Question about the book Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
frotec

Question about the book Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Post by frotec » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I have this book in my library and have read it.(I have the 2006 edition). I was looking on Amazon today and see that there is a 2014 edition too. Has anyone read both of the editions and is there enough additional information to justify buying the new one. If yes can you kindly specify at a macro level the new information in the 2014 edition so I can decide to buy/not buy the new edition. Thank you for your help in advance.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: Question about the book Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Responding to bump the post.
PJW

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:06 pm

frotec wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 pm
I have this book in my library and have read it.(I have the 2006 edition). I was looking on Amazon today and see that there is a 2014 edition too. Has anyone read both of the editions and is there enough additional information to justify buying the new one. If yes can you kindly specify at a macro level the new information in the 2014 edition so I can decide to buy/not buy the new edition. Thank you for your help in advance.
So much had changed since we first wrote the book in 2005 (tax rates, estate issues, ETFs, gift amounts, contribution limits, etc.), but the book was still selling well, so the publisher asked us to do a second edition.

While we tried to update everything that had changed, the overriding Bogleheads message of living below your means, starting early, saving and investing in low cost (preferabbly index) funds, didn't really change. However, because of the changes in the various laws, the strategies and break points could be different in the Second Edition.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

frotec

Post by frotec » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you for the input. I will go ahead and purchase the later version too.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm

The newer edition has already been out for a few years, which means it is probably at your public library. I'd suggest that you check it out and read it for free. You'd then be able to decide if it's worth buying again.

Most of the updates are also in the Wiki, which is kept up-to-date. The core message of the book is the same.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:06 pm
frotec wrote:
So much had changed since we first wrote the book in 2005 (tax rates, estate issues, ETFs, gift amounts, contribution limits, etc.), but the book was still selling well, so the publisher asked us to do a second edition.

While we tried to update everything that had changed, the overriding Bogleheads message of living below your means, starting early, saving and investing in low cost (preferabbly index) funds, didn't really change. However, because of the changes in the various laws, the strategies and break points could be different in the Second Edition.
Hi Mel -

With three books in the Bogleheads series now, are there any plans for future books?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:06 pm
frotec wrote:

Hi Mel -

With three books in the Bogleheads series now, are there any plans for future books?
Perhaps. Stay tuned.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi