[Fidelity and Schwab Expand Commission Free ETF list]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
mervinj7

[Fidelity and Schwab Expand Commission Free ETF list]

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm

For those that might have missed today's announcement. The commission free ETF list will expand from 240 to 500 with more options from iShares on Feb 28. However, I don't see a full list of the new ETFs on the website. Anybody find it?

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... 021219.pdf

SlowMovingInvestor

Re: Fidelity Expands Commission Free ETF list to over 500

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Schwab too apparently. But I don't see their list either

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/fidelit ... rades.html

TDAM is the laggard in this area now.

drk

Post by drk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Here is the Schwab list. Nothing too exciting, except for more Treasury fund coverage. It looks like the list specifically excludes funds that would compete with Schwab’s own ETFs, so no ITOT, IJR, IDEV, IEMG, etc.

Actually, I reckon I overlooked the SPDR Portfolio additions. They compete directly with Schwab ETFs.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:28 pm

The price war is still on. Competition is a wonderful thing. I love it!

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Some of the iShares Bond ETFs do compete with Schwab's own bond ETFs.

gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:43 pm

drk wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 pm
Here is the Schwab list. Nothing too exciting, except for more Treasury fund coverage. It looks like the list specifically excludes funds that would compete with Schwab’s own ETFs, so no ITOT, IJR, IDEV, IEMG, etc.

Actually, I reckon I overlooked the SPDR Portfolio additions. They compete directly with Schwab ETFs.
Not much that's being added is compelling for me. I might switch some of my SFENX to DGS though.

MnD

Post by MnD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm

drk wrote:

Boooooo...............
No low cost complete total international such as iShares IXUS.
No total world stock, not even the less than complete and pricey iShares ACWI (.31ER and no small small caps) or complete but still pricey and very low trading volume State Street ACIM. Absent that, Schwab needs to come up with their own total ex-US at least.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

Jmh04j

Schwab expands commission free ETFs

Post by Jmh04j » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

It looks like Schwab is adding iShares, SPDRs and others to their commission free lineup. For some reason ITOT (iShares total market) and IXUS (iShares total international) are curiously missing from the list. I have reached out to Schwab for clarification.

https://www.aboutschwab.com/press/schwa ... -free-etfs

mptfan

Re: Schwab expands commission free ETFs

Post by mptfan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 am

Jmh04j wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 am
It looks like Schwab is adding iShares, SPDRs and others to their commission free lineup. For some reason ITOT (iShares total market) and IXUS (iShares total international) are curiously missing from the list. I have reached out to Schwab for clarification.
Why do you need clarification, what part of Schwab's announcement is unclear?

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am

I think OP meant why Schwab selectively chose only some and not all iShare ETFs to be commission free.
I’d be interested in their response too since I recently TLHed VEU into IXUS.

Willmunny

Post by Willmunny » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

I assume they want to keep their customers who use total market index ETFs in SCHB and SCHF.

student

Post by student » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 am

Willmunny wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am
I assume they want to keep their customers who use total market index ETFs in SCHB and SCHF.
+1.

rajwar

Post by rajwar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm

ITOT ans SCHB look pretty much the same in all aspects

michaeljmroger

Post by michaeljmroger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Great news! My main issue with Schwab was that they didn't have a great muni bond fund so far, but this is now fixed with access to MUB commission-free.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:20 pm

rajwar wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm
ITOT ans SCHB look pretty much the same in all aspects
Different indexes though, so potentially good pairing for tlh (or triple with vti if that's your strategy)

Nthomas

Post by Nthomas » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I wish they would have at least included IJR (S&P 600 SC) and IJS (S&P 600 SCV) as Schwab has no similar funds. The only commission-free option is SLYV (SPDR S&P 600 SCV) which is not tax-efficient.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Jmh04j wrote:

Pass. No VT
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:05 pm
Jmh04j wrote:

Pass. No VT
Ha! No commission free funds at all from their mortal enemy.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:45 pm

19 of the 25 iShares Core ETF's were excluded from the addition to Schwab's commission-free list.
All 14 equity funds, 1 real estate fund and the 4 multi-asset allocation funds.
The only Core funds included were the 6 Core fixed income ETF's.
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/etf ... &fst=50567

So not much to get excited about except on the bond side which looked like a decent expansion.
I noticed iShares Core ISUD was added. It is like Total Bond Fund like BND or AGG but with high yield included.
3.27% SEC yield versus 3.01% for folks interested in a more "total" total bond fund.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

Jmh04j

Post by Jmh04j » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm

MnD wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:45 pm
19 of the 25 iShares Core ETF's were excluded from the addition to Schwab's commission-free list.
All 14 equity funds, 1 real estate fund and the 4 multi-asset allocation funds.
The only Core funds included were the 6 Core fixed income ETF's.
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/etf ... &fst=50567

So not much to get excited about except on the bond side which looked like a decent expansion.
I noticed iShares Core ISUD was added. It is like Total Bond Fund like BND or AGG but with high yield included.
3.27% SEC yield versus 3.01% for folks interested in a more "total" total bond fund.
Well said - it’s a shame because including the Core iShares commission free probably would have put me over the edge with the decision to consolidate to Schwab.

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Willmunny wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am
They did add AGG, which is kind of odd considering the similarity to their own SCHZ. Maybe they only added rival ETFs that duplicate theirs if the new one had higher ER?

I noticed Fidelity didn't announce the new commission free ETFs they were adding. Maybe Schwab caught them flat-footed.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Fidelity announced the same thing on the same day as Schwab: 500+ commission-free ETFs. There was an earlier thread discussing both announcements: viewtopic.php?t=272759

Fidelity hasn't released their expanded list yet that I can tell.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Schwab needs their own total international if they aren't going to add someone elses to their free list.
I can't believe Schwab or their customers are happy with cobbling together SCHF, SCHE and SCHC for a still incomplete approximation of VXUS or IXUS.

Jmh04j

Post by Jmh04j » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:20 pm

MnD wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Schwab needs their own total international if they aren't going to add someone elses to their free list.
I can't believe Schwab or their customers are happy with cobbling together SCHF, SCHE and SCHC for a still incomplete approximation of VXUS or IXUS.
AMEN!!

badger42

Post by badger42 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm

MnD wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm
As a Schwab customer, I don't begrudge them the $4.95 commission on an ETF trade to get what I want. For a $10k trade that's 5 basis points of one-time cost, and their execution is excellent (and you often make significantly more than that $4.95 back with their price improvement on execution)

Also, their fund mix lets me slice and dice if I'm so inclined - e.g. I'd rather have FNDC than SCHC for international small-cap.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Lots of overlap between Schwab and Fidelity on commission-free iShares ETFs.

happenstance

Post by happenstance » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 pm

drk wrote:

There are some good things in the list. I'm happy to see more muni bond ETFs (like SUB, MUB, and NYF), since I currently pay commission for NYF. It's also nice to have the RAFI FTSE funds to use for tax-loss harvesting with Schwab's RAFI Russell funds.

I do wish they had IXUS, since Schwab doesn't offer an international equivalent to SCHB – you have to combine SCHF, SCHC, and SCHE.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Fidelity and Schwab Expand Commission Free ETF list]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm

I merged Jmh04j's thread into the on-going discussion. Both threads were discussing Fidelity and Schwab, so it made sense to combine them. I also retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm

happenstance wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 pm
drk wrote:

There are some good things in the list. I'm happy to see more muni bond ETFs (like SUB, MUB, and NYF), since I currently pay commission for NYF. It's also nice to have the RAFI FTSE funds to use for tax-loss harvesting with Schwab's RAFI Russell funds.

I do wish they had IXUS, since Schwab doesn't offer an international equivalent to SCHB – you have to combine SCHF, SCHC, and SCHE.
+1

I was also happy to see MUB (municipal bonds) on the list, as well as IAGG (total international bond market), IUSB (total U.S. bond market + high-yield junk bonds), and iShares' U.S. treasury lineup (SHY, IEI, IEF, TLH, and TLT). Schwab also added several of iShares' single-factor funds (like MTUM, QUAL, VLUE, and USMV), but not iShares' multifactor funds (LRGF, SMLF, INTF, ISCF, and EMGF).

It's too bad Schwab didn't add iShares' S&P funds (like IJH, IJR, IJJ, and IJS) or iShares' total international fund (IXUS) though.

walletless

Post by walletless » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I think vanguard has won the "commission-feee ETF" war. They have by far the largest selection of all. The only way, I think, Fidelity or Schwab can make a move is to make vanguard ETFs commission free. That may encourage some folks to do in-kind transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity/Schwab without worrying about paying a fee to trade those ETFs. The idea that you can continue to hold vanguard funds at a brokerage with better customer support may be enticing for several people. However it is not clear how Schwab/Fidelity will profit from such customers without convincing to sell them more higher margin services or products.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:15 pm

walletless wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm
I think vanguard has won the "commission-feee ETF" war. They have by far the largest selection of all. The only way, I think, Fidelity or Schwab can make a move is to make vanguard ETFs commission free. That may encourage some folks to do in-kind transfer from Vanguard to Fidelity/Schwab without worrying about paying a fee to trade those ETFs. The idea that you can continue to hold vanguard funds at a brokerage with better customer support may be enticing for several people. However it is not clear how Schwab/Fidelity will profit from such customers without convincing to sell them more higher margin services or products.
Add Vanguard.
However it is not clear how Schwab/Fidelity Vanguard will profit from such customers without convincing to sell them more higher margin services or products.
I don't know that I'd say Vanguard has won. I hold all my ETFs at Schwab and TDAmeritrade, including VTI. Nobody has tried to sell me anything. Also have well over a million at Fidelity, where nobody's tried to sell me anything and the cost is much lower than Vanguard. For completeness, I have an account at Vanguard but have started the motion to convert to ETF then move it out.....probably to TDAmeritrade.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

snailderby wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm
happenstance wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 pm
drk wrote:

+1

I was also happy to see MUB (municipal bonds) on the list, as well as IAGG (total international bond market), IUSB (total U.S. bond market + high-yield junk bonds), and iShares' U.S. treasury lineup (SHY, IEI, IEF, TLH, and TLT). Schwab also added several of iShares' single-factor funds (like MTUM, QUAL, VLUE, and USMV), but not iShares' multifactor funds (LRGF, SMLF, INTF, ISCF, and EMGF).

It's too bad Schwab didn't add iShares' S&P funds (like IJH, IJR, IJJ, and IJS) or iShares' total international fund (IXUS) though.
Your eyes deceive you - LRGF and INTF are on the list.