Jack Bogle's Obituary From The Family

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Jack Bogle's Obituary From The Family

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Bogleheads:

Emily Snyder, Mr. Bogle's assistant, sent me this obituary from the family:
John Clifton Bogle of Bryn Mawr PA died at home on January 16, 2019, surrounded by his family. He was 89 years old.

Mr. Bogle, known as Jack, was born May 8, 1929 in Montclair NJ with his twin brother David Caldwell to William Yates Bogle Jr and Josephine Hipkins Bogle. They joined their older brother William Yates III (Bud) and became known by a lifelong circle of friends as the Bogle Boys.

Consistently driven, determined and hard working, the twins followed their older brother to Blair Academy in 1945 and graduated in 1947. Their time at Blair inspired a life long devotion and commitment to the school. After graduating from Blair, Mr. Bogle entered Princeton University as a scholarship student, working as a waiter in the dining halls and in the athletic ticket office to pay for his education. He studied economics, writing his thesis on the then unknown mutual fund industry, and graduated magna cum laude in 1951. While at Princeton he met and was befriended by Jay Sherrerd, class of 1952, who brought Mr. Bogle home to Bryn Mawr to meet his family, including Jay’s younger sister Eve. The two married in 1956 and had six children.

After Princeton, Mr. Bogle was hired by Walter L. Morgan, founder of the nation’s oldest balanced mutual fund, Wellington Fund, where Mr. Bogle was the driving force behind Wellington’s growth into a mutual fund family. A dispute with new partners at the Fund lead to his firing and subsequently his founding in 1975 of The Vanguard Group of Investment Companies, two occasions he proclaimed ever since that he underwent “fired with enthusiasm!” Leading the company until his heart transplant in 1996, he nonetheless remained forever after a vocal and strident advocate of the individual investor with books, speeches, opinion pieces, and public appearances.

Mr. Bogle was fiercely competitive, especially on the doubles squash courts where opponents feared his determination and drop shot. The family played tennis together, often at their treasured family home in Lake Placid, NY, a place to which they still retreat for the summer months. Not just athletically competitive, his relaxation came from completing the daily New York Times crossword puzzles, including Sunday, in ink, comparing his time to finish to those of his brothers and children.

A devoted philanthropist, Mr. Bogle served the Board of Trustees of Blair Academy from 1972 to this day, including 16 years as its Chairman. Among his most remarkable and proud accomplishments, he established the Bogle Brothers Scholarship Fund which to date has funded the education of nearly 200 students. In 1998 he was named Chairman of the National Constitution Center, overseeing its creation and building on Philadelphia’s Independence Mall where it continues as one of the city’s most treasured institutions. He remained active in numerous other local and national educational, civic, medical and arts organizations as well.

Mr. Bogle suffered from a rare and degenerative heart disease, and was admitted to Hahnemann Hospital in the fall of 1995 to begin the wait for a new heart. He received the extraordinary second chance at life in February 1996, for which he remained exceptionally grateful.

Mr. Bogle is survived by his wife Eve, daughters Barbara Bogle Renninger (Scott), Jean Bogle, Nancy Bogle St John (Gordon), and Sandra Bogle Marucci (Buddy), sons John Clifton Bogle Jr (Lynn) and Andrew Armstrong Bogle, twelve grandchildren, and six great-grandsons, and his brother William Yates Bogle III. He is predeceased by his twin brother David Caldwell Bogle.

In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to Blair Academy, the Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church, and Gesu School

"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference."

Thank you, dear friend.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

catdude

Re: Jack Bogle's Obituary From The Family

Post by catdude » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 pm

A wonderful life, well-lived.

Thank you for posting this, Taylor.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

diasurfer

Post by diasurfer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you for posting,

and thank you, John Bogle.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Thank you Taylor. My heart continues to alternately ache and swoon since receiving yesterday's sad news.

alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

And what a difference he made. Thank you for sharing the obituary.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Gesu School's donation page

Blair Academy's donation page

Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church's donation page, but obviously they weren't thinking of outside contributions as you first need to set up an account to do it electronically.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Thank you for posting this lovely portrait of his life.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Thank you to both Taylor for posting the obituary and Nisiprius for providing the donation links
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Thank you, Taylor, for forwarding the sad news. Mr. Bogle was one of a kind.

Daisy Dog
(Sherrie)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm

This thread is now visible at the top of all forums.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I want to mention that in his newest(?)book "Stay the Course" there is mention of him supporting "American Indian College Fund",including having served as Trustee from 1996 until 2002
I think he sped up the schedule of finishing that book,knowing that his time was short.

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi Taylor et al:

The Bogle eBlog has also posted this as In Memorium – John C Bogle.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page affiliate blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.

RobG

Post by RobG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 pm

We are doing well if we can improve the lives of one or two people. He did really well.
Stay thrifty my friends.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

My wife and I have vivid memories of Jack's talks at the three Boglehead meetings we attended in PA. Mr. Bogle was always crisp, clear and forceful with his views on investing and the state of Wall Street. His Q & A sessions were always entertaining and useful.

A long life, well-lived. He was a force of energy and determination, especially considering how sick he was before his heart transplant, and the number of times he came to the edge of death.

Rest in a peace well-earned and highly deserved, Jack Bogle.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I did read this earlier Mr. Bogle's blog. Our country lost a good man today.

God Bless you and your family Mr. Bogle.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Post by 2015 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Mr. Bogle was one of the rare souls who lived up to the idea of being able to "make a dent in the universe." A sad day this day.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Pictures of him are now on Vanguard's public web page,including him as an intense young man with his mentor Walter Morgan.

Amart

Post by Amart » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Thank you for sharing, Taylor. I encourage everyone to watch the video on Vanguard "A look back at the life of Vanguard's founder".

https://about.vanguard.com/who-we-are/a ... e-tribute/

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm

THIS "While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference."

8-) This is why JBogle accomplished the reputation and legacy he's has. He had his own set of rules.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

golfer292

Post by golfer292 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 pm

I began following Mr Bogle in the mid 80's. He presented financial information to the everyday person in a clear and easy to understand way. He will be missed. I always enjoyed his commentary.

annbrennan

Post by annbrennan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Taylor, you and Mel have lost a dear friend. You have also made a difference. You two have honored Jack with this forum and so many Boglehead Diehard get-togethers.
Thanks Jack. Thanks Taylor. Thanks Mel.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:59 pm

May we all be so blessed to live and die having made a difference and be loved and missed after a long life! Truly an amazing man, as are you too Taylor.

cleareyes

Post by cleareyes » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 pm

A life well spent on educating the common man. Sir Bogle will always be remembered for his dedication to making a difference to our lives.
Thank you Bogle.
We done remember days,but, Moments, in our Lives:)

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 am

Thank you for sharing this. Mr. Bogle left a profound family legacy in addition to his contributions to the fund industry.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 am

It was interesting that Mr. Bogle married his friend's sister. Little did Jack now what would happen when a friend would bring him home to meet family. Interesting how things like that work out.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Cyberdaisy

Post by Cyberdaisy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 am

Taylor,

We knew this day would inevitably come but there are no words for the sadness I've felt since the news of our beloved Jack's death.
But also immense gratitude for the extraordinary example and legacy he's left in his wake. Thank you for posting his obituary.

And also gratitude to you & your wife, dear Taylor, for your bold invitation to that seminal dinner in Florida that gave a few of us the opportunity to meet this truly unique man & get to know him personally over the years.

Cyberdaisy aka Claudia
Plan for the future but live for today.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 pm

He left the world a far better place. Very grateful for all that he has done for the ordinary investor. A true inspiration, in so many ways.
Last edited by rjbraun on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandrat

Post by sandrat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you Mr. Bogle for all you have given to the world. You were one of a kind. A selfless man who has helped so many trying to navigate through this confusing financial system. I for one have benefitted greatly from your advice and will be eternally grateful to you. You will never be forgotten and will forever be missed. Thank you.

Buysider

Post by Buysider » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church has updated their website to accommodate all the people who want to give on line in memory of Jack. You can give directly through their website here:

https://public.serviceu.com/PaymentForm ... b379bbefb1

Benjamin Buffett

Post by Benjamin Buffett » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Thank you for helping the average investor get a fair shake on wall street, we will never forget your efforts, nor will we ever forget your great advice. Jack Bogle truly was the investor's best friend, big and small.

KATNYC

Post by KATNYC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Thank you for sharing.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 pm

A man that made a difference in my life and the life of my family. Eternally grateful, Mr. Bogle.

Davinci

Post by Davinci » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm

"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference."
Thank you Jack, Taylor, Mel, Laura and all our Boglehead leaders for making a difference for all us!

They share their wisdom and time from the bottom of their hearts with no strings attached. This is as rare as a hope diamond in the financial industry.

Jack, our leader, foundation and mentor, rest in peace! Your legacy will leave forever in this forum and in the heart of the thousands of your beloved Bogleheads!
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.

Ralph_Kramden

Post by Ralph_Kramden » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

For me, knowing little of investing but what confusing gurus with conflicting opinions opined, Jack Bogle brought order, simplicity, and Vanguard that has served me well. RIP

Goodmand3

Post by Goodmand3 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Mr. Bogle made a difference in my life as well by helping me understand that, sometimes, complicated in the investment world is not a sign of intelligence, but an intentional marketing strategy. I am grateful for his dedication to this industry and for all the good work he has done. Enough, indeed.

blackcat allie

Post by blackcat allie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 am

Everything said above, I lack words to describe my gratitude/awe to a great man --
and so thankful as well for this wonderful community
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is while you are thinking about it.” - Daniel Kahneman

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Mr. John C. Bogle - a man who truly made a positive difference in the world. RIP.

Thank you, Jack!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you Taylor. The world could use more men like Jack Bogle.
Steve | Semper Fi

Osp62

Re: Jack Bogle’s Obituary from the Family

Post by Osp62 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:46 pm

Jack Bogle enabled the largest wealth and income transfer from investment managers to average investors in history. It is hard to find any single person to whom you can attribute anything even remotely close.

The creation of the VG corporate structure, the first retail investor index fund and the VG corporate culture have been Jack’s gift to all of us over the longer term. However, as VG has become more successful during the last decade, Jack will be most missed because there is no one left on his bully pulpit that has continued to challenge high investment costs.

Rest in Peace - Jack. Thank you.
Last edited by Osp62 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Buysider wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm
Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church has updated their website to accommodate all the people who want to give on line in memory of Jack. You can give directly through their website here:

https://public.serviceu.com/PaymentForm ... b379bbefb1
Thank you.
I think Jack would want this. It's a way to grief for a wonderful human being who touched us all in a lot more ways than just money.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

dave2589

Post by dave2589 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm

R.I.P Mr. Bogle

You did one thing no other investment company ever did, you “ gave us what we paid for.” Thank you for lifetime of service to the average investor.

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Mr. Larimore, thank you for posting Mr. Bogle's obituary. His was a life well lived.

Esther Ells

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 pm

I believe the disciples of Jack will continue to spread the word or low cost, simple index investing. Mel, Taylor, and the multitude of financial pundits that have taken up his cause are inspiring. I believe that although Jack's body is gone, his spirit and good will will remain in our hearts and minds for many years to come.

With saddened heart,

Dan
Last edited by dwickenh on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 pm

He was born one day before my late mother who passed in 2015.

It's sad to see him go. I can't think of anybody else who did nearly so much good for the individual investor. He took the simple idea (which seemed wild at the time) that costs matter and that indexing is a winning strategy and brought it to tens of millions of investors. He can be proud of what his once tiny Vanguard became. Vanguard is his legacy that will continue to live on and thrive.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Bogleheads:

This is a Guestbook from the funeral home. Write a few words if you wish:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/philly ... /191294286

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Bogleheads:

This is a Guestbook from the funeral home. Write a few words if you wish:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/philly ... /191294286

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you Taylor.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Yes, this is the distinction. John Bogle worked tirelessly, his entire life, for the benefit of others.

Levelhead101

Post by Levelhead101 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am

Mr Jack Bogle, may I thank you for all you have done to center my path in investing, and beyond that, my ability to give to others as I occasionally have the ability to do. My deepest sympathies to all your loved ones, but know this man will be remembered for as long as we all live.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:55 am

The funeral has passed, please post tributes here: Tributes to Jack Bogle

A link to this thread, along with Mr. Bogle's forum posts, is documented in the wiki: John Bogle forum post index

The wiki article link is available on the wiki and site home pages.

With my deepest respect, this thread is locked to preserve the discussion. The tribute thread will remain open.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.