[Robinhood to offer 3% cash management program, not a bank account]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
lukestuckenhymer

Re: 3% Interest on checking and savings account - Robinhood

Post by lukestuckenhymer »

Tempting. But something about giving my cash to a non-FDIC insured, out-of-nowhere Silicon Valley startup with $5 billion valuation makes me nervous though. Could they be the Theranos of financial services?

I think I'll stay parked in VMMXX and sleep better at night.
Last edited by lukestuckenhymer on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

vk_217 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am Too good to be true?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkaufli ... 86ba13341a
"Robinhood’s checking and savings accounts have no account minimums, no monthly fees, no overdraft fees and no foreign transaction fees. The new Mastercard debit card can be used for free at 75,000 ATMs around the country"
Not FDIC insured = no thanks.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

It is SIPC insured.
You are still covered for 250k
Taj_Mahalo

Post by Taj_Mahalo »

Signed up as well. Can't hurt to put a placeholder in line while I do more research to figure out if/how I'd use it.
GatorFL

RobinHood Checking/Savings

Post by GatorFL »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Did anyone else see that RobinHood is now offering no fee / no minimum 3% for checking/savings? There is a waitlist, so I decided to jump on and see if its too good to be true. They also include no fee ATM.

This would be a nice place to park cash without having to buy short term CDs for me, so will hopefully pan out.

GatorFL
Flyer24

Re: RobinHood Checking/Savings

Post by Flyer24 »

sparksfly

Re: RobinHood Checking/Savings

Post by sparksfly »

already few other threads here. The waiting list is at 150,000+ already. It is not FDIC insured but SPIC insured
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

neoptolemus412 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 am I posted a longer reply in another thread, but in short, this is not a bank account nor does it have FDIC insurance. The product will invest your money in short-term, highly safe securities (US treasuries) to obtain 3%.
Where would they be finding short-term highly safe securities (US treasuries) paying 3%? The only treasuries paying that kind of rate mature in over 10 years.

Also they charge a $75 fee to transfer cash to another brokerage.
https://support.robinhood.com/hc/en-us ... od-Account
Van

Re: Robinhood to launch 3% Checking & Savings Accounts

Post by Van »

If it sounds too good to be true.............
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

l1am wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:40 pm
Patzer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am They say it is launching in January, so it seems like a real product to me.
3% on savings is good, but not hugely different than where Online Savings accounts will be in a year, assuming a few more rate changes. I currently get 2.05%.
It is +46% - how is that not hugely different. People rant every time savings shifts .1%.
What I said, was that it wasn't a huge difference after what I am assuming are the rate changes over the next 1 year.
2.05%+.75% = 2.80%
A 20 basis point difference isn't huge (to me), and not enough to get me to move accounts.
That said, my checking pays 0.35%. 265 basis points is a lot, and does motivate me to create a new account.
AndroAsc

Post by AndroAsc »

What's the diff between FDIC vs SIPC insurance?
Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 »

I was on the app at 10:07 AM, shortly after it went public,( at least public to me). I read the info, set up, No Fee's list (got my attention, the Boglehead in me). Sure I thought why not, not going to leave my C/U or HNB, (also great for low/no fee banking) but this makes sense, and if it looks good after 3-6 months, I may dump Discover, Ally, and my second line C/U. So I got in at #14,710, and started dropping, faded like 4-6 spots, decided to tweet the promo & text 4 contacts. I am not sure that helped stabilize my spot in line any as I am now creeping towards #26,000. The real news here is they are over 180K in line as I type this, four hours later. I drilled down, chuckled when I found they were using an old line small Ohio bank, "Sutton Bank, founded in 1878, I thought, well they survived the Great Depression, so that was the first thumbs up. It ties right in with their marketing of trust. I went right to Bankrate's Safe & Sound, they have a top rating of 5 Stars. Good enough for me! I used to come home from work during the Great RE-cession, in 2009, put on Exodus by Ferrante & Teicher on YouTube and fill in my excel sheet of bank take overs every Friday Evening by the FDIC, (I started calling it"Failed Deposits & It's Closed). I thought, must be disheartening to drive up to the ATM and see all the cars/Tahoes with federal tags, in the parking lot. Something about those twin Grands and the powerful notes as the Grand Twins of the Twin Grand's smoothed out the news of bank failure/takeover after takeover, climbing to 140 in 2009. Bottom line, they will pull a tiny slice of every debit transaction, and with the new money movement apps, it is going both ways now. I own a small position in two banks, and they both dropped 1-2% on the news. The high points are they have 75K free ATM's set up in Costco (COST),Target (TGT), Walgreen, (WBA) & 7-11's. A custom debit card with the Robinhood feather.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

cutterinnj wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 pm It is SIPC insured.
You are still covered for 250k
I think that's very unclear. FDIC and NCUA deposit insurance has a long track record of working smoothly for depositors when banks and credit unions have failed--it's not even an inconvenience most of the time. I know that because I had an important household account at a credit union that failed, and a work colleague of mine had an important account at a bank that failed. (Might have been FSLIC insurance, not FDIC).

SIPC is basically "statement accuracy insurance," i.e. you really are the beneficial owner of the things listed on your statement. But it does not insure against loss of value in your holdings, not even fraud. If you were holding shares of the Reserve Primary Money Market Fund in 2008, you went through a lot of misery, lost access to your money for the better part of a year, and while you got almost of it back eventually, it took around two years and you got it back in dribs and drabs, and of course you didn't get the two years' interest you missed out on.

Robinhood itself says "SIPC insurance provides protection for your cash balance and securities holdings if Robinhood fails financially, but does not cover investment losses due to declines in the value of securities themselves."

So the important factual question is whether a Robinhood "savings account" is a true "cash balance" (like the non-interest-earning "cash" accounts at a brokerage), or whether it is a kind of "security" like a money market mutual fund. If it is a security, then SIPC would not cover losses in value, as long as Robinhood was correctly tracking your ownership in the assets backing the "savings" account.

The experiment to try would be to see whether you can get someone at Robinhood to sign a statement saying "Robinhood checking and savings accounts are considered by the SIPC to be cash balances and are protected by the SIPC to the full extent of your net deposits and earned interest." Or something like that. I'll bet you can't find that already stated online, and I'll bet you can't get a signed statement from them saying so.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Morgan Dollar 1921

l1am wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:41 pm
greg24 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:35 am Sounds like they got 40k identities to spam just by announcing a possible future product.
Cynical much? It will launch.

Why are people so bitter about this product.
Tough Crowd, huh?

I like the product, and I board plane's with my smartphone. I think Sutton will be OK, founded 1878, surviving two panic's and two depressions, several recessions, including the Great one 2008-2009. I can stand the risk for my in & out flow funds. Tell me again about the FDIC on MMMF's? ("VMMXX")
vmsx

Post by vmsx »

SIPC needs clarification in this context. As I understand it SIPC doesn't protect against market losses, only against insolvency and fraud.

I am concerned without seeing the fine print that money put into this so-called "checking and savings" will be invested in treasuries, which can go down. It seems possible for a break-the-buck kind of situation, at least in principle. That cannot happen with FDIC insured "real" bank accounts.

Thoughts?
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

A loss leader cash management account at a broker.

<yawn>
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
Beach

Post by Beach »

Lol...my spot on the waiting list #223,709

Instead of a Tesla and $1K, I get a "chance" at 3% in exchange for my burner email account.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Is there a maximum?

I typically have between $10K and $50K in checking/savings. I use FZDXX at Fidelity as my main checking/savings account....last I checked it was getting a yield somewhere over 2% and it is very convenient having it under one umbrella and not having to constantly monitor, transfer funds, etc. I don't think that it would be worth it to me to switch. I've opened and closed too many accounts over the years, with sporadic funds here and there. But it does seem like a great rate...might be promotional. Others may want to jump on it.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neoptolemus412

Post by neoptolemus412 »

vmsx wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 pm SIPC needs clarification in this context. As I understand it SIPC doesn't protect against market losses, only against insolvency and fraud.

I am concerned without seeing the fine print that money put into this so-called "checking and savings" will be invested in treasuries, which can go down. It seems possible for a break-the-buck kind of situation, at least in principle. That cannot happen with FDIC insured "real" bank accounts.

Thoughts?
You are correct that this is the risk. My 1st issue is the marketing. 'Checking/savings' account is a colloquial term for bank account with FDIC insured deposits. A brokerage account can have features similar to these options, but Robinhood is not being transparent in their marketing. They are marketing this as a bank product, but the Robinhood accounts do not have the same protections or regulation in place to make such claims.

Break the Buck

You are spot on. The risk is the investments Robinhood puts the deposits loses value and your initial deposit loses value as well. Robinhood has no duty to disclose their investment of these funds. It's very unclear, past a few quotes, what the investments will look like.

Custody of Deposits

Where will the funds actually be housed? Sutton Bank? Robinhood? Third-party? Much of the insurance coverage depends upon the customer/regulated entity relationship. Robinhood fails, SIPC kicks in. Sutton Bank fails, FDIC insurance kicks in. However, it only seems like Robinhood is registering customers as a broker, so no FDIC insurance at the individual customer level.

Runs

The biggest issue is a run on Robinhood. How much capital is reserved to cover deposit liabilities. FDIC insured banks have strict rules about capital requirements. Broker capital requirements are based upon a formula that is very different from bank's because the business models are very different.

Just some final thoughts. I'm still trying it, but I would not view this as a replacement for one's main banking/savings products.
CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk »

b0B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:30 pm If I want a large "cash" balance, I put it in liquid TIAA Trad which easily beats 3%. Bank accounts are just for monthly cash flow.
Can you please elaborate on this? This seems more like a retirement account than a place to keep a large cash balance for a future (e.g., home) purchase. If there is a way to (relatively) safely beat 3%, I would love to hear about it.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Vanguard Prime Money Market has a current SEC Yield of 2.34%.

I'm always surprised that more people on this board don't use PMM.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

b0B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:30 pmIf I want a large "cash" balance, I put it in liquid TIAA Trad which easily beats 3%. Bank accounts are just for monthly cash flow.
Is there a liquid version of TIAA Traditional that yields over 3%?

My only access is via a 403b that is far from liquid.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

this isn't too appealing.. I don't store much money long term in my pure checking and for my emergency fund I use VG Prime MM currently yielding 2.37%. Soon enough with the Fed increase it will jump close to 2.6-2.7%. So is it worth the few bucks extra to take on risk with an unknown provider (Sutton bank)?

Even with a $20k deposit, that's an extra $60 a year, after be tax much less.

btw, I have been using Schwab checking for the last decade.. fee free access to any ATM worldwide, not just 75k.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Interesting name for a financial services firm. :oops: I hope when you call you don't talk to Little John. :happy

I would approach this deal with caution.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

b0B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 pmIt is "cash" in the sense of an asset class, and it is "liquid" in that I can exchange into and out other funds in my retirement plan any time with no restrictions. Mine gets 3.5%. It's in a retirement account, so I can't spend it on groceries immediately, but money is fungible. There's no reason for me to chase lower rates. The amounts of cash kept around for monthly bills are low enough that interest rates don't matter much.
I wouldn't call that account "liquid."
CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk »

b0B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 pm The amounts of cash kept around for monthly bills are low enough that interest rates don't matter much.
It sounds like your situation is different from my situation. I have a few hundred thousand saved that I will need access to in the next year or so. I would likely benefit from a 3% checking/savings account (though there will likely be a $ limit), while you may not.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Thegame14's, Daendrew's, akhilsam's, investor4life's, GatorFL's, and vk_217's threads into the on-going discussion.

The combined thread is in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (checking and savings account).

(Thanks to the members who reported the posts. One of the reasons is "Duplicate thread".)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
susa

Post by susa »

JoMoney wrote: PNC has a FDIC insured No-Fee High Yield Savings account offered at 2.35% available today...
How about EBSB Direct Savings, also FDIC insured and pays 2.50% today....

https://www.ebsbdirect.com/high-yield-savings-account
libralibra

Post by libralibra »

duplicate
Last edited by libralibra on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
libralibra

Post by libralibra »

post removed
Last edited by libralibra on Sun May 26, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwickenh

Robinhood Checking and Savings at 3%

Post by dwickenh »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Robinhood is starting a 3% checking and savings in early 2019. 250,000 FDIC

Might be worth a look for some.

https://checking.robinhood.com/
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
livesoft

Re: Robinhood Checking and Savings at 3%

Post by livesoft »

7th thread started on the subject today. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
viperguy56

Post by viperguy56 »

Beat me to it :) just signed up.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It's tempting, but I'll stick with Ally for now. They offer ATM reimbursement, deposit envelopes with postage, free checks, great app, etc.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

lol! are people this excited over 0.5% increase in rates? VMMXX is paying out 2.37% now and it will go up shortly when the Fed raises rates again next week.
bigdoofus

Post by bigdoofus »

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them, but not sure I want to trust them after watching their entire options trading platform explode for two days straight.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm 7th thread started on the subject today. :)
Make that 8. I merged dwickenh's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Good for competition, the extremely low bank savings and checking interest has gone on way too long.
wisevermilion

Post by wisevermilion »

I signed up for Robinhood a while back when they offered one free stock. I have never done anything else with them.

I signed up for the account waitlist ~2 hours ago. I am #323,859 in line.
dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow »

I'm not sure I really understand the appeal of startup banks
such as this and Chime etc.

If you want free use of any ATM there is
the choice of the more established Schwab, Fidelity, Radius etc which
let you use any ATM rather than the restricted network Robinhood has
and can allow you to make deposits.

If you want better interest rates, I'm sure most of us either invest
our cash or put it into CDs or money market funds.

This leaves me wondering who the target demographic really is.
HomeBarista

Does the 3% savings at robinhood make emergency funds ladders obsolete?

Post by HomeBarista »

The new 3% interest savings account from Robinhood is making me seriously reconsider what to do with my emergency fund. No point of a ladder any more. And I'm even wondering what to do with the fixed income allocation.

What are your thoughts on this? It is SIPC insured, it looks totally legit, and it is from a popular and convenient to use brokerage.

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
radiowave

Re: Does the 3% savings at robinhood make emergency funds ladders obsolete?

Post by radiowave »

At Ally Bank, 1 year CDs are 2.65%. I can't see moving to a new bank for a few basis points especially one that is not FDIC insured.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

b0B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 am
bgf wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 am interesting how people are upset about app v desktop. my wife hasnt had a computer in years and mine if often duplicative for everything but word processing.
We don't use smartphones at all. They are useless to us, and the recurring and one-time costs extremely expensive.

Also, doing financial transactions on such a miniscule gadget is completely insane. You really can't see what you're doing on those teeny tiny screens. They don't even have a keyboard and mouse, so you're dependent on squidging your thumbs into this teeny rectangle and hoping for the best. That's no way to handle finances.
To each their own. I say that using a relatively large device with two other devices attached to it (keyboard and mouse) to do financial transactions is insane.

I use a smartphone for 99.5% of my personal computing needs. I use my personal laptop 1-2 times per month.
drk

Post by drk »

HomeBarista wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 pm new 3% interest savings account from Robinhood
I'm going to nit: it is not a savings account. You'll notice that RH doesn't refer to it as such.

Also, don't spam the forum with your personal referral code.
drk

Post by drk »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm Make that 8. I merged dwickenh's thread into here.
Can we get the thread title corrected? These are not checking/savings accounts.
workoutexcite

Post by workoutexcite »

You're #474,237 on the list!
wbrianwhite

Post by wbrianwhite »

https://www.sipc.org/for-investors/what-sipc-protects

I can't figure out where a savings account from a brokerage fits, is it protected as cash or as a security?
Morgan Dollar 1921

drk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm Make that 8. I merged dwickenh's thread into here.
Can we get the thread title corrected? These are not checking/savings accounts.
Respectfully, I ask what would you call them then ? TIA