Who's buying today? where's all the "dry powder" folks at? :)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
F150HD

Who's buying today? where's all the "dry powder" folks at? :)

Post by F150HD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 pm

I just did....will hit at market close. Money won't be needed for 20+ years, so, why not.

Any insight or tips? Do many try to 'wait' for bottom? or buy on the way back up? (whenever that may be)

Not market timing, just buying on sale. :moneybag

David Jay

Re: Whose buying today? where's all the "dry powder" folks at? :)

Post by David Jay » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm

I hit a rebalancing band today:

BND --> VTI
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Yes, VIX near 30 is a great opportunity to add. :greedy
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Seems like an excellent day to take action of this nature, but I thought the same thing yesterday and the day before. Tomorrow may be an even better day. <sigh>

bgyt

Post by bgyt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Bought yesterday. Large move to Equities based on re-balance but also upped my Equity allocation in my AA another 10% because value.

This is panic without fundamentals.

U.S. Economy is growing at 3% and we are at full employment.
Last edited by bgyt on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm

will be buying VTI at $122 and will add every 5% drop lower.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Have not hit a re-balance point. Nothing to do.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 pm

We're sitting tight. Neither buying nor selling.

When in doubt, sit on your keester.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:30 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 pm
I just did....will hit at market close. Money won't be needed for 20+ years, so, why not.

Any insight or tips? Do many try to 'wait' for bottom? or buy on the way back up? (whenever that may be)

My dry powder is remaining dry. No plans to sell stocks here obviously. But no plans to buy stocks at this time either.
A fool and his money are good for business.

rudeboy

Post by rudeboy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:30 pm

I have had cash on the sidelines for a few weeks while I wait for tax-advantaged space to open up in the New Year. I will be buying in with a good chunk of cash on Jan. 1, regardless of where the market goes from here.

yousha

Post by yousha » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm

What we are not seeing is folks buying the dip(s) and folks selling into intermittent market gains during the trading day.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm

What is special or different about today?

JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I buy VTSAX twice per month, when my paycheck hits my checking account. Then I check my rebalancing bands to see if I need to move from stocks -> bonds or vice versa, and rebalance in my 401k (that's where I keep all my bond holdings and my international stock holdings). Next purchase will be ~12/31 when my next paycheck hits. Does this qualify as "dry powder"?

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm

When the "environment" was more stable "political nonsense" I was investing every two weeks in STOCKS. I've since stopped for the last 3 months.

I now have some dry powder - and bought some today and yesterday - but still haven't spent all my accumulated money as I'm betting the DOW will drop below 20K.

We are not talking very much money.

Sure it is a falling knife - but I always buy on big down days - I feel like I'm getting a deal.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Bought yesterday...will rinse and repeat once things settle down a bit, probably early to mid January.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

dh

Post by dh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

F150HD wrote:

Not until I hit a rebalancing threshold (5%). My experience buying on dips is that there are usually more dips (bigger dips) in the future. When my asset allocation band by is off by 5%, then I rebalance. The market ups and downs are just noise, and noise doesn't rattle me. Hang in there and stick to your plan (i.e., IPS).

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:43 pm

bgyt wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 pm
Bought yesterday. Large move to Equities based on re-balance but also upped my Equity allocation in my AA another 10% because value.

Have you ever considered WHAT is actually powering this so called growth? Debt? Inflation (increase in money supply/printing)? Or is it better to just keep head in sand? Growth is defined by a positive balance sheet, not the opposite. This goes for individuals and countries alike.
I'm not looking to get rich quick (stocks), I'm not looking to get rich slow (indexing), I'm looking to get rich, for sure (real estate) | Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate.. and wait.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Hit a rebalancing threshold and pulled the trigger. Hope that's it for a while...

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 pm

I have built up some cash on the side and was looking to expand my investment portfolio by 25%.

I upped them 12% 2 weeks ago, that stings a bit, but I have no intention to sell it anytime soon, so long term it should pay off.
Added another 2% yesterday.
Going to take a breather for a few weeks and then probably add the remaining 11%.

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 pm

The remaining dry powder I had was used to purchase some gold and precious gemstones for my lovely wife.

Happy Holidays to all.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

bgyt

Post by bgyt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:43 pm
bgyt wrote:

Have you ever considered WHAT is actually powering this so called growth? Debt? Inflation (increase in money supply/printing)? Or is it better to just keep head in sand? Growth is defined by a positive balance sheet, not the opposite. This goes for individuals and countries alike.
The Fed has been unwinding the QEs for the last 2 years. Where do you see a warning sign?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:55 pm

I have been plowing money into International every two weeks with my 401k. My US stock allocation is still actually above my target allocation because of the 2017 run-up. (I have not hit my rebalancing trigger on US stocks yet though).

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:00 pm

I have 40% in cash and bond. I plan to stay with 60/40 forever unless market drop -40% and I will be 100%. I am rebalancing whenever there is a +-2% swing to stay 60/40/ So far so good.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm

F150HD wrote:

Uh huh... nothing about that sounds like timing? :happy

FinancialRookie

Post by FinancialRookie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm

We buy every Friday whether the market is up, down, or sideways. I've barely paid attention the past couple months but glad to see we're buying on sale this week!

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Our RMDs from a couple of small inherited IRAs go into the holding MMF in our Vanguard brokerage account.

Didn't have as many house reno overruns this year, so we have a modest amount of powder sitting there. Our ISP is neutral on what to do with the money as we don't include that brokerage account into our retirement estimates. It is our do with as we want to account.

Part of that amount will be going in tonight or tomorrow.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Not today. But...

I'm near the end of a muni fund TLH round trip: single-state muni-->Vanguard LT national muni, Vanguard LT national muni-->.... Just waiting for funds to settle in bank savings.

Now thinking I may change direction and buy stocks on the way back since Vanguard's TSM and TISM (all) go ex-dividend on Monday (24 Dec). So that should be another small buying opportunity.

But the dry powder is staying dry. For now.

Will rethink situation at January's rebalancing.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:43 pm

What does the market movement have to do with buying or not? Is that in folk's IPS, i.e. "Well buy when you feel it is right and until then just put money aside until then". Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Advice for all the less experienced investors... Do NOT market time. When you get the money available throw it into your static asset allocation to keep it static. No more and more less.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

ge1

Post by ge1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 pm

F150HD wrote:

Fair question.

I have increased my allocation to stocks, specifically US stocks, since the end of October. I'm still 10-15% below where I would be should valuations become very attractive. I bought quite a lot, so I'm pausing at these levels and would need a significant additional drop to increase further.

The logical question is then: So what if equity markets increase from here and never look back?

My answer to that is: That scenario would mean I will achieve nice returns on my stock allocation and I will hit my financial goals. The fact that my return would be lower than what it could have been doesn't bother me.

Investing for me is all about hitting my financial goals with the least amount of risk, it's not about winning an investing competition.
Last edited by ge1 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Somebody's buying at these levels. If not, the prices would keep falling. They only stop plummeting when a buyer is found at the price the seller demands.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | Diligentia. Vis. Celeritas. - Jeff Cooper | Original Vanguard Diehard

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:46 pm

MJW wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm
What is special or different about today?
Didn't you get the email?

Its Secret Santa day at Vanguard. With each share purchased today, you get 1 free Hershey's Kiss. :sharebeer

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
bgyt wrote:

What do you think is powering real estate? Debt - most folks can purchase anything that requires more than a 3% downpayment.
Full employment - ha! Don't believe everything you read - plenty of job listings, why can't they fill them? Because they aren't willing to hire "any taker", instead they are pigeon holing looking for a select demographic only, not seeking to hire older workers, etc.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm

fortyofforty wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 pm
Somebody's buying at these levels. If not, the prices would keep falling. They only stop plummeting when a buyer is found at the price the seller demands.
They stopped falling today because time ran out at 4pm. Don't worry, market opens again tomorrow at 9:30 am.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:56 pm

chevca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm
F150HD wrote:

"Timing" would be trying to time the bottom to buy.....buying on the way down isn't quite timing to me. :moneybag

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:05 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:56 pm
chevca wrote:
F150HD wrote:

"Timing" would be trying to time the bottom to buy.....buying on the way down isn't quite timing to me. :moneybag
Sure it is. I will say it is better to buy on the way down then up. HOWEVER to buy on the way down means you have money just sitting aside waiting for the market to go down which is market timing and are clear signs of active management. Cash is a significant drag on long term returns AND active management is a losers game so the two together is most likely then not give negative alpha.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:09 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:05 pm
HOWEVER to buy on the way down means you have money just sitting aside waiting for the market to go down which is market timing
Not necessarily. You could be buying on the way down with the money you earned that week at work. It's not cash that was sitting aside if it was cash that was recently earned.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Bought $20k of Primecap today, another $30k before 1/1.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:11 pm

I just TLHd from SCHB to VTI. I only rebalance once a year in taxable when bonuses are paid. 401K does it automatically, so nothing for me to do yet.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 pm

I will probably do roth contributions early if it keeps 20%+ down in January. Other than that as usual.

I am at 40% bonds due to valuations. I can go down to 15% if valuations are very favorable.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 pm

I'll probably wait another two weeks or so. I'll rebalance when I make my IRA contribution. I haven't been paying much attention. Are we at a 52 week low yet? I might be able to buy at the best prices of the year!

phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm
bgyt wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm
WanderingDoc wrote:
bgyt wrote:

The Fed has been unwinding the QEs for the last 2 years. Where do you see a warning sign?
The U.S. is insolvent (by their own reported accounting) and cannot pay back it's debts. Not now, not ever. Does that sound prosperous to you?

I love this analogy. If you met your old friend and they told you "I maxed out all my credit cards, I took out a second mortgage in my house, I have a negative cash flow, I'll never be able to pay these debts back, and I bought a gold Rolex". Then you meet another friend and they tell you "I paid off my mortgage, maxed my 401k, have no debts whatsoever, and saving 40% of my income"

Tell me honestly, which friend do you think is doing better? Well, the first friend is the exact position the U.S. is in.
Applying personal finance to countries doesn’t work. I don’t have my own printing press or an army of workers who will continue giving me part of their ever increasing wages.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:23 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:05 pm
F150HD wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:56 pm
chevca wrote:
F150HD wrote:

Sure it is. I will say it is better to buy on the way down then up. HOWEVER to buy on the way down means you have money just sitting aside waiting for the market to go down which is market timing and are clear signs of active management. Cash is a significant drag on long term returns AND active management is a losers game so the two together is most likely then not give negative alpha.

Good luck.
You assume you have any idea what my (or others) financial position is, and you don't. HOWEVER, its pure assumption on your part.

Good luck!

MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I doubled my contributions per paycheck towards my 401k back in November. I figure if we're heading into a recession it's a good time to start loading more money into equities, and if we're not, well.. it's always a good time to invest more for retirement!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:26 pm

We just contribute ask scheduled via left over money from the paycheck. No plan changes.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I'll buy/sell to restore my AA to its' midpoint if and only if rebalancing bands are exceeded at the close of a given week.
I do not tinker with re-directing new money and/or rebalancing on whims and hunches.

lxr184

Post by lxr184 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I've been buying the dips and will continue to do so. I am a recovering market timer who pulled out of the market too early and missed out on some major gains. These recent declines are enabling me to essentially "time travel" and fix my past mistakes. The lower it goes, the further back in time I can go. If S&P 500 hits 2000, I would go all in.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49 pm
...The U.S. is insolvent (by their own reported accounting) and cannot pay back it's debts. Not now, not ever. Does that sound prosperous to you?
The US can never default by definition because the US government owns a printing press.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I buy VTSAX twice per month, when my paycheck hits my checking account. Then I check my rebalancing bands to see if I need to move from stocks -> bonds or vice versa, and rebalance in my 401k (that's where I keep all my bond holdings and my international stock holdings). Next purchase will be ~12/31 when my next paycheck hits. Does this qualify as "dry powder"?
+1

I'm retiring in 12 months. The market couldn't be better for me----I'm very happy to see the downturn while my last year of paychecks are still adding stocks every two weeks. I won't be selling any of those for another six years when RMDs kick in.

I spent the past year selling on the peaks and setting up a $200,000 CD ladder to supplement (if necessary) my first years of retirement. I've been an aggressive investor so adding these CDs (varying from 2.5% - 3.5%) to the portfolio made it the most conservative position I've ever held (appropriately, the year before retirement).

Out there, in the insane marketplace are all the predictable Gloom'n'Doom Pundits with the Lemmings shrieking and selling.

Meanwhile, I'm not losing any sleep.....
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm

lxr184 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 pm
I've been buying the dips and will continue to do so. I am a recovering market timer ...
Sorry to say, if you are buying on the dips, your recovery is not going well. Sad...

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:40 pm

When was the last RBD? When will the next one be?

Today was not an RBD.

It would be nice to have a little capitulation before buying anything.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.