Hoppy - Thank you for your reply! It makes it a bit less frustrating when there is someone else out there who has been frustrated by the same thing.
You probably saw it, but over on your thread, I think beebog may have solved the mystery.
For other people who may want to know, here's an excerpt from what beebog wrote: ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=241923#p4311804
When I went to move everything back to the HSA side, I called SaveDaily first and the person on the phone told me to wait because the maintenance fee was in progress for the month and because of that the interface would limit me to only be able transfer 90%. I waited until the day after I saw the $2.90 deduction post and there was nothing pending in the transactions, then I attempted to move everything.
My $2.90 fee posted on 1/5/2019 (a Saturday), but had a status of "Complete**" until about 7pm today (1/10), when it switched to "Complete." Poking around the web site, I found this
Completed * - after a transaction is successfully executed it is placed in a status of "Completed *". The asterisk is intended to indicate that the transaction is considered successfully processed pending any possible future failure. For example, if the transaction were a request to purchase mutual fund shares our system would execute the order at the next market close and issue an ACH money transfer request that evening. If this request fails due to "Insufficient Funds", for example, a transaction that was thought to be complete will in fact fail.
Given that they had already successfully (on 1/7/2019) sold the shares necessary to get the $2.90 and deducted the $2.90 from the "Available Balance" on my account, who knows what they were waiting for, but... whatever.
The status on the $2.90 finally switched from "Complete**" to "Complete" about 7pm today (1/10), so
I'll try again tomorrow and see if it will let me move the last bit.
Meanwhile, I attempted to move another 90% today. In addition to the previously reported error messages, it entertained me with a new one:
- It let me redeem 90% of two funds that had about $40 left in them, leaving approx $4 in each.
- It "accepted" my submission to sell 90% of the third fund, which had about $200 left in it, which would have left a balance of about $20. Three hours later, a while after their 2pm eastern submission deadline, they reversed the "accepted" to "failed" giving the reason that
No Funds In Investment Available . . . The transaction failed because the amount redeemed or exchanged exceeded the available amount.
Well ... that reason is completely inaccurate. Their computer initially had completely agreed that I had asked for less than 90% of the funds to be withdrawn. (And the market was up today.) I suspect it had something to do with that being the fund that is used to obtain the $2.90 monthly fee and that fee transaction still being in the "Competed**" state, even though that fee had already been subtracted from the available balance ... and even though there would still be approx $20 left if they let the redemption request go through. I'm not sure why the "fail" kicked in on the third day I tried to redeem 90% and everything was fine on the first two days of redeeming 90%. Probably hit some invisible balance minimum or something.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Something that other people might want to keep in mind:
I was expecting this whole transfer to take quite a while, so, in order to avoid being out of the market, I was doing a switch-a-roo between stocks/cash in my HSA and bonds/stocks in my Roth IRA.
So after SaveDaily showed a status of "accepted" for the $180 redemption of Total Stock Market, I went over to my Roth IRA at Vanguard and exchanged $180 of bonds for Total Stock Market. But then the HSA side of the switch-a-roo failed, but the Vanguard transaction went through.
Not a big deal for $180, but I'm glad the first 90% transaction of Total Stock Market of around $15,000 went through fine on both sides.
Other people attempting the "stay in the market" switch-a-roo might want to....
- submit the SaveDaily side of the transaction before their 2pm eastern deadline
- wait until around 3:30pm - 3:45pm (eastern), go over to SaveDaily and make sure the "accepted" transaction didn't switch to a "failed" status
- then (assuming your "main" broker accepts transactions until 4pm), go over to your IRA (or wherever) and submit that side of the transaction, assuming your broker for that side of the transaction accepts submissions until 4pm.