"The 10 Worst Places To Get Investing Advice"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Time2Quit

Re: "The 10 Worst Places To Get Investing Advice"

Post by Time2Quit »

goingup wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:35 am In the late 1990's reading Money magazine and Kipplingers lead me to purchase the hottest funds--Janus Funds. Anyone remember the Janus Mercury and Olympus funds? They faded into extinction after the Tech Wreck. That experience cured me of chasing hot funds recommended in print form or otherwise. :|
Speaking of Kiplingers, In the mid 90’s I was early in my career very green, I asked for advice by sending them an email. I asked if it would be prudent to exchange a pension for 4 percent guaranteed contribution in my 401k. Their advice was take the 4 percent and you will be much further ahead. I took their advice not realizing the value of a pension. :oops:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The best investing advice: Nobody knows nothing.
The worst investing advice: All other investing advice.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

goingup wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:35 am In the late 1990's reading Money magazine and Kipplingers lead me to purchase the hottest funds--Janus Funds. Anyone remember the Janus Mercury and Olympus funds? They faded into extinction after the Tech Wreck. That experience cured me of chasing hot funds recommended in print form or otherwise. :|
+1, I forgot how Money magazine had me chasing hottest funds for a decade. Now I realized Money is all about ad dollars.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

LXEX55 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm Your brother in law.
+1000 :beer :greedy
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

keepingitsimple wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm 19. Anyone who says they know a guy who is an expert at investing.
I have a friend who would introduce me that way to his friends!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am
keepingitsimple wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm 19. Anyone who says they know a guy who is an expert at investing.
I have a friend who would introduce me that way to his friends!
Proof that every rule has it's exception :sharebeer
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Will do good wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am
+1, I forgot how Money magazine had me chasing hottest funds for a decade. Now I realized Money is all about ad dollars.
I remember those, too, but also recall that Money and Kiplinger's also had helpful investing and personal finance articles way back then, including at least one John Bogle interview and another on stockbrokers that led me to indexing, starting in the late '80s.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

AM Radio.

On several occasions DW has said she heard about "X" on an AM radio show and it sounded like a great deal compared to risky stock investments. High returns and little risk!!

"X" has included:

1. Various forms of annuities, where you have "market upside" but "limited downside" or "guaranteed not to lose"
2. Life settlements (basically buying someone else's life insurance policy and hope they die soon)
3. Market timing schemes that claim to be able to get out before the market crashes. Usually they are some form of moving average.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Will do good wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am +1, I forgot how Money magazine had me chasing hottest funds for a decade. Now I realized Money is all about ad dollars.
I spent some airline miles on a subscription to Money once. The description is apt. It's like the free runners magazines that my wife gets signed up for without asking when she does a race: 50% or more of the page space is ads. The advice is not all bad, although it's definitely not all good, either, but when it does provide good information, it tends to be cursory and shallow.

And lately, the non-ad content is comprised largely of numerous lists - I dubbed it "Buzzfeed Finance".

By the end of the subscription, I was barely even glancing at the table of contents, and wishing for the end to finally arrive.
saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 »

Let me add Dave Ramsey's Smartvestor program to this list.

One who I met with advocates non-traded REITS and significant stakes in hedged equity (Swan Defined Risk funds). He also failed to honestly disclose all the fees on top of his AUM.
Already impartial now...and you have a nice day.