Vanguard website "unavailable during weekend of Nov 3"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
rkhusky

Re: Vanguard website "unavailable during weekend of Nov 3"

Post by rkhusky » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:12 am

Was able to access fund information from a Google link without logging in.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 am

Deleting all "vanguard" type cookies allowed the login.

Never had to do that before.

No idea if it will continue to work, or not.

or will I need to manually delete Vanguard cookies again before all future logins...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am

Site is up. Normal login. Was able to do a couple of transactions online.

Nothing looks different to this casual user.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

SpaghettiMonster

Post by SpaghettiMonster » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:45 am

I was just able to log on as well. It's difficult to see what was upgraded from my user end.

Compound

Post by Compound » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 am

Also back up and running for me. Didn’t notice any hiccups.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 am

Compound wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 am
Also back up and running for me. Didn’t notice any hiccups.
Same here. My balances are slightly smaller than the last time that I checked, but I'm quite certain that's not due to the website being down for part of the weekend....

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 am

I worked in IT for 20 years.

Whenever we planned for down times there were always a few that complained and some end users were so called experts. We would chuckle and laugh it off. This thread is not so different.

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am

lostdog wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 am

Whenever we planned for down times there were always a few that complained and some end users were so called experts. We would chuckle and laugh it off. This thread is not so different.
+1
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 am

SpartanFan wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am
lostdog wrote:

+1
4 pages of complaining about Vanguard closing the site for one day. Maybe this was a good thing for the one's that must look at their investments daily. Also, I am sure if anyone was buying or selling they would of done this on Friday. What did the investor before easy access to computer web sites. Go spend better time doing something else on the weekend. Sports anyone?

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 am

Chrome user. Cleared cache and cookies and was able to login. Also don't notice any changes to the site.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 am
SpartanFan wrote:
lostdog wrote:

+1
4 pages of complaining about Vanguard closing the site for one day. Maybe this was a good thing for the one's that must look at their investments daily. Also, I am sure if anyone was buying or selling they would of done this on Friday. What did the investor before easy access to computer web sites. Go spend better time doing something else on the weekend. Sports anyone?
Most of the "complaining" is not about the down time for "fixing/updating" (would be nice) the website.
It is about the lack of adequate notice to all users, such as a *single* email to all.

As pointed out, there are numerous emails and reminder emails for webinars or for each transaction notification (two, actually, one when place, one the next day or so when completed), so why not a single email for something major that affects *everyone* who might try access their financial information.

So easy to do, IF Vanguard had any real interest in client satisfaction.

RM

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 am

I was able to log on to my Vanguard account. Didnt clear cookies or cache. With a quick glance didn't notice any changes.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 am
indexonlyplease wrote:
SpartanFan wrote:
lostdog wrote:

+1
Most of the "complaining" is not about the down time for "fixing/updating" (would be nice) the website.
It is about the lack of adequate notice to all users, such as a *single* email to all.

As pointed out, there are numerous emails and reminder emails for webinars or for each transaction notification (two, actually, one when place, one the next day or so when completed), so why not a single email for something major that affects *everyone* who might try access their financial information.

RM
I do think VG could have sent an email and spun it in a positive way - describe improvements and advantages to customers - and in that sense they missed an opportunity. It could have been more like a promotional email than just a factual notification.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 am
indexonlyplease wrote:
SpartanFan wrote:
lostdog wrote:

+1

RM
I do think VG could have sent an email and spun it in a positive way - describe improvements and advantages to customers - and in that sense they missed an opportunity. It could have been more like a promotional email than just a factual notification.
Exactly!

Not only would it have been far better than no email-to-all notification, but yes... promote it as part of "our ongoing efforts to improve our online services" or such. And IF there would be anything noticeable to end user clients, perhaps promote that, especially.

Instead of making the lemons, make the lemonade.

RM

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 am

Possible it was a hardware and network upgrade and the same applications are in use. I do agree an email and a twitter post would have been nice. Use the feedback and let them know for future outages. You have to tell VG not this forum to ensure the word gets back to decision makers.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:51 am

The website is live and available again.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

As a follow up I have not noticed any changes. While I did not click around a lot I am curious if the downtime was more behind the scenes from a security standpoint.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 am

Housedoc wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:24 am
Possible it was a hardware and network upgrade and the same applications are in use. I do agree an email and a twitter post would have been nice. Use the feedback and let them know for future outages. You have to tell VG not this forum to ensure the word gets back to decision makers.
Good luck with that.

It's just about impossible to get anyone's attention at Vanguard, even when there is an egregious error*.
Queries using their secure messaging most frequently get canned responses that aren't actually addressing the question at hand.

(*One "good example" comes to mind: They simply cancelled a transaction - purchase of a Vanguard mutual fund - after having it "pending" for about 2-3 weeks, which they also denied -> while it was actually happening. We took screen shots of it all, almost daily. Then the long-pending transaction simply went "poof" and despite their own many statements of "it will clear by tomorrow, I'm sure", etc., suddenly, they denied there had ever been any such transaction at all! :annoyed Meanwhile, "the market kept moving..." Eventually, it took communication by Employer's head of HR to get some attention. Bottom line, Vanguard finally gave a song and dance excuse, and reinstated the purchase per the day we actually made it, and thus we had the appropriate upside. If we can't get attention for something like *that*, why should we bother to tell them what they should well know... that some/many clients won't like it if they unexpectedly cannot access their financial information, with no notice. Why is that surprising!? Apparently the holy members of the Steering Committee get the ear of Vanguard, but not the rest of us.)

RM

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am

I'm sure if you had 3 or 4 billion banked at Vanguard, you probably got the heads up on the Vanguard upgrade. For the rest of the unwashed masses....get over it.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

cryptormorf

Post by cryptormorf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am

I was able to login this morning as well and everything appears to be working. My device was initially not recognized so I had to enter a new code. I'm not seeing any changes other than the page load times seem faster, but that could just be reduced load on a weekend.

However, the issue with buying/exchanging funds in Google Chrome 70 that was previously mentioned by me and others has not been fixed. I reported the issue to Vanguard with detailed repro steps, including screenshots of the HTML source where the extra white space characters in the Fund Description auto complete are causing the input validation to trigger incorrectly, early last week. I received a secure message on Thursday that Vanguard is "not able to determine the cause". I don't think they tried very hard :oops: . It will probably take a critical mass of customers reporting the issue before it's addressed.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am

As I write this, Sunday morning, Eastern Standard Time, it looks up again, although I haven't and won't try to do extensive software quality assurance on it. All my account totals are showing, a "transact" button is available, and when I click it I get the usual next screen. I'm not going to actually complete an order just to see if I can do it.

In the past, I've gotten the impression that Vanguard has more than one big servers and/or data centers and that not everybody experiences the same thing at the same time, so "works for me" may not mean "works for you."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 am

When I sign in, I'm immediately taken to the page informing me that I've signed off and that I should close my browser just in case it retains any information about my session, so that's nice.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:02 am

drk wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 am
When I sign in, I'm immediately taken to the page informing me that I've signed off and that I should close my browser just in case it retains any information about my session, so that's nice.
That happened to us first thing today.

Try clearing any Vanguard-related cookies. That fixed it for us.

RM

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

The site is working for me now, but it might matter if you have a mutual fund or brokerage account. Mine is a mutual fund account.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:20 am

They've broken the account views. :annoyed

My Accounts --> Account Overvew (Balances tab). Above the tabs in desktop view is this link:
The holdings you've hidden in your customized view are excluded from the information displayed on this page.
You customize this view for everything below. This is a change from the prior layout.

I have user agent authorization for my Mom. Customizing the view to include / exclude her accounts from my view is problematic at best. At one point, I was totally unable to see her accounts until I hit "Reset".

The account view does not reflect my user agent selections as expected. I have to go back and forth between the tabs and it might be correct. Maybe not.

My Mom has two accounts - Traditional IRA and taxable. Checking both boxes only shows the taxable account in the account balance and holdings. I have to "Reset" the view to restore both accounts.

I'm thinking they've fixed their back-end database problems but broke something else.

To say this in the best possible light and repeating what I've stated before - If I was judging Vanguard solely on their website, I'd look elsewhere.

Update: I forgot to mention that when I logged in yesterday, my landline was called for a security code to login (two-factor authentication). Today, there was no two-factor authentication and I was able to login directly.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:38 am

I just logged in. Everything was exactly the same except my account was smaller due to the drop in the market.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 am

I have some accounts that I do not want to see all the time, like 529 plans and BIL's account via authorized agent.

However, after selecting them again to display I see everything I used to see, can't tell what exactly is missing for LadyGeek.

I drilled down into the accounts to individual investments, can't see any difference at all.

FWIW, I am on the brokerage platform.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Does your BIL have one account (one person with one account)? I have two (one person, two accounts). Perhaps it can't handle two accounts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 pm

peppers wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am
I'm sure if you had 3 or 4 billion banked at Vanguard, you probably got the heads up on the Vanguard upgrade. For the rest of the unwashed masses....get over it.
In all of recorded history it has never worked like this. There's no getting over it. The higher caste will always get what's coming to them, unless the lower caste is included. Vanguard better get its act together!

cheers!
jwf

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:27 pm

juliewongferra wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 pm
peppers wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am
In all of recorded history it has never worked like this. There's no getting over it. The higher caste will always get what's coming to them, unless the lower caste is included. Vanguard better get its act together!

cheers!
jwf
Umm... generally life has always worked like that.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 pm

As a PSA, we logged into our accounts to verify name, address, email, alerts, bank info and beneficiaries. It was all there.

However, we are getting the large pop up. "Up grade your account now in three easy steps."
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Compound

Post by Compound » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:25 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:16 pm
Does your BIL have one account (one person with one account)? I have two (one person, two accounts). Perhaps it can't handle two accounts.
That’s strange LG. I can see all four of my mom’s accounts, just like before the update. I hope Vanguard gets the error you’re experiencing figured out!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 am
Deleting all "vanguard" type cookies allowed the login.

Never had to do that before.

No idea if it will continue to work, or not.

or will I need to manually delete Vanguard cookies again before all future logins...

RM
Once you've deleted the old cookies once, you're in business.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:02 am
drk wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 am
That happened to us first thing today.

Try clearing any Vanguard-related cookies. That fixed it for us.

RM
Deleting Vanguard cookies worked for me, too.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Crustus

Post by Crustus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Logged on normally today and setup some transactions (no cookie flushing required). AFAIK nothing changed from Friday, website looks and acts the same. :?: I assume all the upgrades were in the back end.

Would I like to know what changed? - Yes, in broad strokes.
Do I really need to know? - Probably not but, ...
And . . .

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I cleared my browser cookies and logged on, I don't' see any difference. Are these changes for the brokerage platform? I didn't give them permission to switch me to that new one.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:33 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:16 pm
Just added all my BIL's accounts (taxable, Roth, TIRA ) and all 529 accounts to my displayed accounts. They all displayed just as before.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:47 pm
badger42 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 pm
What is this, the 1990s? Proper distributed systems have been a widely deployed thing for at least 15 years.

Seriously, if you can't do 100% of the work on your web site with zero downtime, you are doing it wrong. Exceptions can be made for very small startups, but not companies with trillions of assets under management.
May not be the website but rather whats behind it. Would not surprise me one bit to find out that Vanguard still has some IBM mainframes running custom COBOL software. They've put focus on low fees not modern IT at least from what I've seen. Accurate cost basis accounting would be helpful.
Not long ago, I saw an article (maybe in WSJ) about how in demand people are who have skills with older systems. Lots of companies still use these 'outdated' systems, and the people who have been maintaining them are retiring!

michaeljmroger

Post by michaeljmroger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:57 pm

lostdog wrote:

Yeah, that’s literally how it worked 20 years ago, but not today. I don’t personally care about this downtime per se, but it says a lot about their code base infrastructure. Not a single modern tech company would need to do that.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 am

Mr.BB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 pm
I cleared my browser cookies and logged on, I don't' see any difference. Are these changes for the brokerage platform? I didn't give them permission to switch me to that new one.
I logged on this morning with no issues. I also don't see any changes. They still have the inconsistent mix of old and new web UIs.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am

I did see now without logging on that they changed some of their descriptions / categories under the mutual funds.
For instance, they now isolated the categories of Emerging Markets and they also change the name of the gold fund and they also have a new manager for it.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 am

I have the problem that my landline went down and ATT won't be out until later this week (about 5 days) -I always thought it would be more secure to get the code over the phone, but now if they call, they just get a busy signal....

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 am

Monster99 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 am
I have the problem that my landline went down and ATT won't be out until later this week (about 5 days) -I always thought it would be more secure to get the code over the phone, but now if they call, they just get a busy signal....
I had a similar type situation with our bank. I was able to talk to the technical support group there and they were able to change my 2FA to "secret question" which gave me access through a different door.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Monster99 wrote:
5 days???? I would fire ATT. Too many options these days for a phone. Landline or mobile.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:21 pm
Monster99 wrote:
5 days???? I would fire ATT. Too many options these days for a phone. Landline or mobile.
Not in rural areas
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Maybe it is due to the fact that, for our company 401k, they failed to take out any sort of allocation the week prior. Although they apologized, that should never happen. They advised us to "change your allocation for the rest of the year to account for it." Strange.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:44 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Monster99 wrote:
Not in rural areas
Yep. We lost internet the other day and were quoted a repair of a few days out by Frontier. But I flagged down a repair truck and the tech had us back in service quickly. Only had an outage of an hour or so. We got lucky, no doubt.

Broken Man 1999

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Monster99 wrote:
I have a mobile, but if I remember correctly, I need to be logged on to change the 2FA to the cell phone (text or talk)…

I would actually be concerned if I was allowed to change it over the phone.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Monster99 wrote:
We cut our phone line cord a couple of weeks ago. No difference to us as we had only been using cell. Just a lower monthly bill.

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Apparently, we complained a lot:
http://www2.philly.com/philly/business/ ... 81105.html
I personally did not check since, as a Boglehead, we are not supposed to be looking :D