AQR Cuts Staff After a Bad Year (39 out of 41 funds down)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
hdas

AQR Cuts Staff After a Bad Year (39 out of 41 funds down)

Post by hdas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Heads are rolling. Don't get your hopes up, I don't think they are lowering the outrageous fees any time soon.
"At AQR, we have experienced record headcount growth over the past three years, including 2018", the company said in a statement. “Recent small reductions in headcount reflect the need to balance our workforce growth with the current needs of our business.”
Contrast this two pieces of information:

Mission Statement:
AQR is a global investment management firm dedicated to delivering results for our clients.
Bloomberg Reports:
Of 41 AQR mutual funds, only two had positive returns over the past year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Last edited by hdas on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

HippoSir

Re: AQR Cuts Staff After a Bad Year

Post by HippoSir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 pm

I wonder how much of this is poor performance and how much of it is credible, cheaper, and potentially even better constructed alternatives coming from Vanguard/Blackrock/etc (at least in terms of their factor funds).

columbia

Post by columbia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:38 am

Are they questionable at what they do or is what they do just questionable?

Topic Author
hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am

This article has more details of the debacle:
The firm-wide reductions will amount to a low single-digit percentage of the workforce, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Of 41 AQR mutual funds, only two had positive returns over the past year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. AQR’s U.S. mutual funds had outflows of $5 billion in the first 11 months of 2018, according to data from Morningstar Inc.
The worst performers at the Greenwich, Connecticut-based investment firm include the AQR Style Premia Alternative Fund, which is down more than 14 percent in the past year. The AQR Managed Futures Strategy Fund dropped almost 11 percent in that time frame, while another fund stripped "risk parity" from its name after redemptions. That change would allow for more leeway to bet against stocks and bonds, which could help navigate volatile markets.
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 am

hdas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am
AQR’s U.S. mutual funds had outflows of $5 billion in the first 11 months of 2018, according to data from Morningstar Inc.
Must be people who missed the part about sticking with a factor or alternative strategy through 10 or 20 years of under-performance. Probably thought they could make a quick buck off a new hot strategy based on a lot of fancy math.

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 am

Performance aside, I wonder how many AQR investors really understood the nature of the investments.

Isn't this about what one would expect from this fund over longer time periods?

QSPIX in BLUE

columbia

Post by columbia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am

RNJ wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 am
Performance aside, I wonder how many AQR investors really understood the nature of the investments.

QSPIX in BLUE

QSPIX owners would have been better off with Wellesley:
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100

Topic Author
hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 am

rkhusky wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 am
hdas wrote:
AQR’s U.S. mutual funds had outflows of $5 billion in the first 11 months of 2018, according to data from Morningstar Inc.
Must be people who missed the part about sticking with a factor or alternative strategy through 10 or 20 years of under-performance. Probably thought they could make a quick buck off a new hot strategy based on a lot of fancy math.
Why would they stick to something that it's going to change it's implementation midway anyways? See here

Regarding the Risk Parity debacle:
Starting January 30, 2019, the fund will change its name to the AQR Multi-Asset fund to reflect a shift in investment strategy.

As a result of the changes the fund will be able to gain equity exposure and engage in security selection through specific names as opposed to only through derivatives.

In addition, the fund will have greater flexibility in how it allocates money across various asset classes.

Whereas the fund previously sought ‘to balance the allocation of risk across asset classes,’ it will now allocate assets in a way that ‘avoids excessive risk exposure to any single asset class (e.g., equities, bonds, commodities) or risk premium (e.g., equity risk, duration risk, currency risk),’ according to the filing.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 am

hdas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 am
rkhusky wrote:
hdas wrote:
Why would they stick to something that it's going to change it's implementation midway anyways? See here

Starting January 30, 2019, the fund will change its name to the AQR Multi-Asset fund to reflect a shift in investment strategy.

As a result of the changes the fund will be able to gain equity exposure and engage in security selection through specific names as opposed to only through derivatives.

In addition, the fund will have greater flexibility in how it allocates money across various asset classes.

Whereas the fund previously sought ‘to balance the allocation of risk across asset classes,’ it will now allocate assets in a way that ‘avoids excessive risk exposure to any single asset class (e.g., equities, bonds, commodities) or risk premium (e.g., equity risk, duration risk, currency risk),’ according to the filing.
AQR losing money one year is no big deal. People pulling money out is normal after a bad year. AQR having to lay off people because of all the redemptions is not great, but understandable.

AQR changing their models and implementation (of only one fund so far) is HUGE. That means they don't have faith in at least one of their models anymore, and what they are SELLING is faith in their super-quant super-math super-tested-historically models
The J stands for Jay

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am

HomerJ wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 am
hdas wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
hdas wrote:

AQR losing money one year is no big deal. People pulling money out is normal after a bad year. AQR having to lay off people because of all the redemptions is not great, but understandable.

AQR changing their models and implementation (of only one fund so far) is HUGE. That means they don't have faith in at least one of their models anymore, and what they are SELLING is faith in their super-quant super-math super-tested-historically models
Interesting. I wonder if people are going to continue to assert that these are really passive funds.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 am

marcopolo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am
Interesting. I wonder if people are going to continue to assert that these are really passive funds.
I predict that people who say they advocate "passive investing," and also advocate the use of some of these funds, will continue to assert that those funds they advocate are "passive."
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am

RNJ wrote:

QSPIX in BLUE

They are marketed as reducing portfolio volatility, and yet went down more than the market when it dropped.

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am
RNJ wrote:

QSPIX in BLUE

They are marketed as reducing portfolio volatility, and yet went down more than the market when it dropped.
To be clear, I'm not advocating for the use of these funds or for AQR. I don't and wouldn't own them. My point was threefold: first, it's these are risk assets; second, for the factors to work for investors (in theory, anyway), they must be held for long periods of time; third, one of the functions of this particular fund is to have a low correlation to other asset classes. A PortfolioVisualuzer look at QSPIX vs short and intermediate treasuries and total stock market funds demonstrates that the fund fulfills that mandate.

Investors got what they signed up for (including high fees). They just may not have read or understood the fine print.

nedsaid

Re: AQR Cuts Staff After a Bad Year (39 out of 41 funds down)

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am

In fairness to AQR, 2018 was a bad year in the investment markets. Bonds barely were in the plus column and pretty much everything else other than cash was down. The AQR funds would have done better if they just sat in cash.
A fool and his money are good for business.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am
In fairness to AQR, 2018 was a bad year in the investment markets.
It was, but many of their super-fancy funds got destroyed by the old stodgy SP500 index fund by 10%.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am
nedsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am
In fairness to AQR, 2018 was a bad year in the investment markets.
It was, but many of their super-fancy funds got destroyed by the old stodgy SP500 index fund by 10%.
What I will say is that volatile markets should have been a great opportunity for alt funds to show their stuff and the performance seemed pretty disappointing. It goes to show you that asset classes don't have to perform according to investor expectations, in the short run about anything can happen and it did.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

I have as much schadenfreude as the next guy, but don't see this as a big deal, and probably wouldn't have taken any particular notice of it if some people hadn't been so enthusiastic about certain AQR funds in this forum. On any given day if stocks went down and QSPIX/QSPRX/QSPNX went up, we had a tendency to hear about it.

I mean, I don't pay a lot of attention to other funds and fund companies if people aren't pushing them as better than Vanguard.

It probably wasn't good for Janus to become "Janus Henderson," I dunno... but I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been looking to see how Bill Gross' new bond fund was doing.

How is it doing, by the way?

Source

Blue = JUCIX, Janus Henderson Global Unconstrained Bond Fund; manager, Bill Gross
Orange = VBTLX, Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund
Green = PTTRX, PIMCO Total Return Bond Fund, the one that investors dumped 2/3rds of when Bill Gross left it

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm
I have as much schadenfreude as the next guy, but don't see this as a big deal, and probably wouldn't have taken any particular notice of it if some people hadn't been so enthusiastic about certain AQR funds in this forum. On any given day if stocks went down and QSPIX/QSPRX/QSPNX went up, we had a tendency to hear about it.

I mean, I don't pay a lot of attention to other funds and fund companies if people aren't pushing them as better than Vanguard.

It probably wasn't good for Janus to become "Janus Henderson," I dunno... but I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been looking to see how Bill Gross' new bond fund was doing.

How is it doing, by the way?

Source

Blue = JUCIX, Janus Henderson Global Unconstrained Bond Fund; manager, Bill Gross
Orange = VBTLX, Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund
Green = PTTRX, PIMCO Total Return Bond Fund, the one that investors dumped 2/3rds of when Bill Gross left it

Fair enough, but 2 points:

1.) Those ppl don't have an army of apologist peddling their funds regardless of performance/fees in this forum and in the general press.
2.) Don't you think it's significant that they sell something based on "robust evidence" and have to change it half way to something else like it's the case of the Risk Parity fund?

Cheers :greedy

Tamalak

Post by Tamalak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm

(39 out of 41 funds down)
3 out of 3 of my funds were down this year, so I'm in no position to throw stones at active investors :D

(I did not, however, lay off any of my 1 employees)
Last edited by Tamalak on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm

HomerJ wrote:
hdas wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
hdas wrote:

Even if you buy into active funds, this is probably the final downfall. Inevitably any strategy will have down years, and when that happens there is pressure to change the strategy, and fund managers usually succumb to that pressure. Which begs the question as to why go with active in the first place if they can't stick with their supposedly superior strategy?

Having said all that having 39 or 41 funds down last year isn't unusual. Almost everythjng was down. I posted a thread a while ago that last year was one of the worst investing years ever, in terms of the breadth of investment categories (however you define them) that were down. I was reminded repeatedly that in absolute and relative terms the losses were historically moderate, which is definitely true, and definitely not the point of the referenced article.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm

hdas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm
...2.) Don't you think it's significant that they sell something based on "robust evidence" and have to change it half way to something else like it's the case of the Risk Parity fund?...
Yes. Thanks for spotting that. I thought it was interesting.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

hdas wrote:

1.) Those ppl don't have an army of apologist peddling their funds regardless of performance/fees in this forum and in the general press.
2.) Don't you think it's significant that they sell something based on "robust evidence" and have to change it half way to something else like it's the case of the Risk Parity fund?

Exactly. I always believed it takes a special kind of snake oil to rope in a Boglehead. We are long past being attracted to the hot shot managers, but somehow many still get sucked into "academic evidence" based products regardless of fees (see most commodity futures funds, AQR, Stone Ridge). As passive investing takes off, fund managers are going to try new tactics to overcharge us. In a sense, Bogle's mission to drive down costs and give individual investors a fair chance is always going to be alive and well and it's always important to maintain skepticism towards any high-cost funds that promise to beat the market. Yea, I know, AQR wasn't planning to beat the market but was rather "accessing risk premia"... again, a special kind of snake oil.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

People who are criticizing the change in strategy for the Risk Parity Fund (AQRIX): do you realize the AQR has two other funds with literally the same investment approach, according to their web site, that are not changing? Embedded later in the article that was linked, "The firm offers separately managed accounts and other risk parity mutual funds, including the $70.2 million AQR Risk Parity II MV fund and the $27.3 million AQR Risk Parity II HV fund." See if you can spot the difference in the investment approach!

Risk Parity Fund (AQRIX)
Risk parity is all about diversification. Whereas traditional portfolios focus on dollar-based allocation, risk parity portfolios focus on risk-based allocation.

AQR's Risk Parity Fund invests globally across stocks, bonds, currencies and commodities, allocating smaller amounts of capital to assets that are risky and larger amounts to assets that are less risky.

In building the portfolio, we seek assets that we believe are liquid and provide either a positive expected return or some portfolio diversification benefit over the long term.

We target balanced risk allocation across the four asset classes, but we have the ability to exploit tactical opportunities by making modest adjustments, or “tilts,” toward assets that we believe are relatively attractive and away from ones we believe are less attractive.

We believe that by spreading risks in a more balanced manner, and adapting to market conditions, the Fund can generate more stable returns over time than traditional approaches.
Risk Parity II MV Fund (QRMIX)
Risk parity is all about diversification. Whereas traditional portfolios focus on dollar-based allocation, risk parity portfolios focus on risk-based allocation.

AQR's Risk Parity II MV Fund invests globally across equity, fixed income and inflation-sensitive assets, allocating smaller amounts of capital to assets that are risky and larger amounts to assets that are less risky.

In building the portfolio, we seek assets that we believe are liquid and provide either a positive expected return or some portfolio diversification benefit over the long term.

We target balanced risk allocation across the three asset groups, but we have the ability to exploit tactical opportunities by making modest adjustments, or “tilts,” toward assets that we believe are relatively attractive and away from ones we believe are less attractive.

We believe that by spreading risks in a more balanced manner, and adapting to market conditions, the Fund can generate more stable returns over time than traditional approaches.
Risk Parity II HV Fund (QRHIX)

AQR's Risk Parity II HV Fund invests globally across equity, fixed income and inflation-sensitive assets, allocating smaller amounts of capital to assets that are risky and larger amounts to assets that are less risky.

We target balanced risk allocation across the three asset groups, but we have the ability to exploit tactical opportunities by making modest adjustments, or “tilts,” toward assets that we believe are relatively attractive and away from ones we believe are less attractive.

We believe that by spreading risks in a more balanced manner, and adapting to market conditions, the Fund can generate more stable returns over time than traditional approaches. As noted above, the Fund's strategy targets 15% annual volatility.
Please, have some intellectual honesty or at least read the article before claiming that AQR does not believe in their models, this is a grave concern, etc.

Disclosure: I do not hold any of the risk parity funds. 100% of my IRA is in QSPIX, QSMLX, QICLX, and QEELX, which are the Style Premia Alternative Fund and three multi-style long equity funds for different world regions.

Topic Author
hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm
People who are criticizing the change in strategy for the Risk Parity Fund (AQRIX): do you realize the AQR has two other funds with literally the same investment approach, according to their web site, that are not changing? Embedded later in the article that was linked, "The firm offers separately managed accounts and other risk parity mutual funds, including the $70.2 million AQR Risk Parity II MV fund and the $27.3 million AQR Risk Parity II HV fund." See if you can spot the difference in the investment approach!

Please, have some intellectual honesty or at least read the article before claiming that AQR does not believe in their models, this is a grave concern, etc.

Disclosure: I do not hold any of the risk parity funds. 100% of my IRA is in QSPIX, QSMLX, QICLX, and QEELX, which are the Style Premia Alternative Fund and three multi-style long equity funds for different world regions.
Mr. Ketawa,
Along the same lines, given the disparity in AUM between those 3 funds. The firm basically reduced their Risk Parity Strategy from ~380 million to ~120 million, or to less than 1/3. That doesn't signal belief in their own models. Good luck with your investments.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Meh. Value, size, momentum and market factor all had a bad year. I don't have a particular beef with AQR other than I think some of their funds are too expensive for what they are doing. Long short portfolios are more expensive to run, but they also have long only portfolios that they charge too much to run.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 pm

hdas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm
Mr. Ketawa,
Along the same lines, given the disparity in AUM between those 3 funds. The firm basically reduced their Risk Parity Strategy from ~380 million to ~120 million, or to less than 1/3. That doesn't signal belief in one's models. Good luck with your investments.

From the links you provided, this sounds like a technical change in how they implement the risk parity strategy and not what you are claiming, abandoning the strategy for $260 million of their assets.
As a result of the changes the fund will be able to gain equity exposure and engage in security selection through specific names as opposed to only through derivatives. [...] Whereas the fund previously sought ‘to balance the allocation of risk across asset classes,’ it will now allocate assets in a way that ‘avoids excessive risk exposure to any single asset class (e.g., equities, bonds, commodities) or risk premium (e.g., equity risk, duration risk, currency risk),’ according to the filing.
They will be able to hold securities instead of derivatives, and they will modify the way they allocate risk across the same strategies and asset classes in such a way that I can't even tell the difference.

Post by 2015 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm
hdas wrote:

Exactly. I always believed it takes a special kind of snake oil to rope in a Boglehead. We are long past being attracted to the hot shot managers, but somehow many still get sucked into "academic evidence" based products regardless of fees (see most commodity futures funds, AQR, Stone Ridge). As passive investing takes off, fund managers are going to try new tactics to overcharge us. In a sense, Bogle's mission to drive down costs and give individual investors a fair chance is always going to be alive and well and it's always important to maintain skepticism towards any high-cost funds that promise to beat the market. Yea, I know, AQR wasn't planning to beat the market but was rather "accessing risk premia"... again, a special kind of snake oil.
Really? From where I sit lots of BH's fall for all manner of snake oil, or at least narrative. Witness the fire hose of links here to academics, bloggers, yet another book from an "expert", charts, graphs, analysis, new "studies", all using all kinds of obfuscating terminology and smoky pattern mirages to make the simple complex. Que bono all of this "information"? The man doesn't have to be wearing the proverbial cheap white suit to be selling bottles of Dr. Financial Feelgood.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm
People who are criticizing the change in strategy for the Risk Parity Fund (AQRIX): do you realize the AQR has two other funds with literally the same investment approach, according to their web site, that are not changing?
Why do three of their funds have literally the same investment approach?

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm
I always believed it takes a special kind of snake oil to rope in a Boglehead.
:sharebeer

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm

HomerJ wrote:
hdas wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
hdas wrote:

I have faith in the simple time tested three or four fund model. Keep your super quant fancy dancy easy oeazy understand nothing models away from me.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Tamalak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm
We're glad you didn't end up out on the street. :wink:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:22 pm

David Jay wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Tamalak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm
We're glad you didn't end up out on the street. :wink:
Whaat kind of separation package would your 1 employee get?
Don't do something, just stand there!