Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
dwickenh

Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pm

I just received my copy of Larry's new book from Amazon on the porch 10 minutes ago. No report on the contents yet,
but I am going to start into it tonight. A link below for any interested parties.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-S ... dpSrc=srch
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Broken Man 1999

Re: Larry's new book THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO A SUCCESSFUL & SECURE RETIREMENT

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info!

Ordered. I've enjoyed reading and have learned a bunch from Larry's books, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy and learn something new from this one as well.

I like his style of writing very much.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

cody69

Post by cody69 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm

I've been waiting for this book to come out and purchased the Kindle version yesterday when it was available.
Have read the first few chapters and I am liking the contents. Not a surprise as I've read most if not all his prior books and have learned a lot.
With some trans-continental flights coming up will have time to read it entirely, will post back once I've gotten through all of it.

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Preordered the Kindle edition a few weeks back and saw where it arrived the other day, but haven’t started it yet! I’ve never read any of his books, just his articles online, so I’m looking forward to it.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:55 pm

I heard Larry today on the Stacking Benjamins podcast. He talked a little about the book and why he wrote it.... plenty of good advice, and looking forward to reading it myself.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Post by Jiu Jitsu Fighter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees. It is at a level that most people that have somewhat of an interest in personal finance will have no trouble with the concepts. I always had hoped that Larry would write an advanced book on par with Antti Ilmanen's Expected Returns, but I know Larry likes to reach the broadest audience possible.

Five stars like the rest of his books.

sixtyforty

Re: Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees. It is at a level that most people that have somewhat of an interest in personal finance will have no trouble with the concepts. I always had hoped that Larry would write an advanced book on par with Antti Ilmanen's Expected Returns, but I know Larry likes to reach the broadest audience possible.

Five stars like the rest of his books.
It sounds like an interesting book. Did he get into withdrawal strategies ? Specifically, which accounts (tax or tax deferred) to draw from first, how much to withdraw from based on market conditions, whether to withdraw from bonds first or keep a balanced portfolio, best allocations for retirement etc etc ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees.
That's fantastic (IMO) because relative to information on planning for retirement for those years or decades away, there is much less credible detailed content for those managing and living off their money when in retirement. I'm starting McClung's "Living off your Money" book this week and will add Larry's book to my reading list. 2019 is messy for us due to some significant post-employment lump-sum income, DW still working for part of the year etc. but I hope to have a detailed plan well in place well before 2020 when we will be 100% on retirement income streams.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:25 pm

I'm in the process of reading the book and want to give this thread a bump.

While Larry has written about this topic before, I found his chapter on asset allocation and risk (Chapter 3) to be especially insightful. New to me was his fairly detailed interjection of "labor capital" into the ability to take risk discussion. Also interesting was his distinction between "risk" and "uncertainty."

Now back to the book.

OregonDucksFan

Post by OregonDucksFan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:41 pm

This is a very comprehensive book, highly recommended. Includes chapters on finding purpose, investing, tax planning (HSA, IRA, 401k), insurance, social security, medicare, draw down strategy, estate planning. The non-investing chapters (65% of the book) make the book comprehensive. This is geared towards those both in and not yet in retirement.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am

For anyone interested in the St. Louis, Mo. area - Larry will be speaking about the new retirement book at the St. Charles County Library - Spencer Road Branch @ 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 11, 2019.

Address: 427 Spencer Road - St. Peters, MO. 63376-2420
Phone: (636) 441-0794

The announcement is kind of buried in the library's calendar - blurb: Achieving the retirement life of your dreams requires planning. To support the steps you’re taking, Buckingham’s Larry Swedroe and Kevin Grogan have co-authored “Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement,” which they will discuss. As an added bonus, one of the book’s contributors, Katie Keary, will address retirement concerns that are specific to women. Bring your questions and be part of this lively discussion.

I happened to be at an author talk their on Tues. and they announced upcoming author-talks.

Evelyn

Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Post by Jiu Jitsu Fighter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:42 am

EvelynTroy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am
For anyone interested in the St. Louis, Mo. area - Larry will be speaking about the new retirement book at the St. Charles County Library - Spencer Road Branch @ 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 11, 2019.

Address: 427 Spencer Road - St. Peters, MO. 63376-2420
Phone: (636) 441-0794

The announcement is kind of buried in the library's calendar - blurb: Achieving the retirement life of your dreams requires planning. To support the steps you’re taking, Buckingham’s Larry Swedroe and Kevin Grogan have co-authored “Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement,” which they will discuss. As an added bonus, one of the book’s contributors, Katie Keary, will address retirement concerns that are specific to women. Bring your questions and be part of this lively discussion.

I happened to be at an author talk their on Tues. and they announced upcoming author-talks.

Evelyn
Old boy will be speaking at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters on the evening of Tuesday, April 9 as well.

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm reading the Forward now. This seems to be just what I was looking for.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I checked this book out of the library and found it aimed at a pretty sophisticated investors. It isn't that Larry uses words without defining them, he defines them and then uses them liberally. Words like asset allocation, diversification, correlation, etc. I had no trouble with them, buy people new to retirement investing might.

The book isn't just for retirees. It has sections on accumulating, investing, and decumulating. There is talk of Larry's favorite investment plan (lots of bonds and various small caps), as well as, other allocation methods.

The decumulation part is equally well covered. While not as complete a treatment as McClung's book, it has lots of good information. I didn't change anything after reading it, but if I was new to any of the topics it covered I would have learned a lot and likely made some changes.

I would recommend it highly.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

packer16

Post by packer16 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

This is a very good book. It is reflection of Larry's skill at describing complex financial issue in easy to understand language. The perspective is unique for a financial book as it focuses on the non-financial as well as the financial aspects of retirement. One measure for me of how good a book is how many dog ears do I have in the book. Larry's book wins this metric for 2018 for me. There was very useful data/financial frameworks in this book despite my disagreement with Larry in factor investing. So even if you do not agree with factor investing, you will get alot out of this book.

Packer
Last edited by packer16 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy cheap and something good might happen

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:00 pm

just ordered. thank for the tip.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 am

Big Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:00 pm
just ordered. thank for the tip.
Same here. Just now reading the first chapter, seems like a good primer for the already moderately informed wanting to "fill in the corners" of their knowledge. Very timely for me, since I'm within 2-10 years of retirement.
No planet, no business. Earth bats last.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 am

Peter Foley wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:25 pm
While Larry has written about this topic before, I found his chapter on asset allocation and risk (Chapter 3) to be especially insightful. New to me was his fairly detailed interjection of "labor capital" into the ability to take risk discussion.
I liked that chapter as well - and the thinking was also new to me. Found our our dual income from human capital is currently 47% equity like and 53% bond like.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:05 am

Glad to hear readers finding the book helpful. And remember that I'm always happy to answer questions from readers. Just email me at lswedroe@bamadvisor.com
Best wishes
Larry
PS_ and for those St. Louis area diehards I will be at the Frontenac Library on April 9 630-8 and the St. Charles library on the 11th from 7-830, along with Kevin Grogan both dates and Katie Keary who helped write the chapter on women's issues on the 11th. Come up and say hello.

Taj_Mahalo

Post by Taj_Mahalo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am

Would those of you who have read or are currently reading the book recommend it to a younger investor in the accumulation phase? Thanks!
Income is not wealth. Wealth is not income. Both are equally as important and either is capable of producing the other.

DaufuskieNate

Post by DaufuskieNate » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:29 am

Taj_Mahalo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am
Would those of you who have read or are currently reading the book recommend it to a younger investor in the accumulation phase? Thanks!
I would definitely recommend this book to younger investors who are accumulating funds for retirement. The more one knows about the "end game" the better one can play the early innings.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Taj_Mahalo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am
Yes! Why? Because setting one's path up for retirement begins when a young investor starts in the work force and begins investing. A lot of the subject matters covered in the book are appropriate to start thinking about very early on. Asset allocation, SS, pension, human capital, taxes, longevity, as well as preparing for what happens mentally/socially in the semi-retirement/retirement phases, etc... .

Having been through a layoff in my 50's, I can attest to the preventive maintenance in the decades leading up to that to prepare for a variety of options (job loss, health, career change, early retirement, etc...). This book would make an excellent member of one's library for all of those reasons. Especially since one of the main goals that we invest and save for, is the retirement phase. Knowing the end game goal and what to expect, look for, observe is beneficial early on in the journey.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Taj_Mahalo

Post by Taj_Mahalo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you, DaufuskieNate and CyclingDuo! Sounds like it would be a great edition to my reading list. Finishing up Bogle's Stay the Course and then Clement's From Here to Financial Happiness. I really enjoy reading these books so I'm glad I came across this thread.
Income is not wealth. Wealth is not income. Both are equally as important and either is capable of producing the other.