Fidelity beating vanguard now? switch to Fidelity?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Vanguard is Falling Behind Compared to Fidelity

Post by RadAudit »

Bogle64Pilot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:59 am At Vanguard it doesn’t matter if you’re a HNW individual or not they treat you like sheep.
Well, at least they treat us all the same. :)
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

chrisjul wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 am
I agree. Vanguard customer service has slipped badly over the last 3 years or so.
I also agree. I also have accounts at both but it seems FIDO is doing more to earn your business. With Vanguard you get NO action. With Vanguard I had to MAIL a transfer request 3 times and it was NEVER was Sent to Jackson. I believe that VG management doesn't know or Care what's going on. I finally gave up and called Fido and they helped me fill out the form and ..No you don't need to mail it, just scan it and FAX it to Fidelity. There was a Jr. on one account so they emailed me another form to fill out to scan and FAX it to them. The transfer was sent to Jackson and is now COMPLETE.

Problem with moving it all to Fido is there are some Vanguard Funds ( 2 examples Wellington and Wellesley) that you can not buy or transfer to FIDO. The ETF charge of $5 is not a deal killer like the $75 to purchase MF's. If you transfer enough Fido will give you plenty of FREE trades that last 2 years. I plan on transferring my VG Brokerage Account that is all VFIAX to FIDO once i figure out the best time to do it.
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

H-Town wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:31 am I wouldn't enjoy seeing anyone bending over backwards for my benefits.
I didn't ask or need Vanguard to bend over for me ....After waiting over 3 WEEKS trying to get a transfer sent, I just wanted Vanguard to do something.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Most of my funds are Vanguard and I plan to keep it that way. So if anything, I have a bias towards them. I also hold Bogle in high regard.

But as a brokerage, Vanguard is just not up to snuff. I had a really horrible experience with them and left. I also thought their platform was about 20 years out of date.

FWIW, Vanguard has a major headquarters in my state, a good friend of mine worked their as a manager and was pretty sour on the operation. Maybe just typical griping, but he said their salary was just way lower than other brokerage operations and left.

Most brokerages will give you PLENTY of free trades if you switch over. And I don't exclusively want only Vanguard funds anyway, with the free trades and free ETFs at other places, it's basically a wash in terms of out-of-pocket costs. If I can get a better experience for basically the cost of going out to eat once a year, that's a no brainer.

I had really good experiences with Schwab and Fidelity. The worst brokerage experience I had was at Wells Fargo, so at least Vanguard wins that contest.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Bogle64Pilot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 am
lostdog wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:30 am Are you an active investor?
No, I’m such a die hard boglehead I’m not even 3 fund. I’m only 1 fund TSM (ITOT, VTSAX).
Cool. The Fidelity UI is pretty awesome though.

I just wouldn't use all the bells and whistles for what I do. I just login to Vanguard and contribute to my brokerage account every few weeks. That's about it.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

brcarls wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:14 am
wootwoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 am Funny you should mention this. My company 401k is through Fidelity Netbenefits and their phone app for Android is hot garbage. It's ugly, the navigation is clunky, and most of the links take you to the website rather than providing mobile content. Vanguard has none of these problems and while their app isn't the slickest thing out there it easily destroys Fidelity's.
The Fidelity Netbenefits UI is terrible, worse than Vanguard in my opinion. Their normal UI is fantastic, but I guess all the restrictions imposed by each individual employers 401k plan make it easier to stick to the crappy Netbenefits UI instead of the full featured UI you get with a personal account.
I like the Netbenefits UI. Shows how different folks perceive things differently.
latebloomer2

Post by latebloomer2 »

Bogle64 pilot

If you feel that way about Vanguard why are you waiting and posting that here?
move to Fidelity and solve your big problem. Me I am with Vanguard they have
been fantastic for me only been 7 years but totally happy and doing well
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

What is the purpose of this thread? Why not just move your money?
latebloomer2

Post by latebloomer2 »

+1 very well said
student

Post by student »

Overall, I found Fidelity customer service better than Vanguard but Vanguard is ok too. The only major advantage from my perspective is Fidelity has 24/7 customer service. Vote with you feet. If you feel Fidelity is giving you better value, you should move.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I removed a post containing a snarky comment directed at another member, along with a couple of posts which quoted it. See General Etiquette:
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

My Fidelity CMA with brokerage (so my direct deposits earn top interest, $0 in CMA) has been life changing, no more separate savings. Still have my taxable equity at VG as I like the commission free ETF trading. Have thought about consolidating but need to see if I can get equivalent funds and reinvest existing ones fee-free.
HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA »

MotoTrojan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:51 pm My Fidelity CMA with brokerage (so my direct deposits earn top interest, $0 in CMA) has been life changing, no more separate savings. Still have my taxable equity at VG as I like the commission free ETF trading. Have thought about consolidating but need to see if I can get equivalent funds and reinvest existing ones fee-free.
I recently consolidated almost all of my accounts to fidelity. The CMA is really excellent. I like the app and website, started using FZROX in our IRAs, and will be moving HSA over at the end of the year. Also use fidelity Visa, so really a one stop shop for all of my needs.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Fidelity gets all of our new money. One huge advantage: they have an office a mile from our home.

When my father recently passed away, Vanguard PAS fired my mother as a client and handed her a bill. Not much more I need to know about Vanguard’s customer service.
William4u

Post by William4u »

Loved Vanguard when they had the VanguardAdvantage CMA service. Vanguard's closing that really annoyed us. It was a great service. That closure pushed us to Fidelity's CMA service, which is good (albeit with lower MM rates than Vanguard). We will probably slowly move our assets from Vanguard to Fidelity as a result. We are advising some family members to do the same.
The Casualty

Post by The Casualty »

Been with Vanguard for 35 + years but recently moved most of our assets to Fidelity. I wanted to be able to name TOD beneficiaries on
joint accounts but guess that was taken away as well. Not a problem at Fidelity. I had been working with our VG personal advisor to work around this but when I told her I would not consider moving any more assets to VG because of the TOD policy, Boom ! next day she disappeared from my home page.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Fidelity beating vanguard now? switch to Fidelity?

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged threads by Randtor, Lyrrad, and Bogle64Pilot into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Jimsad wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:41 am Hi
I just saw on Fidelity web site that they now have four zero index funds and they listed all their other index funds and ETF having lower expense ratios than corresponding funds and are openly saying they are better than Vanguard.
I have most of my investments in vanguard funds at vanguard.
Am I losing out a lot by not switching ?
What are others doing?
We are not switching. Vanguard funds are more tax-efficient, which is important for our taxable account. We use a small-cap value tilt in our portfolio, and Fidelity does not offer a small-cap value index fund. Vanguard money market funds pay a higher yield.

Tiny differences in expense ratios (a couple hundredths of a percent) can make only a tiny difference. Do the calculation. How much in dollars might that be annually for your portfolio?

All of our investing accounts are with Vanguard, and all of our investments are Vanguard index funds.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am We are not switching. Vanguard funds are more tax-efficient, which is important for our taxable account. We use a small-cap value tilt in our portfolio, and Fidelity does not offer a small-cap value index fund. Vanguard money market funds pay a higher yield.
FYI: Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund FISVX
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /31635T773

Though I still prefer to use iShares ETFs in taxable since they are more tax efficient.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

mervinj7 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:50 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am We are not switching. Vanguard funds are more tax-efficient, which is important for our taxable account. We use a small-cap value tilt in our portfolio, and Fidelity does not offer a small-cap value index fund. Vanguard money market funds pay a higher yield.

Though I still prefer to use iShares ETFs in taxable since they are more tax efficient.
Thanks for the information.

I was not aware of Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund (FISVX), it's very new, the fund is only one month old. The fund apparently uses the Russell 2000® Value Index.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:04 pm What is the purpose of this thread? Why not just move your money?
Thank you!

This is a perennial thread topic, and each one starts with someone thinking they’re iconoclastic in daring to criticize Vanguard on the BH site (remember, it’s not a Vanguard site).

Our taxable accounts, Roth , and some rollover IRA’s are at Vanguard and DW’s 401k at Fidelity. They have strengths and weakness, but I moderately prefer Vanguard’s web site. I also appreciate not paying for some’s customer service call shortly after midnight on Christmas (really? I understand about offshore CS and time zones and different cultures and I’m not religious and all, but still, really? ).

Vote with your wallet, the sooner the better as far as I’m concerned.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am
mervinj7 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks for the information.

I was not aware of Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund (FISVX), it's very new, the fund is only one month old. The fund apparently uses the Russell 2000® Value Index.
Fidelity recently added mid cap growth, mid cap value, small cap growth and small cap value specific index funds in addition to the total mid and small cap blend index funds. Very comprehensive options now. You can slice and dice to your index hearts content with Fidelity. For me I only bother with FXAIX (Fidelity 500 index fund) and am very pleased.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett