Moneytalk with Bob Brinker coming to an end

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Reubin

Re: Moneytalk with Bob Brinker coming to an end

Post by Reubin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Oh, and by the way. Brinker proved to me that you can time the market if you know what you're doing. He is the only one that I know who was ever able to consistently do it. I could never figure out his secret but I sure profited from it.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 pm
Who in their right mind with 2 or 3 million dollars calls a radio program for 2 minutes of "advice"! :oops:
Probably the same people who ask the same advice on an internet forum I know of.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Kudos To Bob!
Well done over the decades.
Enjoy.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Reubin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 pm
Oh, and by the way. Brinker proved to me that you can time the market if you know what you're doing. He is the only one that I know who was ever able to consistently do it. I could never figure out his secret but I sure profited from it.
He gets a lot of credit for calling near the top of the dot-com bubble, and for being a longtime advocate for Vanguard's GNMA bond fund... but he missed the 2008 crash entirely, and (so far) his call on bonds since has been a swing and miss. While he had been advising towards more credit risk, he was advising to keep duration around one year since about 2009-10, and that hasn't played out as well.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 pm

His advice in the 90's was solid quality basic good advice /quote]

Everyone made money in the 90's. I agree he never mentioned funds he favored. Had to buy the newsletter for that. I used to listen to the Mutual Fund Store show which was much better.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 pm
Reubin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 pm
He gets a lot of credit for calling near the top of the dot-com bubble, and for being a longtime advocate for Vanguard's GNMA bond fund... but he missed the 2008 crash entirely, and (so far) his call on bonds since has been a swing and miss. While he had been advising towards more credit risk, he was advising to keep duration around one year since about 2009-10, and that hasn't played out as well.
I don't know if you subscribe, as I have for many decades, but his buy alerts are absolutely amazing. They occur infrequently, about once every two years on average, but he's called the market bottom TO THE DAY numerous times without getting mass credit for it. I've made a fortune off of him. Not kidding.

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Over the years Brinker was mostly buy and hold even though he had his timing model. In the late 1980's he went to 100% cash at the wrong time. After that he came out with timing model 2.0, a supposedly improved version. He used it to go partially to cash in 2000 and back in stocks during 2003. Those were the only times he used it. As mentioned, he failed to see the bear market in 2007-2009. His many "gift-horse" buying opportunities were based mainly on technical analysis, not his model. Many times an investor could not take advantage of them unless they had new money because he already had followers fully invested when he issued those buying opportunities.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:40 pm

moehoward wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am
nedsaid wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:08 am
Sad to hear that Bob Brinker is retiring. I was an avid listener from the mid-1980's until the early 2000's, stopped listening to him about 2005. He was then what Bogleheads are for me today, the place where I turned for solid financial advice.

He was the guru of do-it-yourself investing through no-load mutual funds and staying away from the "sharks", self-serving investment advisors. He also got me turned on to indexing. Bob was the source of sensible advice. He lost his luster after his disastrous QQQ call. Not perfect but a big influence on me. I wish him well in retirement.
I agree with you about the QQQ. I listened for a long time and subscribed to his newsletter. He was one of the first for simple investing and influenced me greatly at the time. I occasionally listened to his show in the past 7 years, not that good. I forgot the hi-tech chip that he recommended, which I bought and lost money on. On the good side, we went to cash during his 2000 call and then got back in later. We made money but I consider myself lucky taking his advice. My wife was moving her IRA at the time and went to cash at the perfect time. Again, we got lucky.
The QQQ episode reminded me of the Jane Bryant Quinn quote that the Market Timer Hall of Fame is an empty room. There is a lot of roadkill on the highway to the Market Timer Hall of Fame and unfortunately Bob was one of the victims. I also remember Elaine Garzarelli. As the late Yogi Berra said, "Making predictions is hard, particularly about the future."
A fool and his money are good for business.

1year23

Post by 1year23 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Anyone remember his phrase: being in the catbird seat?

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm

1year23 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 pm
I do remember he frequently made the reference to someone who "had it made" or "had everything under control."
This forum seems to have a number of posters who are in the catbird seat.
Bob

timmy

Post by timmy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Big fan of Bob. I've listened since high school (yes, always been a nerd). Overall, I found his advice sound. I never paid much attention to the market timing aspect.

In the past few years, I picked up podcasting and stopped listening to the radio (mostly).

I did catch the last show. It was very modest, almost too modest. Bob was mostly all business. He did get a little choked up at the very end.

Post by 123 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Over the years he sometimes mentioned the need to be prepared for the MoneyTalk final exam but I guess he himself never got around to getting it ready.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 pm

"The best government that money can buy"
"Stocks are climbing the Wall of Worry"

Thanks Bob. Best of luck.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Listened to Bob back in the '80s and '90s, Saturday and Sunday shows. Really enjoyed them and learned a lot from him.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm

I have listened as background noise some Sundays. I think he was better 20 years ago. In recent years he loves the calls that brag about their net worth and praise him, but I suspect that he screens critical calls. So many of the calls were "Thank you Bob...".

Frankly I found him very testy and intolerant of calls with contrary views, and also I detected a liberal political bias so often in his comments.
I believe he has done very well for himself financially.

I was a brief subscriber but did not really get into his model portfolio recommendations. They probably did pretty well, but you could probably have saved years of subscriptions by just using a two or three fund portfolio as described in bogleheads.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:35 pm

I didn't always agree with him, but enjoyed his show. I haven't listened much lately as I am rarely in the car when he is on and you have to pay to get his recast. His newsletter was called the "Markettimer" if I recall correctly. I listened to him more before being in index funds.

Long ago I bought a stock he recommended (after doing some of my own research) and it was a disaster.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Funny, in recent years, I tended to listen to Bob on weekends after bad market weeks. Sort of out of habit. Sort of to get perspective. I would have listened this weekend, for sure!

William Million

Post by William Million » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

When Terry Savage filled in, she was quite good. I actually emailed her a question after a show (she encouraged it), and her advice made a big difference in my wealth accumulation.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 pm

anyone follow his "portfolios" -- been a long time - but I recall he claimed following them would make you money. I think you had to pay a fee to subscribe?

watchman1675

Post by watchman1675 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:07 pm

moehoward wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am
nedsaid wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:08 am
Sad to hear that Bob Brinker is retiring. I was an avid listener from the mid-1980's until the early 2000's, stopped listening to him about 2005. He was then what Bogleheads are for me today, the place where I turned for solid financial advice.

He was the guru of do-it-yourself investing through no-load mutual funds and staying away from the "sharks", self-serving investment advisors. He also got me turned on to indexing. Bob was the source of sensible advice. He lost his luster after his disastrous QQQ call. Not perfect but a big influence on me. I wish him well in retirement.
I agree with you about the QQQ. I listened for a long time and subscribed to his newsletter. He was one of the first for simple investing and influenced me greatly at the time. I occasionally listened to his show in the past 7 years, not that good. I forgot the hi-tech chip that he recommended, which I bought and lost money on. On the good side, we went to cash during his 2000 call and then got back in later. We made money but I consider myself lucky taking his advice. My wife was moving her IRA at the time and went to cash at the perfect time. Again, we got lucky.
When I come across negative comments regarding Bob's QQQ call, it reminds me of what my dad always told me growing up, "you can do it 1000 times perfect but they only remember the one you didn't get right". Investing over 30 plus years and expecting a 100% perfect track record seems a bit unrealistic. I credit Bob Brinker for getting me interested in investing for the land of critical mass and Vanguard low cost index funds even before I ever heard of John Bogle. To be honest, he is the sole reason I even have a 1.2m portfolio at age 52 having never made higher than my current salary of 70k even though he would say I did it all. Thank you Bob Brinker for the education and I wish you a long healthy and happy retirement.

smectym

Post by smectym » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 pm

1year23 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 pm
I did hear Brinker make reference to being “in the catbird seat” once or twice. Brinker may have picked the expression up from a well-known short story by James Thurber,

http://thereycenter.org/uploads/3/4/3/2 ... hurber.pdf

or conceivably, from Thurber’s source: Brooklyn Dodgers radio announcer Red Barber.

Smectym