John Bogle has died at age 89

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Boggle Head

Re: John Bogle has died at age 89

Post by Boggle Head »

:( a very sad day indeed.

He did not only create Vanguard. He was and is the Vanguard for investors the world over. Admiral of the fleet. Long may his legacy continue.
egghead

Post by egghead »

Amazing how one man has affected the lives of so many individual investors in such a positive way. Very grateful for his impact in our lives...
Thank you, Mr. Bogle. RIP
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for upending the traditional paradigm where the rich get richer. You built a structure to allow individual investors to retain their wealth instead of having it syphon off to Wall Street.

I've been a fortunate beneficiary of your life's work at Vanguard and beyond since 1992, when I enrolled in the Thrift Savings Plan. My investment there was in the C Fund, a S&P 500 index fund modeled after your original Vanguard 500 stock index fund. Wow, that was 27 years ago. I started investing directly in Vanguard funds around 10 years ago.

Thank you for your service.
Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

Thank you Jack for championing the idea of an investor community, a group of people who, instead of trying to outfox each other and profit at each others' expense in the financial markets, join together to simply earn their fair share—and no more—of market returns. The world is a better and more equitable place because of the life you lived. Rest in peace.

Schooly D
Cheers, | | David
bastero

Post by bastero »

Thank You Jack.
Me and my family are very grateful to you. Rest in peace.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Death, the only thing that could stop Jack from helping others.

Some people, when they're gone, you just feel a deep loss even though you never met them.

A life truly well lived.

RIP
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

Youngblood wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 pm Death, the only thing that could stop Jack from helping others.

Some people, when they're gone, you just feel a deep loss even though you never met them.

A life truly well lived.

RIP
I know what you meant, but Mr. Bogle will continue to help others via his books and other publications.
Trade the news and you will lose.
steve50

Post by steve50 »

Very sad to hear the loss of Mr. Bogle. He was a great man and will be truly missed.
zhy0916

Post by zhy0916 »

R.I.P. Mr. Bogle
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Deeply saddened by the news.

Thank you Jack for the years of peace of mind.

You'll be missed.
Regards | Bob
senhati

Post by senhati »

It is a very sad day. He was a great man. This is a great loss for retail investor and country. His contribution to personal investors will never be forgotten. He should get Nobel Prize for his contribution to personal investors.

RIP Mr. Bogle.
advice789

Post by advice789 »

Thank you Jack for your principles that laid the foundation to financial independence.
And Thanks to Jack for his use of data analysis to support his approach. He used analytics long before data science became hot.
Last edited by advice789 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Dropping in to pay my respects. Americans have much to be thankful for with Jack Bogle, but allow me to say that investors worldwide owe him just as much.

It's a sad occasion, but Jack Bogle lived a long and fruitful life. He and his vision changed so many lives for the better. On the few occasions that I met him, he was always gracious, patient, a good listener. And humble, as no giant with his impact seems likely to be.

As Bylo says, his legacy is that he put riches aside to do the right thing for millions of others. I would bet that his "gifts" to investors are in the hundreds of millions if not trillions of dollars.

I am sad today but that will pass with time. I am also grateful today and will be for the rest of my life. Jack is gone, but what he did is not. I won't forget.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
stufunds

Post by stufunds »

Thank you for everything, Jack.

Rest In peace.
Save Early, Save Often
LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie »

Thank you so much, Mr. Bogle. I'm grateful to you.
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

In the end, we are only known by the legacy we leave behind and the contributions we make to society. In this regard, Jack Bogle was a giant.
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
toony

Post by toony »

Sir, I thank you for everything you have done.

Condolences to your family and may you rest in peace.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for your pioneering spirit, the index fund, and for your incredible impact in helping regular investors receive their fair shake. You leave behind a legacy of being a fighter, a pioneer, and a good man who has positively impacted millions of people. Rest in peace.
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.
welloiledinvestor

Post by welloiledinvestor »

I found out today while looking at something else. It's not what I wanted to hear. What would we do if we didn't have this amazing human being? I am so grateful to him. Condolences to his family. RIP
Brian1995

Post by Brian1995 »

I am very sad. I have learned so much from his books: I admire his ideas, his values and his writing, drawing on the Humanities and common sense. This great man reminds us of the power of simplicity. RIP Mr. Bogle.
mcgarrett

Post by mcgarrett »

I have the utmost respect for a man who simply did what he felt was right, despite the opportunity to reap enormous personal benefit. R.I.P.
McGarrett
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

The man should be on our currency, whichever denomination.
bac573

Post by bac573 »

Thank you, Jack, for literally changing my life. RIP and God bless you and your family and the Boglehead community.
One thing to know about this town; not a person doesn't want me underground.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Jack's obituary is now visible in all forums. See: Jack Bogle's Obituary From The Family
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LFT_PFT

Post by LFT_PFT »

So sad to hear about someone you never met, but has had such an impact on your life.

You know the sometimes asked question. "If you could sit next to anyone you wanted on an airplane, who would be?" I always thought John Bogle.

May he and his ideals never be forgotten.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We now have a tribute thread visible in all forums. See: Tributes to Jack Bogle
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

He knew what "enough" meant. And he walked the walk.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - The site home page now displays all three threads.
47Percent

Post by 47Percent »

I have been sad ever since I heard the news, not unlike losing a very close relative. Truth be told, I have never seen him in person.

I am thankful for his insight and dogged tenacity in seeing his vision through. My financial well being and my family's well being is directly attributable to him. So, not only can I arguably claim that he left me an inheritance of multiple millions, but also gave me the ability to continue to manage and grow it.

He was truly a national treasure.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

I learned the news yesterday while on the forum. Five minutes later, as I'm trying to absorb the loss that we've all been feeling, my son-in-law texted "RIP Jack Bogle". And shortly thereafter, my older daughter and spouse of SIL texted "Oh no! Mr. Bogle died? Well I appreciate him today. I hope he felt good knowing he helped so many people invest their money and not get screwed doing so."

So, I'm sitting there trying to absorb the meaning of those two texts which, to tell the truth, caught me by surpise. I decided that they meant two things, that the next generation in our little family had actually been listening, more attentively than I'd realized, to what I've been preaching so relentlessly, the Gospel according to Jack Bogle. They'd not tuned it out as I'd sometimes feared. And it also meant that they've genuinely appreciated the work of Jack Bogle and how that gift he's left us all empowers them as they save and invest for their futures and the future of my new grandson :beer .

As long I'm able to watch my young people making their way through life, I can know that Jack Bogle has given them the tools to achieve financial security in their later years, if only they'll listen and apply the principles, the Gospel according to Jack. He's leveled the playing field for them and, for that, I'm sincerely grateful. Thank you, Jack Bogle. And thank you, Bogleheads.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Such a good man and such a loss. We all owe him so much...
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Rest in peace. Thank you for your unselfish contributions to humanity. A life well lived indeed.
ram

Post by ram »

He indeed single handedly changed the MF( mutual fund) industry. RIP.
Last edited by ram on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram
genjix

Post by genjix »

RIP Mr. Bogle
You've given me and millions of people the guidance and confidence to invest. Thank you!
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

ram wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:30 pm He indeed single handedly changed the MF industry. RIP.
I was going to chastise you for your choice of words... then I realized I need to spend more time here, where MF isn't an adjective. (so, I'm self chastising here...)
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

So sad, a true pioneer has passed. I've been a Vanguard investor since 1987.

I think a lot of crocodile tears are being shed by the financial services industry.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that 'Tim' Buckley looks too much like Tom Brokaw to be trusted?

S
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Thank you Mr. Bogle. Without your vision, my family and I likely would not have achieved our financial and life goals.
Robert T

Post by Robert T »

A great man
A great contribution
A great loss.
WardnerMan

Post by WardnerMan »

My eyes watered when I read that the great man had passed. His legacy will live on through this forum thanks to the collective wisdom of its contributors, so St. Jack will be with us as long as the forum endures.

In celebration of a life well lived I toast a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon (Bogle Vinyards, Ca.)
Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor »

What cause for celebration. He made to it the end, it seems, being revered by both close friends and family as well as strangers and competitors alike, leading a fulfilling and productive life. We all should be so lucky. It's hard for me to shed a tear but for the reminder of the general suffering and loss that is the normal course of life, experienced by all, and some in much worse ways.
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

Thank you for all you've done for us small investors. You've earned your reward, rest in peace.
soc2003

Post by soc2003 »

A true friend of the common man and a true friend of the small investor.

He is one of the few individuals in the financial industry that has really made a positive difference.
bhj

Post by bhj »

All I can say is, thank you Mr. Bo...I mean, thank you Jack.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Thanks for everything you did Jack.

RIP.
honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane »

Sad news.

Hard to fathom someone who cared more about others interests than accumulating his own wealth. Jack could have easily been one of the richest men in the world, instead he improved the lives of some many others.

I did not embrace his philosophy until only a few years ago, to my detriment.

Thank you Jack.
HH
Prov227

Post by Prov227 »

But just a few days ago I finished Little Book of Common Sense Investing and, inspired by Mr. Bogle's voice in my ear, carried out some tweaks to my portfolio to simplify, rebalance, pay closer attention to my IPS / asset allocation, and reduce costs a bit further still. I am forever grateful that I stumbled upon his principles and this online community. Hopefully I'm able to pay it forward in time.

What a legacy. Truly a legend and a revolutionary.
"...and the borrower is slave to the lender." -Proverbs 22:7
g koz

Post by g koz »

RIP John Bogle... was a great friend to the average investor. if i hadn't heeded his words of wisdom thru the years, my investing life would not have been very good. so thank you Mr. Bogle, and much respect, you will be missed...
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Thank you for your contribution to the world of personal finance. Your legacy will live on. RIP Mr Bogle.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

RIP Saint Jack

Thank you!
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Drengr

Post by Drengr »

My role model, Mr.Bogle, thank you for everything you have done for us. I am eternally indebted to you. Rest in peace.