Again, I meant to get this up earlier, but this is the thread for the 2019 hedge fund contest. You can find the previous year's contest (2018) here:
- Pick a fancy name for your hedge fund.
- Before 9:30 am EST on 7 Jan 2019, in this thread, pick up to three stocks to go long and up to three to short. Equal dollar amounts are placed on each position, long or short.
- Opening prices will be based on Jan 7th close.
- No trades during the year, except that you can elect at any time during normal exchange business hours to "freeze" a price for any individual position at that day's closing price, i.e. liquidate any position. (Each position carries this option; you can choose to freeze different positions on different days.) Other than that, you're stuck with what you choose for the year.
- If a stock is taken out in a merger or a bankruptcy during 2019, we will do our best to do the right thing. An all cash offer will result in a freeze at the takeout price. An all stock offer will result in the conversion of the position to the acquiring company's shares. Mixed cash and stock offers, you'll just have to trust me to saw things off fairly.
- The universe from which to choose is the Russell 3000
If you pick shares not on this list and it's not caught and corrected before the deadline, your portfolio will be disqualified.
Dividends will not be counted.
Like last year, Tanelorn will be providing fixes and commentary as the year goes on.