What's everyone currently in?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.

magicrat
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by magicrat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
Total US Stock, Total Intl Stock, Total Bond

What changes would you make and why?

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13016
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Toons » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Index funds
Some managed funds
Some individual equities.
Bond Funds
Years and Years.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

alfaspider
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by alfaspider » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
But why? There has been similar volatility several times over the last few years.

I also think your Roth is where you want to swing for the fences. I am most aggressive on the Roth (100% VTI) because its benefit is tax-free appreciation, and I view it as "bonus" money for a hopeful early retirement. I am slightly less aggressive (80/20) on my 401k, and I am even less aggressive (60/40) on my taxable because my time horizon is shorter.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 6120
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by JoMoney » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:24 pm

I keep enough in cash and short-term bonds that I sleep well at night, and the rest in low cost S&P 500 index fund(s).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

stocknoob4111
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by stocknoob4111 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:30 pm

55% domestic, 16% total Intl, 3% EM, 24% bonds, 2% cash

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm

50% US, 15% Intl 35% short term cash bond.

Flyer24
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Flyer24 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:37 pm

I have not changed a thing. I only adjust my allocation target on my birthday to gradually get more conservative.

Jordan4FI
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am
Location: Honduras

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Jordan4FI » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Vanguard Target Dates (Taxable 2035& RothIRA 2050) but upon hitting 60/40 in the Target 2035, will switch to 60/40 LifeStrategy at age 46ish..
Last edited by Jordan4FI on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegreathambino
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by thegreathambino » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Doing a re-org as we speak. Not because of volatility, just coincidence and I'm wondering if now would be a good time to lump sum some money into the market.

Its always hard to know when to buy, sell, etc - so my strategy is to not over-analyze, broaden your risk, and always remember you are in it for the long haul. Don't make premature changes due to volatility, rely on your pre-planned risk spreading strategy remembering you knew there would be ups and downs to deal with. Stay the course.

glennherwig
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by glennherwig » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Roth: I’m 100% stocks. SCHG
In my employer 401k: I use a target date fund JFFIX it’s a 2055. As I’m only 21 years old I think this is the best year to set it at.
In my taxable: I have stocks, bonds, gold and liquid alt etfs. Here’s the list SCHG, TLT, SGOL, DYLS, WTMF, QAI, QED, MCRO, QMN.

If your looking to hedge. Liquid alts are great. If you are looking for capital preservation these are also good. But if you are looking to grow capital these are very bad. Just my opinion as someone that hasn’t been invested in them for a few months now. I’m very content with my portfolio and how it’s weathered the down turn.

LinusP
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by LinusP » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:21 pm

When I shifted my tax-advantaged accounts from target-date funds to total stock, total international, etc. (mostly for tax efficiency), I also moved my emergency fund to TSP G (which is great because that shifted stocks to taxable, where I had a great TLH yesterday) and shifted bonds from total bond to VSIGX, which should hold up well on the way down. Still mulling over whether I'll shift back to total bond at some point or keep things as they are.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48595
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:33 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).
thegreathambino wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:51 pm
Doing a re-org as we speak. Not because of volatility, just coincidence and I'm wondering if now would be a good time to lump sum some money into the market.

Its always hard to know when to buy, sell, etc - so my strategy is to not over-analyze, broaden your risk, and always remember you are in it for the long haul. Don't make premature changes due to volatility, rely on your pre-planned risk spreading strategy remembering you knew there would be ups and downs to deal with. Stay the course.
FYI - thegreathambino is asking for assistance in this thread: Help/advice on new investment plan - Vanguard funds, AA, and more

glennherwig, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bayview
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by bayview » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Fixed: G fund (TSP), treasuries up to two years, CDs (transitioning from 3 year to 2 year ladder), a small amount in VG MM funds (federal and prime)

Equities: C and S funds (TSP US large -cap and completion respectively), VTSAX (total US Admiral), VIMAX (mid-cap US Admiral), VFSVX (international small-cap)

The fixed are in a "floor" or risk portfolio of 20-25 years worth of needed funds. All the rest other than a dribble of MM is in the equity funds. Using the the dribble of MM to get international back up to 20-25%.

I retired two weeks ago, just as stocks went blooie. Sorry, everyone. :D or possibly :oops:
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

jalbert
Posts: 3815
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by jalbert » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
If you haven’t touched it in years, it probably deviates from your asset allocation a fair bit. Rebalancing to get back to your asset allocation is a sensible response. If your stock allocation currently is overweight relative to your established asset allocation, rebalancing back to allocation will reduce risk and reduce exposure to a steep sell off or bear market in stocks
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 10499
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Toons wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:18 pm
Index funds
Some managed funds
Some individual equities.
Bond Funds
Years and Years.
:happy
Ditto.
A fool and his money are good for business.

balbrec2
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by balbrec2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Flyer24 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:37 pm
I have not changed a thing. I only adjust my allocation target on my birthday to gradually get more conservative.
smart thinking, right there!

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 pm
Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
But why? There has been similar volatility several times over the last few years.

I also think your Roth is where you want to swing for the fences. I am most aggressive on the Roth (100% VTI) because its benefit is tax-free appreciation, and I view it as "bonus" money for a hopeful early retirement. I am slightly less aggressive (80/20) on my 401k, and I am even less aggressive (60/40) on my taxable because my time horizon is shorter.
I hear you on that and it makes total sense however with the markets being as high as they are it seems difficult to go full speeed aggressive. But you’re right the longer the time horizon the more risks you can take. I’m about 20 years away from retirement myself.

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Jordan4FI wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Vanguard Target Dates (Taxable 2035& RothIRA 2050) but upon hitting 60/40 in the Target 2035, will switch to 60/40 LifeStrategy at age 46ish..
How did you come up with these dates? Just curious because my TSP at work (essentially a 401k) is index funds also and they have a fund called lifecycle. It automatically brings your percentages to a more conservative number the closer you get to retirement.

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

glennherwig wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:00 pm
Roth: I’m 100% stocks. SCHG
In my employer 401k: I use a target date fund JFFIX it’s a 2055. As I’m only 21 years old I think this is the best year to set it at.
In my taxable: I have stocks, bonds, gold and liquid alt etfs. Here’s the list SCHG, TLT, SGOL, DYLS, WTMF, QAI, QED, MCRO, QMN.

If your looking to hedge. Liquid alts are great. If you are looking for capital preservation these are also good. But if you are looking to grow capital these are very bad. Just my opinion as someone that hasn’t been invested in them for a few months now. I’m very content with my portfolio and how it’s weathered the down turn.
Wow you’re really ahead of the game at 21 years of age good for you! I’ll look into those liquid alts thanks.

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:40 pm

bayview wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:35 pm
Fixed: G fund (TSP), treasuries up to two years, CDs (transitioning from 3 year to 2 year ladder), a small amount in VG MM funds (federal and prime)

Equities: C and S funds (TSP US large -cap and completion respectively), VTSAX (total US Admiral), VIMAX (mid-cap US Admiral), VFSVX (international small-cap)

The fixed are in a "floor" or risk portfolio of 20-25 years worth of needed funds. All the rest other than a dribble of MM is in the equity funds. Using the the dribble of MM to get international back up to 20-25%.

I retired two weeks ago, just as stocks went blooie. Sorry, everyone. :D or possibly :oops:
Well it’s all rebounding nicely seems like you set yourself up quite nicely congrats on the retirement!

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:41 pm

jalbert wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 pm
Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
If you haven’t touched it in years, it probably deviates from your asset allocation a fair bit. Rebalancing to get back to your asset allocation is a sensible response. If your stock allocation currently is overweight relative to your established asset allocation, rebalancing back to allocation will reduce risk and reduce exposure to a steep sell off or bear market in stocks
Yes exactly this is what I need to do. Where can I read more about how to do this? Long overdue.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by zonto » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Same thing I was yesterday and the day before and the day before...
  • 21% total U.S. market index
  • 7% small cap (S&P small cap 600)
  • 7% U.S. REIT and real estate index
  • 28% total international market index
  • 7% international REIT and real estate index
  • 20% total U.S. bond index
  • 10% total international bond index (USD hedged)
Next time the US is in an official bear market, I'll reduce the bond allocation by 10%. If the S&P500 drops more than 30% from peak, then I'll go 100% equities. International officially entered "bear" territory yesterday, and I've been using most new contributions for international equities this year.
“Diversification is about accepting good enough while missing out on great but avoiding terrible.” - Ben Carlson

Jordan4FI
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am
Location: Honduras

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Jordan4FI » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:35 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 pm
Jordan4FI wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Vanguard Target Dates (Taxable 2035& RothIRA 2050) but upon hitting 60/40 in the Target 2035, will switch to 60/40 LifeStrategy at age 46ish..
How did you come up with these dates? Just curious because my TSP at work (essentially a 401k) is index funds also and they have a fund called lifecycle. It automatically brings your percentages to a more conservative number the closer you get to retirement.
On Vanguard you can see where these funds will be %wise on a sliding scale. So I went with 2035 for my preferred risk at this age and then it will slowly glide down to 60/40 at about age 46, I plan to walk away from having to work before age 40. I will be ok with a 60/40 AA from 46-60ish because I will be living in Thailand where 15K (including health insurance) a year I can survive quite well if need be and live very well on 24K+ a year. Then in later age 55-60-65+ I may drop down to a 40/60 AA. The 2050 in my IRA is just to stay more aggressive longer until I am 59.5 where I would have access to it, though I would not plan to touch it until a real need, plus with the few hundred $ per month I will get from SS in the future, that will also lower what I will need to withdraw from my portfolio.

greenback
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by greenback » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 am

401K - 100% State Street SP500
Vanguard - 100% VTSAX

MotoTrojan
Posts: 2461
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am

Total Market, Small-value (S&P600), and Total International. Not changing but I did just harvest my US equity losses today (International I hit earlier this month and waiting to potentially harvest back further losses to my core holding).

100% equity and no qualms.

User avatar
cinghiale
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by cinghiale » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 am

I suspect the question includes/implies something like, “What’s everyone currently in given the long-term uptrend of the stock market and the current breathtaking nosedives of the same?”

Our asset allocation incorporates a variation of Bill Bernstein’s “Liability Matching Portfolio.” At present, that means we have almost eight years of overall expenses, and twelve years of trimmed-down core expenses safely tucked away in Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX) and TIAA Traditional. All the rest of our portfolio is detail, as this combination will safely see us up to maximum Social Security benefits (at age 70) and RMDs from our other holdings.

We accept a more conservative asset allocation (40/60, with Wellesley Income anchoring our other holdings) in order to have the LMP in place. And, to reach back into past threads and discussions, it fulfills the following:

1) Mr. Bogle’s “age in bonds” suggestion.
2) Larry Swedroe’s test of “ability, willingness, and need” to take risk.
3) An old Boglehead formula of “maximum tolerable loss x 2” as a ceiling for equity holdings.**
4) The “sleep at night” test.

(**per "ability" mentioned in #2 above, how much of a loss could you take in your portfolio-- specifically your equity holdings-- before it would force you to act (read: sell out)? One former poster suggested "maximum tolerable loss x 2" as a ceiling for equity holdings as a good way to gauge this. So, if a 25% drop in your portfolio would cause undue pain and suffering, and would create a high probability of bailing out, you would/should limit your equity allocation to 50% or less of your total portfolio.)
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am
Total Market, Small-value (S&P600), and Total International. Not changing but I did just harvest my US equity losses today (International I hit earlier this month and waiting to potentially harvest back further losses to my core holding).

100% equity and no qualms.
Did you tlh small value as well? Trying to find a right partner for VSIAX without using ETFs

Teague
Posts: 1179
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Teague » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 am

What's everyone currently in?

L Brands

I'm in ladies' underwear.
Semper Augustus

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

My Roth IRA is in Vanguard Target Retirement Fund 2045. It was the most aggressive one they had when I started investing. I should probably switch to 2050 one of these days, but I imagine they're pretty much identical right now at 90/10.

My 401k is in a similar target retirement fund, too, but with American Funds.

MotoTrojan
Posts: 2461
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am
Total Market, Small-value (S&P600), and Total International. Not changing but I did just harvest my US equity losses today (International I hit earlier this month and waiting to potentially harvest back further losses to my core holding).

100% equity and no qualms.
Did you tlh small value as well? Trying to find a right partner for VSIAX without using ETFs
Tax-managed small cap is a decent option. Follows the smaller S&P600 index which I prefer greatly over Vanguard’s CRSP. I sold VIOV and bought VBR in my Roth by selling VTI (used VIOV proceeds for more VV which I bought to replace VTI).

Rwsawbones
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Rwsawbones » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm

I am a 77 year old practicing physician. My “sleeping point “is to have about 10 years of potential withdrawals in short term treasury funds and money market.

My AA is 37% Fidelity largely index stock funds USA
7% Fidelity largely stock index funds foreign

The other 56% is in bonds including the short term treasury and MM, and Bond index

In 2007 - 2015I saw great opportunity and put my savings into over drive into largely US but some international stock index funds as well as in non index stock funds


I will be pleased for my children should we have a major sell off but I need my bonds and MM for me to sleep well

dcabler
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by dcabler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 pm

50% equities, 50% bonds
Bonds are a mix of Intermediate Treasuries and TIPs/Ibonds
Stocks are approx. 75% US, 25% International, heavy on the mid/small cap value with some EM and Int'l small cap
All are Index funds, except for one managed stock fund that represents about 8% of my total holdings.

What am I doing?
1. Watching for a rebalancing trigger
2. Looking for opportunities to TLH out of a couple of funds in my taxable account that no longer suit my purposes. Fortunately they represent a small percentage of my holdings.

What am I not doing?
1. Looking for an opportunity to buy anything, but I will direct November's monthly deposit towards whichever holding(s) I have that move my allocation back towards my target AA.

ivk5
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by ivk5 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
“My IPS says when the market is volatile consider changing allocation based on market conditions.”
.
.
.
.
.
.
is not something you should expect to find many here saying.

Moochy
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Moochy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:59 pm

My "usual" AA is 25% VIOO, 25% VTI, 40% VCIT 10% VCSH.
Late September moved to 40% VMFXX, 60% VCSH. All in
an IRA, no tax consequences.

I do a timing system contrary to the theme of this forum.
I reduce my risk when the business cycle appears to be peaking
and valuations are at extremes with securities. Interest rates are rising
and debt around the world is at never before seen levels. Far higher
than the 2008 meltdown.

lostdog
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by lostdog » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:06 pm

IRA's, Roth IRA's and Taxable-->Vanguard Total World Stock
401(k)--> SP500 index and International index at world market cap weight
Cash-Vanguard Federal Money Market
Last edited by lostdog on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12968
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:12 pm

We have not changed in over a decade - U.S. & International Stocks, REITs, and U.S. Bonds (no international bonds at this point).
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

BW1985
Posts: 1763
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:45 pm

VTSAX
VTIAX
VMMXX
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm

zonto wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Same thing I was yesterday and the day before and the day before...
  • 21% total U.S. market index
  • 7% small cap (S&P small cap 600)
  • 7% U.S. REIT and real estate index
  • 28% total international market index
  • 7% international REIT and real estate index
  • 20% total U.S. bond index
  • 10% total international bond index (USD hedged)
Next time the US is in an official bear market, I'll reduce the bond allocation by 10%. If the S&P500 drops more than 30% from peak, then I'll go 100% equities. International officially entered "bear" territory yesterday, and I've been using most new contributions for international equities this year.
Impressive. How can I learn on how to diversify like that? When and when to allocate and which funds to choose?

Zeusy Zeus
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Zeusy Zeus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Jordan4FI wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:35 am
Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 pm
Jordan4FI wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Vanguard Target Dates (Taxable 2035& RothIRA 2050) but upon hitting 60/40 in the Target 2035, will switch to 60/40 LifeStrategy at age 46ish..
How did you come up with these dates? Just curious because my TSP at work (essentially a 401k) is index funds also and they have a fund called lifecycle. It automatically brings your percentages to a more conservative number the closer you get to retirement.
On Vanguard you can see where these funds will be %wise on a sliding scale. So I went with 2035 for my preferred risk at this age and then it will slowly glide down to 60/40 at about age 46, I plan to walk away from having to work before age 40. I will be ok with a 60/40 AA from 46-60ish because I will be living in Thailand where 15K (including health insurance) a year I can survive quite well if need be and live very well on 24K+ a year. Then in later age 55-60-65+ I may drop down to a 40/60 AA. The 2050 in my IRA is just to stay more aggressive longer until I am 59.5 where I would have access to it, though I would not plan to touch it until a real need, plus with the few hundred $ per month I will get from SS in the future, that will also lower what I will need to withdraw from my portfolio.

Wow impressive great job. I need to get on it and start planning better. I have a few retirement accounts but I don’t put much thought on it. It’s weird because I want to retire but I don’t at the same time because I don’t want to get old lol.

desafinado
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:14 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by desafinado » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:35 pm

VTIAX - 38%
VTSAX - 27.5%
VFINX - 10%
NMSCX (small cap) - 10%
VNYTX (NY muni) - 7%
VYFXX (NY mm) - 7%

I'm an early accumulator so my muni/mm portion is basically also my emergency fund.

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 5954
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by market timer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 pm

As of Friday's close,

20% gold
30% long term Treasuries
10% oil and oil majors
15% emerging markets equities
10% developed international markets equities
7% S&P 500 index
8% muni bonds

Slacker
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by Slacker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Vanguard Total US stock market
iShares S&P Small Cap ETF
Vanguard FTSE All World EX US
Vanguard FTSE Small Cap
Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets
Vanguard US Total Bond market
Vanguard Real Estate Fund
G Fund
S Fund
C Fund
I Fund

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4173
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by whodidntante » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 pm

I have:
30% Developed Ex-US
15% Emerging Markets
22% Domestic Large/Mid
23% Domestic SCV
10% Fixed income/market neutral

Fixed income is normally a bit higher; I am doing a mega backdoor Roth and I'm dumping almost all of my paycheck into a stable value fund with the intention of moving it to a Roth IRA.

I have some multi-factor funds where it's convenient, about 5% of total, pulling from the above stock allocation. I also have some international small in the above.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:25 am

22% US large cap
33% US mid & small cap (tilted toward small)
20% International developed markets small cap
7% Emerging markets stocks
4% Emerging markets bonds
14% US long treasuries

I did not add the bonds until September, boy am I glad I did.

User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by mrspock » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
Bonds: VTEB (National Muni ETF), VCAIX (Cali Muni) - 50/50
Equities: VTI (Total Market US ETF), VOO (S&P 500 ETF) & BRK.B (Berkshire Hathaway; tiny position)

I used to have a nice 80/20 AA, but Mr. Market is pushing towards 75/25 pretty quick at this rate. Staying the course, and steadily buying on my normal schedule.
Last edited by mrspock on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LilyFleur
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:48 am

70% Balanced Index Fund (40% Bloomberg Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index, 30% S&P 500 Index, 30% MSCI ACWI ex USA IMI Index)
5% Russell 200 Index Fund
15% Stable Value Fund
10% Boeing Stock Fund
Roughly doubled my 401k in 2017 but was very heavily invested in a single stock, then this year when all the tariff talk got started, I diversified to the portfolio described above. I slept well in 2017, and I sleep well in 2018, too.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:06 am

Total Stock
Total Int'l
Total Bond
Interm Term Tax Exempt

bayview
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by bayview » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm
zonto wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Same thing I was yesterday and the day before and the day before...
  • 21% total U.S. market index
  • 7% small cap (S&P small cap 600)
  • 7% U.S. REIT and real estate index
  • 28% total international market index
  • 7% international REIT and real estate index
  • 20% total U.S. bond index
  • 10% total international bond index (USD hedged)
Next time the US is in an official bear market, I'll reduce the bond allocation by 10%. If the S&P500 drops more than 30% from peak, then I'll go 100% equities. International officially entered "bear" territory yesterday, and I've been using most new contributions for international equities this year.
Impressive. How can I learn on how to diversify like that? When and when to allocate and which funds to choose?
There are lots of sample portfolios that you might try. The question that many of us like to debate is whether additional complexity will pay off in the future over the long run (regardless of what they did in the past.) My own investment path began with a classic three-fund portfolio, got a bit more fancy with some small-time slicing and dicing, and is now pretty much back to a three-funder plus mid-caps after deciding that the additional complexity left me a bit "meh." That's a pretty common pattern that I see here, but there are certainly others who slice and dice for many years.

One comment: don't be distracted by false precision. I'm guessing that the above portfolio involves multiples of 7% or 1/14th, which might help the math a bit. --duh me, I now see that this is a 70/30 portfolio, and the 70% in equities are divided into multiples of tenths of the equities. I could also see the numbers being 20%, 5%, 5%, 30%, etc. Neither is automatically better than the other. It's just what makes it easier to you to see the proportions.

Have you checked out the Bogleheads wiki? This might be a good page to start: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... art-up_kit This page also includes links to sample portfolios.

Meanwhile, I think that you would benefit from reading William Bernstein's "If You Can", including reading the "homework" books recommended at the end of the chapters. https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Mille ... adswiki-20 (free on Kindle, dirt cheap in paperback)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

invstar
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by invstar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 pm

I have the following as of now:

47% US Large
6% US mid cap
12% Small cap (mostly value)
13% International
4.5% Long term muni bond fund (VWLUX)
16% Cash (CD/MM)
1.5% REIT
Started investing only an year ago or so and I see almost 10% decline. Planning to add more VTSAX if if S&P drops more than 20%.

Post Reply