ableBanking 1 and 2 Year CDs are among highest APY

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
mptness

ableBanking 1 and 2 Year CDs are among highest APY

Post by mptness »

ableBanking 1-year CD at 2.9% and 2-year CD at 3.2%. This is considerably more than brokered CDs of similar term.
Anyone have experience with ableBanking?
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/a ... ng/offers/
Last edited by mptness on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Re: ableBanking 1 and 2 Year CDs are among highest APY

Post by whodidntante »

Did you mean 2.9% on the one year CD?
Topic Author
mptness

Post by mptness »

Yes. 2.9 for 1 year. Fixed. Thanks
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

I have no experience with ableBanking but I just today opened a 14-month 2.85% CD with Ally, a bank with which I have much experience and trust.
HawkeyeMike

Post by HawkeyeMike »

Jeff
Help me out please, I have several CD’s with Ally and I can’t find the 14 month offering on their website
Thanks
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Able Banking is an annoying bank. Every single time I travel outside of my home state and log into Able - I get a phone call and email from their "security" department telling me to call them immediately. I do only to find out they think it was someone else trying to access my account. I'm on Xmas holiday in the US - and they are calling me. I'm on Spring Break in the US and they are calling me. This happens over and over. Most annoying bank ever. Not worth the extra basis points imo.
BH contests: 2020 #253 of 664 | 19 #233 of 645 | 18 #150 of 493 | 17 #516 of 647 | 16 #121 of 610 | 15 #18 of 552 | 14 #225 of 503 | 13 #383 of 433 | 12 #366 of 410 | 11 #113 of 369 | 10 #53 of 282
goaties

Post by goaties »

HawkeyeMike wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 am Jeff
Help me out please, I have several CD’s with Ally and I can’t find the 14 month offering on their website
Thanks
It's well-hidden. Simply log in and click your way through to "open an account". It will be offered to you in the pulldown list of CDs available. One perk of being a current customer, I guess.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

goaties wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 am
HawkeyeMike wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 am Jeff
Thanks
It's well-hidden. Simply log in and click your way through to "open an account". It will be offered to you in the pulldown list of CDs available. One perk of being a current customer, I guess.
Yes, goaties is correct......it was somewhat difficult to find the 14-month offer. Another oddity I had was when I tried to open a second 14-month CD as a joint holder with my wife (the first one was a single owner) I got a notification that the second application was "under review" and that they would get back to me in 3 to 5 business days on whether they would accept the application. That certainly surprised me........maybe they have had too much demand for this product and are pulling back on the offer? I will update when I hear back from them.
Topic Author
mptness

Post by mptness »

sperry8 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 am Able Banking is an annoying bank. Every single time I travel outside of my home state and log into Able - I get a phone call and email from their "security" department telling me to call them immediately. I do only to find out they think it was someone else trying to access my account. I'm on Xmas holiday in the US - and they are calling me. I'm on Spring Break in the US and they are calling me. This happens over and over. Most annoying bank ever. Not worth the extra basis points imo.
Thanks for the feedback. This shouldn't be a problem for me, as I don't intend to log in often. Do they annoy you in other ways? I would want the ability to easily transfer to my primary (Ally) bank when the CD matures.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

sperry8 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 am Able Banking is an annoying bank. Every single time I travel outside of my home state and log into Able - I get a phone call and email from their "security" department telling me to call them immediately. I do only to find out they think it was someone else trying to access my account. I'm on Xmas holiday in the US - and they are calling me. I'm on Spring Break in the US and they are calling me. This happens over and over. Most annoying bank ever. Not worth the extra basis points imo.
That's annoying. Although Fidelity did freak out on me and lock out all of my accounts when I placed a trade from Europe once. I use a VPN if I do that now. Most "security" measures I encounter are oriented towards protecting the financial institution, not me.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

mptness wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 am
Thanks for the feedback. This shouldn't be a problem for me, as I don't intend to log in often. Do they annoy you in other ways? I would want the ability to easily transfer to my primary (Ally) bank when the CD matures.
That is the only annoying issue. I travel often and so for me, it's a tough issue. As for transfers to/from Ally they are seamless. Using Ally to initiate is always the way to go imo.
whodidntante wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:06 am
That's annoying. Although Fidelity did freak out on me and lock out all of my accounts when I placed a trade from Europe once. I use a VPN if I do that now. Most "security" measures I encounter are oriented towards protecting the financial institution, not me.
Agreed. I know to use a VPN when International. I never saw a bank who did this for US travel, except Able. Multiple times now. It's hard to remember to use a VPN solely for Able (when it's not necessary for any of my other US based banks or institutions).
BH contests: 2020 #253 of 664 | 19 #233 of 645 | 18 #150 of 493 | 17 #516 of 647 | 16 #121 of 610 | 15 #18 of 552 | 14 #225 of 503 | 13 #383 of 433 | 12 #366 of 410 | 11 #113 of 369 | 10 #53 of 282
InertiaMan

Post by InertiaMan »

sperry8 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 am Most annoying bank ever. Not worth the extra basis points imo.
I'm only a prospective customer and they have already annoyed me. I spent 10-15 minutes trying to determine their early withdrawal policy on CDs, and I could easily find more than ten references to where to find it (the "Truth In Savings" disclosure, of course) but despite poking through every corner of the website I could not locate the actual disclosure.

I hate when companies obfuscate basic information. Not a good sign.