2018 Bogleheads Conference Notes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

2018 Bogleheads Conference Notes

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Use this thread to discuss the 2018 conference in Philadelphia.

As promised, I have received Jack Bogle's slides. They are now in the wiki. See: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia

Readers with a sharp eye might note the newspaper article on Pages 9 and 10 is a Philadelphia Inquirer story regarding the local Philadelphia Bogleheads' chapter. The picture at the top of the article is last year's conference picture in the wiki.

I'll post additional content as it's received. Wiki editors can update the page directly.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Bogleheads Conference Notes

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 pm

During the Thursday evening visit to Vanguard, I had the pleasure of meeting the head of the Customer Experience team and two colleagues - the developers who work on the website itself.

Vanguard's current implementation of multifactor authentication does not support email. This is a critical "miss" of functionality and needs to be fixed. The members have been very vocal regarding this deficiency - including myself.

The meeting at Vanguard allowed me to express my opinion directly to the developers. See my post here for the full details: Re: Vanguard - You'll need to sign up for security codes soon

Please continue discussion in that thread, let's keep this one for general meeting comments.

=======================
Additionally, I requested that the Customer Experience team incorporate the ability to rebalance your portfolio. This is a long-standing member complaint.

Currently, transacations can only be bought / sold / exchanged. It would be nice allow one to rebalance your portfolio, e.g. change from (55% stocks / 45% bonds) to (50% stocks / 50% bonds). I can do this with my employer's 401K plan, why not Vanguard?

I have a spreadsheet as a workaround here, but it should not be needed in the first place.

Update: Added rebalancing feature discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 am

Didn't know Mr. Bogle was that handsome during college days! (pic on page 78 in the presentation). Thank you for sharing; lot of stats on the index revolution.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:40 am

Great slides as usual. Thank you LG for posting and sharing them.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 am

Thank you for sharing!

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

car733

Post by car733 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Additionally, I requested that the Customer Experience team incorporate the ability to rebalance your portfolio.
Thanks for the info!
What about asking vanguard to offer an API for 3rd parties to improve things like this?

Sola Scriptura

Post by Sola Scriptura » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 am

Are Mr. Bogle's deliveries of his presentations at the annual conference ever recorded?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 am

Yes. See this one from 2017 reunion. https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/244487159

Sola Scriptura

Post by Sola Scriptura » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 am
Yes. See this one from 2017 reunion. https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/244487159
Excellent! Thank you! Looking forward to watching the 2018 keynote!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Gus Sauter's presentation is now in the wiki. See: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia

I think this is a presentation that should be viewed simultaneously with the video.* Long story short: Endowments use alternative investments and make money by having highly skilled experts do the management. They also have high cost and don't do as well as a low-cost diversified index fund.

If you want good returns, don't invest like an endowment. Stick with low-cost diversified index funds.

* Allow Rich Guerra (aka VELO724X) time to process and upload the video. I don't know when he can get to it, please be patient.
car733 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Additionally, I requested that the Customer Experience team incorporate the ability to rebalance your portfolio.
Thanks for the info!
What about asking vanguard to offer an API for 3rd parties to improve things like this?
No, I didn't ask them. To explain, the purpose of the Vanguard demonstration was to get feedback on a new website feature.

After viewing the demonstration for a while, I asked them about multifactor authentication. My questions stopped them in their tracks. After a very short while, they discontinued the presentation and focused on what I had to say. The other member who was with me supplied supporting comments (feel free to post here, I don't know if you wanted to be identified).

I didn't think to ask them about an API. In hindsight, I don't think that would have been an appropriate question at that time.

I am not mentioning the nature of this demonstration because it was only intended to be shown to the people at Vanguard and it was in the very early concept stage. As a software person, I recognize the nature of what they are showing and am giving them professional courtesy to keep the details to myself. They know what we discussed - which also touched on 3rd party applications.

The request for rebalancing came up when they provided an overview of the current site layout. I should note that my workaround spreadsheet in the wiki (here) was added on December 26, 2011 - nearly 7 years ago. That's how long myself (and many members) have been requesting Vanguard to provide a portfolio rebalancing feature.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 pm

The Wall Street Journal had a nice article on the conference today:
Jack Bogle’s Bogleheads Keep Investing Simple. You Should Too.
Inside a gathering when investors pay homage to the father of the index fund.
Https://www.wsj.com/articles/jack-bogle ... lead_pos10
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:47 am

This was my first (but hopefully not my last) Bogleheads Conference. Thanks to all the attendees (both veteran and first-timers like myself) for making it so enjoyable. I only wish it could have lasted longer.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 pm
The Wall Street Journal had a nice article on the conference today:
Jack Bogle’s Bogleheads Keep Investing Simple. You Should Too.
Inside a gathering when investors pay homage to the father of the index fund.
Https://www.wsj.com/articles/jack-bogle ... lead_pos10
Good WSJ article.

We attended the Bogleheads conf in 2011 and felt really honored to meet Jack.

All the best to Jack and all he has done for the "small" investor.
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 am

I'd be interested to hear what Mr. Bogle had to say regarding slide 49: "Vanguard's New Factor ETFs - Add the Hot Sauce, Hold the Bogle"

car733

Post by car733 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

I am not mentioning the nature of this demonstration because it was only intended to be shown to the people at Vanguard and it was in the very early concept stage. As a software person, I recognize the nature of what they are showing and am giving them professional courtesy to keep the details to myself. They know what we discussed - which also touched on 3rd party applications.

The request for rebalancing came up when they provided an overview of the current site layout. I should note that my workaround spreadsheet in the wiki (here) was added on December 26, 2011 - nearly 7 years ago. That's how long myself (and many members) have been requesting Vanguard to provide a portfolio rebalancing feature.
Thanks for your answer!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 am

^^^ You're welcome.

Jason Zweig's WSJ article is discussed in this thread: Bogleheads Conference by Jason Zweig

Let's use this thread for the conference.

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks to those who make the extra effort to share with those of us who can't attend. I look forward to reading the notes and watching the videos each year.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 am

Jonathan Clements' latest blog entry is essentially a curated collection of notes from Jack Bogle's various remarks at the conference:

Jack of Hearts
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Juice3

Post by Juice3 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
I am not mentioning the nature of this demonstration because it was only intended to be shown to the people at Vanguard
Sorry LG, are you saying you work for vanguard?

dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 am

Thank you for posting the presentations.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 am

Juice3 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
I am not mentioning the nature of this demonstration because it was only intended to be shown to the people at Vanguard
Sorry LG, are you saying you work for vanguard?
No. I'm speaking from experience as an engineer. A prototype shown to a limited audience is not intended for general consumption.

The nature of the presentation was "Here are a few concepts that we've thrown together. What do you think?" It was nothing more than a slide show with dialog boxes to show the intent.

I don't think it's appropriate to publicly say that a company is rolling out features X, Y, and Z when nothing has gotten past the concept stage. I also gave them some very strong feedback on what I thought was wrong with it - they took notes.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:30 am

FYI - Rich Guerra has uploaded his first video of the conference. See: BOGLEHEADS 2018 VIDEOS

The video is in the wiki: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia (another wiki editor did the update)

family_doc

Post by family_doc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:38 am

Dear Bogleheads,

Hi again! What a wonderful 2018 Boglehead’s Conference that has just ended! Informative as usual, warm and friendly, a chance to make new friends and meet old ones, and explore the nuances of Boglehead investing.

I wish to sincerely thank Mel Lindauer, the captain of the ship. He and his wife Marlene, Mel and Kathy Turner, Gail Cox, Ed & Patti Rager, Ladygeek, Rich Guerra, Pongo, and all of the rest of the volunteers deserve hearty applause and accolades! Job well done!!!

As in past years, myself, (family_doc), and Greg, (Pongo), have undertaken still photography duties. We hope that all of you enjoy our collective efforts to document as many of you as possible at this conference. I apologize in advance if I did not get the chance to snap a picture of everybody, if I didn’t, then Greg
hopefully would have. My apologies sincerely if you are excluded! Oh well…
Here is the current link to my photos. One of the mods/Admins will add it to the wiki once it is confirmed it will work.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

with kindest regards,

family_doc

PS.
For those of you who are curious about my photographic process, here goes!
The photos were shot with a Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 18-200 EF-S 3.5-5.6 IS lens, Canon Speedlite 430EXIII-RT TTL direct flash. The photos were all shot in RAW; some camera settings were fixed: Auto ISO; center spot metering. The photos were then downloaded to my computer; and imported into Lightroom. During importation, an autotone filter was applied. I then look at each photo and apply camera lens corrections, whiten teeth, adjust cropping, and tweak the settings of black, white, highlights, and shadow, I white balance if necessary. Then, using Lightroom’s export function, I export the raw files as JPEG files, and then upload them to Google photos. These are what you see. I believe I am correct in saying that any photograph on Google photos can be downloaded by you. If you desire any higher resolution photos, you can always private message me and I can email you anything you would like.

With kindest regards,

Eugene A Lechmanick MD, a.k.a. family_doc

PPS.

Clicking on the photo link with my browser, Firefox, seems to work for the pics. I tried opening the same link on my iPhone 6s, IOS 12, and only the first 2 pics will display during scrolling...reclicking on a different pic sometimes, sometimes not works??????????It may be a problem with Google's API...notes on forums suggest this...I apologize in advance to iPhone users.
Last edited by family_doc on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve321

Post by steve321 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am

family_doc wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:38 am
Trial Run for the pics that I took

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see what Bogleheads actually look like, especially as I live across the pond with no prospect of traveling the US in the foreseeable future because of illness. It looks like you have been having a very good time!
I noticed in particular 2 things from your set of photos:
1. Most Bogleheads actually seem quite healthy and in good shape, whereas I remember that when I used to travel to the US regularly I noticed that most people are huge over there - really obese. So this is an additional clue that Bogleheads are a pretty wise crowd.
2. I noticed the picture of Mr Bernstein laughing his head off. What would have been interesting, would be a video of it, because I noticed that in every video he laughs his head off and then suddenly stops. Doesn't look like a spontaneous laughter to me. I really like Mr Bogle as a human being, even although I don't always agree with him, but I do not find Mr Bernstein very sympathetic.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:58 pm

family_doc wrote:
Dear Bogleheads,

Hi again! What a wonderful 2018 Boglehead’s Conference that has just ended! Informative as usual, warm and friendly, a chance to make new friends and meet old ones, and explore the nuances of Boglehead investing.

I wish to sincerely thank Mel Lindauer, the captain of the ship. He and his wife Marlene, Mel and Kathy Turner, Gail Cox, Ed & Patti Rager, Ladygeek, Rich Guerra, Pongo, and all of the rest of the volunteers deserve hearty applause and accolades! Job well done!!!

As in past years, myself, (family_doc), and Greg, (Pongo), have undertaken still photography duties. We hope that all of you enjoy our collective efforts to document as many of you as possible at this conference. I apologize in advance if I did not get the chance to snap a picture of everybody, if I didn’t, then Greg
Here is the current link to my photos. One of the mods/Admins will add it to the wiki once it is confirmed it will work.

with kindest regards,

family_doc

PS.
The photos were shot with a Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 18-200 EF-S 3.5-5.6 IS lens, Canon Speedlite 430EXIII-RT TTL direct flash. The photos were all shot in RAW; some camera settings were fixed: Auto ISO; center spot metering. The photos were then downloaded to my computer; and imported into Lightroom. During importation, an autotone filter was applied. I then look at each photo and apply camera lens corrections, whiten teeth, adjust cropping, and tweak the settings of black, white, highlights, and shadow, I white balance if necessary. Then, using Lightroom’s export function, I export the raw files as JPEG files, and then upload them to Google photos. These are what you see. I believe I am correct in saying that any photograph on Google photos can be downloaded by you. If you desire any higher resolution photos, you can always private message me and I can email you anything you would like.

With kindest regards,

PPS.

Clicking on the photo link with my browser, Firefox, seems to work for the pics. I tried opening the same link on my iPhone 6s, IOS 12, and only the first 2 pics will display during scrolling...reclicking on a different pic sometimes, sometimes not works??????????It may be a problem with Google's API...notes on forums suggest this...I apologize in advance to iPhone users.
Thanks, Gene, for all you do to help make the Bogleheads Community so great. We all contribute our bit and the end result is something very special and unique.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Steve321 - I've been to four Bogleheads Conferences and there is no one more affable, helpful, warm, interesting, friendly and genuinely kind than Dr. Bernstein (other than Jack Bogle and Taylor Larimore :happy ) Dr. Bernstein spends the entire conference meeting every Boglehead with warmth, he answers every question with sincerity, and there is always a crowd of eager Bogleheads around him discussing personal portfolios, investing ideas, books, philosophy, etc. etc. He loves life and enjoys laughing with us :D

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm

family_doc wrote:
Here is the current link to my photos....
PS.
For those of you who are curious about my photographic process, here goes!...

I think there is something wrong with your "process". Everyone at the meeting looked 10 years younger and way more attractive than in your photos! :D :D

But seriously, thanks to you and others for photos, and of course to all the organizers and volunteers!
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm

neurosphere wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm
family_doc wrote:
PS.

I think there is something wrong with your "process". Everyone at the meeting looked 10 years younger and way more attractive than in your photos! :D :D

But seriously, thanks to you and others for photos, and of course to all the organizers and volunteers!
Gene's process worked well when he had slimmed us down to fit in the group picture at Vanguard.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm
Use this thread to discuss the 2018 conference in Philadelphia.

As promised, I have received Jack Bogle's slides. They are now in the wiki. See: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia
I always find myself muttering through gritted teeth when I read accolades about Bogle in the popular biz press.

I'll pick on Bloomberg, for convenience and since I listen to their radio program a few hours a week. It is disappointing to listen to Bloomberg "hosts" interview some know-it-all investment manager, as if they are college kids sitting at his knee, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, while the know-it-all waxes poetic about factor investing, timing market sentiment, what stocks to sell before the next bear, and related nonsense. These are anti-Bogle charlatans who smile at you while slipping their greasy hands into your pockets yet are treated by some of the most revered media like dollar-covered gods who walk among us.

Fake news.

Go Jack.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. Preparing for financial challenges is more fruitful than trying to predict them.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:37 pm
Steve321 - I've been to four Bogleheads Conferences and there is no one more affable, helpful, warm, interesting, friendly and genuinely kind than Dr. Bernstein (other than Jack Bogle and Taylor Larimore :happy ) Dr. Bernstein spends the entire conference meeting every Boglehead with warmth, he answers every question with sincerity, and there is always a crowd of eager Bogleheads around him discussing personal portfolios, investing ideas, books, philosophy, etc. etc. He loves life and enjoys laughing with us :D
I agree.
(3 BH conferences.)
Attempted new signature...

Daendrew

Post by Daendrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 pm

What did Jack say about the new Vanguard Factor ETF's?

He wrote "Vanguard’s New Factor ETFs “Add the Hot Sauce, Hold the Bogle” on slide 49.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ua0jq1 ... F_NX8/view

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:02 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm
...Gene's process worked well when he had slimmed us down to fit in the group picture at Vanguard.

Victoria
... which is now in the wiki's "About Us" page: The Bogleheads®. Click on the footer's About Bogleheads® of any wiki page.

Full size in the wiki: File:Bogleheads at Vanguard 2018.jpg (1,023 × 1,021 pixels)

Or, full size on google: Vanguard group photo (3,454 × 3,447 pixels)

The conference page now has family_doc's photo album: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia (updated by another wiki editor - not me)

Photo's on facebook: Bogleheads Facebook 2018 Conference photo album

Also, the site "About Us" page: About Us | Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Here's the video Vanguard produced and showed during our 2018 Bogleheads Conference visit to Vanguard. It celebrates the 20th birthday of our founding of the Bogleheads on Morningstar in 1998. It includes some very nice comments from Jack Bogle about his Bogleheads.

Vanguard was nice enough to share it with us so all the Bogleheads who couldn't attend could get a chance to see it.

Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://vanguard.vo.llnwd.net/o1/EXT/SH/ ... 012018.mp4

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Cool 8-). The wiki has been updated: Bogleheads® 17 - Philadelphia

Heads up - That link comes from llnwd.net, which is owned by Limelight Networks - a reputable Content Delivery Network provider. It's OK to download.

In Linux, Chrome will play it directly.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:34 pm

By the way you can change the Chrome "autoplay-policy" easily, which I recommend.
VictoriaF wrote:
neurosphere wrote:
family_doc wrote:
PS.

Gene's process worked well when he had slimmed us down to fit in the group picture at Vanguard.

Victoria
My secret reason for not attending Bogleheads Conference is that I don't want anyone to realize I look like a teenager. I certainly don't need to look 10 years younger.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

triceratop wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:34 pm
By the way you can change the Chrome "autoplay-policy" easily, which I recommend.
VictoriaF wrote:
neurosphere wrote:
family_doc wrote:
PS.

Victoria
My secret reason for not attending Bogleheads Conference is that I don't want anyone to realize I look like a teenager. I certainly don't need to look 10 years younger.
FWIW, when I was younger and ordered a drink, I was still getting carded well into my late 30s, so you''re not alone.

And then later in life, when I asked for the senior discount, I started getting carded all over again!

Looking young is not a curse, especially when you get older and no one believes your age!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

family_doc wrote:
Dear Bogleheads,

with kindest regards,

family_doc

PS.

With kindest regards,

PPS.

Thanks for your continuing contributions to the Bogleheads Community, Gene. It's much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mel