Favorite investing/personal finance Audiobooks?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
unstoppable

Favorite investing/personal finance Audiobooks?

Post by unstoppable » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I’m going to be cancelling my Audible subscription but before I do so I need to use my (5) credits. I can buy any (5) audiobooks and then download and cancel.

What are your favorite audiobooks? I do realize some books are better as audiobooks than others (easier on audio, read by author, enthusiastic vs monotone,etc.)

My favorite so far has been JL Collins “A simple path to wealth”. If anyone has any similar to his ok any way I’m sure I’d love it.

I find audiobooks much easier for me as I can do 1.5 hours a day just during my round trip commute, and occasionally during lunch.

Thanks all!

mega317

Re: Favorite investing/personal finance Audiobooks?

Post by mega317 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:12 pm

This isn’t a particularly helpful answer but I find finance books tough on audio because there are a lot of numbers and charts.

What are you going to do on your commute without audible?

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Actually prefer to just listen to music and some stations on XM radio, but did the initial audible subscription to get a book for free but ended up keeping too long (their plan).

I can always listen to them when I take a walk or before bed. Good point on graphs and charts. Wonder if there’s any that make sense. Otherwise I’ll just look for some personal improvement books or interesting biographies.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:39 pm

unstoppable wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 pm
Actually prefer to just listen to music and some stations on XM radio, but did the initial audible subscription to get a book for free but ended up keeping too long (their plan).

I can always listen to them when I take a walk or before bed. Good point on graphs and charts. Wonder if there’s any that make sense. Otherwise I’ll just look for some personal improvement books or interesting biographies.
unstoppable:

You might try listening to my latest book, "The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio." It is short and with limited graphs and charts. All royalties go directly to "The John C. Bogle Center For Financial Literacy."

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Boglehea ... lsrc=aw.ds

I would love to read a "Review" by an audio reader:

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

are_cynic

Post by are_cynic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm

All of Taleb’s books.

Not exactly a finance book, but The Rational Optimist by Matt Ridley is a nice antidote to the short sighted pessimism that pervades financial commentary today.
"Invert, always invert" ~Carl Jacobi

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:39 pm
unstoppable wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 pm

unstoppable:

You might try listening to my latest book, "The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio." It is short and with limited graphs and charts. All royalties go directly to "The John C. Bogle Center For Financial Literacy."

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Boglehea ... lsrc=aw.ds

I would love to read a "Review" by an audio reader:

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks, Taylor. I will buy it tomorrow as one of my picks. I’ve always admired your posts and all your helpful input. I’ve been a lurker for a long time.

Happy to do a review as well after!

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm

It’s been a while since I listened to it but I see the classic “where are the customer’s yachts” in my audible history. I finished it.

Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm

I enjoyed “How to make your money last: the indispensable retirement guide”, Jane Bryant Quinn.

“A Fine Mess: A Global Quest for a Simpler, Fairer, and More Efficient Tax System”, TR Reid

“A Random Walk down Wall Street”, Malkiel

“The Four Pillars of Investing”, Bernstein
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius