Investment Analysis Tools

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Indianrock

Investment Analysis Tools

Post by Indianrock » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 am

I hope this falls within the guidelines. I've been looking at free analysis tools such as :
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/ I haven't found anything on Vanguard's site that does this.

Personal Capital gets many positive reviews but my question is whether you can manually input your funds and amounts. I wouldn't be comfortable having these tools access my accounts on their own ( surprisingly, many people do just that )

https://www.listenmoneymatters.com/pers ... al-review/
If I was king: once a stock is purchased, you hold it for 30 days.

dwickenh

Re: Investment Analysis Tools

Post by dwickenh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:49 am

Yes you can enter your accounts and balances manually in Personal Capital.

There is nothing like Portfolio Visualizer available on any brokerage account websites.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

student

Post by student » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 am

I use Personal Capital and I manually enter the portfolio. Overall, I think it is a great product.

Topic Author
Indianrock

Post by Indianrock » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 am

thanks.
If I was king: once a stock is purchased, you hold it for 30 days.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 am

I would also consider also using Morningstar. You don't need a premium membership. If you create a login and portfolio(s) and post to their discussion groups, a suitcase will appear to the left of your discussion group handle containing your created portfolios. Click on a portfolio and you will get a basic analysis and xray but not many of the premium features. No actual dollar amounts are displayed just percentages. Alternatively TRowePrice website can give you access to Morningstar tools for free if you created an account, no actual investments at TRPrice needed. I use Vanguard's tool also but am aware of its limitations. I have used Personal Capital also, allowing them access to my brokerage accounts. I don't care for how they count alternatives like real estate and commodities. Commodities are not my cup of tea and my index funds are market weight in REITs which I count as stock. I don't like that Personal Capital keeps calling periodically with a sales pitch for their expensive service.
Best Wishes, SpringMan