John Bogle has died at age 89

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
boglefan86

Re: John Bogle has died at age 89

Post by boglefan86 »

Rest in peace, Mr. Bogle. Thank you so much. Thanks to the community here that you've inspired.
Ana Z

Post by Ana Z »

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
Rest in peace.
Bimmer

Post by Bimmer »

Thanks Mr. Bogle.
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________
shoelaces

Post by shoelaces »

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
pingo

Post by pingo »

Thank you, my brother, for the life I'll have having knowing you from afar.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Thank you.
Rest in piece.
ICH

Post by ICH »

Rest in peace.
Thank you.
MisterMahuron

Post by MisterMahuron »

This will get lost in the weeds but just wanted to contribute my story and say thank you to Jack and to this forum in case anyone (or possibly even a family member) reads this.

In late 2013, right after graduating from college, I came home looking for a job. A few months of struggle in, my father passed very suddenly and left my sisters, mother and I to manage the family's estate. My father founded a once very successful sheet metal factory which was essentially going out of business at the time he passed. He had invested pretty much every cent of profit he had turned into real estate (generally raw parcels of land), some of which did not appreciate much but others of which generated a small fortune.

Upon his death my family and I were at total loss for what to do. We were entirely ignorant of everything related to the family's finances, and when we discovered the sheer number of different assets that we had invested in we were sent into a panic.

Being the numbers oriented one in my family, it fell upon me to figure out what our next step was going to be. I did a lot of googling and was led to r/portfolios. There these individuals kept posting these 3 fund, Vanguard (which I had never heard of) heavy portfolios. I got to asking around and someone pointed me to bogleheads.org.

This forum has been immensely important to me. Though I now check only a few times a year, in the year 2014 I religiously checked this forum every day. I started with watching the series of investment videos, and then read 'The Four Pillars of Investing' by William Bernstein and just about everything related to Jack Bogle that I could get my hands on.

Thanks to Mr. Bogle and this forum (and the advice of others who do this for a living), the family's finances are in a great position. 5 years later we are passively managing our finances while the 4 of us pursue what we would like to do with the rest of our lives.

Today I asked many family and friends if they knew who Jack Bogle was. Not a single one did. It was sad to me to know that someone so impactful could go so unnoticed compared to others who have contributed so much less. But I guess that's kind of the magic of Mr. Bogle: he could have been a household name, he could have made billions of dollars, but instead passed that money on to the average investor instead.

So thank you Mr. Bogle. Thank you for me and the millions of others that you've helped, even if they don't truly realize it. Thank you for giving us insight into investing so that we may pursue other endeavors and know that our financial situation will be ok. I pass your knowledge (and this forum) on to every person who asks me for financial help.

You were a good man, Jack. Rest in peace.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Rest in peace

Sam
21&lewis

Post by 21&lewis »

RIP Mr. Bogle

Thank you
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

Thank you! Saddened to hear of your passing. Grateful for for all your contributions and for this space and community.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

MisterMahuron wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am This will get lost in the weeds but just wanted to contribute my story and say thank you to Jack and to this forum in case anyone (or possibly even a family member) reads this.

<snip>
Great story!
dp102288

Post by dp102288 »

Mr. John,

Thank you. I've never met you. But you've done more for my life then I have. And so many more people than you would ever know.

We've lost a truly good person. The world is worse off without you.
dandypandys

Post by dandypandys »

Dear John, my husband and I have benefited much from your wisdom. Rest in Peace
SGM

Post by SGM »

This is a testimonial from Joshua Brown a reformed broker discussing how he didn't have any proper mentoring until he shed his brokerage license.
https://thereformedbroker.com/2019/01/1 ... he-course/

I was fortunate enough to meet him at some of the national Boglehead conferences and introduce some family members to Jack. He has made a big difference for our family's finances. He also has set an example on how to live well and leave the world a better place.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

MisterMahuron wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am This will get lost in the weeds but just wanted to contribute my story and say thank you to Jack and to this forum in case anyone (or possibly even a family member) reads this.

In late 2013, right after graduating from college, I came home looking for a job. A few months of struggle in, my father passed very suddenly and left my sisters, mother and I to manage the family's estate. My father founded a once very successful sheet metal factory which was essentially going out of business at the time he passed. He had invested pretty much every cent of profit he had turned into real estate (generally raw parcels of land), some of which did not appreciate much but others of which generated a small fortune.

Upon his death my family and I were at total loss for what to do. We were entirely ignorant of everything related to the family's finances, and when we discovered the sheer number of different assets that we had invested in we were sent into a panic.

Being the numbers oriented one in my family, it fell upon me to figure out what our next step was going to be. I did a lot of googling and was led to r/portfolios. There these individuals kept posting these 3 fund, Vanguard (which I had never heard of) heavy portfolios. I got to asking around and someone pointed me to bogleheads.org.

This forum has been immensely important to me. Though I now check only a few times a year, in the year 2014 I religiously checked this forum every day. I started with watching the series of investment videos, and then read 'The Four Pillars of Investing' by William Bernstein and just about everything related to Jack Bogle that I could get my hands on.

Thanks to Mr. Bogle and this forum (and the advice of others who do this for a living), the family's finances are in a great position. 5 years later we are passively managing our finances while the 4 of us pursue what we would like to do with the rest of our lives.

Today I asked many family and friends if they knew who Jack Bogle was. Not a single one did. It was sad to me to know that someone so impactful could go so unnoticed compared to others who have contributed so much less. But I guess that's kind of the magic of Mr. Bogle: he could have been a household name, he could have made billions of dollars, but instead passed that money on to the average investor instead.

So thank you Mr. Bogle. Thank you for me and the millions of others that you've helped, even if they don't truly realize it. Thank you for giving us insight into investing so that we may pursue other endeavors and know that our financial situation will be ok. I pass your knowledge (and this forum) on to every person who asks me for financial help.

You were a good man, Jack. Rest in peace.
Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's feedback like this that makes our efforts so rewarding. I'm sure Jack would be pleased, too.

Best regards,

Mel
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Jack,

My wife and I thank you for your bringing simplicity into our lives and our investing lives. Rest in peace.
World Market Weight Equity || 32x Expenses
SubieGirl14

Post by SubieGirl14 »

RIP Mr. Bogle, very sad news.
joer1212

Post by joer1212 »

There will never be another one like him. RIP, Mr. Bogle. You will be sorely missed.
MEA

Post by MEA »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for sharing your wisdom. Your wisdom will never die. We can all carry a small part of your wisdom with us, and that makes me smile. RIP
“Stay the course is the most important piece of advice I can give you.”-Bogle
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

I agree with so many others on this thread. I always considered Jack Bogle a leader and mentor to so many and we will miss him. I am very grateful that my husband and I were able to meet him a couple times and we still have a picture of all of us taken at a Boglehead conference. And I have to respectfully disagree with one of Jack Bogle's last regrets. I believe he said “My only regret about money,” Bogle said in 2012, per the Times, “is that I don’t have more to give away.”

Well, Mr. Bogle may not have personally donated as much as he would have liked. However, he provided the wisdom and guidance and tools to make many folks like my husband and I wealthy enough to make charitable donations each year. Given that there are many others Bogleheads like us out there, my suspicion is that Mr. Bogle has effectively helped create huge donations to worthy organizations each year of his life and (more importantly) each year after his passing. So Mr. Bogle I think you should not have that regret.

Eternal Rest and Peace to you Jack.
Storamin

Post by Storamin »

RIP Bogle.

I've always admired what he did for people, so that they could better live their lives. He was truly a visionary and pioneer.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It felt different logging into Vanguard today and issuing a buy order knowing that John wasn't with us. He left an incredible legacy.
crit

Post by crit »

Rest in peace, Mr. Bogle.

I will try to continue your with of spreading these ideas widely.

I'll be grateful for your low cost index funds, for a long time to come.
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Jack,
Thank you for your wisdom and down to earth concept of simplicity of investment. You will always be remembered and missed.
Best Regards,
Firehorse
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
272 Sheep

Post by 272 Sheep »

Much thanks to Mr. Bogle what he has done for our family.

Carl W.
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

Tonight DH and I raised a glass in honor of the estimable John Bogle.
Our condolences to his family.
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

I read the news on an Italian forum only now.
I'm just literally destroyed by the news. :(
I wished he could do another thousands videos and live at least until 100.
I've always enjoyed watching videos where he was interviewed.
He taught all of us so much.
I'll never stop thanking him for all his suggestions, and all the times he made me laught.

You are really lucky to have people like him in US, really clever smart people that spend some of their time to teach others what they know and what they learned during their huge carrers.
In Europe people like him and Buffett do not exist at all.

RIP
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my english and investing mistakes.
hiduplex

Post by hiduplex »

Jack enriched my life in many ways from founding Vanguard to all the great books he has written. This website and Vanguard will continue his legacy. Jack made it to almost 90 years old not that many people make it to that age. RIP
LatentStoic

Post by LatentStoic »

Just wanted to say as my inaugural post on Bogleheads that I am so grateful I learned about Jack, Vanguard and index funds in the early 1990s. My wife and I are Gen Xers with FI on the not-so-distant horizon now, thanks in very large part to wisdom gleaned from Jack’s writings, right alongside Buffet’s annual letters and books like The Millionaire Next Door and A Random Walk Down Wall Street.
Aphorism still under construction.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I feel like I lost a long-time associate. In a way Jack and I were associates. He created indexing as we know it, and I invested in those wonderful Vanguard funds and am now financially independent. Jack and I did it. Thanks again partner! God rest your soul.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

Mr. Bogle,
Thank you for all that you've done for my family. You have allowed us to follow our dreams, dreams that wouldn't have been possible without a sound investing strategy. My husband and I appreciate your wisdom and I am so thank you got us on the right path when my husband picked up Bogle on Mutual Funds all those years ago. May you rest in peace.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

I have watched Vanguard's video tribute multiple times on their website. They included Amazing Grace which always gets you. Well done and what a life of a remarkable honest to god man. Always helping others and making the world, and the people he interacted with, better.

God Bless you Mr. Bogle and family!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Been at a loss for words myself so I'll just say a couple things:

In my eyes, you were the living embodiment of a David that valiantly brought the Goliath that is Wall Street (and the Financial Industry in general) to its knees. To have gone up against such a formidable entity while creating a legion of loyal fans and converts along the way is a testament to your wisdom, courage, perseverance and persuasiveness in favor of truth, honesty, transparency and integrity.

As was said by Nicholas Klein,
"First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you...
source: https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/ ... das-Gandhi
Your creation was once called "Bogle's Folly", but it is you that had the last laugh.

We will continue to preach the gospel of investing according to your principles. That is the best way I know how to honor your legacy.

My deepest sympathies to your family. You made the world a better place Jack. Thank you for everything you've done for all of us.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

Sad to hear Mr. Bogle is no more.
I do feel blessed for having an opportunity to meet him at the Bogleheads Conference 2017.
You will be missed Mr. BOGLE...RIP!
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Chris Benz remembering John Bogle video interviews, a tribute over the years and recap.

https://www.morningstar.com/videos/9084 ... bogle.html
dubsem

Post by dubsem »

My condolences to the Bogle family.

Rest in peace, Legend.
G.O.O.D.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Thank you Mr.Bogle.
ScottR

Post by ScottR »

Mr. Bogle you are now gone, but will never be forgotten. I will continue to follow your plan till the end.
The American dream is alive and well.
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

The amount of good that Mr. Bogle has done for the world is staggering and hard to comprehend. His legacy will live on.

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
sgadlin

Post by sgadlin »

Thank you Mr. Bogle. You have made my life, as well as countless others, much better.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

Mr. Bogle left the world a significantly better place than he found it.

Rest in peace.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
teacher

Post by teacher »

"If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands down choice should be Jack Bogle. For decades, Jack has urged investors to invest in ultra-low-cost index funds. In his crusade, he amassed only a tiny percentage of the wealth that has typically flowed to managers who have promised their investors large rewards while delivering them nothing – or, as in our bet, less than nothing – of added value. In his early years, Jack was frequently mocked by the investment-management industry. Today, however, he has the satisfaction of knowing that he helped millions of investors realize far better returns on their savings than they otherwise would have earned. He is a hero to them and to me."
Warren Buffett shared those words to shareholders two years ago.

Jack leveled the playing field, "democratized investing", making investing efficacious for individuals, even those who start out with just two nickels to rub together, like DH and me. I am personally grateful for Jack Bogle's impact on the investment industry. My family has benefited from his efforts to give investors a fair shake with low-fee indexed mutual funds.

Also, I am grateful for this forum and its contributors who share advice inspired by Jack, teaching those (like me) how to take advantage of the opportunity Jack promoted. In my opinion, the founders of this forum, those who keep the forum up and running, and those who share Jack's investing advice on this forum contribute to Jack Bogle's legacy.
Tylenol Jones

Post by Tylenol Jones »

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
Rest in Peace.
DB2

Post by DB2 »

I really only "learned" about Mr. Bogle a couple of weeks ago. I must have watched (and re-watched some) every video of his on Youtube up until last week. I was shocked to learn of his passing all of a sudden. I couldn't believe it. What a tremendous man and what he did for regular investors is absolutely amazing. Enough cannot be said about him and he will always be remembered. One of a very few. RIP.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

Jack Bogle used his financial knowledge to help millions of people. He created a wonderful company that is everything a financial services company should be (client-centric, innovative, ethical). I'm now, thanks to this forum, knowledgeable about investing, but I stick with Vanguard funds, held at Vanguard, for the simple reason that I feel like I can trust them with my money -- that there is not a team in the backroom trying to cook up some toxic product to sell to me.

Jack Bogle created that culture. I am sad to see him go, and I hope those that run Vanguard honor that legacy by continuing his vision of building a long-term successful company by giving the ordinary investor a fair shake.
2kids&pets

Post by 2kids&pets »

I have never met Jack Bogle but as an everyday investor who became a multi millionaire after discovering Vanguard funds in the 1980’s at the beginning of my pharmacy career I am forever grateful Jack for “your uncanny ability to recognize the obvious” and share it with us.
I have shared my debt-free lifestyle and low cost index fund investing ideas with high school finance classes as a guest speaker for years. In 2014 I wrote Mr.Bogle a note of thanks and told him how I share his advice. I included a photo of my husband and two children. Expecting at best a copy-paste reply what I got instead was a hand written note of support and thanks in Jack’s own hand on his personal stationery. Wow! It’s been framed since the day I got it.
You are the giant who’s shoulders I stand on! Go with God! See you in Heaven!
Susan
FatherPsychiatry

Post by FatherPsychiatry »

RIP Mr. Bogle.
toledomike

Post by toledomike »

2kids&pets wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:25 pm I have never met Jack Bogle but as an everyday investor who became a multi millionaire after discovering Vanguard funds in the 1980’s at the beginning of my pharmacy career I am forever grateful Jack for “your uncanny ability to recognize the obvious” and share it with us.
I have shared my debt-free lifestyle and low cost index fund investing ideas with high school finance classes as a guest speaker for years. In 2014 I wrote Mr.Bogle a note of thanks and told him how I share his advice. I included a photo of my husband and two children. Expecting at best a copy-paste reply what I got instead was a hand written note of support and thanks in Jack’s own hand on his personal stationery. Wow! It’s been framed since the day I got it.
You are the giant who’s shoulders I stand on! Go with God! See you in Heaven!
Susan
Very nice reflection. One of my most prized possessions is a copy of Common Sense Investing...again with a personal note to me from Mr. Bogle. Just an incredible person