Who's buying today? where's all the "dry powder" folks at? :)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
james22

Re: Who's buying today? where's all the "dry powder" folks at? :)

Post by james22 »

Yes. :shock:
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

F150HD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:00 am Seems these articles pop up all the time.....anyone building up dry powder waiting to deploy in the next ## months when we're heading into the bunker for safety? :mrgreen:
Once again: One's bond fund allocation should be used to buy equities when one needs to rebalance. There is really no need for 'dry powder.'

Now I can see that with equities up more than 15% so far YTD that folks would be putting their contributions towards their bond funds in an act of rebalancing. Is that what you mean by "building up dry powder waiting ..."?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

F150HD wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 pm I just did....will hit at market close. Money won't be needed for 20+ years, so, why not.

Any insight or tips? Do many try to 'wait' for bottom? or buy on the way back up? (whenever that may be)

Not market timing, just buying on sale. :moneybag
Now might be the time to ask about dry powder strategies.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have a 60/40/0 stock/bond/cash allocation. i don't consider the bonds to be dry powder.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:16 pm
F150HD wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 pm I just did....will hit at market close. Money won't be needed for 20+ years, so, why not.

Any insight or tips? Do many try to 'wait' for bottom? or buy on the way back up? (whenever that may be)

you mean since the market has been performing?

Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

F150HD wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:16 pm

you mean since the market has been performing?

Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.
I mean with the market back at its highs I would expect people with actual dry powder strategies to be thinking how do they start building a store of dry powder in preparation for a downturn.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

who is buying today? I am. :moneybag
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Been nibbling at these discount levels. Also plan on Roth Conversion probably Monday. I believe these levels give an investor a second chance to take advantage of the situation. I am retired but have 10 yrs before RMD force me to start selling.
piper

Post by piper »

Stuck a 100K in monday night. not going so well! Also stuck 100K in a couple weeks ago. Tax loss harvest time.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

piper wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:03 am Stuck a 100K in monday night. not going so well! Also stuck 100K in a couple weeks ago. Tax loss harvest time.
Man, I feel you. I was 100% in cash and invested nearly 40% of it over the last five weeks and that part of it is already down 14%. :beer

If you have cash to deploy though, it is much better to hope for continued downturns. Warren Buffett has often said that he doesn't care what price he bought a hamburger at yesterday if he can get it more cheaply today. As long as you're a net buyer of equities, and especially if you still have significant cash to deploy, the more painful the market downturn, the better it is, even if it does not feel like it now with that sea of reds!
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

I'll be moving a bit in today. That pretty much guarantees the market continues down for a while, so... :mrgreen:
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

Bought yesterday, will continue to buy each day it keeps going down.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Still waiting.
RayKeynes

Post by RayKeynes »

Would be stupid to buy SP500 @ 2'900 which is above 2017 levels...
afan

Post by afan »

Has not hit a rebalance band yet.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

I love starting my day off with a chuckle!! :happy The "dry powder" analogy is about as annoying to me as the "US stocks in free fall" subject post is. Sure I'm watching it but how can't you? Sure it bugs me and like anyone else here I've lost money this week. My plan is to invest each and every month in a diversified taxable portfolio, do the same in my 401K, and the same in my Roth. Monday, my 2019 Roth will be full, next week my taxable portfolio gets half of march, and my 401K gets it's normal shot. Seems to me there is plenty of dry powder in the barrel that will explode with the next rally!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

260chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am I love starting my day off with a chuckle!! :happy The "dry powder" analogy is about as annoying to me as the "US stocks in free fall" subject post is. Sure I'm watching it but how can't you? Sure it bugs me and like anyone else here I've lost money this week. My plan is to invest each and every month in a diversified taxable portfolio, do the same in my 401K, and the same in my Roth. Monday, my 2019 Roth will be full, next week my taxable portfolio gets half of march, and my 401K gets it's normal shot. Seems to me there is plenty of dry powder in the barrel that will explode with the next rally!
"The reason I like a bond position is that nothing is guaranteed, and the bond position is like an anchor to windward … or a little dry powder, so when the stock market falls apart – as it will from time to time – you don't get scared and do anything dumb," Bogle said. "I get scared, but I don't do anything dumb."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I think much of this depends largely on where one is on the "work > pre-retire > retirement > deep retirement" scale.

As for "dry powder", one's "fixed allocations" no matter the underlying funds whether CD's, Bonds, Cash, etc. are all "dry powder".

It's like trying on shoes.
Hawaiian Islanders like myself have xtra wide feet: thus 11 XXXX
Other folks have narrow feet but wide arches: thus New Balance
Etc.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

afan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:44 am Has not hit a rebalance band yet.
Same. I'm 60/40 and it impresses me that the portfolio hasn't hit a rebalance band yet! It may yet week, and then I'll rebalance...
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

chuckb84 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am
Same. I'm 60/40 and it impresses me that the portfolio hasn't hit a rebalance band yet! It may yet week, and then I'll rebalance...
I'm 75/25 but was previously near the top of my band (standard 5/25 band rules) and now close to the bottom of the bands (as of yesterday's close). If today continues as it is then I think I'll finally just break the bottom of the band.

Thing is I usually don't sit watching the market and checking bands. I just check them every six months usually and I wouldn't normally be checking until July or so. So I'm unlikely to rebalance immediately. If we shave off another 10% or so next few weeks then I'll probably bother rebalancing.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I put $7,000 back door Roth IRA contribution in vti yesterday. Was very pleased to be getting it at a discount. Then vti dropped another 3%. 😮
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Not yet. I am definitely one of the dry powder people. I am not going to shoot until I see the whites of their eyes.
A fool and your money are soon partners
dh

Post by dh »

chuckb84 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am
Same here chuckb84. Honestly, I was a bit surprised I haven't hit a rebalance band. Yet, I was a bit on the high side given the recent market move to new highs. I could imagine that I will hit that rebalance band if we have a few more days with the DOW dropping 1000+ points. (Sidenote. I know it is semantics --- the OP's term "dry powder" in the thread title seems unusual; this is just basic rebalancing a portfolio to return to my selected asset allocation).
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:43 am Not yet. I am definitely one of the dry powder people. I am not going to shoot until I see the whites of their eyes.
so whats your bottom at this point where you will finally pull trigger?
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

F150HD wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm
firebirdparts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:43 am Not yet. I am definitely one of the dry powder people. I am not going to shoot until I see the whites of their eyes.
I am going to look at it April Fool's day. however, it is very, very tempting every single day. I have to try to control myself. I have a little bit of money in HF's Excellent Adventure isolated in a Roth, and I already rebalanced that, too soon.

These days, I have to look at what is going UP as well as what is going down. Bonds have priced in 3 rate cuts, looks to me like. I have a very diversified portfolio now. Converted it mainly to Tyler's "pinwheel" so 20% of it is money and gold.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

The last time I looked my stock allocation had gone from mildly high to only slightly below target. I have no reason to take action.
PJW
hithere

Post by hithere »

I bought about $60K worth of stocks today, and I don't feel too good about that at the moment. :? Nonetheless, I will be pouring more money into the markets if they continue to decline.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

I made 403b and IRA contributions today, because it was payday.
G12

Post by G12 »

I made some investments today the Bogleheads don't want to hear about. Otherwise, I made some changes in our HSA which was really conservatively allocated to higher equity orientation, added to PIMIX, etc. I wanted to buy JPM but my existing cost basis is so low I passed. Added to some equity positions in Roths & R/O IRAs & taxable brokerages. End of the day will probably be 52-54% equity allocation across all holdings as we should be really moving into retirement this year. I may have added to UTG, PFE, WFC, and EPD...
Shamb3

Post by Shamb3 »

Not buying more than planned unless the purchase price time travels to much farther in the past than last Dec.
I already invest enough to meet my financial independence goal.

Any cash I have right now took me a long time to accumulate due to my aggressive investment contributions :greedy
RAchip

Post by RAchip »

I put about $100k in today into 4 stocks in my portfolio that I like and that I think are worth a lot more than their current market prices. However, 100k is a small amount for me (less than 1% of my stock portfolio).
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

RAchip wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:05 pm I put about $100k in today into 4 stocks in my portfolio that I like and that I think are worth a lot more than their current market prices. However, 100k is a small amount for me (less than 1% of my stock portfolio).
I mean if your portfolio is > $10M why even bother caring about money anymore? Spend the rest of your days doing basically whatever you want.

I have some cash to deploy but have stayed on the sidelines thus far. But I’m going to put a limit order in this weekend, and keep buying as long as the S&P keeps going down.
vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 »

Bought 125k yesterday and 100k today.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

I bought today. Buying 100k more Monday per rebalancing bands.

Easier money has never been made.
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

Not dry powder but I used my just converted Roth IRA dollars to purchase Total Market on Fidelity....
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I bought all this week. First with my scheduled $2500 weekly taxable buy. Then I bought more today by selling taxable bonds portfolio. I am ready to keep buying until S&P hits zero.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I started this year at 40/60. I had decided to go 50/50 this year so I started buying on Wed. I'm now 45/55 so I'll keep buying next week whether the markets up or down.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 pm
I am going to look at it April Fool's day. however, it is very, very tempting every single day. I have to try to control myself. I have a little bit of money in HF's Excellent Adventure isolated in a Roth, and I already rebalanced that, too soon.

These days, I have to look at what is going UP as well as what is going down. Bonds have priced in 3 rate cuts, looks to me like. I have a very diversified portfolio now. Converted it mainly to Tyler's "pinwheel" so 20% of it is money and gold.
Bottom seems tricky here...almost easier if a finite event occurs, finishes, then we all move on. Clearly not the issue w/ current events
ARoseByAnyOtherName

nydoc wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 pm I bought all this week. First with my scheduled $2500 weekly taxable buy. Then I bought more today by selling taxable bonds portfolio. I am ready to keep buying until S&P hits zero.
Then when it hits zero, buy some more :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
ARoseByAnyOtherName

F150HD wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:35 pm
firebirdparts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Bottom seems tricky here...almost easier if a finite event occurs, finishes, then we all move on. Clearly not the issue w/ current events
Bottom is always tricky. Who cares?

Buy on the way down, buy on the way up!
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

I put the full $40,000 emergency fund in VTSAX today. Will be getting a $280,000 windfall from the house sale, so will be buying again in March
VTSAX and chill
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I am 38. Have a good stable job with good income. Why will I bother about market timing? Even if my investment portfolio hits zero I will have enough to survive and maintain the same life style. So I keep buying.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

It’s Friday so each and every week bought. Bought everyday this week the same amount as I do each Friday. Will TLH next Tuesday.

Very comfortable with buying each day next week as well as opportunity arise.

20 year time horizon and I suspect that in 20 years the index will be higher than today. BTW a 20% correction is Dow 23.6K.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

has to be some dry powder folks out there this week....
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

I’m tempted.

I sold about $250k at end of January since we need to potentially upgrade 3 cars this year (all are 10+ years) and it seemed a good time to cash in and pay down some rental property debt.

Then a 20% correction hits.

Tempted to take 150k and buy 15k vtsax each week.
Shamb3

Post by Shamb3 »

Shamb3 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:55 pm Not buying more than planned unless the purchase price time travels to much farther in the past than last Dec.
I already invest enough to meet my financial independence goal.

Any cash I have right now took me a long time to accumulate due to my aggressive investment contributions :greedy
Well what a difference a few days made. VTSAX was down to a Jan 2018 price and my bouns was going to be paid this Friday, so I invested all my extra spending money at the close on March 9th.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

F150HD wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 pm has to be some dry powder folks out there this week....
I was sitting on a fairly decent size pile of cash, about 750k, from savings, bonus, and stock compensation over the last year. I like to keep at least 200k as an emergency fund, so I've been putting the rest, 550k, into the market. I invest at every 5% drop, accelerating my purchases every drop, with a target to run out of money once we are at 40% down. If we don't hit it, I'll keep a bigger emergency fund.

Usually I just invest money as it comes in, but I was thinking about buying some investment real estate or something eventually. With this panic I feel it's a good use of the cash to just dump it in the market.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

saw on Marketwatch...

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I realized today that it’s not fun to buy stocks on sale only for them to lose 20% of their value in the next week. I feel like I already have enough tax losses harvested to last a lifetime.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 pm I realized today that it’s not fun to buy stocks on sale only for them to lose 20% of their value in the next week. I feel like I already have enough tax losses harvested to last a lifetime.
Wow, how did you lose 20% in a week when we aren't quite 20% down from the peak yet?