What tools do you use to track your finances?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
spreadsheetguy

What tools do you use to track your finances?

Post by spreadsheetguy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 pm

My first post :!: I'm curious about the tools people use to manage and track your :moneybag.

Personally, I use Fidelity fullview to consolidate all my accounts. It recently underwent a change for the worse, so I'm curious what other people do.

Here's my current setup:
  • Fullview to view all my accounts and custom macro-enabled excel workbook to copy and paste all account balance info into a spreadsheet and updated daily. This enables me to track net worth.
  • Annually, we download all transaction data from credit cards and checking accounts from fullview and import that to a spreadsheet where it is categorized to create an overview of monthly and annual spending by category (also in excel).
  • Finally a custom retirement spreadsheet that projects networth (accounting for income, taxes, pensions, social security, college expenses, etc) forward on a annual basis to see how early retirement might play out.
Just curious as to what tools you use to track (1) accounts, (2) spending and (3) retirement futures.

delamer

Re: What tools do you use to track your finances?

Post by delamer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Quicken.

No need for spreadsheets because reports can be created within Quicken.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm

We used Mint for years, but now we just use Personal Capital to track investment account balances and performance over time. But to be honest, I'm thinking about closing the PC account because of concerns about data leakage.

As for spending, we no longer need to track it because we have it under tight control.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

marti038

Post by marti038 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:08 pm

mint.com and my nerdy excel spreadsheet.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I use my own home grown Google Sheets.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Quicken MS Money.

No need for spreadsheets because reports can be created within Quicken MS Money.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:14 pm

spreadsheetguy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 pm
My first post :!: I'm curious about the tools people use to manage and track your :moneybag.
Google Sheets

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Excel

Mr400meterdash

Post by Mr400meterdash » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

We use YNAB

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm

MS Money Sunset Edition to track transactions.

Excel spreadsheet to monitor asset allocation, both by account and in aggregate.

edudumb

Post by edudumb » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm
We used Mint for years, but now we just use Personal Capital to track investment account balances and performance over time. But to be honest, I'm thinking about closing the PC account because of concerns about data leakage.

As for spending, we no longer need to track it because we have it under tight control.
A few days after I opened mine at Personal Capital (just last month), I got their call specifying my account details asking if I was interested in moving my money to them/ using their investment services. I closed my account immediately after.

No one called me from Mint ever.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm

edudumb wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 pm
willthrill81 wrote:

A few days after I opened mine at Personal Capital (just last month), I got their call specifying my account details asking if I was interested in moving my money to them/ using their investment services. I closed my account immediately after.

PC does that to all of their clients who have over $100k of assets via the linked accounts. They don't release the information to others (at least they aren't supposed to).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I use my own Excel workbooks that I have developed since around 1992. Yes, it's a lot of work but it gives me the best results.

I've used Quicken and MS Money. Preferred my own spreadsheets, which are pretty powerful at this point in time. I wonder though about what to do for my wife when I'm gone.

I have set up numerous Google Sheets for a number of family members for budgeting, ledgers, tracking, etc. I do not really like using Google Sheets but it is an advantage that it's web-based. I do use a Google Sheet myself to get daily prices, data, and currency exchange rates; then I click a button on my Excel "planner" to scrape these down and update my data.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I created my own secure website (https) that holds all my investments, updates the NAV daily, holds my current AA, and calculates my current deviation from my “ideal” AA.

I used to have it on my personal computer (Java), but moving it on-line made it available from anywhere.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Raybo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm
I created my own secure website (https) that holds all my investments, updates the NAV daily, holds my current AA, and calculates my current deviation from my “ideal” AA.

I used to have it on my personal computer (Java), but moving it on-line made it available from anywhere.
wow! Do you wanna start a subscription service?

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Vanguard Portfolio Analysis
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 pm

I don't.

Once and a while I have a look at the the totals in the accounts and as long as they grow, I log out and forget about it and live life. :sharebeer

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:56 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm
Raybo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm

wow! Do you wanna start a subscription service?
I’m not allowed to post a link to it.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm

All my portfolio accounts are at Vanguard so they keep track of it for me. I do retain the annual statement and download monthly household statements.

For spending, I keep a simple spreadsheet with three categories of spending every month. That seems to be all I really need to keep track of.

Once a year I do a summary of income by major source (right now there are two - Pension and Investments) and a net worth statement that includes portfolio assets and a guess at the value of hard assets. This NW statement is merely for estate planning purposes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I suppose it may be the "engineer" in me but I feel obsessive-compulsive about tracking all transactions. I do this for financial transactions (ie: keep ledgers for all bank accounts, credit cards, investments) but this doesn't seem to be enough. I would like to have some bar code-type stickers that would be placed on purchased items so I could keep a database of these things, for the purpose of determining the usage rates, preferred brands, etc. I spent a couple years coding and tracking a large number of particular types of transactions into categories (not groceries and regular/usual spending; but home repairs, auto service, medical, etc); this was very useful and I still have the system in place, I just rarely code and track them now. Now that I am fully retired maybe I can dedicate my time and energies to this endeavor! lol.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm
I suppose it may be the "engineer" in me but I feel obsessive-compulsive about tracking all transactions.
You are not alone.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Excel. One spreadsheet in which I enter all of our account balances on the first of every month, and a different spreadsheet in which I enter all of our expenses. Which reminds me that I haven't updated that since the last week of September so that's going to be a big pain in the neck.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:23 pm

DELETE
Last edited by Calygos on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm
Excel. One spreadsheet in which I enter all of our account balances on the first of every month, and a different spreadsheet in which I enter all of our expenses. Which reminds me that I haven't updated that since the last week of September so that's going to be a big pain in the neck.
I'm intrigued but I'm not certain how/what you are doing. Do you maintain your own "ledgers" in Excel, where you enter each transaction (like an old fashion check book register)? that's exactly what I do...for each account: banking, credit cards, investments. I always know "where I stand" and I've been doing this in Excel since 1992. Now that we have "the web" most such accounts have this information on-line and available for downloading.

So I assume that people who aren't old-school like me will take the latter approach, downloading the transactions. In this case I wonder even why do this, it's all there on the website anyway. To me this method loses something: (a) it's not really a check of transactions (what if you can't remember all of the transactions made that month?) and (b) I use my sheets for planning ahead purposes, entering anticipated transactions and then ticking them off as they transpire.

I do admit to downloading transactions on occasion for various needs. Such as I was out of the country for 5 weeks and wasn't updating my credit card ledger all the time. I simply downloaded the Amex data and pretty much accepted it. It was obvious that there were transactions that I didn't recall but accepted as legitimate.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
I'm intrigued but I'm not certain how/what you are doing. Do you maintain your own "ledgers" in Excel, where you enter each transaction (like an old fashion check book register)? that's exactly what I do...for each account: banking, credit cards, investments. I always know "where I stand" and I've been doing this in Excel since 1992. Now that we have "the web" most such accounts have this information on-line and available for downloading.

So I assume that people who aren't old-school like me will take the latter approach, downloading the transactions. In this case I wonder even why do this, it's all there on the website anyway. To me this method loses something: (a) it's not really a check of transactions (what if you can't remember all of the transactions made that month?) and (b) I use my sheets for planning ahead purposes, entering anticipated transactions and then ticking them off as they transpire.

I do admit to downloading transactions on occasion for various needs. Such as I was out of the country for 5 weeks and wasn't updating my credit card ledger all the time. I simply downloaded the Amex data and pretty much accepted it. It was obvious that there were transactions that I didn't recall but accepted as legitimate.
It is “all there in the website” for each account but downloading into Quicken puts information for all accounts in one place. We have 4 total checking accounts and credit cards that we use regularly, and all those transactions go into Quicken.

Even if you check all downloaded transactions against your receipts and checkbook entries, it still is easier — and more accurate — than hand entering each transaction into a spreadsheet. (I do realize that some sites allow you to download transactions in a format compatible with spreadsheets.)

And you can enter future transactions into Quicken.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 pm

goodenyou wrote:
Same here. As I continue simplifying our Vanguard accounts, there is really not a lot of things needing tracking in our portfolio.

For expenses, I have a sheet of heavy cardstock with 26 rows horizontally, and 12 columns, one for each month. Each horizontal row(cell) has an named expense needing attention (such as Lawn, or 529). Toward the end of one month, I know what expenses will be for the following month. So, at the end of one month, I simply transfer the funds needed for the next month. As an expense is paid, I place a dot next to it. The horizontal rows listing expenses are arranged in the order of due date. Most of the expenses are paid via credit card, and all credit cards are paid automatically. A few things like taxes and insurance are paid 4 times a year. I leave unnamed horizontal rows for one-of expenses.

Easy as can be.

Looks like I have the sheets going back to 2013 still in the folder. Huh! Seems my power bill was higher in every month in 2013 than any month in 2018. $300+ compared to $224.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I use Moneydance in an offline mode, meaning I don't download any data from my online accounts. The manual keying doesn't take much time, as it's only a few transactions a day. I rely on the brokerages' online tools to track my capital gains and losses.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 pm
goodenyou wrote:
Same here. As I continue simplifying our Vanguard accounts, there is really not a lot of things needing tracking in our portfolio.

For expenses, I have a sheet of heavy cardstock with 26 rows horizontally, and 12 columns, one for each month. Each horizontal row(cell) has an named expense needing attention (such as Lawn, or 529). Toward the end of one month, I know what expenses will be for the following month. So, at the end of one month, I simply transfer the funds needed for the next month. As an expense is paid, I place a dot next to it. The horizontal rows listing expenses are arranged in the order of due date. Most of the expenses are paid via credit card, and all credit cards are paid automatically. A few things like taxes and insurance are paid 4 times a year. I leave unnamed horizontal rows for one-of expenses.

Easy as can be.

Looks like I have the sheets going back to 2013 still in the folder. Huh! Seems my power bill was higher in every month in 2013 than any month in 2018. $300+ compared to $224.

Broken Man 1999
Wow. You're no Broken Man. I'd say you're really put together with that kind of organization. I don't follow my expenses. I max out all possible tax-advantaged spaces, plus extra taxable space. I do it by feel more now that I've been on trajectory and have closed in on my number. I live below my means and have no motivation or propensity towards lifestyle creep. Ironically, I have become more frugal with increasing net worth. I like Portfolio Analysis because it helps aggregate for keeping my asset allocation in range. It does take time to manually enter outside Vanguard accounts, but it keeps me on top of things.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

Hyoga

Post by Hyoga » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Google sheets, it calculates deviation to AA, etc.
よろしくお願いします

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Quicken
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm
edudumb wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

PC does that to all of their clients who have over $100k of assets via the linked accounts. They don't release the information to others (at least they aren't supposed to).
This is correct. Plus, It is safe. Plus, they have never called me (not that I would care)

NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:06 am

I tried to use Fidelity full view and gave up.

In the past, I've used Quicken and Classic YNAB but the latter switched to a subscription model. My expenses are pretty consistent, so I just maintain budget records and factor in "extra" expenses like a vacation.

For my portfolio, I use Personal Capital to check my allocation. I haven't yet used any of its budgeting tools though.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 am

MS Excel.

For spending tracking, I have a phone app in which I punch in any expense that I make. At the end of the month, I download transaction list and move it to my Spending excel, month after month.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

JohnFiscal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
So the balances spreadsheet has a column for every month and a row for the various accounts.

One column, with fictitious numbers because I'm not at home, would look like this:

October 1, 2018
Checking: $1,000
Savings: $1,000
Roth IRA: $1,000
Roth IRA: $1,000
401k: $1,000
HSA: $1,000

House Estimated Value: $1,000
Outstanding Mortgage: $1,000

Credit Card Debt: $1,000

Then I sum up the total (and subtotals) to get a net worth every month.

As for the expenses sheet, there are a bunch of columns. Called "Mortgage", "Utilities", "Groceries", "Stratus Gas", "Hobbies", etc. Then, every expense gets a simple row in the sheet. The row would have the date the expense occurred, the payee, and the method of payment, then it would simply have a number on the row in the correct column. Like "10th, Walmart, Debit" and then "$9.84" in the "Personal Care" column. For ones that are not obvious, like purchases at Walmart, we have a "Notes" column that explains it in more details.

I'm a 34-year-old software developer, but I'm pretty old-school.

JonSharpe

Post by JonSharpe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 am

Wow, I'm really impressed and surprised by how many people still use Excel to track their finances. I'm jealous and it makes me feel a little lazy. For me, I've been using MSMoney/Quicken for over a decade. All accounts are connected and populate automatically. This facilitates the tracking of expenses and net worth and I like the reporting features.

For portfolio allocations I use Personal Capital. I've been using it for a few years and really like how easy it makes it to analyze my portfolio and make reallocation decisions. They did call me once I opened my account to see if I wanted to talk to an advisor. I did not want to and they have not called back. For a free service, I think it is excellent.

I'm still working full-time and have one kid in college and one in high-school. I think once things settle down and the kids are on their own, I could downgrade from Quicken to a simpler system in Excel or Google Docs as there will be less money flying around each month.

invstar

Post by invstar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm
edudumb wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

Willthrill81,
I have had my account with PC for more than an year and really liked it. They used to call me now and then but I don't answer them anymore. I too have security concerns and planning to close it and looking for a desktop s/w (MS Money?) that updates data automatically and allows me monitor my networth and investment performance regularly ..

birdog

Post by birdog » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Personal Capital for net worth and account consolidation as well as tracking spending. I then copy monthly bottom line results to an excel file.

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

edudumb wrote:

It's a free service... That's how they make money. I've gotten accustomed to just declining every call I get from a Bay Area area code.

Mint on the other hand, doesn't want to sell you investment management. They want to sell you TurboTax. Either way, you're the product, so pick your poison.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm

I use Fidelity FullView for my Rollover IRA, Roth IRA, and company 401k.

I use my own Google Sheets spreadsheet for tracking our balance sheet and monthly expenses.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Quicken. I download from all my accounts almost daily. It allows me to pay bills from my checking account without using the bank's website. I can slice and dice data to my heart's content. I can see my current AA instantly. I have over 20 years of data in Quicken. The software has somewhat stagnated in the last several years, but I haven't found anything better.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Quicken. Since 1992.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 pm

YNAB classic version. I reconcile my credit accounts and bank accounts several times a month. However, I update investment accounts once a month in there. We are on a pretty strict budget but we really only spend what we need so I don't get super concerned about the specific transactions.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 am

spreadsheetguy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Just curious as to what tools you use to track (1) accounts, (2) spending and (3) retirement futures.
I used to use Quicken for everything. I used it for decades. A couple of years ago I realized many of the things I was doing were no longer necessary and simply a waste of time. I was doing things like reconciling accounts (in 30 years I never saw a bank mistake so why bother) and doing detailed budget tracking became a rote task for which I was getting nothing out of (our spending is in control and our budget isn't tight like it was when we first started out so no longer necessary).

So for 30 years I used Quicken for all 3 of your items. However, I found "retirement futures" weren't really part of quicken so I started tracking this in a spreadsheet. Once I started tracking this in a spreadsheet ALL my brokerage accounts/retirement accounts were there. Now I only use the spreadsheet. I no longer track spending. For bank accounts - its no longer necessary to "reconcile" and since all bills are paid electronically I no longer have to worry about things like how many outstanding checks I have that I need to account for within the carrying balance. Time burden removed - more time to read bogleheads :)

spreadsheetguy

Post by spreadsheetguy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Just back to bogleheads to check the thread and am happy for all the fantastic responses.
Good to see all the spreadsheet folks out in force.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 pm

I use Accountedge for Business accounting, and so use it also for Personal accounts. I track all expenses and can compare it to our Budget projections. A real accounting program allows for lots of reports as well as to Reconcile checking, savings, and all credit card accounts. It keeps Historical data going back years.

I use Numbers (Apple's spreadsheet app on Mac) and have separate files for cash flow projections, net worth, retirement planning, savings tracking (need to keep track of how much is put in 401k per person, Roth, HSA, etc. per tax year, as opposed to any totals).

I also have our entire tax return as one big spreadsheet, complete with Partnership 1065 return feeding into Schedule SE, the 1040 and NM State return, and 401k and Tax Table worksheets. Numbers makes it easy as each form is its own table, and you can move all these forms/tables around on one big sheet, relinking fields as necessary.

I opened an account on Personal Capital and was hit up with multiple phone calls and emails trying to sell me god knows what. Eventually I said "just close my account".

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 am

Mint to track spending from my cash accounts.
Vanguard to track my investment accounts.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:42 am

LibreOffice Calc
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

rennale

Post by rennale » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 am

+1 for Moneydance.

I started using it late last year after seeing good reviews here in the forum. I previously used several homegrown spreadsheets of varying complexity. I've never tried Quicken or MS Money (which, at the time, people didn't seem to be too happy with due to cost or support issues) or any of the others.

Anyway, Moneydance is a free download, allowing you to test it with up to 100 transactions. Then a nominal cost to purchase it ($50). All data is held locally on your laptop/PC - nothing out in a cloud. It will do online account updates, etc. The only weakness I can identify is the automatic updating of stock prices - it broke a while ago and the replacement method is mostly useless. But there's an optional plug-in that works fine, although it takes a bit of figuring out at first.

I have nothing to compare it with but really like it. It seems to do pretty much everything that I can think of.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 am

Toons wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 pm
Quicken
:happy
Quicken also. I love the cash flow reports and upcoming bills because I know how much I can plow into our portfolio with the next paycheck. We use lowest cost Quicken to help us track our checking account flows.

We use Vanguard's web interface to help us track investments.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 am

Old YNAB4
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.