December "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast with guest Christine Benz now available

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

December "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast with guest Christine Benz now available

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 am

The December "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast with guest Christine Benz now available. Click the link below or download through your podcast provider.

This information packed podcast with guest Christine Benz, CFP®, Moringstar's Director of Personal Finance covers a lot of important material. We discuss how 2018 tax reform impacts year-end tax planning, the double-whammy of taxes on mutual fund capital gain distributions in a year when funds lost money, tax loss harvesting and tax gain selling, using a bucket approach "overlay" to better understand how all the pieces of a portfolio work together, caring for elderly parents, advisers and fees, and much more!

"Bogleheads on Investing" episode 004 with Christine Benz, host Rick Ferri

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

travelogue

Re: December "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast with guest Christine Benz now available

Post by travelogue » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Great new podcast in general, and great conversation in this podcast specifically. I was worried that it might just be a repeat of what she covers in her Morningstar videos, but there was much to learn from and enjoy. Rick, you also have the wonderful gift of letting the guest speak and cover the topics from their viewpoint. That can can be tough for folks who are knowledgable about a topic and tend to add too much of their own views to the conversation rather than letting the guest speak. I think you hit the sweet spot.

So, thumbs up and here's to (hopefully) more great podcast content over the coming months!

MJW

Re: December "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast with guest Christine Benz now available

Post by MJW » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Thank you for asking about her stance on actively managed funds, as that was something I was curious about after seeing some of her recommendations. I was interested to hear her response.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 pm

A very nice listen of a friendly informative conversation between two people who think a lot alike. I enjoyed it. Thanks!

Around minute 40, Rick Ferri said, "... no one has ever called me."

And, "... or they're not going to call."

So true.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks Rick. Always enjoy your work on the podcast and Christine is a great guest.

Socrates

I really enjoyed the first three!

Post by Socrates » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Rick! I listen to them as I commute in to work.

:sharebeer
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Bulgogi Head

Post by Bulgogi Head » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Christine mentioned active funds are fine if they are cheap, and mentioned the lowest quartile is a good measure. Is this information available for mutual funds?

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 am

Great Podcast Rick! Thanks, good reminder to me re: Tax Gain Harvesting as 2019 will be my first year without a job.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Another great podcast with another great guest. Good job; you're a natural, Rick.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

indexlover

Post by indexlover » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Fantastic podcast.
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.

ICH

Post by ICH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:11 am

Thank you

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:40 am

I'm glad that you posted that the episode was available. For some reason, my podcast player didn't download the new episode automatically, even though I had subscribed to the podcast previously and listened to prior episodes. I deleted the podcast series from the player, re-subscribed to the series, and all is well now.

Don't know if it's just my chosen podcast player (Downcast) or some random event, but it's fixed now. Hope nobody else has had this problem.

Please continue to let the Forum know when new episodes are available.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 am

I've enjoyed the podcasts Rick. You have had a stellar lineup of guests and am looking forward to future episodes.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Rick,

I just listened to the Podcast (004) with Christine Benz. I thought is was excellent. Thanks for bringing our questions to Christine, and thanks for hosting this and all of the fine Bogleheads podcasts.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

Best podcast yet with great content and actionable advice! The discussion on buckets and long term care were most interesting. A few suggested guests for future podcasts would be Wade Pfau, Michael Kitces, Tom Hegna (insurance), Don Graves (reverse mortgages), Jim Dahle.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Rick - These podcasts are getting better each time. I think you've found your stride especially with the #3 and #4 episodes. The conversations are coming more naturally and you sound a lot more comfortable now. Keep it up!

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Thank you Rick. Nice reminders on the 2018 tax changes.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Rick
Just had a chance to listen to this podcast. Great job, really enjoyed the high quality of this intelligent conversation.

Look forward to more in 2019!

Regards
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."