Vanguard website "unavailable during weekend of Nov 3"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Ricchan

Vanguard website "unavailable during weekend of Nov 3"

Post by Ricchan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Saw this message at the top of the Vanguard website just now:

If they're going to be down the entire weekend, that might be a cause for concern for anyone who had planned to place orders during that weekend for the Nov. 5 Treasury auction for 13-week and 26-week bills.

Hopefully they use this downtime to update their system so that future updates and fixes can be done without requiring any downtime. :)

PFInterest

Re: Vanguard website "unavailable during weekend of Nov 3"

Post by PFInterest » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 am

or you could put int he order on friday.
or early monday AM.

John151

Post by John151 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Does anyone know the reason?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:11 pm

I did see this. I am curious if a lot of the differences in the viewable screen by person (some folks have a different experience I believe) will be resolved.

The website appears to be a hybrid of the old site and a new site.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mr.BB

Platform changes?

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I just logged on to Vanguard's site and on the top border they had this statement
"Our website is scheduled to be unavailable during the weekend of November 3, 2018. Thank you for your patience"

I wonder if they are going to do a platform change then?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

fsh71

Re: Platform changes?

Post by fsh71 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm

That's when they're forcing everyone to 3-factor authentication. Should go over well :D

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

fsh71 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm
That's when they're forcing everyone to 3-factor authentication. Should go over well :D
Now what is this 3-factor authentication? I've just barely got over learning the 2-factor, don't tell me there is yet another new thing to learn already?

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Seems like it is already down. Trying to TLH and can't even get an order in today.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

kotsp

Post by kotsp » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:02 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm
Seems like it is already down. Trying to TLH and can't even get an order in today.
Yes, I cannot even buy a MF. The order page is broke.

ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:05 pm

I added to several ETFs throughout the day today, including immediately prior to the close.

I experienced no delays or load failures.
Polymath.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm

kotsp wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:02 pm
Yes, I had similar problems when using Chrome. I switched to Firefox and was able to get my TLH orders in.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:11 pm

hornet96 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm
kotsp wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:02 pm
Yes, I had similar problems when using Chrome. I switched to Firefox and was able to get my TLH orders in.
I was fine around 11am CST using Internet Explorer. Just moved money from bank to settlement account though.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:14 pm

No problems at all with transactions late in the afternoon.

Right now, I can see all balances and performance data, etc., and actually get details on both Vanguard and non-Vanguard MF's.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm

I merged Mr.BB's thread into the on-going discussion.

I'm just glad they're doing this on a weekend.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm
fsh71 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm
Now what is this 3-factor authentication? I've just barely got over learning the 2-factor, don't tell me there is yet another new thing to learn already?
Taking the question seriously, the three factors are:

Something you know (like your password);
Something you have (like your cellphone to receive an SMS message, not the best method but pretty common); and
Something you are (like a DNA sample).

Any two are more secure than just one, although there can be implementation flaws that defeat the purpose.

I'm sure Vanguard is not going to ask us to swab our cheeks (or submit retinal artery patterns or whatever) to log in, but I do note for phoning in they have implemented optional voice recognition, which counts as something you are.

PJW

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:41 pm

I suppose it may be down now, but isn't 3 November next weekend?

PJW

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Wow, when I worked for Vanguard IT (almost 20 years), our planned website outages were no more than 2 hours, usually in wee hours of Sunday, and justified for only for a few major changes in a year. It would have been unimaginable to plan an outage for an entire weekend.

IcedDog

Post by IcedDog » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:36 pm

vectorizer wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:07 pm
Wow, when I worked for Vanguard IT (almost 20 years), our planned website outages were no more than 2 hours, usually in wee hours of Sunday, and justified for only for a few major changes in a year. It would have been unimaginable to plan an outage for an entire weekend.
Hmm, then perhaps it'll be a complete overhaul of their interface?

HappyWorkerBee

Post by HappyWorkerBee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:46 pm

They might just be hedging against unknown unknowns by under-promising in the hopes of over-delivering. People would be a lot more bothered if they said they'd be up and they weren't than if they said they'd be down and they were up and running.

Given the problems they've had recently it seems likely that they need substantial infrastructure changes in order for their system to scale well. It seems like that kind of upgrade isn't something they've done regularly in the past so allowing plenty of time to get it done and tested is reasonable.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 pm

What is this, the 1990s? Proper distributed systems have been a widely deployed thing for at least 15 years.

Seriously, if you can't do 100% of the work on your web site with zero downtime, you are doing it wrong. Exceptions can be made for very small startups, but not companies with trillions of assets under management.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:47 pm

badger42 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 pm
What is this, the 1990s? Proper distributed systems have been a widely deployed thing for at least 15 years.

Seriously, if you can't do 100% of the work on your web site with zero downtime, you are doing it wrong. Exceptions can be made for very small startups, but not companies with trillions of assets under management.
May not be the website but rather whats behind it. Would not surprise me one bit to find out that Vanguard still has some IBM mainframes running custom COBOL software. They've put focus on low fees not modern IT at least from what I've seen. Accurate cost basis accounting would be helpful.

cryptormorf

Post by cryptormorf » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:57 pm

+1 Unable to proceed with a fund order after selecting the mutual fund from the autocomplete/lookup when using Google Chrome. The autocomplete adds a white space (a tab character) to the end of the fund description, which causes the input validation to fail and does not allow you to continue. I sent a full bug report via secure messaging so hopefully the developers will be made aware.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:54 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:47 pm
badger42 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 pm

May not be the website but rather whats behind it. Would not surprise me one bit to find out that Vanguard still has some IBM mainframes running custom COBOL software. They've put focus on low fees not modern IT at least from what I've seen. Accurate cost basis accounting would be helpful.
+1

Very, very likely the backend is COBOL. Databases on MF computers and batch processing.

Paul Romano

Post by Paul Romano » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:24 am

I find the Vanguard message about the upcoming web outage vague and concerning.

When will the website be unavailable?

What hours does the weekend of November 3, cover. Does it start Friday at 5 PM.

Typically this type of messaging would state the planned hours that the website will not be available. Will the site be down for 12, 24 or 48 hours?

If anything, overstate the hours.

Why is the website being shut down?

Should we expect major changes when we next logon when the website becomes available again.

Is the outage to correct the problems from a few weeks ago when the website and phones were unavailable.

Vanguard needs to provide more then a single sentence thanking us for our patience.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:31 am

Paul Romano wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:24 am
I find the Vanguard message about the upcoming web outage vague and concerning.

When will the website be unavailable?

What hours does the weekend of November 3, cover. Does it start Friday at 5 PM.

Typically this type of messaging would state the planned hours that the website will not be available. Will the site be down for 12, 24 or 48 hours?

If anything, overstate the hours.

Why is the website being shut down?

Should we expect major changes when we next logon when the website becomes available again.

Is the outage to correct the problems from a few weeks ago when the website and phones were unavailable.

Vanguard needs to provide more then a single sentence thanking us for our patience.
+1

Even if they don't know quite how long this will last, presumably they do know (???) when the website will first be unavailable?
Or are they rolling dice to determine the start time of whatever work is planned?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

I only see the message when logged in. If they are going to disable logins, why not display the message on their publicly viewable pages?

For example... "Client access will not be available from from 12:01 AM November 3 through 11:59 PM November 4th Eastern time. See ... for further information."

If I was judging a company by the quality of their website alone, I'd look elsewhere.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am

cryptormorf wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:57 pm
+1 Unable to proceed with a fund order after selecting the mutual fund from the autocomplete/lookup when using Google Chrome. The autocomplete adds a white space (a tab character) to the end of the fund description, which causes the input validation to fail and does not allow you to continue. I sent a full bug report via secure messaging so hopefully the developers will be made aware.
Indeed, the latest Google Chrome browser(Version 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)) on windows seems to have introduced problems. I tried to exchange funds recently and the exchange screen complained about "invalid fund name". Fund exchange worked fine with I.E. with the same ticker symbols. So the problem appears to be isolated to Chrome browser on Windows.

Boglesmind

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:50 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Very, very likely the backend is COBOL. Databases on MF computers and batch processing.
I'm 99% sure that it is (or was in the past). I remember looking at software developer job openings there about 5 years ago and seeing that it was a mixture of Java and COBOL.

Paul Romano

Post by Paul Romano » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

I only see the message when logged in. If they are going to disable logins, why not display the message on their publicly viewable pages?

For example... "Client access will not be available from from 12:01 AM November 3 through 11:59 PM November 4th Eastern time. See ... for further information."

If I was judging a company by the quality of their website alone, I'd look elsewhere.
My experience is just the opposite.

I see the message prior to logging on using the App

I have to click okay to get the message to disappear and can then logon. No message once I'm logged on.

I plan on taking screenshots of my account balances on Friday after the market closes and prior to the Vanguard website going dark. I will verify holdings when the website comes back online.

I don't recall this ever occurring previously and I am concerned. I would like to see Vanguard provide a fuller explanation as to why the website is not going to be available and the specific hours of the outage.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:34 pm

OK, website will be down.

Will we be able to download transactions to Quicken, Mint or whatever?

Thoughts?
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 pm

It could just be account information that is down, i.e. stuff that requires higher security. Perhaps the usual fund lookup information will be available.

Just this morning I couldn't access the bill-pay info on my bank's web site. Everything else was available when I logged in.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 pm

This is not a big deal. I don't understand why everyone wants to make it into a big deal. Just relax and enjoy the weekend. You can do your trades on Friday or Monday. I'll be buying VTSAX on Thursday.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 pm
This is not a big deal. I don't understand why everyone wants to make it into a big deal. Just relax and enjoy the weekend. You can do your trades on Friday or Monday. I'll be buying VTSAX on Thursday.
Trades - yes.

Downloading your positions and prices - not so much.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 pm
Trades - yes.

Downloading your positions and prices - not so much.
You can download your positions and prices on Friday or Monday.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 pm

#FirstWorldProblems

Amazing some of the reactions to site maintenance. Many financial institutions do this many times a year.

I update every Saturday morning. This week I will update Friday and be done.

RDWHAHB.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 pm

vectorizer wrote:
The notice did not say the site would be down for the "entire" weekend.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:12 pm
Friday's transactions are not usually available until the overnight "run" is completed. Early Saturday I think.

Monday means I lost the availability to make good use of my weekend time.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am

mptfan wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 pm
vectorizer wrote:
Absent a more restricted time reference during the weekend implies the entire weekend. They may get done sooner but it is extremely unusual for any financial institution to be down for more than a few hours of scheduled maintenance. I find it odd that knowing this that Vanguard does not supply a fuller explanation for such an extended outage. They are a mutual company and owe us a more open and transparent explanation of what is being done that requires such a long outage.

Our website is scheduled to be unavailable during the weekend of November 3, 2018. Thank you for your patience.
TO BE CLEAR - I am not concerned about not having access during the weekend - I am concerned about their silence and lack of transparency for such an abnormal outage.

Cheers

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:08 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Friday's transactions are not usually available until the overnight "run" is completed. Early Saturday I think.

Well, hate to sound harsh, but I would rather Vanguard upgrade their website even if it makes it harder for some to make good use of their weekend time.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:08 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Well, hate to sound harsh, but I would rather Vanguard upgrade their website even if it makes it harder for some to make good use of their weekend time.
Agreed. I just wanted to know if we could download our data. I don't need Vanguard's website to do that.

But I can't do it on Friday because Friday's trades and prices aren't available until Saturday AM.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am
mptfan wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 pm
vectorizer wrote:
Absent a more restricted time reference during the weekend implies the entire weekend. They may get done sooner but it is extremely unusual for any financial institution to be down for more than a few hours of scheduled maintenance. I find it odd that knowing this that Vanguard does not supply a fuller explanation for such an extended outage. They are a mutual company and owe us a more open and transparent explanation of what is being done that requires such a long outage.
I guess I really don't care whether it is unusual for a financial institution to be down for more than a few hours of scheduled maintenance. If Vanguard needs more than a few hours over a weekend to update or maintain their systems, and they give me notice, I really don't care and they can take as much time as they need over the weekend.

msimon

Post by msimon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm

I asked my flagship rep for more specific information about the outage. This is their response:

"External websites will be unavailable as of approximately 6 a.m. Eastern time,
Saturday, November 3, until no approximately 4 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday,
November 4. For Retail clients and Institutional retirement plan
participants, vanguard.com will be unavailable beginning at approximately 2
a.m. Eastern time and will have the ability to log on and see static
balances (as of close of business Friday, November 2) beginning at
approximately 8 a.m. Eastern time."

I don't really fully understand this response - perhaps someone else will have better luck.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm

"External website" probably refers to what we see, i.e. the rep is using an "internal" website.

Vanguard splits their site into several subdomains, e.g. investor. vanguard.com or institutional.vanguard.com. I think that's what the rep meant by the different participants.

Other than that, there's not enough info to figure it out.

Daylight savings time ends at 2 AM Sunday. That means they have an extra hour to work on it. :)

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:04 am

msimon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm
I asked my flagship rep for more specific information about the outage. This is their response:

"External websites will be unavailable as of approximately 6 a.m. Eastern time,
Saturday, November 3, until no approximately 4 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday,
November 4. For Retail clients and Institutional retirement plan
participants, vanguard.com will be unavailable beginning at approximately 2
a.m. Eastern time and will have the ability to log on and see static
balances (as of close of business Friday, November 2) beginning at
approximately 8 a.m. Eastern time."

I don't really fully understand this response - perhaps someone else will have better luck.
It sounds like no login from 2 am EDT to 8 am EDT Saturday. Login, but no transactions, 8 am EDT Saturday to 4 pm EST Sunday.

phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 am

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm
I'm sure Vanguard is not going to ask us to swab our cheeks (or submit retinal artery patterns or whatever) to log in, but I do note for phoning in they have implemented optional voice recognition, which counts as something you are.

PJW
Schwab uses fingerprint scan on mobile in place of something you know (password) for convenience, so unfortunately it isn’t more secure.
iPhoneXs key feature was supposed to be facial recognition which is another candidate.
I don’t think the sensors are reliable enough yet, so require a backup method, but you probably know this.

PSA: try to switch away from SMS 2FA if possible (receiving a text with a number). They provide little to no security. Software tokens are more secure.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am

phantom0308 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 am
Schwab uses fingerprint scan on mobile in place of something you know (password) for convenience, so unfortunately it isn’t more secure.
Schwab offers two factor authentication using the Symantec VIP App which is a software token or one time password as the second factor, I think that is very secure.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 am

Maybe they are switching to the .vanguard TLD. In any case a massive overhaul is long overdue. This is a welcome sight.
Frugality, indexing, time.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:55 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am
phantom0308 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 am
Schwab offers two factor authentication using the Symantec VIP App which is a software token or one time password as the second factor, I think that is very secure.
Same for Etrade. Much prefer Symantec VIP over Vanguard's phone calls/text msgs.
Text msgs have already proven to be hackable.
And Symantec solution is widely used, paypal uses same.

But in the end, everything is hackable... what happens when you lose your phone and can't access VIP ?
Social engineering happens.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:59 pm

For those freaking out, as an IT person, I am not so concerned that this means there is some major problem.
I have often faced planning an entire weekend long system upgrade.
Major upgrades with large data conversions can take hours, followed by need to validate success.
When I have a project that I expect to take the entire day Saturday, I tell users that there will be no access
other than testers of the new software version, until Monday morning. But I do expect if all goes well that the
software is running Sat eve or latest Sun morning, so there is time for unexpected test results to be resolved.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:22 pm

blevine wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:55 pm
But in the end, everything is hackable... what happens when you lose your phone and can't access VIP ?
Social engineering happens.
You set up the VIP app on more than one device...another phone, a tablet, a Chromebook. That way if you lose your phone you can use the app on the other device as a backup. If all else fails, you then have to call Schwab and prove your identity over the phone to access your account. Schwab uses voice identification in addition to the normal screening questions, and they have the option of setting up an enhanced security code on your account (that you select) which means you have to know that code everytime you call them or else they will freeze your account. The enhanced security code is different than your account password. If you do not provide the enhanced security code when you call, you have to go to a Schwab office in person and present two forms of ID to re-establish account access.

Ideally Schwab and Vanguard would offer the most secure option of using physical security keys like the ones offered by Yubikey as two step verification without the ability to default back to SMS texts or other options to get around it. Vanguard offers the option of using a security key now, but you can get around it and default back to SMS texting and I think that almost defeats the purpose of using a security key in the first place. I think (hope) offering the security key as an option is one step in that direction.