Moneytalk with Bob Brinker coming to an end

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Jim180

Moneytalk with Bob Brinker coming to an end

Post by Jim180 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Bob Brinker is retiring, and with it comes the end of Moneytalk. The final program is Sunday Sept 30 4-7PM EDT. Brinker gave a lot of good advice on the program over the 32 year run and had Mr. Bogle as a guest at least once. The only thing I disagreed with Bob about was his belief in Marketiming.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/r ... _id=n35965

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Re: Moneytalk with Bob Brinker coming to an end

Post by goodenyou » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:35 am

That is sad to see. I started listening to Bob in the 1980s when I was in graduate school. He educated me on the basics of investing and the importance of low fees. I tried to listen to him every Saturday and Sunday even though I had no money to invest at the time. He moved to only Sundays a few years ago, and it seemed like he was beginning to wind it down. I have called in several times and have been on the air with him to ask questions over the many years. His tone became abrupt and overconfident as he aged. As I became more sophisticated in my investing knowledge, his content became much more basic, repetitive and superficial. My kids will always remember his bumper music as it was often playing in the car or in the house on any given weekend over many years. That was "dad's time" to listen to "that boring radio show". They got a kick out of hearing my voice on national radio when I would call in with a question or comment. The kids are older now and have a different perspective. It would be nice to see a Bogleheads syndicated radio program take its place. Maybe someone here can step up to the plate (microphone).
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:07 am

"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!"
It was a good show. He had a lot of great guests, and largely gave good advice. I haven't listened in many years, but I'll have to remember to check out this final episode.
"Katy bar the door!"
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:57 am

I guess he reached critical mass. I never really listened to him, but know of him. Good Luck to Bob!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:55 am

Gonna miss him, I spent many hours riding my bike listening to him on Sundays, started listening about 25 years ago. Usually good sound advice. IMHO the last 5 or 6 years he would take 20 minutes to answer a question, and even then he just was not saying much. He didn't like to admit he could be wrong sometimes so he would ramble on and on to prove his point and lose the oppurtunity to really help someone. He always spoke highly of Jack Bogle though. The bottom line he was selling a way way over priced "BB Marketimer Newsletter". Kind of scammy, basic info...only $185 per year.
Last edited by socaldude on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 am

Remembering his first show. The Boston Patriots got blown out by the Bears on Super Bowl Sunday. I have been a avid listener, subscriber and bored listener during his tenure. Although I never considered myself a Market-timer, I feel he had an impact on my reaching critical mass. He certainly could be described as abrupt and unpleasant to some callers, but his guest were first rate and timely. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Dominic
Dominic

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Same here, good show. His model portfolios not so good.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

Post by 123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 pm

I've been listening to him pretty much since 1986, I just happened accross his program. I also listened while riding my bike for many years around town and along the beach, his show was on from 1 - 4 p.m. on the west coast. After listening to him I realized it was much easier to consolidate mutual fund holdings at a brokerage instead of holidng indiidual accounts all over. I also moved to more of an indexing strategy, initially the Vanguard S&P 500 Fund and later on the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund based on listening to him. Along the way I even subscribed to his newsletter for 2 or 3 years around 2000. I used to enjoy his programs more when he was on both Saturdays and Sundays, he just seemed more engaged. After he went to Sundays only it seemed that he had many more repeats and much of the content seemed more general as well so that it would be more suitable for reruning. For many years he would predict the return for upcoming treasury auctions (actually simple to do if you keep track of the yield on treasury resales in the Wall Street Journal), but he discountinued that I think because it was content that was too "timely" (would have to edit out for a rerun). I even started a subscription to SiriusXM radio to have an option to listen to his program without pre-emptions by sporting events but he was dropped by SiriusXM after I had only had that for a couple of months.

If you could ignore or get past the frequent ads for his newsletter I felt his program was generally very good. He was a signficant influence on my financial life. I'm surprised he's lasted as long as he has, though he's been slowing down on new content quite a bit lately. I'm thankful for his efforts and wish him well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:53 pm

^ ^ ^
My experience very similar to that of 123.
I was a long time listener but not so much in recent years especially when it became difficult to find a radio station that carried the show.
I credit Bob for introducing me to Vanguard and its Total Stock Market fund.
Does anyone recall someone who occasionally filled in for him? I vaguely recall someone (forgot name) who did and I heard him on a rant one day using one of the seven words you cannot use on radio. :shock: I never heard from him again.
Bob

JourneymanRick

Post by JourneymanRick » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:12 pm

I've been listening to him since 1990. Can anyone recommend an alternate show to listen to on radio, tv or online etc.? Or podcasts? Would like to keep learning! :)

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:45 pm

I listened to Brinker's show regularly for many years and learned a lot from him.

I have purchased iBonds every year since year 2000 based on his recommendations - and of course the iBonds from the early 2000's are still earning those juicy fixed rates today. They remain the foundation of my bond/"safety" allocation.

I began planning my early retirement withdrawal strategy around his version of the 4% rule - 50/50 asset allocation, spend the dividends and interest and, through the yearly rebalance take, capital gains to round up to a total of 4% of the portfolio to be spent each year. Although I didn't follow his approach exactly, it was what I needed to begin making specific plans for my early retirement.

He not only promoted the idea of "Critical Mass" - that one could build a financial portfolio and then use it to live off of - he presented concepts and strategies to get achieve it.

He maintained an excellent personal finance "reading lists". Sometimes he had some very engaging guests one could not find on other outlets back in the day.

On the other hand I found his "investment letter" to be basically useless, and I resented receiving "invoices" years after I had discontinued my subscription. His "market timing" completely missed the 2008-09 crash, the most significant stock market event and the number one timing opportunity of our lifetimes. And it was actually a segment by his fill-in host Bill Flanagan that convinced me to to "stay the course" and not cash out in the middle of the turmoil.

Over time I found other sources of information and inspiration, but I will be forever grateful to Bob Brinker for helping me during an important period on my path to financial independence - oh sorry the "Land of Critical Mass" - and I wish him all the best for the future.

Lindyhopper

Post by Lindyhopper » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 pm

I haven't listened to Bob in a long time; I didn't realize that he was still on the air.
But back when I did listen to him, he got me to buy Vanguard Total Stock Market Index, my first index fund, with a monthly purchase. And for that I am grateful.
:happy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Have not listened to him in many years.

Does he still like the Vanguard GNMA fund?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:19 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:10 pm
Have not listened to him in many years.

Does he still like the Vanguard GNMA fund?
I haven't listened to him in years, but I remember him discouraging against the GNMA, and most bond funds with a duration longer than a year or two back in 2009-10. He made a good call on the GNMA fund way back, but was too early in his concern on interest rates rising (as were many other pundits).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:00 pm

I was on the air last month challenging him about reducing bond duration in the environment of rising interest rates. He was steadfast on his recommendation to reduce duration to no more than a year in this environment. He became somewhat irritated when I asked about investment horizon entering into the decision to reduce duration and if it was a form of trying to time the bond market. He responded with an opinion that he didn’t want to see an erosion in his bond principle at this time.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

toddanderson

Post by toddanderson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:03 pm

I too will miss the show Can anyone recommend an alternate show to listen to

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:04 pm

toddanderson wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:03 pm
I too will miss the show Can anyone recommend an alternate show to listen to
The new Bogleheads On Investing podcast of course ;)
https://bogleheads.podbean.com/

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm

If my husband and I were in the car on a Sunday afternoon, we would tune in Bob Brinker. My husband especially liked Bob Brinker's "Land of Critical Mass." For those you didn't listen to him, per his website, Critical Mass is defined as:
A state of freedom from worry and anxiety about money due to the accumulation of assets which make it possible to live your life as you choose without working if you prefer not to work or just working because you enjoy your work but don't need the income. Plainly stated, the Land of Critical Mass is a place in which individuals enjoy their own personal financial nirvana. Differentiation between earned income and assets is a fundamental lesson to learn when thinking in terms of critical mass. Earned income does not produce critical mass......critical mass is strictly a function of assets.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:15 pm

He is probably the one who got me into Vanguard, though it took awhile to finally make the move. I must have been listening ca 2000, that era, or earlier. Liked his theme music also. Some talkers like Prager just can't seem to get that right.

Brinker and everyone else back then recommended GNMA all the time Not so hot anymore eh?

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:47 pm

goodenyou wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:00 pm
I was on the air last month challenging him about reducing bond duration in the environment of rising interest rates. He was steadfast on his recommendation to reduce duration to no more than a year in this environment. He became somewhat irritated when I asked about investment horizon entering into the decision to reduce duration and if it was a form of trying to time the bond market. He responded with an opinion that he didn’t want to see an erosion in his bond principle at this time.
Brinker was way too early on his move to lower duration. He panicked back in 2013 during the "taper tantrum", went to lower duration but then intermediate and long duration bonds did well until this year so he cost his followers some gains there.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:12 pm

I haven’t listened to his show in many years, but I used to be a regular listener during the 1990s and early 2000s. Never subscribed to his newsletter (or any other), but I think it was Bob who got me into iBonds and perhaps index funds (not really sure, I read a lot of books and magazines at the time, too).

Looks like I will have time to tune in one more time for sentimental reasons tomorrow. Thank you for starting this thread.

Details

Post by Details » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:59 pm

I've been a Brinker listener since the early 90s, (need to crawl through the attic to check papework, it could have been earlier).
I also subscribe to the Marketimer, but haven't followed his portfolio advice for a long time.
I found it to be to much mail, that that was before online paperwork. I moved almost everything to
VTSAX.
I did get out on his call in 2000, sold all my Mutual Funds, but I also bought into QQQ when he said,
and sold out after a substantial loss. (I did invest more than he suggested) I'm still writing that off,
a little each year, almost done!
I thank him very much for getting me into VTSAX and to just keep saving, I have reached 'Critical Mass'
I used to go into work just before 3pm on Saturday and Sunday, it was just me, my radio and my work bench.
I was learning from him and getting work done earning money. (doing VCR repair back in those days).
I still try to listen every Sunday, but it does get frustrating when he misses a point
that he should have commented on or, goes off on the wrong tangent.
I still have a disagreement with him about Roth Conversions, I know they are not for everyone (high earners)
but for many, they are a great tax saver over the long term. I sent him a personal letter detailing the math
and other advantages Roth Conversion advantages, he didn't respond and continued with his,
"why give up that money now" line. There is a good reason, it's called tax!
I will miss him.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. He is a fine and decent man and I listened to him on and off over the years depending on whether I could get a radio signal. For some reason, in the NYC, NJ area there are zero radio stations with it. But I recently found him readily available on Talk Stream radio. He helped get me started and I will miss him. I hope he has a healthy and happy remainder of his career as I guess he still will be in the trade.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:34 pm

I used to listen to him back when I really didn't know any better. I also was a short-term subscriber to his Marketimer newsletter. In fact, just the other day I received a new subscription form. I will not be taking him up on that.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:45 pm

I listened regularly in the '90. I wish I'd taken his EE bond advice when he first gave it. Later on he started having lots of substitutes on his program with varying results.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm

I will miss Bob. I remember listening to him randomly while heading places on Saturday nights or returning from trips on Sundays. I learned a lot from his observations and guest interviews. Unfortunately I am not currently in one of his radio markets so will miss the final episode.
Larry Kudlow took over his Saturday slot when Brinker gave up Saturdays. I wonder if anyone will inherit the Sunday slot. -criticalmass

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm

I subscribed to his newsletter and he recommended Janus Venture so I put a rollover from a previous employer into it at about $40 in 1998. Got nervous in December 1999 and sold it all at about $120. It reached it's high of 156.19 in March of 2000. It has never even come close since.

I don't regret bailing early. Better early than late. Don't recall if Bob told his subscribers to sell prior to that.

I stayed subscribed a little while longer and then dropped it. Still get email invoices from him.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:18 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm
... Unfortunately I am not currently in one of his radio markets so will miss the final episode...
If interested, can likely hear it here: http://www.kabc.com/2015/03/20/money-talk-podcast/

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Unfortunately I am not currently in one of his radio markets so will miss the final episode.
Brinker was taken off my local radio station about 4 or 5 years ago but I have continued to listen to him live online on KKOB Albuquerque, NM.

jcar

Post by jcar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:09 pm

criticalmass wrote:
I will miss Bob. I remember listening to him randomly while heading places on Saturday nights or returning from trips on Sundays. I learned a lot from his observations and guest interviews. Unfortunately I am not currently in one of his radio markets so will miss the final episode.
Larry Kudlow took over his Saturday slot when Brinker gave up Saturdays. I wonder if anyone will inherit the Sunday slot. -criticalmass
I began listening in the late 90s. He made a call I believe in early 2000 to pull away from equities and go to bonds. I followed his advice and did quite well. Later in that year he advised " scalping profits from a bear market" where he said to invest in certain funds for a short period. I did this and again hit the jackpot. After doing this I've not pursued market timing again so I really just got lucky. Always enjoyed his show. Will try to listen Sunday.

smectym

Post by smectym » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 am

“Critical Mass” (i.e., “smallest amount of fissile material needed for a sustained nuclear chain reaction”),is Brinker’s interesting application to personal finance of a term originally drawn from thermonuclear physics.

Of course the term resonates with the Cold War climate in which Brinker and his first listeners were immersed. The young on this forum will be surprised by how much the young of Cuban Missile Crisis times knew about Minuteman and Titan, kilotons and megatons, submarine-launched ICBM’s, Mutual Assured Destruction and the rest of it.

But Brinker adapts the physics terminology to personal finance. “Critical Mass” becomes “the smallest amount of capital needed to sustain personal financial independence.”

Lurking behind “Critical Mass,” however, is the mustier and more traditional conception of the “rentier,” defined by Cambridge, inter alia, with the stigmatic notation “Disapproving”: “a person whose money comes from investments and who therefore does not have to work.”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... sh/rentier

tsk tsk, he lives off his investments, cluck cluck. But perhaps, as between telling your neighbor that you’ve become a member of the rentier class, vs. cheerily announcing you’ve “reached Critical Mass,” the latter has more of a beat to it and is less open to sour constructions by jaundiced acquaintances.

So thank you Bob Brinker. You’ve translated a generation of morally suspect, degenerate, blood-sucking “rentiers” to upbeat, with-it competitive spirits who have “reached Critical Mass.”

Of course we haven’t hit the “It’s gonna BLOW!” part of the chain reaction narrative. But that gives us something to look forward to.

Smectym

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:08 am

Sad to hear that Bob Brinker is retiring. I was an avid listener from the mid-1980's until the early 2000's, stopped listening to him about 2005. He was then what Bogleheads are for me today, the place where I turned for solid financial advice.

He was the guru of do-it-yourself investing through no-load mutual funds and staying away from the "sharks", self-serving investment advisors. He also got me turned on to indexing. Bob was the source of sensible advice. He lost his luster after his disastrous QQQ call. Not perfect but a big influence on me. I wish him well in retirement.
A fool and his money are good for business.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am

nedsaid wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:08 am
Sad to hear that Bob Brinker is retiring. I was an avid listener from the mid-1980's until the early 2000's, stopped listening to him about 2005. He was then what Bogleheads are for me today, the place where I turned for solid financial advice.

He was the guru of do-it-yourself investing through no-load mutual funds and staying away from the "sharks", self-serving investment advisors. He also got me turned on to indexing. Bob was the source of sensible advice. He lost his luster after his disastrous QQQ call. Not perfect but a big influence on me. I wish him well in retirement.
I agree with you about the QQQ. I listened for a long time and subscribed to his newsletter. He was one of the first for simple investing and influenced me greatly at the time. I occasionally listened to his show in the past 7 years, not that good. I forgot the hi-tech chip that he recommended, which I bought and lost money on. On the good side, we went to cash during his 2000 call and then got back in later. We made money but I consider myself lucky taking his advice. My wife was moving her IRA at the time and went to cash at the perfect time. Again, we got lucky.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am

moehoward wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am
I forgot the hi-tech chip that he recommended, which I bought and lost money on.
Ultratech Stepper?

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am
moehoward wrote:
I forgot the hi-tech chip that he recommended, which I bought and lost money on.
Ultratech Stepper?
Thank you, yes that was the one I lost money on. Ultatech employees had an 401k option that was part of a management firm that Brinker was the principal. Brinker got busted on the Nightly News. https://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg ... d=10643704

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:50 pm

moehoward wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am
moehoward wrote:
Ultratech Stepper?
Thank you, yes that was the one I lost money on. Ultatech employees had an 401k option that was part of a management firm that Brinker was the principal. Brinker got busted on the Nightly News. https://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg ... d=10643704
I lost money on it too, that's why I remembered it. Didn't know about Brinker having a connection to it though. Interesting.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:35 pm

I've listened to Brinker for about 30 years, although recently very sporadically. Early on he would make predictions on the air about the markets and they were remarkably accurate. He is the only guy that I've ever seen who could reliably time the stock market.

I subscribed to his newsletter decades ago and, although mostly boring, he does occasionally come out with Brinker Alerts that have made me TONS of money. Although not perfect, his market timing has always been incredible and I will continue to subscribe to his newsletter.

Thank you, Bob, and best wishes for a happy radio retirement!

toddanderson

Post by toddanderson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Does anyone know all what the indicators he uses, when to buy the stocks sp, or put new money into the stock market.

Kennyt7

Post by Kennyt7 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm

did he believe in market timing which is nonsensical
according to james lange roth conversions are universally a good thing

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 pm

toddanderson wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm
Does anyone know all what the indicators he uses, when to buy the stocks sp, or put new money into the stock market.
https://www.cxoadvisory.com/2745/indivi ... b-brinker/

... We conclude that:

Bob Brinker’s market timing model is based on: state of the economic cycle, monetary policy, valuations and investor sentiment.
His web site offers little insight regarding forecasting methodology or record ...

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Bob just said that he's going to make a special announcement at the end of his last show (which is coming up at the end of this hour). Unfortunately I will not be able to hear what he says as he closes out his last show after more than 3 decades due to a prior engagement. If anyone happens to hear it I'd appreciate it if they could share it with us. Thanks! .

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I listen to most of it and the last 10 min he spent thanking everyone and said that he will be continuing to work on his newsletter and investing.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

zaplunken

Bob Brinker just signed off for the last time

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:00 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I am not a MT and I don't follow what Brinker sells but I do like listening to his show. Apparently it has come to an end with no explanation. He said he will continue to write the MT newsletter.

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Correct... nothing new. Maybe it was his intent to continue with his newsletter?

JoMoney

Re: Bob Brinker just signed off for the last time

Post by JoMoney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:16 pm

We have an earlier thread over here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=260078

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Brinker said that radio stations will continue to run a "best of Moneytalk" during the month of October if anyone wants to listen to some of the better calls over the years. His goodbye message was more brief than I thought it would be. I think his 77th birthday is tomorrow so maybe that's why he chose this weekend to finish.

zaplunken

Re: Bob Brinker just signed off for the last time

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks I wasn't aware of that. Mods can you delete this thread?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:54 pm

^^^ zaplunken - I merged your thread into the on-going discussion. Deleting the thread would also delete the reply (not desired).

BTW - To get a moderator's attention sooner, report the post using the "!" in the top-right corner of the post. One of the reasons is "Duplicate thread". (Thanks to the member who did just that.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm
I listen to most of it and the last 10 min he spent thanking everyone and said that he will be continuing to work on his newsletter and investing.
Thanks.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you Lady Geek, that didn't occur to me.

I listened to Bob for a long time but I can't recall when I started. It may have been the 1st show cuz I remember driving home from Long Island and a stupid (Super) bowl game was on and I'm pretty sure it was the Bears. I wanted to listen to something that would be on for hours to complete the drive. His advice in the 90's was solid quality basic good advice but after the QQQQ debacle (and some other things I found out after that) I stopped listening. I started again 4 or 5 years ago and found him to be stale and pretty non committal, God forbid he give free advice and lose a subscriber to his MT newsletter! The calls all seemed to be pretty much the same from week to week. He seemed to be short and testy with callers and honestly I found him to be a bore yet I listened cuz I like financial talk shows. Who in their right mind with 2 or 3 million dollars calls a radio program for 2 minutes of "advice"! :oops: