Morningstar forum gone?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
dalbright

Morningstar forum gone?

Post by dalbright » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 am

Every time i've tried to check out what was going on over there to see how it stacked up to the views here in the past week the forum/discuss site has been show as down/broken. Does anyone know if it has been removed? I wasn't able to find much in searching the forum here for recent news on it.

Doc

Re: Morningstar forum gone?

Post by Doc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 am

dalbright wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 am
Every time i've tried to check out what was going on over there to see how it stacked up to the views here in the past week the forum/discuss site has been show as down/broken. Does anyone know if it has been removed? I wasn't able to find much in searching the forum here for recent news on it.
They have had some issues lately. There was a problem logging in a week or so ago. I found out it was not only me by looking at the "Morningstar forum". :annoyed
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 pm

A while ago this morning, I was able to view the M* forum for the first time in quite a while.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Morningstar website is currently somewhat broken.

I can't see any charts for instance.
The J stands for Jay

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

I’m not a conspiracist but I noticed it stopped working after I cancelled my paid membership. :P I’ve taken to opening it in an Incognito Chrome window and it works fine there.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

It's working for me. Premium. :?
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes, the M* website offerings do tend to wax and wane.

A case in point are their charts - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't display the graphs, and sometimes they are simply unavailable.

However, if you are signed in as a premium member, it seems that those issues are magically resolved (no surprise).

Many libraries offer "at-home" premium access to M* as part of holding a library card/account.

And, if you do enough Googling, you can find libraries that don't require a library card/account. :wink:
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm
I’m not a conspiracist but I noticed it stopped working after I cancelled my paid membership. :P I’ve taken to opening it in an Incognito Chrome window and it works fine there.
Magically...if i use chrome incognito the forum/discuss area is now available! Sketchy but thanks for the tip!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

The search feature is basically useless, since it can't seem to find things that I know exist.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 pm

It's their data. Perhaps they are moving to a more paying customer business model and this is the start. OTOH, if chrome is working perhaps there is a glitch or they have not gotten to that yet. Frankly, they provided provided a lot of free data and I saw no reason to pay for their service.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm
The search feature is basically useless, since it can't seem to find things that I know exist.
So much useful forum information gone...at least we still have this site :)

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm
There is modest help in the wiki: Index to important posts on Morningstar, compiled by Roger (statsguy) and Taylor Larimore, lists important posts on the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards forum.

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven