User friendly multi-asset rebalancing spreadsheet/program?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mrfisher315

User friendly multi-asset rebalancing spreadsheet/program?

Post by mrfisher315 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 am

I'm looking for a user friendly, less time-consuming option for rebalancing my portfolio which is comprised of mostly mutual funds, some individual bonds. My goal is to maintain the portfolio according to these 15 sub-classes with one mutual fund per class: LCV, LCB, LCG, MCV, MCB, MCG, SCV, SCB, SCG, Int'l Lg, Int'l Sm, EM, US Bonds, Int'l Bonds.
I really don't want to be consumed by tinkering with plug ins and formulas, just want to be able to import my holdings and fairly easily add/customize the asset classes and have it show current vs target balances/percentages, and the needed adjustments for high level rebalancing(Stocks/Bonds/Cash) or sub-class level rebalancing(US Lg Growth/US Lg Value..)
I would be willing to pay a moderate price for a program that automated the data for me so I could just sync my accounts or import my holdings and have it update the prices,values,category... but so far have only found one that has really achieved this, Investment Account Manager Pro, however the price is a bit steep at $395.
Can anyone recommend other options that may fit what I'm looking for? Most of the spreadsheets I have found do not properly import the MF data, or way too difficult to add/customize the cells, or just don't have the necessary functions built in to them. Google and yahoo finance don't read some of the funds I hold, It would be great if there was one with a morningstar function built in. I'm fine with customizing the spreadsheet as long as its straightforward and doesn't require much beyond copy/pasting.
All replies are greatly appreciated!
Matt

PFInterest

Re: User friendly multi-asset rebalancing spreadsheet/program?

Post by PFInterest » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:44 am

seems unnecessary to manage 15 things.
excel will do everything you want.
i just paste in # of shares and i get exactly what i want.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 am

mrfisher315 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 am
I'm looking for a user friendly, less time-consuming option for rebalancing my portfolio which is comprised of mostly mutual funds, some individual bonds. My goal is to maintain the portfolio according to these 15 sub-classes with one mutual fund per class: LCV, LCB, LCG, MCV, MCB, MCG, SCV, SCB, SCG, Int'l Lg, Int'l Sm, EM, US Bonds, Int'l Bonds.
I really don't want to be consumed by tinkering with plug ins and formulas, just want to be able to import my holdings and fairly easily add/customize the asset classes and have it show current vs target balances/percentages, and the needed adjustments for high level rebalancing(Stocks/Bonds/Cash) or sub-class level rebalancing(US Lg Growth/US Lg Value..)
Hey, welcome to the forum.

First, let me say that even TRYING to manage a portfolio with 15 funds is completely unnecessary. The U.S. stock classes absolutely do NOT need nine different funds and can be fully diversified with three or fewer funds. Two international funds is plenty, and the two bond funds are completely optional.

Second, if you just set a target allocation for each fund (something you should only need to do once) a simple spreadsheet should be plenty to accomplish the goal. Yes it will include some formulas, but you only have to do it once. And since rebalancing is something you probably only need to do once a year or so, it shouldn't be onerous to copy and paste the fund balances into the spreadsheet. Hint: this is much easier if you simplify your investment portfolio from 15 funds down to 3-6.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

mrfisher315

Post by mrfisher315 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm

vineviz wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 am
Hey, welcome to the forum.
First, let me say that even TRYING to manage a portfolio with 15 funds is completely unnecessary. The U.S. stock classes absolutely do NOT need nine different funds and can be fully diversified with three or fewer funds. Two international funds is plenty, and the two bond funds are completely optional.
Second, if you just set a target allocation for each fund (something you should only need to do once) a simple spreadsheet should be plenty to accomplish the goal. Yes it will include some formulas, but you only have to do it once. And since rebalancing is something you probably only need to do once a year or so, it shouldn't be onerous to copy and paste the fund balances into the spreadsheet. Hint: this is much easier if you simplify your investment portfolio from 15 funds down to 3-6.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I do see your case for simplicity, however, for me personally I prefer having exposure to not just the broad asset classes(US stock, US Bond, Int'l Stock..) but also control over my exposure to the the sub asset classes as well, there is still a big difference between a small cap growth vs a large cap value stock, corp bond vs govt bond and so forth. I'd just like to be able to control and know which mutual fund or ETF is serving which role. I'm not looking to try and time the markets(nearly impossible to do consistently anyway), but I do believe there are some fund managers that can and do deliver out performance in the long run, especially during extended market downturns where quality stock picking and sideline cash can deliver an advantage. My theory is that as long as most of my funds deliver in line or near their underlying benchmark and do not substantially under-perform their benchmark, all it really takes is 4-5 strong performing fund mangers out of 15 to have a noticeable impact on the long term total return. Some prudent fund research/monitoring of course is required, which is where my morningstar alerts come in.
And yes, re balancing a portfolio of 15 positions is a bit more complicated and time consuming, which is why I'd love to find a spreadsheet that is a little more tailored for that type of portfolio.
Anyone have any suggestions or links of any spreadsheets that are good for customizing/including the sub asset classes? My excel skills are novice at best.

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 pm

I have a similarly complicated asset plan. I made a google sheet which requires each fund value to be manually entered. I takes 20 minutes are so to update but it only takes that long due to having multiple funds in a lot of asset classes. I also duplicated it for inflowing money. I think if you want to have this kind of allocation you need to learn how to use excel/google sheets well enough to construct your own sheet.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 am

mrfisher315 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm
Anyone have any suggestions or links of any spreadsheets that are good for customizing/including the sub asset classes? My excel skills are novice at best.
I would invest the time to learn it if you want to micro-manage your investments as much as you do. I'd also suggest learning Google Sheets, as not only can you use the finance function to get up-to-the-minute quotes on ETFs and funds, but also write scripts to email you when any of your allocations go out of whack, which means less manual checking.

This is what I do. I just update my share counts at the end of the month, and the Google Sheet will email me when I need to rebalance (and it will tell me how much and what to put where). However I only have a 3-fund portfolio, not a 15 fund portfolio.

mrfisher315

Post by mrfisher315 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am

fennewaldaj wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 pm
I have a similarly complicated asset plan. I made a google sheet which requires each fund value to be manually entered. I takes 20 minutes are so to update but it only takes that long due to having multiple funds in a lot of asset classes. I also duplicated it for inflowing money. I think if you want to have this kind of allocation you need to learn how to use excel/google sheets well enough to construct your own sheet.
Well I was hoping to avoid building one from scratch. Would like to find a template that atleast has a good foundation in place that I can customize from there. Most of the ones Ive found online are either too barebones or way too littered with functions I dont need.