Missing October Statement [Vanguard]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
soazfree

Missing October Statement [Vanguard]

Post by soazfree » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 pm

So I have 4 accounts with VG. Today I went in to download the statements and noticed my Roth statement isn’t posted. The other three are there. Not sure if this related to this weekends computer maintenance or not. Anybody else missing a statement? Thx

Silk McCue

Re: Missing October Statement

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 pm

All three of my statements are there. If yours isn’t there tomorrow just call customer service.

Cheers

soazfree

Post by soazfree » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Yep I’ve an email in to my rep. I’ll post back what I find out

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:26 pm

My Roth IRA statement only posts quarterly - 3/31, 6/30, 9/31. No October. 12/31 will be next. My tIRA and regular account both post monthly.

ivk5

Post by ivk5 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:53 am

soazfree wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 pm
So I have 4 accounts with VG. Today I went in to download the statements and noticed my Roth statement isn’t posted. The other three are there. Not sure if this related to this weekends computer maintenance or not. Anybody else missing a statement? Thx
Brokerage platform or old mutual fund acct? Was there activity in the acct during the month of September?

Scirocco77

Post by Scirocco77 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 pm

I am missing a statement for a Roth IRA in October as well. We have two Roths and both had no activity, but only one statement was issued. I was going to give it a day or so before complaining.

As a newbie, I'm starting to get the impression that people love Vanguard funds a lot more than the brokerage, and am wondering if I should have gone with something different.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Missing October Statement [Vanguard]

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard statement).

Scirocco77, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

soazfree

Post by soazfree » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Well my rep stated that they only post quarterly statements unless there was activity, then they'll send it out monthly. But this doesn't make sense since my wife still got her monthly Roth statement (neither of us had any activity other than dividends). He also stated that I could change the option by selecting the "more" option when I'm on the Statements page but I can't find any "more" tab on that page. I've got another email in to him and will let y'all know what I find out

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 am

soazfree wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm
Well my rep stated that they only post quarterly statements unless there was activity, then they'll send it out monthly. But this doesn't make sense since my wife still got her monthly Roth statement (neither of us had any activity other than dividends). He also stated that I could change the option by selecting the "more" option when I'm on the Statements page but I can't find any "more" tab on that page. I've got another email in to him and will let y'all know what I find out
Please keep us posted. I also noticed missing IRA statements (I have two IRA accounts) for October. Statements were issued for previous months even though the only activity was dividends.

One possibility: I recently changed my dividend/interest/cap-gains election from reinvest to settlement fund. Perhaps the reinvestment triggered statements in earlier months. The IRAs hold bond funds that generate monthly dividends.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Scirocco77

Post by Scirocco77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I assumed the account with the missing statement also had dividends in October, but it did not, so I'm going to further assume that no activity = no monthly statement at this point.

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 am
soazfree wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm
Please keep us posted. I also noticed missing IRA statements (I have two IRA accounts) for October. Statements were issued for previous months even though the only activity was dividends.

One possibility: I recently changed my dividend/interest/cap-gains election from reinvest to settlement fund. Perhaps the reinvestment triggered statements in earlier months. The IRAs hold bond funds that generate monthly dividends.
At least for me, dividend payments that are directed to the settlement fund instead of reinvested are credited on the first business day of the following month. Therefore, there would be no activity in October for the October dividend. Instead it would appear in November.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:54 pm

Geologist wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm
At least for me, dividend payments that are directed to the settlement fund instead of reinvested are credited on the first business day of the following month. Therefore, there would be no activity in October for the October dividend. Instead it would appear in November.
I think you've got it. My recent dividends were credited on 9/28 and then on 11/1 -- nothing in October thus no statement for October.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

soazfree

Post by soazfree » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry for the delay. From what I now understand, VG will only send quarterly statements unless there is some type of activity, i.e. dividends, deposits etc. What I overlooked is that in my Roth I just have VTSAX which for this month didn’t have any “activity “. My wife’s Roth also has VBTLX which has monthly dividends, hence she got her monthly statement. My rep did change my settings to generate monthly statements regardless of activity. Hopefully it will be okay the end of this month. Thanks to everyone who replied.