Vanguard closure last week

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
yousha

Vanguard closure last week

Post by yousha » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:47 am

Is there any information regarding the purpose of the closure of the website?

KlingKlang

Re: Vanguard closure last week

Post by KlingKlang » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

I thought that it was to perform a major update to the website. I did go there on Saturday and the initial page had been changed to something that looked radically different. I suspect that it didn't work and they backed the whole upgrade out.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

I'm assuming they will not provide details for security concerns which I think is good.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm

When I logged in Sunday night to get my account statement for October, something came up touting some web site improvements. I didn't pay much attention - I rarely do anything there other than download my monthly statements, and I can't say I noticed anything particularly different about that.

Post by 2015 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 am

Not enough threads last week complaining about VG so VG decided to close to get the belly aching going again. Seriously, I don't understand why those unhappy with VG don't spend their time more productively by moving their accounts elsewhere as opposed to complaining.

I have no issues with VG, didn't even know they were closed except (naturally) something was posted here about it. My investing IPS is all about watching my nails grow so I don't hyperventilate if I can't get into my account for a few days.

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 am

2015 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 am
Seriously, I don't understand why those unhappy with VG don't spend their time more productively by moving their accounts elsewhere as opposed to complaining.
I did. 14 years ago.

So I no longer complain. :D

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am

As a Canadian I don't have access to the Vanguard website. However, I do recall another discussion about the issue so you might want to read through viewtopic.php?f=10&t=262370
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am

KlingKlang wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am
I thought that it was to perform a major update to the website. I did go there on Saturday and the initial page had been changed to something that looked radically different. I suspect that it didn't work and they backed the whole upgrade out.
The page on Saturday was a static landing page. No reason to assume something Vanguard planned for months did not work.

Paul Romano

Post by Paul Romano » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm

The Philadelphia Inquirer had an article that featured the Bogleheads reaction to the outage.

"Vanguard’s website goes dark over the weekend, prompting the Bogleheads to rage online"

http://www2.philly.com/philly/business ... 81105.html

Below is an excerpt from the article.

Personally--I did not notice any changes to the website after the outage.

"If any group of investors pays attention to Vanguard's website, it's the Bogleheads.
So when the Vanguard website wasn't available over the weekend, between Saturday morning and Sunday morning, reading "Upgrade in Progress," the Vanguard devotees took their displeasure online.

Where? At the Bogleheads website, naturally. The Bogleheads are a collection of penny-pinching, self-educated investors who love Vanguard's philosophy of low-cost indexing and investing, made famous by founder John Bogle. They share education, information and ideas — all for free, of course — at Bogleheads.org.

"Wow, let's spend the entire weekend (NOT) trying to figure out what the upgrades might be, deliberating if it's an upgrade if Fidelity/Schwab already have it, then when it comes up complaining about how it's different and we don't like change," wrote Rick Boglehead on the website.

"I just logged on and am not seeing any balances," wrote another. "Also received a message that my computer was not recognized when I tried to log on. It is the same computer that I have used for 5+ years. Luckily I could answer my security question — but still no balances. I find it highly unusual that Vanguard does not provide a time frame as to when they expect to complete their website maintenance.""

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm

2015 wrote:
Seriously, I don't understand why those unhappy with VG don't spend their time more productively by moving their accounts elsewhere as opposed to complaining.
There are other solutions than simply leaving. If Vanguard is an otherwise good broker, but has something you don't like, doesn't it make sense to point out the things you don't like and try to make it better?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
When I take my car in for major work I don't expect it to look any different when I go back to pick it up -- unless it was for body work.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm
2015 wrote:
There are other solutions than simply leaving. If Vanguard is an otherwise good broker, but has something you don't like, doesn't it make sense to point out the things you don't like and try to make it better?
It certainly makes sense. However, if you want to get things to change at Vanguard, it would be better to address concerns to Vanguard rather than the Bogleheads. The Bogleheads do not run Vanguard nor are we part of Vanguard.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:31 pm

GerryL wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
When I take my car in for major work I don't expect it to look any different when I go back to pick it up -- unless it was for body work.
Same here. And I generally expect to be without it for a few hours, a day or even a couple of days (if it's a big job). But if I've been told in advance what to expect, I plan around it. (I'm just not grasping why this Vanguard web site issue is such a big deal.)
Friar1610

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Paul Romano wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm
The Philadelphia Inquirer had an article that featured the Bogleheads reaction to the outage.

"Vanguard’s website goes dark over the weekend, prompting the Bogleheads to rage online"

http://www2.philly.com/philly/business ... 81105.html

Below is an excerpt from the article.

Personally--I did not notice any changes to the website after the outage.

"If any group of investors pays attention to Vanguard's website, it's the Bogleheads.
So when the Vanguard website wasn't available over the weekend, between Saturday morning and Sunday morning, reading "Upgrade in Progress," the Vanguard devotees took their displeasure online.

Where? At the Bogleheads website, naturally. The Bogleheads are a collection of penny-pinching, self-educated investors who love Vanguard's philosophy of low-cost indexing and investing, made famous by founder John Bogle. They share education, information and ideas — all for free, of course — at Bogleheads.org.

"Wow, let's spend the entire weekend (NOT) trying to figure out what the upgrades might be, deliberating if it's an upgrade if Fidelity/Schwab already have it, then when it comes up complaining about how it's different and we don't like change," wrote Rick Boglehead on the website.

"I just logged on and am not seeing any balances," wrote another. "Also received a message that my computer was not recognized when I tried to log on. It is the same computer that I have used for 5+ years. Luckily I could answer my security question — but still no balances. I find it highly unusual that Vanguard does not provide a time frame as to when they expect to complete their website maintenance.""
I don't recall giving the Philly Inquirer permission to quote me... :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:48 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm
I don't recall giving the Philly Inquirer permission to quote me... :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
At least they spelled your name correctly. :(

Regarding the OP's question, the article did have this to say about it.
Vanguard, for its part, issued a statement Monday saying: "Over the weekend, Vanguard completed a long-scheduled upgrade of our systems — part of our broader, multi-year reinvestment efforts to improve our client service and experience. As a security precaution and following industry best practices, we cannot disclose the details of the upgrade."

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:41 pm

sport wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm
ThriftyPhD wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm
2015 wrote:
It certainly makes sense. However, if you want to get things to change at Vanguard, it would be better to address concerns to Vanguard rather than the Bogleheads. The Bogleheads do not run Vanguard nor are we part of Vanguard.
Better implies you can only do one. Direct complaints are good to make sure they know your specific issues. However, these can be easy for companies to ignore. Public complaints on social media tend to get a company to sit up and notice. That's why companies monitor twitter, facebook, etc and customers have noticed faster response time complaining through those channels. I've noticed this with my local electric utility; customers complain on facebook and all of a sudden someone is able to help and dispatch repair crews.

Bogleheads isn't the same as twitter and facebook, but I'm guessing Vanguard (if they're smart) monitors this site (and other similar sites) to track the general consensus of how customers feel.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Once you put something on a public forum, they probably don't need permission.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm

No explanation. Vanguard customer service continues to slip!

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 am

chrisjul wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm
What explanation are you looking for?

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 am

chrisjul wrote:
?????????

"Over the weekend, Vanguard completed a long-scheduled upgrade of our systems — part of our broader, multi-year reinvestment efforts to improve our client service and experience. As a security precaution and following industry best practices, we cannot disclose the details of the upgrade."

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:02 pm

chrisjul wrote:
:oops:

:shock:

:thumbsdown

harmoniousmonk

Post by harmoniousmonk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 am

Just notice this small sentence under my account balance on the "balance and holdings" page. Anyone else?

Prices for some of your investments are unavailable at this time. Total assets doesn't include the value of those investments.
In efficient markets, mediocrity is the norm. | Never confuse genius for luck and a bull market.