors, you can have custom text, and you can even print a custom image on them. They do not seem to be widely known so they have a pretty good "wow!" factor. The price is ridiculously high, but (depending on details and quanity), you know, like $50-$100-ridiculous, like Edible-Arrangements-ridiculous. They aren't price-competitive with a little box of conversation hearts for $1.29 or whatever. And they definitely are not heart-shaped.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

If I had thought about the candy (I didn't) I would have guessed it would be like Twinkies. When Hostess folded up, people were selling Twinkies for $20 on eBay. Then some company bought the rights, and most of the various cakes were back in the stores.

BTW, I don't like Twinkies much. Now, Ding Dongs are different story.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

It only took 50 years for the public to realize those hearts taste like crap
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

I have a nagging feeling this post isn’t really about candy after all .... especially with the oblique reference to GE. :P
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

TropikThunder wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:29 am I have a nagging feeling this post isn’t really about candy after all .... especially with the oblique reference to GE. :P
Of course, you’re correct. OP’s real point is that things that appear obvious in hindsight were not obvious before the event happened.

This point has broad applicability to investing. For example, it may be obvious in hindsight when to jump in and out to perfectly “time” the stock market. But all Bogleheads know that timing doesn’t work in practice.

As for me, I’m still long Kit-Kats. Still timing the market, because I “know” that a supply shortage and price spike is coming. Could be waiting a long time ....
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

Don’t worry. Spangler Candy bought the NECCO and their Sweetheart line. They will be back next year. Spangler is moving production from the NECCO Revere facility. I have to admit I am a Masshole who loves to eat the colored chalk they marketed as candy. (No I didn’t eat glue as a child.) I followed this story closely. The NECCO sale got caught up in the courts because NECCO failed to disclosure all of their the health code violations and other issues at their plant. In the end Spangler purchased NECCO. Their crappy candy will return!
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

fru-gal wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:27 am I saw it coming soon enough to buy skybars in bulk for my own consumption. I am happy to report that a small company has bought the rights to skybars and plans to make them.

I can't remember if Necco was one of those companies like Sears that was bought by a hedge fund, stripped of value and then tossed in the trash.

Sad to see this happen, anyway.
Maybe if you had some of the Japanese Seasonal Kit-Kats that aren't well imported into the United States.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

pfrank wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 am Don’t worry. Spangler Candy bought the NECCO and their Sweetheart line. They will be back next year. Spangler is moving production from the NECCO Revere facility. I have to admit I am a Masshole who loves to eat the colored chalk they marketed as candy. (No I didn’t eat glue as a child.) I followed this story closely. The NECCO sale got caught up in the courts because NECCO failed to disclosure all of their the health code violations and other issues at their plant. In the end Spangler purchased NECCO. Their crappy candy will return!
Indeed, my posting was entirely about foresight and hindsight. Furthermore, these details, which I hadn't known, make the further point that greatly consequential things involving companies (and, if public, their stock prices) turn on various small details. The details are hard to predict, and even when known their consequences are hard to predict. They may be known only to people who follow the company very closely--or even known only to insiders.

People are saying that the decline in Kraft Heinz is "caused" by changing consumer preferences (fresh kale instead of packaged macaroni and cheese). However, the thing to note here is that problems with NECCO did not turn on opinions about the taste of the candy.

By the way there was an hysterically funny "Not My Job" segment on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" about NECCO wafers. Audio here: Not My Job: Neko Case, and Transcript here. The conceit behind this segment is that Peter Sagal, after interviewing a celebrity who is an expert on something, asks them quiz questions about something they know absolutely nothing about. Since her name is "Neko," he asked her questions about "NECCO." Along the way segment actually answers questions like "what are the purple wafers supposed to taste like?" and has a lot of fund with NECCO's claims that NECCO wafers were being made during the Civil War.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I did not see it.

But even if you saw it, you might not make any money. There are plenty of other candy alternatives such that even if you could efficiently find a market for your stash, you wouldn’t have been able to charge much more for them over valentines. It’s not exactly like they are a sweethearts substitute, either.

Your best bet would be to sell them on ebay to Necco wafer fans.

Even if you saw it, the profit might not be there...

JT
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 am The conceit behind this segment is that Peter Sagal, after interviewing a celebrity who is an expert on something, asks them quiz questions about something they know absolutely nothing about. Since her name is "Neko," he asked her questions about "NECCO."
Wandering off-topic, but she's one a my favorite musicians. "Middle Cyclone" was a terrific album.

With a super cool cover:

That was actually her '67 Cougar.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

For a long time the factory near MIT (with NECCO on the building) used to sell irregular filled chocolate in no-named boxes. Mmmm. They were marketed under someone else's name.

Given that Brach's also makes conversation hearts, how good was this buying opportunity?

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/conver ... arts-necco

+1 for Neko Case. Like Hold On a lot.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

The placid buy and hold mentality at Bogleheads meant we all missed out, while those who were more ready to pounce on a buying opportunity locked up the market:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... 13beac5b8c

Even if I had bought in, it would have been for nought. I'd have eaten all of them.
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Although it was a sweet opportunity, alas I missed out. Investing in edible collectibles is not to my taste. Besides, the cost of the temperature and humidity controlled Candy Vault would have crushed my returns, and eaten into my profits.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Damn things tasted like chalk :annoyed
All the Best, | Joe
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

my hindsight is much better than my foresight. that reminds me, I haven't seen the eye doctor in a while.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

For the last few years, I did suspect that the company might be in trouble, because they seemed to have drifted into very poor distribution capability, at least on the west coast. The wafers (which we liked for travel snacks) had become pretty hard to find, and most of the hearts around were Brachs or other "not quite the same" versions. The shelf space wars in the retail world can be pretty vicious if you don't stay on top of your distribution chain.

It sounds like the company had been drifting downwards for a number of years, and a LBO ~15 years ago may have left them with enough debt that they didn't have much resilience to service the debt when times got tough.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Hatch Batten wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 am In my experience, candy hearts are among the first in the candy dish to go stale at room temperature, going from a brittle chalkiness to tooth-cracking firmness in a matter of months. So this might have been an exercise in food science as well as in simple logistics.
The fact that candy hearts could sit in a candy dish for more than two days without being eaten should have been a red flag that the company was doomed.
Last edited by Watty on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bongleur

Post by Bongleur »

I put a dozen Hersheys chocolate rabbits in a closet with a pile of Reeses Cups and some Cadbury Eggs. Hoping for a favorable mutation to arise.

Remember Sugar options in the 80's ? After all, that tariff can't last forever...
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.
Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy »

I actually did know about the problems, but I did not buy the stock. I bought six rolls of the product for nostalgic purposes. I probably paid too much, paying $20 first six rolls of Necco Wafers. However, it is one of the best purchases that I have made in the way of a Splurge in my life. When does not eat Necco Wafers for just the flavor as amazing as it is. One eats Necco Wafers for the memories.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:28 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 am The conceit behind this segment is that Peter Sagal, after interviewing a celebrity who is an expert on something, asks them quiz questions about something they know absolutely nothing about. Since her name is "Neko," he asked her questions about "NECCO."
Wandering off-topic, but she's one a my favorite musicians. "Middle Cyclone" was a terrific album.

With a super cool cover:

That was actually her '67 Cougar.
Thank you for this laugh. What a great album. (I'll be seeing her live in a few months.) She held a raffle for that '67 Cougar to benefit charity. I did not win.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Dulocracy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:22 am I actually did know about the problems, but I did not buy the stock. I bought six rolls of the product for nostalgic purposes. I probably paid too much, paying $20 first six rolls of Necco Wafers. However, it is one of the best purchases that I have made in the way of a Splurge in my life. When does not eat Necco Wafers for just the flavor as amazing as it is. One eats Necco Wafers for the memories.
I noticed Necco wafers back in the store this week, from Spangler. Made in Mexico now. Tasted pretty much the same, though maybe slightly more edible (because they were fresh?). Sometimes a niche product can revive.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

curmudgeon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Dulocracy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:22 am I actually did know about the problems, but I did not buy the stock. I bought six rolls of the product for nostalgic purposes. I probably paid too much, paying $20 first six rolls of Necco Wafers. However, it is one of the best purchases that I have made in the way of a Splurge in my life. When does not eat Necco Wafers for just the flavor as amazing as it is. One eats Necco Wafers for the memories.
I noticed Necco wafers back in the store this week, from Spangler. Made in Mexico now. Tasted pretty much the same, though maybe slightly more edible (because they were fresh?). Sometimes a niche product can revive.
Apparently the flavors are all "the same as before", with one exception. The chocolate supposedly has more cocoa in it.
(I didn't realize they were now made in Mexico. Somehow, I thought they were now made somewhat near the original place in New England.)
Now I need to find some of the chocolate, if there are rolls of "all chocolate".

So I won't gain any money from NECCO, but I may gain a bit of weight :happy
Brings back lots of memories, too.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I think there was a run on Twinkies and Ding Dongs when Hostess was having trouble.
glorat

Post by glorat »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:52 am
Stinky wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:07 am Darn it! Missed another "gift horse" buying opportunity!

And of course in the summer the chocolate will melt :(
This comment reminds me of all the "investors" who correctly knew that oil price was going to go up, bought it, but forgot that there's a huge storage cost so their ETF value went down even when oil prices were going back up
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I remember the smell of the NECCO factroy in Cambridge years ago.
Funny thing - just the other day I found they were selling rolls of Necco wafers in Walgreens. I picked up a pack - Made in Mexico. Bought them - tasted the same as those I had several decades ago.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am just thankful we are not talking about Sweetarts. Specifically Mini Chewy or Extreme Sour Chewy.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I’m waiting for a dark chocolate ETF :twisted:
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Well, connoisseurs swear that Mexican Coke tastes better than the US product, so why not Mexican NECCO wafers?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:19 pm Well, connoisseurs swear that Mexican Coke tastes better than the US product, so why not Mexican NECCO wafers?
I had heard a few years ago that "Mexican Coca Cola" is a) still bottled in glass bottles (which I really think affects flavor, or should I say that the glass bottles do *not* affect the flavor!?), and b) they still use cane sugar, and not the fructose/corn syrup stuff.

But by then, we were only drinking Diet Coke, because we think those chemicals are so healthy (NOT!).
Costco still used to sell the Mexican Coke in glass bottles several years ago, which is where I saw them, and looked at them up close and personal.

Meanwhile, I need to look for those chocolate NECCO wafers.

And that Dark Chocolate ETF :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

Yes, Mexican Coca Cola tastes better, IMO. I live very very close to the border and can get it anytime I wish. It is very sweet and still comes in the small glass bottles. I am not a big fan of sugar sweetened drinks, but every once in a while one is given to me as a treat. It is best ice cold.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains”
celia

Post by celia »

We were in the Boston area once and happened to drive down the street where the headquarters were. We did a double-take when we saw the colorful pillar(s):
https://foursquare.com/v/necco/4acf4e51 ... 6357f554c9

While searching for this picture, I saw articles saying Amazon bought the property and will be using it as a distribution center.

I heard when they were closing down and tried to buy some candy but couldn't find any.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I'm going to kill a roll of chocolate Neccos as soon as I can find them! :D
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

Seriously... does anyone know if NECCOs are still available anywhere? They were our "goto candy" for decorating the roofs of our Christmas gingerbread houses, and this last year we used up the last of the ones we have. Would love to get more.... not for eating, just for shingling :P
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

They just started making them again. They're supposed to begin appearing in many drug stores (i.e. Walgreens) and other places this month.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

curmudgeon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Twinkies came back after the Hostess bankruptcy, too.

I was actually very dismayed early on in the pandemic when the shelves were empty of bread, but the Twinkies were still in stock.
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 pm I had heard a few years ago that "Mexican Coca Cola" is a) still bottled in glass bottles (which I really think affects flavor, or should I say that the glass bottles do *not* affect the flavor!?), and b) they still use cane sugar, and not the fructose/corn syrup stuff.
A local science museum partners with a chain of brewpubs in my area to do a series of lectures they call Science Pub, which have some distant similarity to Ted Talks, except Science Pub has been free for longer, and you can have beer and food while you learn.

One of the talks I attended was by a university fermantation sciences researcher (yes that is a real thing - part of the land grant university's mission to support agricultural).

Bottles vs. cans was just becoming a big topic in the craft beer industry at the time, both for economics, and because many craft breweries were interested in appealing to customers concerned about environmental impact.

He asserted strongly, although I don't recall if this was based on his own research (which did include quite a bit related to factors that affect beer flavor, but his specialty was the stability of hops) or that of others, that the inside liners of aluminum cans had been improved decades ago to avoid affecting the flavor, and that blind taste testers not being served from the original container can not tell the difference between canned or bottled beverages.

I will certainly agree there is a difference in the experience of drinking from a bottle compared to a can, but I tend to agree with the professor that the big difference is the shape and feel, not the flavor.
stormcrow

Post by stormcrow »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 pm They just started making them again. They're supposed to begin appearing in many drug stores (i.e. Walgreens) and other places this month.
Come for the investing advice, stay for the candy availability tips.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I have never eaten a necco wafer but I have always wanted a 1967 Cougar.
A fool and your money are soon partners
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

stormcrow wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:57 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 pm They just started making them again. They're supposed to begin appearing in many drug stores (i.e. Walgreens) and other places this month.
The current outlook is hold. Candy investors should consider their next major buying opportunity as November 1.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

stormcrow wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:57 am
This made me chuckle
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French